• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
How do I achieve this natty?
hipertextual-resident-evil-3-remake-nunca-estaras-salvo-nemesis-ni-salas-seguras-2020605152.jpg

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I could have sworn Binary Domain had a trailer with a screaming robot that had identical top and bottom teeth, but I can't immediately find it.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I wonder if Teeth has opinions on this thread 👀

The other day I was considering creating a thread wherein people would predict which major franchise/company would be the first to implement raytraced reflections/GI on character teeth.

It'll probably be someone like Naughty Dog.

despite my alias, i have no strong feelings about teeth really. I agree that it would be nice to see more varied teeth sets in games though.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Funny you say this as one of the first things I noticed about the witch lady everyone's obsessed with is how yellow and ugly her teeth were lmao

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
The other day I was considering creating a thread wherein people would predict which major franchise/company would be the first to implement raytraced reflections/GI on character teeth.

It'll probably be someone like Naughty Dog.

DMCV SE maybe? The game has very close-up shots of teeth during cutscenes, and it has ray tracing as well.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
DMCV SE maybe? The game has very close-up shots of teeth during cutscenes, and it has ray tracing as well.

I don't think they actually put it on the teeth though. Either the material they used for the teeth didn't hit the roughness cut off on their RT or the material itself was excluded.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I turned Greedfall off after the first five minutes when I saw my character's teeth. Something about them was incredible off-putting.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
It's something I don't really think about until someone points it out to me.

The same with characters in movies too.

It's wild how it sticks out though once you do start taking notice!

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Edit: no idea who this douchenozzle was, just a dumb video from YouTube recommendations that I won't recommend again. Thanks for the heads-ups.

Last edited:

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Lighting the mouth is harder so it's much easier to have a white set of teeth to provide visual contrast between the darker lips and very dark mouth interior, so the dialogue will actually read.

Notable that the messed up gnarly teeth example you posted is from a game where the protagonist never speaks!
Yeah its like a cartoons character teeth, not very realistic most of the time and there for contrast.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Its the annoying grey shadowing being cast from the head that usually bothers the shit out of me, actually. Happens in most modern games.

As for RE:VIII, I think they look great and its curious it bothers you since its the standard "attractive people always have good teeth" Just watch any movie, series or CW show regardless of time period

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Are there any games where you play as teeth? I feel like this should be a thing.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I remember the teeth in Quantum Break being very... good, I guess. Feels odd to be praising teeth.

IIRC they moulded and then modelled all the main actors' pearly whites.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
47F744330A865ADB03364B4C33FBB088DEDAF530

But yeah, it seems hard to get the lighting right on teeth. It was the one thing I noticed on Escharum in the Halo Infinite trailer

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, seriously, why give a crap about this? Devs overwork too much already, give them a break

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I was always bothered by the toothiness of people in Wolfenstein The New Order. Just constant dentures everywhere you look. It's one of those games with a bunch of scenes where your space is being regularly invaded in first-person too, all so these Nazis can leer at you with their teeth all teething out.

maxresdefault.jpg

5_1230.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

These fucks even put teeth on their machines

wolfenstein_the_new_order_review.jpg

Then you go back to home base, and wouldn't you know it, your supposed comrades are at it as well

13491A5D70D01C6EB598A5C82A447719F295A7D5

maxresdefault.jpg

Even Anya had a regular lip curl so you can be threatened by her pearly upper set at every moment

tumblr_oxzn33oc8A1urli1fo1_400.gifv

And by the end of game, with that much insidious tooth influence, there was just no hope for BJ

0.jpg

Just... just stop teething at me. Knock it off. Close your mouth a little. Jesus.

workplace_bullying.jpg

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Just a detail we can discuss and talk about. I don't see anyone blaming devs for not putting perfectly believable tooth.

Meh, the way the OP is framed with stuff like "Also, most developers would just give the majority of their character models the same set of teeth" is bordering on lazy devs rhetoric. It's obnoxious and a dumb nitpick imo. But whatever this thread is still good fun for the pic sharing alone.

OP
OP
chaobreaker

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Meh, the way the OP is framed with stuff like "Also, most developers would just give the majority of their character models the same set of teeth" is bordering on lazy devs rhetoric. It's obnoxious and a dumb nitpick imo. But whatever this thread is still good fun for the pic sharing alone.

The only thing I'm insinuating is that devs usually don't consider teeth when designing their characters. That's not laziness, that's just overlooking how teeth can add to a character's design and personalization.

I see all the highly detailed digitized face models they used on MK11 and merely believe if they modeled their teeth too than it would elevated the realism of the characters. It's what makes the violence and gore of modern Mortal Kombat so effective in the first place.

Look at these Witcher 3 characters

I haven't played the game but from looking at these character designs I can make an educated guess of what status they have in the world or what kind of role they have on the story.

For example the guy on the top screenshot is bruised and is missing a tooth so I can only assume he gets into fights often or at least got into one when Geralt meets him.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
She might be a menacing looking bug witch, but she's a HOT menacing looking bug witch. Don't forget it.