• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Connope

Mar 6, 2022
(hint: the Euro recently collapsed vs the dollar due to Russia invading Ukraine, a couple of months ago a Euro was worth $1.14-ish, making €80 = $91.20. Don't claim Sony was right to hike prices in 2020 because they believed Putin would invade two years later)
Yes and in April 2020 (so about half a year before PS5 release when Sony might have been deciding the price increases) €1 was about $1.08, which works out at an €80 game being $72 before 20% VAT. The value of the euro against the dollar was on a downward pattern for a few years before the pandemic, I'm guessing Sony were hedging against that.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Yes and in April 2020 (so about half a year before PS5 release when Sony might have been deciding the price increases) €1 was about $1.08, which works out at an €80 game being $72 before 20% VAT. The value of the euro against the dollar was on a downward pattern for a few years before the pandemic, I'm guessing Sony were hedging against that.

But that's why regional pricing is a thing, it shouldn't be a direct conversion, but based on how much money people on X country make

In Brazil you can pay rent with the price of Sony games, and it's a direct conversion from USD. No kidding Xbox/Game Pass is gaining ground...

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
User Warned: Post Count Shaming
I love how the lowpost accounts come out of the woodwork to defend Sony in threads like these. I see at least three such ITT. It's hilarious, especially when they start interacting with each other.

May 14, 2021
From the company that brought you two different price points for the same game - Horizon Forbidden West. Not shocked by this at all.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I love how the lowpost accounts come out of the woodwork to defend Sony in threads like these. I see at least three such ITT. It's hilarious, especially when they start interacting with each other.

I was going to comment the same thing lol

Anyway, this isn't a great look for Sony. They should really sort their regional pricing.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
This really brings up a good point. So is this price parity practice actually standard if it didn't apply to these deals? Or it's only imposed on small devs…
maybe its only a thing if it's an epic exclusive as well. I do find it a bit odd that so many Sony third party exclusives are also epic exclusives.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Tunic released for Xbox and Steam following a marketing deal and was cheaper on Steam than on Xbox here (28€ vs. 30€ in Europe).

Paradise Killer released only for Switch and Steam with cheaper prices on Steam (16,79€ vs. 20€).

Deathloop and Ghostwire both released for 60€ on Steam and 70€ on PSN. Interesting since it's Sony and huge marketing deals, I guess?

Some users here should do a little bit of research before defending their favorite company.
Yeah MS seemingly doesn't enforce price party on its console exclusives on other platforms, only Sony does if this is to go by..

But sure people keep coming saying 'its how all platform owners do these deals' :D

Ibuki

Feb 6, 2021
maybe its only a thing if it's an epic exclusive as well. I do find it a bit odd that so many Sony third party exclusives are also epic exclusives.
Who knows what the actual reasons are, but I would see Bethesda having more leverage in this kind of situation.

But on your other point, I have noticed this. Looks like the Evil Dead game is another example of a PS/EGS exclusive.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Who knows what the actual reasons are, but I would see Bethesda having more leverage in this kind of situation.

But on your other point, I have noticed this. Looks like the Evil Dead game is another example of a PS/EGS exclusive.
Evil Dead isn't PS exclusive. It's on Xbox and coming to switch I think. It's just EGS exclusive on PC.

(It's also less than half the price on epic in my region.)

But off the top of my head:
Bugsnax.
Godfall
Kena.
Sifu.
Salt and Sacrifice

Connope

Mar 6, 2022
But that's why regional pricing is a thing, it shouldn't be a direct conversion, but based on how much money people on X country make

In Brazil you can pay rent with the price of Sony games, and it's a direct conversion from USD. No kidding Xbox/Game Pass is gaining ground...
Obviously games should be cheaper than direct conversions in countries with lower incomes/cost of living/all of that. But this side-bit was about someone complaining about euro prices being higher than direct conversions. I was just saying that that isn't the case now, and most likely wasn't the case when Sony chose the price changes just before the PS5 release. From a UK perspective the problem isn't slightly higher prices than direct conversions from USD, we get that on basically every platform. It's that the standard full price has risen multiple categories over a relatively short period of time (for Sony from £40 2 generations ago to £70 now), which I think is the case in Europe as well, and I assume where the user higher up's issue stems from.

Regional pricing that leads to lower prices in countries with lower incomes should 100% be a thing and it's terrible that Sony doesn't seem to have that.

Last edited:

Ibuki

Feb 6, 2021
Evil Dead isn't PS exclusive. It's on Xbox and coming to switch I think. It's just EGS exclusive on PC.

(It's also less than half the price on epic in my region.)

But off the top of my head:
Bugsnax.
Godfall
Kena.
Sifu.
Salt and Sacrifice
Oh that must have just been a coincidence that I only saw people talking about the PS version!

But yeah based on your list that is quite a few.

Matais92

Banned
Jul 8, 2020
Yeah MS seemingly doesn't enforce price party on its console exclusives on other platforms, only Sony does if this is to go by..

But sure people keep coming saying 'its how all platform owners do these deals' :D

You think one example makes it a rule? Again different contracts have different terms and devs can negotiate different things based on these terms and yes price parity is still something any publisher would obviously push for in a marketing deal since the point of a marketing deal is to get you to buy the game on that platform.

That is the point of a marketing deal, to get you to choose one platform over another and having a game be cheaper on another platform while paying for marketing undermines the entire thing.

So yes it is something Microsoft would do, they would also make sure a game they market also doesn't show up on PS+ or other subscription services.

