• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Argus

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, have never seen that many people in black face. How is it even possible to have that many people and not have MOST of them go, "No really, this is SUPER rascist?"

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Now the image of Sergio Ramos is in my head. Why is this a Spanish tradition?
why you dragging my boy Ramos when you've got actual other racist shitheels in Madrid you can point to

antoine-griezmann-blackface.jpeg

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the cultural background to this that would lead so many to participate?
Catholic tradition says that in January 6th we celebrate the day that wise kings from far away lands came to visit Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus after he was born to venerate and bring him gifts. The Bible only ever mentions "kings" in plural and never specified how many but somehow in popular culture people started to depict these kings as being three, even gave them names (Melchior, Gaspar and Balthazar), made up the contents of the actual gifts (gold, incense, and myrrh) and some sort of ethnicity where the latter was always black (nothing racist, Balthazar just happened to be black). Also in many countries, the Three Kings are the ones that bring the gifts to the kids in Jan 6 rather than Santa Claus on Dec 25.

As to why these Spaniards decided to all of them paint their faces black before giving away gifts is unheard of for me. I mean there were at least 2/3's of the Kings not being black, why choose the one who's black to dress as him? This is no part of any tradition I know of.

Last edited:

Swab

Oct 25, 2017
This is a huge Three Wise Kings parade thats been around for a couple of hundred years. It's a big one with horses that ends at the palace where the royals hand out gifts for children and its huge enough to get celebrated with a live stream with commentary and there was a simultaneous one in Barcelona.

Not Spanish just 3 second Google, but PR also celebrates the Three Kings Day.

https://www.lavanguardia.com/vida/2....html?utm_source=twitter_lv&utm_medium=social

Apparently it's all major cities in Spain that have a parade.

This does not make it OK.

It's fucking disgusting.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
Why do some Americans in these kind of threads always feel the need to pat themselves on the back with 'SEE Europe is racist too' as if it's some sort of competition

It's vile shit everywhere.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly thought this was going to be a couple of idiots that were either trying to make news but this? Holy shit this is full on black face

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why do some Americans in these kind of threads always feel the need to pat themselves on the back with 'SEE Europe is racist too' as if it's some sort of competition

If you read the posts more carefully, you see that their snark is referring to having dealt with posters that act like Europe doesn't have its own huge issues with racism. Like no shit it's everywhere lol

Oct 30, 2017

It's vile shit everywhere.

I'm not sure how much of it is done to pat one self on the back.
It's probably more of a reaction from Europeans often shielding themselves from criticism for racist behavior. Very often Europeans will defend racist behavior by saying that they don't see racism over in Europe, or the N Word doesn't carry the same meaning as it does in the States.

I don't think America is in a position to be judging many other nations in regards to racism. So I don't think a lot of people are trying to encourage a competition.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, I've known someone who took part in this, and she believed completely that there was no racist connotation. Good intention or not, come on now.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Took me forever but they are royal pages that do the actual handling out of gifts by going inside the houses. But they call them by the French words els negres so I dont understand what's up with that.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
someone call kt and get a blackface musou

no seriously, i was not expecting that many people. wtf.

Jun 7, 2018
Article:

The Independent: Hundreds of Spanish teenagers in Spain wear blackface for Three Kings parade
Thousands of teenagers dressed up as royal pages and put on blackface as part of a Three Kings parade in Spain.
The procession, which dates back to the 19th century and commemorates the arrival of the magi Balthazar, Melchior and Gaspar at Jesus' birthplace, took place in the Spanish town of Alcoy, in Alicante province.
As part of the parade people paint their faces black with large red lips before marching through the streets and handing out sweets and presents to local children.
Parades held in cities and villages elsewhere in Spain on 5 January feature three men dressed up as kings. Balthazar is historically depicted as being black.
Images and footage from the Alcoy event, thought to be the country's longest-running, reignited a debate on social media.

