• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
A 16 year-old girl has reportedly killed herself in Malaysia, after posting a poll on her Instagram account asking followers if she should die or not, and 69% of responders voting that she should.

Police in the east Malaysia state Sarawak said the girl, who has not been named, posted the poll on the photo sharing app with the message: "Really Important, Help Me Choose D/L". After most responders voted for "death", she killed herself.

Her death prompted a lawyer to suggest that those who voted for her to die could be guilty of abetting suicide.

Ramkarpal Singh, a lawyer and MP in the north-western state of Penang, said: "Would the girl still be alive today if the majority of netizens on her Instagram account discouraged her from taking her own life? Would she have heeded the advice of netizens to seek professional help had they done so?

"Did the encouragement of those netizens actually influence her decision to take her own life? Since attempted suicide is an offence in this country, it follows that abetting one to attempt suicide may be, too."

Malaysia's youth and sports minister, Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman, said the tragedy highlighted the need for national-level discussions about mental health in the country. "I am genuinely worried about the state of our youth's mental health," he said. "It's a national issue which must be taken seriously."

Ching Yee Wong, Head of Communications, Instagram APAC, said: "Our thoughts and prayers are with this young woman's family."
More at https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ills-herself-after-instagram-poll-in-malaysia

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
Attempted suicide is illegal in Malaysia? That's not a great place to start if you're trying to help suicidal people

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Just awful. Social media can be great but i cant imagine how bullying and peer pressure have only increased because of it.

I do wonder however, on insta and twitter its become a typical joke thing to talk about killing yourself, perhaps the people responding may have thought it was a joke/not serious? But i dont know if malaysia would have that same type of joke.

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
That poor girl. Wish someone could have helped her.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Well, I wouldn't blame the people who voted yes in a platform where people constantly joke about killing themselves. Poor family.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
Oh wait shit...I just thought she was taking a joke too far, not that she actually had mental health issues if that's looking like the case?

Shit sorry guys...genuinely thought otherwise.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Just awful. Social media can be great but i cant imagine how bullying and peer pressure have only increased because of it.

I do wonder however, on insta and twitter its become a typical joke thing to talk about killing yourself, perhaps the people responding may have thought it was a joke/not serious? But i dont know if malaysia would have that same type of joke.

When people 'joke' about suicide on social media, they generally do so post-ironically, meaning it's expressed in a humourous way but an actual feeling of theirs, it's a fairly common way to cope with mental health issues that's becoming more public due to the openness of social media, just fyi.

No matter how much it seems like it's "just a joke", you should never at any point encourage them to actually harm themselfs.

Oh wait shit...I just thought she was taking a joke too far, not that she actually had mental health issues if that's looking like the case?

...you thought she ended her life for memes and giggles?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I would.

Somebody joking about killing themselves vs somebody encouraging somebody else to kill themselves are two very different things.
But phrases like "kys" were still super popular in Twitter and Instagram. Back when I used it people constantly joked about killing themselves or about (jokingly) doing suicide pacts between multiple people.

It's not in good taste, but they really had no way to know if it was a joke.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Where I live, suicide is an individual freedom. It's not encouraged of course but it's not illegal

You know what I just checked and I'm wrong, it's legal almost everywhere. Including Malaysia.

Assisted suicide is illegal almost everywhere. I believe in the right to die in select cases (terminal or chronic illnesses etc) but I do think that while these kids shouldn't be done for killing this girl there is an element of Good Samaritan laws coming in, I mean they all just lolled it up while she posted a death poll.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
But phrases like "kys" were still super popular in Twitter and Instagram. Back when I used it people constantly joked about killing themselves or about (jokingly) doing suicide pacts between multiple people.

It's not in good taste, but they really had no way to know if it was a joke.
Whether or not you think it's a joke, saying 'kys' is still an invitation to commit suicide'. If you're (I don't mean you specifically, but in general) comfortable saying it, at least own that shit and be prepared to live with the consequences instead of going 'joke's on you, I was only pretending'

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017

Even if she didn't have mental health issues, the fact that the social dynamic of "somebody killing themselves because an Instagram poll said they should" exists is not to be laughed at or taken lightly.

How terrible for her and her family. Social media is such a strange thing to me as an older person. As much good as it does getting the word out about various terrible things, people seem to invest so much into it emotionally. Cyber bullying laws are a step in the right direction, but I wonder if in the future it'll be classified as something like cigarettes or alcohol (18+-ish territory) since it seems to be having a huge effect on the mental health of kids.

teacup

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
there are few countries where it is illegal, you might be thinking of euthanasia?

I think I was / just wasn't thinking at all really. I just assumed it was illegal but not like you go to jail, more just to make sure people don't just do it.

Euthanasia I was getting a big mixed up with because here in Victoria Australia we just got it passed recently so it's been in the news.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
This is so depressing that poor girl, people are so cruel. I don't know why anyone would vote yes on that poll unless they are just a horrible human being.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
How terrible for her and her family. Social media is such a strange thing to me as an older person. As much good as it does getting the word out about various terrible things, people seem to invest so much into it emotionally. Cyber bullying laws are a step in the right direction, but I wonder if in the future it'll be classified as something like cigarettes or alcohol (18+-ish territory) since it seems to be having a huge effect on the mental health of kids.

