• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
When I watched that Resident Evil Village showcase, I couldn't help but notice the utterly immaculate and pearly-white set of teeth this menacing looking bug witch has.

Daniela.png

She looks like she hasn't showered or changed her clothes in the past decade but are we really to assume she whitens and flosses between her blood drinking sessions? She doesn't even bother the wipe the blood off her face!

I don't think I ever seen teeth in video games that don't look either too uncannily perfect to its detriment or a jarring low-poly texture job.

Also, most developers would just give the majority of their character models the same set of teeth. When I regularly played Mortal Kombat 11, I got squicked out by the massive set of chompers they modeled on every normal human character. It just looks off when you see some of them talk.

maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

It's especially egregious given that these faces are modeled after real people. Most of the time it looks like they're wearing cheap dentures.

Never came across a character creator that lets you customize your create-a-character teeth either until Demon's Souls 2020 came along. I mean they let you slap some absolutely gnarly looking teeth on your character but its a level of depth I've never seen in a game before. Kudos to Bluepoint.

m5kfpvpc0wg87rsxs3fq.jpg

TL;DR devs should put more consideration on what they put in their character's mouths.

That's it. That's the OP.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
that demon's souls remake character is still using their exfoliating gel scrub every morning though

Red Dead Online has some fairly realistic teeth, and some fucked up ones.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Never came across a character creator that lets you customize your create-a-character teeth either until Demon's Souls 2020 came along.
Haha this is exactly what I thought would be here before I clicked on the thread… yeah… some of the best teeth in video games right there! lol

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Aloy from Horizon: Zero Dawn
C53vv0uXMAIFFb1

Still too white though

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Kratos needs some dental care

d3xdnhglwax01.jpg

Surprisingly Last of us 2, which even has details like armpit hair, keeps those teeth pretty pearly white and straight despite the post apocalypse

Last edited:

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Thread honestly makes me think of the Hellblade 2 teaser.

Y3gSnUx.png

I guess I can only hope they can get the game running that well on console whenever it actually releases.

also: in before ACUnity face? nope

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I mean, I think there's plenty of games that have non-white teeth. Can't remember what I was playing but I noticed some gnarly teeth the other day.

There's definitely some games that have teerh that are too white though, but that's also true of movies and TV because most people don't have teeth anywhere near as white as your average celebrity.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I was really noticing this in Fallout 4. I can't tell if it's bad textures or if everyone outside of a Vault literally has rotted teeth. Either way, shit creeped me out.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The Joker has some pretty nasty teeth in the Arkham games, though obviously with that character they're a pretty central feature.

PettySpirit

Dec 23, 2018
A shout out to some of strongest teeth in the business. This man's dental hygiene is unparalleled.

DowJWxrX4AYJ3E9.jpg

SickNasty

Mar 18, 2020
Lighting the mouth is harder so it's much easier to have a white set of teeth to provide visual contrast between the darker lips and very dark mouth interior, so the dialogue will actually read.

Notable that the messed up gnarly teeth example you posted is from a game where the protagonist never speaks!

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Real people don't show their teeth like video game characters do.

I am not a fan of the current portrayal of teeth in video games. Creeps me out to see so many teeth.

panda-zebra

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
One thing I hate is when teeth seem to have their own light source and the insides of mouths glow with it. Plenty of games used to have it for some reason.

When I watched that Resident Evil Village showcase, I couldn't help but notice the utterly immaculate and pearly-white set of teeth this menacing looking bug witch has.
If you want a character to be both grotesque and attractive at the same time, the teeth have to be good.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Ahti from Control has some awesome messed up teeth. Remedy seems to care about mimicking the actor's teeth.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i was playing mafia 3 earlier last week and everytime i saw someones teeth i thought to myself the character model looks good but those teeth look fake like how eyes give you uncanny valley