So they are black facing because they are commemorating a black man? I mean.. I get the sentiment, but there is a right way and a wrong way.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Phew, I'm glad we don't have racism in Europe or I could have seen hundreds of children doing blackface and being taught it's okay.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, their reasoning for that is terrible.

Although

I didn't know that. That's kind of a neat detail that I wish I didn't learn because of this.
Like I said in my last post the fact that people say it's 3 kings named Melchior, Gaspar and Balthazar with the latter being black, them bringing gold, incense and myrrh accordingly was all made up from popular culture eons ago, not from any text.

The wise kings visiting from far away lands to venerate the newly born baby Jesus are indeed mentioned in the Bible but they are never mentioned by name, their gifts or how many they were. Melchior, Gaspar and Balthazar are as historic as the red and white fat Santa Claus that drops down your chimney in Dec 25.

Just bringing some cultural context into this thread. And as a Mexican I had never seen any tradition like this one in Spain with people donning black face with red lips. Nothing of the sort.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone defended this with how there is no racism there? That there is no ill intent? Culture? or have the folks with 42 post histories not shown up yet>

Disgusting

someone call kt and get a blackface musou

no seriously, i was not expecting that many people. wtf.

It would be pretty therapeutic to play a muso where you fight hordes of klansmen, people in blackface and just bigot groups in general.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Catholic tradition says that in January 6th we celebrate the day that wise kings from far away lands came to visit Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus after he was born to venerate and bring him gifts. The Bible only ever mentions "kings" in plural and never specified how many but somehow in popular culture people started to depict these kings as being three, even gave them names (Melchior, Gaspar and Balthazar), made up the contents of the actual gifts (gold, incense, and myrrh) and some sort of ethnicity where the latter was always black (nothing racist, Balthazar just happened to be black). Also in many countries, the Three Kings are the ones that bring the gifts to the kids in Jan 6 rather than Santa Claus on Dec 25.

As to why these Spaniards decided to all of them paint their faces black before giving away gifts is unheard of for me. I mean there were at least 2/3's of the Kings not being black, why choose the one who's black to dress as him? This is no part of any tradition I know of.

They're dressed as Balthazar pages, not the king himself. It's of course still bullshit. Mind you, The Three Magi paarade happens in almost every town in Spain and more often than not Balthazar and his pages are gonna be blackface. Another old ass tradition that ends up being problematic, this time being racist as fuck.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone defended this with how there is no racism there? That there is no ill intent? Culture? or have the folks with 42 post histories not shown up yet>

Disgusting

It would be pretty therapeutic to play a muso where you fight hordes of klansmen, people in blackface and just bigot groups in general.
That's why I recommend people get the deluxe edition of Mafia 3. You get to ramp onto klansmen in one of the dlc missions.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're dressed as Balthazar pages, not the king himself. It's of course still bullshit. Mind you, The Three Magi paarade happens in almost every town in Spain and more often than not Balthazar and his pages are gonna be blackface. Another old ass tradition that ends up being problematic, this time being racist as fuck.
English ain't my first language so I read "pages" and was incredibly confused. I'm guessing you meant pages as in aides or servants, yes?l

This is the very first time in my life I've heard of any Three Kings Day tradition that involved anyone else besides said three kings and maybe Joseph, Mary and Jesus. I won't even try to dive into this pages crap and why the need to depict them in black face. Even in black face there are levels but did they have to go with the red lips to make it even worse?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Let's see how bad this is, it can't be worse than the lady from Halloween last ye - OH MY GOD

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Wasn't there more cases over the last couple of years from Spain?
Or some Scandinavian country that has had multiple cases?

I think I might be thinking of a football team?

Oct 27, 2017
As part of the parade people paint their faces black with large red lips...
...Balthazar is historically depicted as being black

And if you asked anyone there, with a straight blackface they would claim that there was nothing racist about it.

Last edited:

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What if this is subversive? Europe wants to defeat the "black people are lazy" stereotype so they put on Black face and dress as hard working Black folks like Zwarte Piet?

