• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
In light of the news that TMNT is looking at another movie reboot, lets take some time to talk about and appreciate how solid the first Ninja Turtles movie actually is. (Spoilers, obviously) I'd safely put this movie into the Top 10 for best comic book movies ever, hell I'd even entertain an argument that it's in the Top 5. This is a really good movie that has aged a lot better than I think anyone would really expect.

The movie is a pretty great mixture of the original comic's tone with some aspects of the 80s cartoons sprinkled in. The tone of this movie hasn't really been replicated in any of the other Ninja Turtle movies and it's really unfortunate. For a property that, at the time of its release, was pretty cartoony and marketed entirely for kids this movie wasn't afraid to let shit get real a little bit. For example, Raph getting the fuck beat out of him in the 2nd act and the Turtles being ran out of town by Foot Soldiers really does a good job of shattering the idea that the heroes were invulnerable and also added a lot of intensity towards the final battle when they go up against Shredder. The movie's story also doesn't insult the audience's intelligence that much, either. Some of the subject matters that come up with this story are fairly heavy family themes considering the movie it's taking place in. Also, shout outs to the practical suit work of the Turtles. It's exceptional, and it really helps the movie in terms of holding up over the years (In before DonnieFaceInMouth.jpg).

200.gif

Hey, remember that farm scene from Age of Ultron? Yeah, TMNT 1990 did it first and better. The heroes get their teeth kicked in by the bad guys and they retreat to lick their wounds, get some motivational speeches in, then plan to return home and save the day. This is actually my favorite part of the entire movie because there's a ton of great character moments, we see the Turtles mature a little bit, and get a nice little father/son moment between the Turtles and Splinter.

giphy.gif

Oh and one more thing, Shredder is a fucking boss in this movie.

tumblr_ms7ogulvRz1rwtl3wo1_r1_400.gif

FVcz.gif

Shredder is another part of this movie that sells the tone of everything and they don't really fluff things that much because kids are seeing the movie. Shredder straight up murders people in this movie and when it comes time to throw down against the Turtles he doesn't pull punches. Also, how many super hero movies (especially pre-2000s) have the titular heroes straight up lose their final fight against the villain? The Turtles not only lose to Shredder in the final battle, they get fucking bodied by him (when you take the sequels into account they technically never defeat Shredder themselves) and need Splinter to bail them out.

But defeating Shredder isn't really the point of the final battle, the point of the ending is that the four Turtles fight together as a family and refuse to sacrifice each other in the process, which ties together some of the "family" themes I was mentioning earlier.

So yeah, TMNT 1990 is still pretty legit. Is it dated in some of its music and clothing/hairstyle choices? Yeah, but the martial arts, the Turtle effects, and the story as a whole still hold up today I feel.

Last edited:

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for making this thread so I don't have to and better then I could. The movie is better then spiderman 2 in my opinion.

Its one of the best superhero flicks.

Zach

Oct 25, 2017
Sephzilla, you absolute loon!

(It might be the only good comic book movie. God bless.)

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is not a top 10 comic book movie.....

It is a TOP FIVE comic book movie! A classic that has aged wonderfully (it has aged a lot better than Batman 1989 for example which I watched almost as much growing up).

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
For me this film is perfection, because this is the way how you ADAPT a cartoon into a film. A masterclass on that matter.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
The first TMNT film is a perfect amalgam of the grim and gritty Mirage comics and the humor of the 1987 cartoon.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd disagree that the music/hair/clothes are dated. I'd argue that if anything that helps the movie, the movie now plays almost like a period piece of old grimey late 80's NYC.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I think there is definitely an argument for that. It certainly belongs in the discussion alongside films like Spider-Man 2, Black Panther, The Dark Knight and Avengers. I could absolutely see it a top 10.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Saw it in the theatres opening day and my 8 year old mind was blown. Made me love Raph even more. Shredder was a baller, Casey was awesome, April was a babe, and the whole tone/look of the movie was perfect.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously is. It's a beautiful film... not shot like a children's movie.

The cinematography is beautiful to this day. The voice acting, the human element, actual emotion, and the fights are well choreographed.

Just a great film overall and very re-watchable.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Couldn't agree more and have, in fact, told people the same exact thing. Great movie that still holds up remarkably well!

