• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
According to the Palladium guide, the turtles have the following strength/physical attributes among their stats (all stats are on a 00–24+ scale).
* note: the bolded numbers to indicate which character has the highest number for that stat.
** note: Mental Affinity (M.A.) refers to a character's "Charm." **

LEONARDO
Intelligence Quotient (16) • Mental Endurance (16) • Mental Affinity (17)
Physical Strength (15) • Physical Prowess (20) • Physical Endurance (18) • Physical Beauty (11)
Speed (11)

➔ Points Average (15.5)
➔ Points Total (124)

DONATELLO
Intelligence Quotient (19) • Mental Endurance (15) • Mental Affinity (12)
Physical Strength (13) • Physical Prowess (17) • Physical Endurance (13) • Physical Beauty (09)
Speed (10)

➔ Points Average (13.5)
➔ Points Total (108)

RAPHAEL
Intelligence Quotient (12) • Mental Endurance (13) • Mental Affinity (11)
Physical Strength (20) • Physical Prowess (18) • Physical Endurance (20) • Physical Beauty (05)
Speed (15)

➔ Points Average (14.25)
➔ Points Total (114)

MICHELANGELO
Intelligence Quotient (11) • Mental Endurance (14) • Mental Affinity (19)
Physical Strength (16) • Physical Prowess (24) • Physical Endurance (17) • Physical Beauty (16)
Speed (14)

➔ Points Average (17.625)
➔ Points Total (141)
Mikey GOAT, confirmed.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
For those affluent enough, they made some really nice action figures on the level of detail as Hot Toys and go for about $100 each.

I want them

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I excitedly showed my 5 and 7 y.o. sons this movie expecting them to love it. Seeing as they loved OG Star wars and Ghost Busters when I showed them.

They hated this movie.

"Do they ever take off the costumes? Why are they dressed like Ninja Turles?"

"When do they go downtown? Why are they always sad?" (farm scenes)

"Is it always going to be like this?" (Fighting scenes)

My wife said only those nostalgic for this movie could ever appreciate "this piece of shit" and walked away laughing.

Whatever. I love it still.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It is not a top 10 comic book movie.....

It is a TOP FIVE comic book movie! A classic that has aged wonderfully (it has aged a lot better than Batman 1989 for example which I watched almost as much growing up).

Yea, you know whats up! Amazing movie overall and its on my top 5 for comic book adaptations at numero uno

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I excitedly showed my 5 and 7 y.o. sons this movie expecting them to love it. Seeing as they loved OG Star wars and Ghost Busters when I showed them.

They hated this movie.

My wife said only those nostalgic for this movie could ever appreciate "this piece of shit" and walked away laughing.

Congratulations for the most depressing post of 2019 so far :p

But seriously, as great as I think the movie still is, it was made in another era when things where made differently than they are today. So this kind of reaction from young children is not unexpected.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I recently posted that this was the best assassin/ninja movie so it's interesting that this has cropped up & I wholeheartedly agree. It's a great movie that still holds up today. In an age where film makers are trying to make their movies darker & grittier, this did it first (and got complaints from parents).

Also the OST is pretty good too, especially the music during the final Shredder fight.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
For those affluent enough, they made some really nice action figures on the level of detail as Hot Toys and go for about $100 each.

I want them
I have the Raphael one, but GameStop is also selling the 6" versions of them for 22 bucks each (or all 4 for 92)... Totally worth it if you're into collecting figures.

https://www.gamestop.com/collectibl...-action-figure-bundle-only-at-gamestop/167619

B174920Ab.jpg

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
And yes Mikey has been all but confirmed as the most skilled if not beat out by Leo. The subtle proof is in the fact that nunchaku are very difficult to learn, at least comparatively to what his brothers use. But he just uses that shit like whatever lol.
Not to mention he won the Battle Nexus tournament in the 2k3 series, the interdimensional tournament to decide the greatest fight. Skilled but lazy.

They hated this movie.

Disown them and divorce her

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017

They hated this movie.

Time for a new family, my friend.

You can keep this one, but only see them on the weekends. It's for the best.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting factoid about this movies director. While he's not a known name these days he also directed a seminal classics Coneheads and the music video for A-ha's Take on Me.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
It was a great movie, saw it many times at the cinema. Got the vhs as soon as it was available. And also got the dvd (had to get teh region 1 version as it didn't come out on region 4 until a few years later.... but I got that one too lol).

Oct 26, 2017

They hated this movie.

It's time to get an authentic Raphael costume and fight them.

An optional Casey Jones costume is good as well.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You know, I just assumed the film was well received.
Well, it certainly was, but not by critics. Most savaged it.

... uncultured swine. Wouldn't know a good pizza if it slapped them in the face.
rs_400x256-160208095809-ninja_turtles_pizza_gif.gif

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR

They hated this movie.

worst family ever?

(yes, Mikey is the GOAT in terms of overall stats, though I question the importance of "Physical Beauty" stat. lol)

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018

They hated this movie.

