• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I just had to shoo away this kid half-heartedly mumbling through a sales pitch to subscribe to this random paper for a year so he can hit a target and go to college or something. Other times it's candy. I could hear his friend down the hall doing the same thing with the same pitch-script word-for-word. They couldn't have been more than 15-16. I'm just thinking, how is this even legal?

I'm sure they're reporting to some sales rep above them sending them out to the city- But to think there are these likely underage teens knocking on the doors of complete strangers shilling dubious products and how incredibly dangerous that could be? I dunno, just shocked this kind of thing is not only still going on, it's seemingly still very common without any deterrent.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I vaguely remember that when I was younger, pair of teenage door to door salesmen went to our house, told us they really needed to use our bathroom, snarked amongst themselves, then gave us a sales pitch for something we didn't need.

To be clear, they did actually go in the bathroom. I take it on faith that they were actually using the facilities as intended.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I vaguely remember that when I was younger, pair of teenage door to door salesmen went to our house, told us they really needed to use our bathroom, snarked amongst themselves, then gave us a sales pitch for something we didn't need.
Always save some copies of the Watchtower for these folks.

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
Had a guy in my sophomore high school class hocking cooking knives. This is just a thing that I think is illegal but not really enforced

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
you seen the new french toast cookies?

meetthecookies-graphics-abctoast-yay-255x255.png

bet those fuckers taste great

VCFL

Jan 24, 2018
I remember going to my neighbours to sell candy, cookiee, and other goodies that werw available through a catalogue when I was in grade school.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
I just had to shoo away this kid half-heartedly mumbling through a sales pitch to subscribe to this random paper for a year so he can hit a target and go to college or something. Other times it's candy. I could hear his friend down the hall doing the same thing with the same pitch-script word-for-word. They couldn't have been more than 15-16. I'm just thinking, how is this even legal?

I'm sure they're reporting to some sales rep above them sending them out to the city- But to think there are these likely underage teens knocking on the doors of complete strangers shilling dubious products and how incredibly dangerous that could be? I dunno, just shocked this kind of thing is not only still going on, it's seemingly still very common without any deterrent.
Probably a school fundraiser. They handed stuff like that out to us when we were in elementary school and encouraged us to go door to door.

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
More of a shitty school fundraiser than anything actually illegal.

It should be though. Duping kids to be sales people with promises of cheap prizes.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
We had to sell those cards that had discounts to local restaurants door to door for football back in high school.

Hated it every time. Thankfully it was only was one day we had to do that.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
lot of runaways get tied up in that door to door selling stuff too sometimes. it's a whole thing.

sometimes it's an adult who rents rooms in motels and have sellers of various ages of young adult to just above 21 to do door to door sales in semi-legal situations who just go across the country selling whatever product and getting paid.

selling things like cleaning supplies that they'll do a free demo in your home for, or cutlery, or whatever as a "summer job" that goes sketchy.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Related, I had a bunch of kids going door to door selling cups of lemonade a couple of weeks ago. I asked how much, they said a buck twenty-five and I laughed in their adorable little faces

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Now I just use my Ring camera to determine whether I should answer the door. No recognize or no expect package, no answer. There was a while a few months back where I got something like 5 solar panel solicitors in a week.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Fucking World's Finest Chocolate. Shit was garbage.

At least have us peddle some good stuff.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
I was a hardcore magazine salesperson as a kid. Because if you sold enough magazines you'd get weepuls and I loved those things.

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
I have a sticker on my door that works well. Only one solicitor rang my bell in the years since I put it and he immediately apologized when I answered the door for not seeing it in time.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I thought that was just dropping off papers for people who chose to subscribe without needing to interact with anyone vs trying to sell strangers on something completely alone. Feels like there's a big difference.
Nope, you go around and deliver the papers, then hit ever house you didn't and ask if they want a subscription.

It's how they make money.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
You never lived till you see the old mini van drop off 10 kids in the subs with boxes of candy to sell.

OP
OP
PeakPointMatrix
Oct 25, 2017
Now I just use my Ring camera to determine whether I should answer the door. No recognize or no expect package, no answer. There was a while a few months back where I got something like 5 solar panel solicitors in a week.
Jokes on you, those panels could have powered your Ring for life

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I got one of these when a guy came up to my door asking my name. I asked what it was about and he said if I don't tell him my name then he will come back every single day until he gets it. Guess it was some guy looking to serve papers to a person that doesn't live here. Was crazy, but he indeed never came back. I probably should've got his license plate or something

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
All the schools I went to when younger in the 90s had these fundraisers for various things: trips for a sports team to go somewhere, new computers, and just plain 'this supports the school' ones. We Were always told to have adults with us when going to neighbors and they promoted asking family friends, but this has been around for awhile.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
You never lived till you see the old mini van drop off 10 kids in the subs with boxes of candy to sell.
Very common is my area 15 years ago. It was always kids from other cities selling magazine subscriptions because sometimes they'd ask for directions or what city they were in after they gave their sales pitch.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Because slavery is the cornerstone of US economics.

And girl scout cookies too.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I went to a small school and we had to do this shit all the time. Incredibly common even today.