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
If I were in charge of the new reboot, I'd get Henson studios back on board, go full man-in-suit/puppet mode, make a direct sequel to the 1990 film as if the other sequels never happened, possibly using some of the better ideas from Ooze but otherwise all new. Superman Returns only (hopefully) not shitty.

Go full period, late 80s/early 90s, gritty crime-ridden NYC, all that wild fashion and hair styles from that time

Secret of the Ooze changed the entire tone compared to the first one. So while I like some ideas in it, it feels very watered down. So the film would probably be more of a reimagining of Ooze only more tone appropriate, and ffs have the turtles actually use their weapons and show some badass moves like those Raph sequences form the first film!

But it would be done kind of "Spider-Man: Homecoming" style where you just jump right in without explaining origin stuff

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
This movie has one of the most iconic representations of New York ever put on film imo.

A lot of the cinematography and especially the musical score just absolutely shits on what passes for comic book movies today.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, agreed.

The tone and atmosphere are fantastic.

Love the themes of self acceptenace and brotherhood And how the narrative uses them.

A strong contender for one of my fav comic book adaptations of all time!

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I agree wholeheartedly.

This might be a little controversial, but I think the interpersonal drama in TMNT is very "real" in a way that a lot of popular comic movies aren't lately. Marvel movies' drama always comes across as "Hollywood platitude" to me.

Yeah sorry I had to shit on Marvel to privilege TMNT... but that's my reasoning for why TMNT could easily go on a top 10, while most other comic movies don't. Obviously some other superhero movies have what I would call "real drama" too (ie Nolanverse).

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Being raised with the OG turtles and having this film come to theaters was a dream come true.

Much like seeing G1 Transformers movie etc.

Good times.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's an amazing movie with amazing production values. Being an independent film really helped hold the vision in place and there's tons of small details that help the world and the characters. Even super minor stuff like there being a water line in the turtle's lair to show that, eh, sometimes the place floods out a bit. Characters, locations, choreography and the best looking live action turtles to date. The movie has eeeverything.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously is. It's a beautiful film... not shot like a children's movie.

The cinematography is beautiful to this day. The voice acting, the human element, actual emotion, and the fights are well choreographed.

Just a great film overall and very re-watchable.
It really is a very well shot film, particularly the moody lighting
Old gritty New York had a high crime rate but it sure made for great looking films.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
It's right up there with A History of Violence and Road to Perdition.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree wholeheartedly.

This might be a little controversial, but I think the interpersonal drama in TMNT is very "real" in a way that a lot of popular comic movies aren't lately. Marvel movies' drama always comes across as "Hollywood platitude" to me.

Yeah sorry I had to shit on Marvel to privilege TMNT... but that's my reasoning for why TMNT could easily go on a top 10, while most other comic movies don't. Obviously some other superhero movies have what I would call "real drama" too (ie Nolanverse).
I get what you are saying. I am a big fan of Marvel Studios movies but they clearly wear being comic book movies on their sleeve. They embrace being comic booky. They have a more I guess you could call it "clean" look and feel to them. TMNT for a movie about 4 giant turtle men fighting ninjas tries to be really earnest and present itself realistically which shockingly works.

OP
OP
Sephzilla

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I agree wholeheartedly.

Honestly I think the realness of TMNT's drama comes from the Danny/Charles relationship, of all places. The movie is filled with different family themes and drama, from Leo and Raphs brotherly spats, Splinter losing one family, Splinter trying to father his new family, but then they also throw in this sub-plot of Charles not understanding his son, Danny running away, and Charles being scared shitless about it. So among all of these fictional suit characters having their family problems, we get two real ass humans having a very real problem.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Also they might not the focus but Donny and Mikey are the best duo.

Fight? Fight.
Kitchen? Kitchen.

Oct 26, 2017
Nice to read a reasonable take from you juxtaposed against your garbage ones about Breath of the Wild.

Seriously though, Batman '89 then this a year later. Pretty magical.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I agree wholeheartedly.

yeah it's hard for me to articulate this, but the interpersonal drama in TMNT is just more organic in a way that MCU movies never are (and I enjoy them)