• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

judavc

Oct 27, 2017
Why don't you tell us what you think of it first?

Well, I do not really know, as I said I'm not from Pasto, I see that the faces are painted black one day and white the next day?, but according to what I read the carnival is an attempt to unite the races with a lot of history. Then I wanted to hear other opinions because I know that blackface is racism, contrary to what they try to achieve. By the way, English is not my first language, so I apologize if something sounds weird.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Hostility, shaming of non-native speakers of English; accumulated infractions
Well, I do not really know, as I said I'm not from Pasto, I see that the faces are painted black one day and white the next day?, but according to what I read the carnival is an attempt to unite the races with a lot of history. Then I wanted to hear other opinions because I know that blackface is racism, contrary to what they try to achieve. By the way, English is not my first language, so I apologize if something sounds weird.

10 posts
Year old account
"I'm from somewhere that isn't America"
"It's not actually racist"
"English isn't my first language"

If you're gonna try to defend blackface, can you at least be original?

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
This is a huge Three Wise Kings parade thats been around for a couple of hundred years. It's a big one with horses that ends at the palace where the royals hand out gifts for children and its huge enough to get celebrated with a live stream with commentary and there was a simultaneous one in Barcelona.

Not Spanish just 3 second Google, but PR also celebrates the Three Kings Day.

https://www.lavanguardia.com/vida/2....html?utm_source=twitter_lv&utm_medium=social

Apparently it's all major cities in Spain that have a parade.
Even small villages have Three Wise Kings parades. In the case of Barcelona, Balthazar has been played by a black person (which is the right thing to do) at least since the sixties.
Smaller villages have been slower to do the right thing but I can assure you that in my village this year Balthazar was a black person. However, it is true that when I was a kid unfortunately it was a white person in blackface.

Gomography

Alt-account.
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
Blackface is not a big deal in Spain, sadly.

You also have to consider the long reign of Franco and its long term effect on culture and language. People are really xenophobic and it goes for people from different parts of Spain as well. Imagine that the Confederacy rose to power and ruled the states for fifty years with Trump amped up to 1000 at the helm. You'd have to learn skills as being able to tell the difference between a skinned cat and rabbit if you had enough money to actually buy food.

After 40 years you would probably still don a blackface... Where were America at in terms of racism 40 years after the civil war?

Not defending the blackface, it's just not very surprising if you've spent some time in Spain. They've been through some really hard times and decided to go with a "pact of forgetting" basically not to talk about what happened but the consequences of it are still very apparent.

Most of the people you see in that clip don't have the same cultural capital as most ERA users.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
What's so entertaining about putting on blackface? Oh the racism..nevermind.

judavc

Oct 27, 2017
10 posts
Year old account

I'm not defending anything, like I said I just want to hear other people opinions on that carnival, I'm not from pasto but I'm Colombian and although there is high race diversity in my country there is still racism, even from non white people, just wanted to know foreign opinions I guess because well...the local opinions could be short-sighted for the topic . And sorry if I sounded bad, but I did try to say that I viewed as something racist but ironic because they try to do the opposite?

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
Silly me thinking some progress was being made when we made it a year without a gaddamn sillyass racist zwarte piet thread.
5I5s8.png

Jun 10, 2018
I'm not sure how much of it is done to pat one self on the back.
It's probably more of a reaction from Europeans often shielding themselves from criticism for racist behavior. Very often Europeans will defend racist behavior by saying that they don't see racism over in Europe, or the N Word doesn't carry the same meaning as it does in the States.

I don't think America is in a position to be judging many other nations in regards to racism. So I don't think a lot of people are trying to encourage a competition.]
That's where you're wrong bud. As a country founded and thriving on the ideal of genocidal white supremacy, Americans - but especially black and Native Americans - are pretty much doctorates when calling out racist fuckery.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
10 posts
Year old account

Did you bother reading his 11 posts? Not the first time he's mentioned he's from Colombia. This type of rebuttal youre doing is worse that mocking juniors ever was on GAF. Some people are lurkers, particularly people who arent comfortable with their English. Didnt seem like he was defending blackface either, tbh. Not yet at least.

Kaloskatoa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well that's certainly interesting.

