• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Leroy looks so fucking good I am speechless. Probably my favourite newcomer since forever.

That Baki/Kengan Ashura reject kickboxer is shit.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019

One is a bear, another a robot with human proportions, Yoshimitsu changes from game to game but is still with human proportions, and the last one a monster (genetic mutations or whatever).
New character is a terrible design of a human without human proportions (a bit like Abigail in SFV). If people can't see the difference...

But hey, Jiyuna defends absolutely everything in Tekken, including paid framedata and that year where the tournaments had nearly no money for competitors.

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Leroy: fuck yeah day 1!

Ganryu: whatever.

That deformed abomination: no thanks, should have been Bruce from day 1.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
Man, at my level I am exclusively a fan of no-nonsense characters like Jack or Kazumi and Leroy seems like he'll be a very advanced one.

His design though... Is he one of the best designed gaming characters in recent memory?

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Fahkumram is growing on me; I am glad they are trying new things with their character design. Leroy on the other hand is the coolest fucking character ever made. What a fucking G, unreal.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
lbNy6me.gif
THE STREAM IS OOOOVER!

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
The more I look at the Thai guy the more I like him, although he would've been infinitely more interesting if he was actually like 8 feet tall like they initially showed lmao.

What is there to even say about Leroy at this point, dude drips.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
is julia and ganryu just the "bro you posted cringe. you are going to lose subscriber" meme

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Is the new guy like a mui thai super solider? He looks tight though , folks were saying saget but he doesn't really have anything in common besides "tall" I'll mess around with him.

Ip man I mean Leroy looks fire though

Oct 25, 2017
People post crap like this every time there's a bad Tekken character design. Having robots and bears in your game doesn't excuse anything and doesn't mean whatever character design the devs create is immune from criticism.

Tekken has a diverse set of characters, referencing a broad range of fighting styles.

The character designs draw influences from famous martial artists, martial arts and action movies from a variety of countries, anime from the past three or four decades, modern Japanese popular culture and other fighting games.

In the past few years it has broadened that to include characters from a western TV show and a popular RPG.

I honestly don't see Fahkumram or any other designs from the past few years being particularly irregular given the influences they draw from. You're more than welcome to complain though. The development team clearly take fan feedback into consideration.

Last edited:

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
If Josie comes back for Tekken 7, maybe they'll make her more obviously an Eskrima fighter; give her the two sticks instead, since Fahkumram can cover Muay Thai.

edit: lol Tekken 8 I mean

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Tekken has a diverse set of characters, referencing a broad range of fighting styles.

The character designs draw influences from famous martial artists, martial arts and action movies from a variety of countries, anime from the past three or four decades, modern Japanese popular culture and other fighting games.

In the past few years it has broadened that to include characters from western TV show and a popular RPG.

I honestly don't see Fahkumram or any other designs from the past few years being particularly irregular given the influences they draw from. You're more than welcome to complain though. The development team clearly take fan feedback into consideration.

I've been playing Tekken since Tekken 3 and already know all about the franchise and its petulant devs. All of this still doesn't make any criticism of character design invalid.

Tekken is in a sad state. At this point at the end of a console cycle, we would have seen 3 new Tekken games instead of 3 season passes. They released 1 game and are milking its success as far as they can.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Tekken since Tekken 3 and already know all about the franchise and its petulant devs. All of this still doesn't make any criticism of character design invalid.

Tekken is in a sad state. At this point at the end of a console cycle, we would have seen 3 new Tekken games instead of 3 season passes. They released 1 game and are milking its success as far as they can.
How dare they support the game!!
People love T7. It has a healthy player base and people love watching. It makes absolutely 0 sense from literally any perspective to want them to just drop support and make a new game. What in the world is this post

Oct 28, 2019
I feel this Leroy character is an excellent way to make a black character. He feel like an actual black man instead of just a character with dark skin.(based in n this trailer). Sure there are a few stereotypes in his design, but nothing I find offensive and it helps give his character some flavor that sets him apart from just another character with dark skin. Often people ask for representation and are just satisfied with a skin color change but the Tekken guys made something I could see an actual black person doing. Good job in my opinion.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I think these new characters look alright. Very stereotypical unfortunately so I'm not in love with them. I do appreciate the DLC support though.

Village

Oct 25, 2017

Yo uh, I dunno if you play fightging games but most fighters are moving to 1 a generation bunch of dlc style thing

and IIRC tekken is more popular and profitable than its been in a while.

Like... have you played a fighting game in the past several years, did you crawl out from under a rock

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Leroy looks awesome. I wonder what is up with those cane moves, where does he get it from? does the dog bring it to him or just a customization item?

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I feel this Leroy character is an excellent way to make a black character. He feel like an actual black man instead of just a character with dark skin.
I don't really like this line of thinking because what it means to be a black means means very different things to different black people.

But he looks cool, so that's dope

Oct 27, 2017
How dare they support the game!!
People love T7. It has a healthy player base and people love watching. It makes absolutely 0 sense from literally any perspective to want them to just drop support and make a new game. What in the world is this post

The game is frequently dead when I'm playing online so I wouldn't call it a healthy player base.

And apparently expecting an established franchise to deliver new games is now out of this world. What in the world is your post.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
The game is frequently dead when I'm playing online so I wouldn't call it a healthy player base.