/s

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is a huge Three Wise Kings parade thats been around for a couple of hundred years. It's a big one with horses that ends at the palace where the royals hand out gifts for children and its huge enough to get celebrated with a live stream with commentary and there was a simultaneous one in Barcelona.

Not Spanish just 3 second Google, but PR also celebrates the Three Kings Day.

https://www.lavanguardia.com/vida/2....html?utm_source=twitter_lv&utm_medium=social

Apparently it's all major cities in Spain that have a parade.
Don't put Puerto Rico in this mess. We do celebrate the Three Kings, give gifts, have parades, etc. But we don't do anything similar to what is shown in the pic.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
English ain't my first language so I read "pages" and was incredibly confused. I'm guessing you meant pages as in aides or servants, yes?l

This is the very first time in my life I've heard of any Three Kings Day tradition that involved anyone else besides said three kings and maybe Joseph, Mary and Jesus. I won't even try to dive into this pages crap and why the need to depict them in black face. Even in black face there are levels but did they have to go with the red lips to make it even worse?

yes, sorry, they're supposed to be their servants that helps them deliver the presents. Each king has a number of pages that are basically the same (ethnicity, hair color...) but with less fancy clothes.

To be fair it's the first time I see a huge parade of nothing but Balthazar pages. But still, blackface is sadly incredibly common, red lips or not. Not much cities bother to hire proper black people for Balthazar impersonations. People just don't care...

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
It's unfortunate, but because it's part of an old tradition, the vast majority of people do not see this as racist or problematic in any way. It's also part of a deeply ingrained cultural background of depicting other cultures in cartoony and "comedic" stereotypes that doesn't even register as offensive to most people.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Sergio-Ramos-in-Blackface.-Racism-in-Spain.jpg

hmm, not sure either of them come out of this fight ok tbh, thats a pretty damning photo from Ramos too
Weren't the three kings from the East? Darker skinned Asian would probably be from India, though if we are talking historical accuracy, Jesus, Mary, Joseph and the Apostles would be dark skinned as well. I'm callin' it like it is, this tradition started because all these fucks ancestors just wanted to be racist and generations kept the fires burning.

Some traditions of the world are bullshit. Fuck 'em!

Buran

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Excusing Racism, History of Severe Infractions
People disguises as Balthazar or royal pages from that king in the holiday of Día de Reyes (day of Kings) remembering the catholic tradition of the "three magicain kings" which honored with gifts the newborn Jesus. They do that due lack of black people to perform that role, the same that they use false beards to impersonate Mechior and Gaspar, the other two kings, and the same way that in traditions as moros y cristianos (moor and christians) half of the disguised impersonate moors.

Is not a racist thing, you can find racist behaviour in some sectors of soccer stadiums, etc. But this tradition is not one of those cases. Being offended about this is the same about being offended in a japanese funeral about the guest wearing white clothes instead of the classic black clothing so common in western mournings.

That's the "why" explained.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
Took me forever but they are royal pages that do the actual handling out of gifts by going inside the houses. But they call them by the French words els negres so I dont understand what's up with that.

"Els negres" is not French language, but Catalan (that is spoken not only in Catalonia but in most of Valencia as well, where this town is). It literally means "the black ones".

I suppose you know that's a really old ad. From 40 years aprox.. And I grant you there were worse than that:-). The brand still exists, but hasn't run a TV ad for 10 years at least, and it's not really popular nowadays. I don't think it will last for long honestly.

I won't defend this, I think these traditions should stop or adapt because we now live in a globalized world and we should be aware that many black people around the globe consider this offensive. And, in addition, there's a lot of real black people living in Spain nowadays so there's no need to paint anyone to depict Balthazar or any other character that happens to be black.

At the same time, though, I think you should accept that there's really no ill intent in this. There's no way so many teenagers would be evil racists. It's more a matter of being uninformed, actually, and black population having lived here for a relatively short time (it was a rare event spotting a black person on the streets only 30 or 40 years ago in most Spanish cities).