This is the second cultural event I've learned about involving blackface. I wonder how many there are.

not a cultural repeating event, but here in brazil in the 90s we had a political movement called "caras pintadas". Basically "painted faces".

Basically the president had very low popularity, and he asked people to go out with t shirts with the brazilian flag and declare their support for him, instead, tens of thousands went out with their faces painted black to call for his impeachment.

At the time, no papers took wrote news saying it was bad, because brazil never had an history of blackface, we are a country that at least half the population has some black ancestry. Only when the internet came and was popular did some of us learn about how offensive it was. I only learned about it on a similar thread on the old forum. My mom was really proud that she was part of that movement and got really surprised when I told her that its racist.

Juaner

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
First time in my life I see that in my country. That's not even the tradition, it's something so weird I can't believe it really happened, but I don't care. Basically cause I don't give a fuck for what the disrespectful people think of my country. You just see a picture and spread your truth, as usual. We've been unlucky for not having tits in that picture too, it'd been banned from here.

Anyways, people calling us racist at the same time than spaniards is hilarious. I don't think american people is racist for chosing a president that wants to build a wall in Mexico. I don't even think american people is dumb for the same reason. I mean, I perfectly could for so many reasons but I'm not going to. Why? First: Respect. Second: a country with 325 million has more morons (pure math) than one with 40 million. And all those morons don't represent the country. Well, I used to think that, don't make me change my mind. Yes, there are racists in Spain, shocking news. There are in America too, so? Is America racist? Why Spain is? A moron is a moron.

Maybe you should first wash your own shit instead of pointing the rest of the world. I live and work in the states, I've seen shameful examples of racism here.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Came looking for an "Americans are the REAL racists, Europeans aren't racist" post, and wasn't disappointed...

First time in my life I see that in my country. That's not even the tradition, it's something so weird I can't believe it really happened, but I don't care. Basically cause I don't give a fuck for what the disrespectful people think of my country. You just see a picture and spread your truth, as usual. We've been unlucky for not having tits in that picture too, it'd been banned from here.

Anyways, people calling us racist at the same time than spaniards is hilarious. I don't think american people is racist for chosing a president that wants to build a wall in Mexico. I don't even think american people is dumb for the same reason. I mean, I perfectly could for so many reasons but I'm not going to. Why? First: Respect. Second: a country with 325 million has more morons (pure math) than one with 40 million. And all those morons don't represent the country. Well, I used to think that, don't make me change my mind. Yes, there are racists in Spain, shocking news. There are in America too, so? Is America racist? Why Spain is? A moron is a moron.

Maybe you should first wash your own shit instead of pointing the rest of the world. I live and work in the states, I've seen shameful examples of racism here.

I mean, there's like a dozen threads a day about racist shit happening in America. So yeah, we do call it out. Not that it matters, because this is a whataboutism. America being bad doesn't mean Spain can't be bad.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i know Zwarte Piet. I'm Dutch. Didn't know about this though. Is it similar? Curious about how people from there think of this on this forum.

Edit: just reas about this tradition. Weird it never got mentioned during Black Pete discussions. Or i missed it.

Traditions like these exist in many other countries, out of the top of my head in Colombia you have Carnaval de negros, in Bolivia you have Danza Negritos,Balthazar in many countries in europe and latin america, etc. Reading this thread there is also a tradition like that in Iran

Last edited:

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Came looking for an "Americans are the REAL racists, Europeans aren't racist" post, and wasn't disappointed...

I mean, there's like a dozen threads a day about racist shit happening in America. So yeah, we do call it out. Not that it matters, because this is a whataboutism. America being bad doesn't mean Spain can't be bad.

Seems to always happen in threads about racism in countries that aren't the US.

You're a god damn idiot if you defend this shit as "culture"

Juaner

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

You still don't get it... it's not about countries, it's about people.

And no dude, America is not bad, only some people living here is. Same in my country.

Mandikiri

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Boston, MA.
10 posts
Year old account

There's so much wrong with this post. Especially with the mocking of English isn't my first language. News flash buddy, not everyone has English as their first language.

And he isn't defending this. At least not yet.

My opinion on this, hated it when South Park tried to do it on one of their games and hate it to this day.