And apparently expecting an established franchise to deliver new games is now out of this world. What in the world is your post.

Is Tekken the only fighting game you pay attention to? One game and DLC/post-launch support has been the way to go since the start of the generarion.

Tekken 7 is also really really loved so it makes sense to give it even more seasons. Really healthy tournament and stream scene. Netcode is horrible so a lot of people don't play online

Oct 27, 2017
Yo uh, I dunno if you play fightging games but most fighters are moving to 1 a generation bunch of dlc style thing

and IIRC tekken is more popular and profitable than its been in a while.

Like... have you played a fighting game in the past several years, did you crawl out from under a rock

This is not true, especially when Netherrealm has released Injustice 2, MKX, an MK11.

Tekken is not even close to being as profitable as it was during the PS1 and PS2 era when there 3 new entries each new console cycle.

Is Tekken the only fighting game you pay attention to? One game and DLC/post-launch support has been the way to go since the start of the generarion.

Tekken 7 is also really really loved so it makes sense to give it even more seasons. Really healthy tournament and stream scene

Read above

Village

Oct 25, 2017
This is not true, especially when Netherrealm has released Injustice 2, MKX, an MK11.

Tekken is not even close to being as profitable as it was during the PS1 and PS2 era when there 3 new entries each new console cycle.
Actually MK11 specifically has been noted by neather realm themselves to be a game to last a while. So it might be the last MK you get for a long ass time. So yeah, even them it seems. Even the timing of the game is condusive to it being cross gen.

And ... how do you know that. Sales and DLC sales seem solid so. It works for them. How is tekken in a sad state? Its more profitable and popular besides ... tekken 3 the street fighter 2 of tekken? That's really good.

You just sound like an old man yelling at clouds man

Oct 25, 2017
No, they have been working and improving a good starting point and that has resulted in Tekken being better than ever. Two more games with no content or polish would have been a terrible alternative.

That's why Netherrealm games are extremely lacking when in comes to the competitive scene, eventhough they sell better.
Players prefer one good package instead of three bad ones. You are in the minority here, sorry.

And the game is definitely very active online, it's the most played fighting game on Steam, for example.

MYkpl9Y.png

Last edited:

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017

Read above
The only needed reply to any of your posts is literally "okay boomer"
Netherrealm is pretty much the only FG dev releasing multiple games and even then, they've said MK11 is gonna last a while. Its like you've only just now noticed how FGs work in the modern age.

Oct 27, 2017
No, they have been working and improving a good starting point and that has resulted in Tekken being better than ever. Two more games with no content or polish would have been a terrible alternative.

That's why Netherrealm games are extremely lacking when in comes to competitive scene, eventhough they sell better.
Player prefer one good package instead of three bad ones. You are in the minority here, sorry.
Lol Tekken 7 is the only Tekken game that released in an unpolished state, with several missing features that past entries provided despite having 2 years cooking in the arcades

Gush

Nov 17, 2017

What? Never thought I'd see the day where people would rather have to buy three separate games instead of having one that's well supported for years.

Anyway, Leroy rules. Not hot on Ganryu or value brand Sagat but I guess they really don't want to bring Bruce back for whatever reason.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Tekken is dumb as hell lmao

Fahkumram probably looked dope in the concept art but man he does not translate well to 3D.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Also 3 full games in a single gen with the graphical fidelity of Tekken seems completely unrealistic. Dev times exist. Franchise fatigue also exists. it's much more feasible to develop one game and iterate over an entire gen, rather than make 3 different ones without fragmentation of the user base. For game development taking upto 5 years for a single game there wasn't ever going to be a case of 3 individual installments.

PSX era Tekken with 3 individual games is no way comparable to the current gen with exponentially higher budget costs and dev times for the release of a SINGLE game, let alone three, especially with an iterative series which tries to bring bigger production values over the previous title.

Oct 27, 2017
What? Never thought I'd see the day where people would rather have to buy three separate games instead of having one that's well supported for years.

Anyway, Leroy rules. Not hot on Ganryu or value brand Sagat but I guess they really don't want to bring Bruce back for whatever reason.
Yes how dare I want new, exciting content. Capcom should also just release Resident Evil 8 and keeping adding expansions to it instead of releasing Resident Evil 9.

Oct 25, 2017
Tekken 7 is one of the best selling games in the franchise and in the genre, universally well received.

"What a sad state, why aren't they milking multiple SKUs that would sell less and dilute the brand/goodwill instead of milking DLC like the new standard of consumption requires"

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil

That's why Netherrealm games are extremely lacking when in comes to the competitive scene, eventhough they sell better.
Players prefer one good package instead of three bad ones. You are in the minority here, sorry.

And the game is definitely very active online, it's the most played fighting game on Steam, for example.

EQvaLgz.png

King of Fighters XIII more played than XIV? That's a surprise lol

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Yes how dare I want new, exciting content. Capcom should also just release Resident Evil 8 and keeping adding expansions to it instead of releasing Resident Evil 9.

You can probably relax with the dramatics, but I don't even know what you mean here. We've had new, exciting content and you're making a real braindead comparison between a fighting game and a single player horror game.

What exactly are you even looking for?