TMNT is fantastic and I totally agree with the topic of this thread... But I think for their ages, TMNT2 would have been a better choice. I remember being 7 and totally preferring the goofiness of the sequel to the darkness and seriousness of the original. It wasn't til a lot later that I realized how good the first one is and how mediocre Secret of the Ooze is (still love it though).

Maybe there's still hope, if they haven't already been turned off completely.

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
I think the first TMNT movie came out at just the right time for me because by the time the 2nd movie came out I feel like I had already already aged out of the whole TMNT phenomenon.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
What can I say. Absolutely true. It still holds up very well even today. The costumes, the cinematography and the whole style of the movie is amazing.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I have the Raphael one, but GameStop is also selling the 6" versions of them for 22 bucks each (or all 4 for 92)... Totally worth it if you're into collecting figures.

https://www.gamestop.com/collectibl...-action-figure-bundle-only-at-gamestop/167619

B174920Ab.jpg

Wow, thanks for posting this! You can get these right now (this Gamestop bundle doesn't release until Feb 6th) on ebay, but it's like $200 or more for the set. I guess they were only sold at SDCC. I just had a birthday and my girlfriend tried to surprise me with them, but she got the wrong figures (she got me Playmates classic collection figures based off the 1988 cartoon). Anyway, knowing these are about to come out at a reasonable price is awesome. I will be buying them for sure!

Nov 2, 2017

They hated this movie.

A few years ago, I introduced my sons to the first Turtles movie when they were both around that age. They didn't really take to it but LOVED Secret of the Ooze. (I don't think I had even seen Ooze until they started watching it).

I still love the original, although I haven't watched it in awhile. I also enjoyed the two Bay pics (not as much as original).

Didn't really like TMNT but loved the PS2 and GBA games.

Oct 25, 2017
I think one of the main things people like about it is the dark tone and a feeling of real danger not present in a lot of modern movies like these.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are the best adaptations of the Turtles beyond this movie? I'm reading the IDW comic right now.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World

They hated this movie.

trade them in to gamestop

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Just did my rewatch. Still great, god, I've stolen so many quotes from this film in my life.

"Keep practicing!"
"Good answer. Good answer."

Yeah, TMNT2 holds up too. It's not as great, but it's still a lot of fun.

"Daddy!" "They're BABIES!"

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"You know Donnie, we really are the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles," Leonardo

I don't have much to add to this topic, just that I agree.

I'd love to see a Netflix series built on this, following the same tone.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
As an aside somewhat inspired by this thread, I've always hated the "you only like this cause of nostalgia" argument. One, it implies that nostalgia is an invalid reason to enjoy something, which is just lame. Nostalgia is perfectly fine and pretty harmless, considering the list of things held up purely by nostalgia without having any other redeeming qualities is pretty small.

Second, and more importantly, it's part of this weird obsession we have online with tearing down things from our past. Especially as it relates to children's media, where most of the common complaints could be boiled down to "it was for kids and I'm not a kid anymore."

Does "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" have flaws? Absolutely. Is it a little cheesy and silly? Yup. Do either have things suddenly erase the writing, direction, fight choreography, suit work and puppetry, and endearing performances? Nope. It's a good movie, and even if you disagree, it's weak to dismiss someone saying that just because they may have first watched it when they were 7.

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017

They hated this movie.

Your kids are correct. I watched it as super excited 8 year old in the movie theater and I remember being really disappointed. If started good but the farm house scene killed the movie.

Tmnt2 is far more child friendly and I loved the fucked out of it as a kid

Tmnt3 can burn in hell.

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
TMNT3 does a better job than 2 at least.
Not really. People really exaggerate hyperbole to a pretty annoying degree for 3 but it isn't too far from the truth that it breaks down what goodwill 1 and 2 built up. They could've done more with the premise. It's not only wasted potential it didn't really need to dumb down any more than 2.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When I was a kid I usually preferred TMNT II since the original was a bit dark for me. In hindsight, the original was actually a really inspired piece of cinema, and a great story about family and coming-of-age which I can't think of a lot of comic book movies that do these days... except maybe, like, Spider-Verse. And we all know how incredible that turned out.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I will never forget the first time I saw the trailer on TV... I think I had some permanent brain damage from too much excitement. I couldn't believe what I was seeing... Unfortunately I don't have any memory of watching the first movie at the theater - either my parents didn't take me or I spent the night passed out from too much excitement.

Bless this movie though - it is simply awesome.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
The original trilogy is still available on Blu Ray (for dirt cheap) and the quality is pretty good.
The first one clearly is a great comic book adaptation and makes a suit with talking turtles just work.

Even the second one is still decent.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I actually went to see this in theatres. Yes Im fucking old as shit.

The Farm sequence is the best part of the movie for me. Especially how the drawings melded in with the scenes.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Such a feel good thread. Yeah the movie is damn good.

I was talking to my little sister about how Ralph was my favorite. She thought I was being funny or something. Turns out she had never seen the original movie even though my brother and I watched it non-stop throughout our childhood.

So right then and there we watched it.
She now thinks Ralph is the best.