Good point.

I mean, I don't think about it but yeah ... this level of exposure and connection is very new to us. I'm 31 and I didn't have a FB until I was in college. I came into things at the right time to know of it and partake in it but also have a chance to not let it consume me.

If I had a Gram or something back when I was a sad life teen I feel like it would have made things MUCH harder.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Imagine saying you want somebody to kill themselves, even online, even as a joke, but especially to somebody you don't know and for all you know, could do it. Murderers as far as I'm concerned.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Well, I wouldn't blame the people who voted yes in a platform where people constantly joke about killing themselves. Poor family.

Pretty sure encouraging someone to commit suicide is a crime in some places. Wasnt there a big case where a girl encouraged her boyfriend to off himself and she was tried and found guilty?
Suicide is no laughing matter and people egging suicidal people on deserve to be tried.

Its all fun and games till the law is up your ass.....i hope the people who voted yes get whats coming to them.

Found it.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/11/us/michelle-carter-texting-suicide-case-sentence/index.html

HBO Docu coming out too

5 years......well 15 months really seems lenient.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
Suicide is no laughing matter and people egging suicidal people on deserve to be tried.

Its all fun and games till the law is up your ass.....i hope the people who voted yes get whats coming to them.
There is a gulf between the case you brought up and someone voting on a poll, so while I wouldn't call it blameless I hardly think anyone deserves to go to prison, unless there is more to it, which there probably is. Assuming there isn't though what's a fit punishment for hitting yes on a poll you don't know is serious or not?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Pretty sure encouraging someone to commit suicide is a crime in some places. Wasnt there a big case where a girl encouraged her boyfriend to off himself and she was tried and found guilty?

Found it.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/11/us/michelle-carter-texting-suicide-case-sentence/index.html

HBO Docu coming out too

5 years......well 15 months really seems lenient.

"helped plan how, where, and when" Roy would kill himself. Carter "downplayed" Roy's fears about how his death by suicide would affect his family, the judges said, and "repeatedly chastised him for his indecision."

This is nowhere near voting yes on a poll of a topic people in that platform constantly joke about.
They should take this instance to reflect on what the fuck were they doing, but I don't think they're liable for the outcome.

Good point.

I mean, I don't think about it but yeah ... this level of exposure and connection is very new to us. I'm 31 and I didn't have a FB until I was in college. I came into things at the right time to know of it and partake in it but also have a chance to not let it consume me.

If I had a Gram or something back when I was a sad life teen I feel like it would have made things MUCH harder.

Yup. I'll be 38 this year and I find the level of attachment/investment in these things bizarre. I enjoy using Twitter and FB to keep connected and post mediocre pictures of my food, but my 'self' exists outside of them and I'm not greatly bothered by bad comments or posts. It seems quite different for younger folks who've made it an integral part of their personality/self worth. It sounds a bit draconian, but maybe it should be treated as a restricted thing till you're older. I feel like it might be too late for that, though, since it's everywhere now. I'm a bit worried for my daughters on this stuff, I won't lie.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
There is a gulf between the case you brought up and someone voting on a poll, so while I wouldn't call it blameless I hardly think anyone deserves to go to prison, unless there is more to it, which there probably is. Assuming there isn't though what's a fit punishment for hitting yes on a poll you don't know is serious or not?
You don't joke about suicide. Ever.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
"helped plan how, where, and when" Roy would kill himself. Carter "downplayed" Roy's fears about how his death by suicide would affect his family, the judges said, and "repeatedly chastised him for his indecision."

This is nowhere near voting yes on a poll of a topic people in that platform constantly joke about.
They should take this instance to reflect on what the fuck were they doing, but I don't think they're liable for the outcome.
I believe they are. But it is one of those situations where it would be impossible to prove that each person purposely voted yes by the click of a button. A yes vote could have been selected simply by scrolling or even trying to press "No".

In other words, I doubt there is much of a case there. Nobody will see jail. I'd be fine with some kind of mandatory suicide counseling and community service though, absolutely.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone who voted "yes" should do some time. Even if it's like 3 months or something. They need to feel their decision a little more.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Again, there's a big difference about joking about suicide in general and telling somebody to kill themselves. The latter should be punishable in some way.

It's an aggravated form of bullying in the end.

Buzzman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't really outright condemn this, because a lot of people probably thought it was supposed to be ironic, like so many other things in our society.
If someone made a poll on here with the subject "Oh man should I kill myself Y/N", do you really think the people voting yes wouldn't just think it was a joke?
These kinds of jokes are very prevalent. It sucks and shouldn't happen, but it is reality.
Sz01cL3.png

Crow Pudding

Nov 12, 2017
Democracy.

Anyway, she was predisposed to commit suicide and was just looking for a push. If people had voted No, she just would have been looking for another excuse. She obviously needed help, but not from an internet social network.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really outright condemn this, because a lot of people probably thought it was supposed to be ironic, like so many other things in our society.
If someone made a poll on here with the subject "Oh man should I kill myself Y/N", do you really think the people voting yes wouldn't just think it was a joke?
These kinds of jokes are very prevalent. It sucks and shouldn't happen, but it is reality.

#killmyself is very different from #killyourself though.