Racism in general is one of the stupidest things in this world. People forget that we're all the same aside from color, race, and gender.

Last edited:

Juaner

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Seems to always happen in threads about racism in countries that aren't the US.

You're a god damn idiot if you defend this shit as "culture"

Have you seen me defending it?

Do you think trying to tell why something happens is some kind of defense? I hope not cause in that case you are the god damn idiot.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Have you seen me defending it?

You literally said nothing in your post about what that picture depicting being bad or inappropriate. All you did was rant about how people who say Spain has racism issues are disrespectful, pulled some shit about Americans and basically said no one can talk because you have racism too.

If you aren't defending it literally the least you could do is condemn it in your first post which you very clearly did not do.

First time in my life I see that in my country. That's not even the tradition, it's something so weird I can't believe it really happened, but I don't care.

This is not a fucking condemnation btw.

And no I am not American.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not defending anything, like I said I just want to hear other people opinions on that carnival, I'm not from pasto but I'm Colombian and although there is high race diversity in my country there is still racism, even from non white people, just wanted to know foreign opinions I guess because well...the local opinions could be short-sighted for the topic . And sorry if I sounded bad, but I did try to say that I viewed as something racist but ironic because they try to do the opposite?
Its okay dude, I get what you are saying, it seems that there is something like that in the caribbean coast too

kgsdfkgfkgusdkk.jpg

In other parts of south america people use masks but I dont know if those are also considered blackface , it seems wrong tho

danza_de_los_negritos.jpg

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
they may be non-white but SA culture was molded by the old caste system with black skinned people and indigenous at the bottom, as usual. racism took a different path there, but it still exists.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
So, I've been reading up on this trying to hear perspectives from Spaniards.

I believe that many are genuinely convinced that this tradition is doesn't have intentionally racist undertones. They believe that the lack of a black population when the tradition started "necessitated" the use of black face in a celebration of the 3 Kings.

But my guess is, way back when this tradition started, somebody decided that Balthazar's black features should be grossly exaggerated - most likely for comedic effect. That's racist. It was racist then, and it's still racist now.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Uh, wasnt Super Bunnyhop caught in something like this? I remember googling his name and Blackface was one of the first autocomplete results.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Defending things like this as tradition has never, ever made sense. It's why bullfighting still exists nowadays

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Defending things like this as tradition has never, ever made sense. It's why bullfighting still exists nowadays

I can understand why it might not have been seen as bad in the past, unlike in the US with a large black population being treated like shit etc. But these idiots have the Internet, I just don't understand why they continue this stuff.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems cultural and they are passing out candy? Besides painting their faces, are they spreading bigotry or hurting the image of black people with negative connotations?

I'm uncomfortable with this, but unless there is mal-intent I will just say this is cultural differences and give it a "Its fine. This is fine. THIS. Is fine".

Racists just can't help themselves but to defend racist shit.

judavc

Oct 27, 2017
I just dont bother anymore, this world really hates black people
The world doesn't hate black people, many hateful racist ( stupid people that transform fear for someone different in hate basically primitive tribal thinking?) do.
There are ignorant racists too like the example that I tried to discuss in previous post, who are being racist without even thinking on it, both racist are equally bad, but both people not, for the first kind I think that hating on others for differences is stupid and should no be tolerate, the second type is just ignorant people that don't think how others feel about certain thinks, I think that people just need education, well because I would like to think that not everyone is a lost cause and maybe they could be part of the people that don't hate on others just because some differences

Juaner

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Excusing Racism; Account in Junior Phase
You literally said nothing in your post about what that picture depicting being bad or inappropriate. All you did was rant about how people who say Spain has racism issues are disrespectful, pulled some shit about Americans and basically said no one can talk because you have racism too.

If you aren't defending it literally the least you could do is condemn it in your first post which you very clearly did not do.

This is not a fucking condemnation btw.

And no I am not American.

The best definition for that picture is written some post above: "is so fucking stupid". Most of the people in that picture don't know the origin of the reason for painting their faces in black, they don't even know what the hell is blackface. I can't condemn that. But doin it on purpose is racism and I condemn it.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
From the same nation that has massacring bulls as a proud tradition