• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
I can't really outright condemn this, because a lot of people probably thought it was supposed to be ironic, like so many other things in our society.
If someone made a poll on here with the subject "Oh man should I kill myself Y/N", do you really think the people voting yes wouldn't just think it was a joke?
These kinds of jokes are very prevalent. It sucks and shouldn't happen, but it is reality.
Sz01cL3.png
But none of those examples include any variation of "really important, should i #killmyself?"

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
I can't really outright condemn this, because a lot of people probably thought it was supposed to be ironic, like so many other things in our society.
If someone made a poll on here with the subject "Oh man should I kill myself Y/N", do you really think the people voting yes wouldn't just think it was a joke?
These kinds of jokes are very prevalent. It sucks and shouldn't happen, but it is reality.
Sz01cL3.png
Being so fucking dumb and careless should be condemned too, imo

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
In this thread you can see who have or would have voted yes in a such a poll without too much thinking about. Pretty sad picture.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how the voters are responsible in any way. Unless they actively told her to kill herself and bullied her into it, but simply voting in a poll is a drive by kind of thing for most of these people using Instagram and Twitter

Like this girl actively convinced her boyfriend to commit suicide and told him how to

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/michelle-carter-texting-suicide-case-heard-by-massachusetts-high-court/
There are human beings behind the phone and computer screens. If you think it's ok to send someone a message that pretty much says 'Yes, I think you should indeed kill yourself'' (and people can't read minds yet so we can't know for sure what your real intent is), you're not mature enough for social media

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I dont think you can change your vote on an instagram story, and I think its quite easy to answer a poll just by tapping through your stories so I don't know how blame you can really put on those who voted when there is a chance it was accidental. (Im sure most of them are dicks and regret their vote but just legally I doubt you can do anything)

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Clearly the girl was suicidal and had issues before she posted the poll. Its a pity nothing was done.

Its a shame people, or in this case, kids. Had to be so horrible.

Instagram is awful and thankfully my kids think its full of attention seeking twats and braindead morons and dont want to go near it.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I don't see how the voters are responsible in any way. Unless they actively told her to kill herself and bullied her into it, but simply voting in a poll is a drive by kind of thing for most of these people using Instagram and Twitter

Like this girl actively convinced her boyfriend to commit suicide and told him how to

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/michelle-carter-texting-suicide-case-heard-by-massachusetts-high-court/

They did. They voted for her to kill herself. Maybe they don't take their actions seriously or you don't, but that girl sure as hell did.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Can you find some clear legal wording or anything that would say they're responsible legally in any way?

You didn't say "legally" in your first post. You said "responsible in any way". And you didn't answer to other posts questioning your take. Instead you decided that your next post after that in this otherwise pretty sad thread should be a bad joke to score internet points. I don't have anything else to add.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
This is awful. Social media is seen as a boon or refuge for a lot of struggling people, but it all too often is just invitation for chaos and the sadistic impulses of anonymous entities.

It kind of is a forewarning that many of the people who directly work in tech in Silicon Valley actually steer the own children AWAY from any use of social media and electronics. They are in the know that the stuff they are helping to build is extremely toxic for vulnerable minds.

Nov 9, 2017
Wonder how many people could have misunderstood the framing of the question (not paying full attention) or simply fatfingered the wrong response? Could be someone else was using the persons phone or computer. You really think these people should be jailed for responding to a social media poll?

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
User Banned (3 Days): Inappropriate false equivalency
The people saying that the people should be tried for voting in a poll sound alot like the people who say that the bullies who bullied school shooters are partially to blame...

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
The people saying that the people should be tried for voting in a poll sound alot like the people who say that the bullies who bullied school shooters are partially to blame...
Walk me through this please.
Because for the life of me I can't understand this anology at all.

...maybe because my gut reaction is to recoil in disgust and horror at the comparison idk.
Good lord that's enough internet for me tonight.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
It's only going to get worse.

I fear for the mental health of our youth as well. As communication gets more broad and expository the wider range of doctored personas people will grow up with having deeper and deeper discrepancies between their reality and the presented expectation. This gap widens faster than our ability to train and provide psychological coping mechanisms against for defense. The result is iincreasingly anxious, depressed, and hopeless generations.

Cognitive psychology should be part of preteen curriculum. The forces of technology and capital are against the mental health of our future.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017

I'm not saying lock them up, but community service, some fucking humanity or care training maybe. Something to teach you the world isn't your play ground to laugh at and abuse people and make their lives your toy.

It's one thing to see someone obviously in distress and needing help or being bullied and not do anything, it's another to see that distress and push it in a negative way or join in on the bullying.

There should be consequences.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
RIP, poor girl

In terms of the legal issues I don't see how you could hold anyone responsible. She clearly had some sort of underlying mental health issues.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Tragic tale. I wish she could've had help, we definitely have resources here for those suffering from depression (I've benefited from them myself)

Was this a yes and no poll and did she tell her audience it was about suicide? All I can find in our local news (I'm Malaysian) was a screenshot of her D/L poll.

Nov 30, 2018
I think perhaps you're going about this wrong way. The only question you should be asking yourself is: "will something I do cause harm to someone else?"

If the answer is yes in any way, then don't do it.

The death penalty exists and crime still exists.

What these kids did are shit but expecting prosecution? I suspect in countries like this they'd try to throw worse at them as well.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Incredibly sad. Fuck everyone who encouraged this. Really gets to me every time I hear one of these stories of kids killing themselves.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
This is depressing. The mob mentality and lack of compassion people sometimes put forward is absolutely baffling sometimes.

Deleted member 39450

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Boston, MA
The death penalty exists and crime still exists.

What these kids did are shit but expecting prosecution? I suspect in countries like this they'd try to throw worse at them as well.

Social change drives policy; doing something shitty isn't guaranteed to not have consequences regardless of whether it's technically legal.

All it takes is one pissed off judge (or jury) to set a precedent...just ask Michelle Carter.