Ostrava

Jul 31, 2021
Belgium
Developer doesn't mention Sony, so it seems like Techraptor added that on their own... What I don't get is, didn't the developer know this before publishing the game on other platforms? Didn't they read the contract?

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
You think one example makes it a rule? Again different contracts have different terms and devs can negotiate different things based on these terms and yes price parity is still something any publisher would obviously push for in a marketing deal since the point of a marketing deal is to get you to buy the game on that platform.

That is the point of a marketing deal, to get you to choose one platform over another and having a game be cheaper on another platform while paying for marketing undermines the entire thing.

So yes it is something Microsoft would do, they would also make sure a game they market also doesn't show up on PS+ or other subscription services.
And we agree that it's a bad thing for consumers right

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Oh forgot to mention, Sifu is a PS and Epic exclusive but it's $40 on PSN and $16 on EGS where I am, so... 🤷🏾‍♂️

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
If that's the agreement they made with Sony, then this seems reasonable. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me that price parity might be part of a publishing / exclusivity deal.

That isn't to say that I this should always be the case, just if that is the deal the studio made with Sony.

Sony deserves to catch crap for crushing competitive pricing in the marketplace.

Ibuki

Feb 6, 2021
Oh forgot to mention, Sifu is a PS and Epic exclusive but it's $40 on PSN and $16 on EGS where I am, so... 🤷🏾‍♂️
That is the weird part. Why would pricing rules be imposed on one indie dev and not another? Obviously the deals can be different but I don't really understand why that would be the case re: Sifu and Salt&Sacrifice…

Dec 4, 2018
I really don't see how this is "Evil Sony's" fault. Based on little to no information on this issue (with only hints from discord.)

First, Sony has every right to want price parity on their platform. Second, the following quote:

and Shane Lynch, the co-owner of Ska Studios, explains he "can't actually control individual prices on Sony, so some of it had to go up or down" due to agreements made with the platform holders.

I don't understand this part. Who are the platform holders besides Sony? We have little to no info on this issue. Also, I am surprised no one calls out the 3-4 word statements on the first page. I thought that kind of posting was moderated against?

Last edited:

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, don't enter into agreements if you don't think you'll be able to honor the terms.

And it's kind of bad form to publicly bitch about having to follow the terms after you're caught breaking them.

Don't think they'll be invited back for their next game to whatever marketing/support deal Sony gave them for this one.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I read this thread title and was like holy shit.

Then I read that it has to do with language in a marketing deal and was like oh.

Connope

Mar 6, 2022
Yeah, don't enter into agreements if you don't think you'll be able to honor the terms.

And it's kind of bad form to publicly bitch about having to follow the terms after you're caught breaking them.

Don't think they'll be invited back for their next game to whatever marketing/support deal Sony gave them for this one.
I don't think it's "publicly bitching". It looks more like someone asked "Why did you increase the prices so much on EGS?" And then they answered "Because we have to have price parity with PlayStation and there's no mechanism to do regional pricing there". And then an apology, which is standard customer support stuff. It's just answering the question in a purely factual way. The only emotion is the sad emoji, but that's just empathising with the "customer" that the situation is bad for them.

It also doesn't seem like they broke the terms intentionally (or maliciously). It was just they absentmindedly did what I assume was default and encouraged on EGS (automatic regional prices) without thinking about the consequences, then fixed it as soon as they realised.

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
That is the weird part. Why would pricing rules be imposed on one indie dev and not another? Obviously the deals can be different but I don't really understand why that would be the case re: Sifu and Salt&Sacrifice…
Didn't Sifu also get support from some Sony resources like mocap as well? Definitely feels like some missing context here.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
You think Sony is the only one that aims for price parity in marketing deals? They aren't.

PC games on Steam are both generally cheaper than their console counterparts and generally enforce Steam's regional pricing (which is very different from console regional pricing, more different than EGS's even) more often than not, so I think this is less common than you think it is.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
Another classy move, Jimbo.

Guess I'll wait for the Steam port and pray for decent pricing then because R$104,90 for this is hilariously expensive.

Thank god Xbox (and Steam to a lesser degree) do regional pricing here because holy fuck. I know our economy is in the toilet, but R$350 for a PS5 exclusive is insane. Buying just two of them is going to cost you R$750, which is exactly what I pay in rent each month lmao.

Jan 18, 2021
Well that sucks.

But then again getting people to work on bringing VRR couldnt have been cheap. Not everyone wants to work for exposure and you dont really see firmware people in end credits.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Only 3 sounds like a dramatic improvement compared to how things used to be here. There was a time when you'd have the same couple dozen frequent posters from the GAF days leading the charge into any discussion topic that threatened to cast their favorite platform holders in a non-favorable light, and by the time the low post accounts showed up, they'd have a multitude of facile arguments and fudposts to quote, boost, and co-opt as arguments.

It's by no means a phenomenon that's exclusive to Sony fans, far from it. I'll still never forget some of the asinine facile arguments that gained traction here just because similarly-aligned people quoted them enough. Edit: I should probably refrain from posting specifics, but anyone who's been here long enough probably has examples of their own coming to mind.

Last edited:

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
User Warned: Post Count Shaming

Some of them aren't even subtle about it. One particular poster in this thread doesn't have a very large post history, with most of their other posts (aside from this thread) being shitting on Xbox/Microsoft, in one case even in a thread that has nothing to do with Xbox/MS.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Sifu is a studio with publisher backing. S&S is self-published by a two person team.

Not necessarily what happened, but I'm gonna guess the latter is easier to to impose less favorable terms on.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
UPDATE 16/5/22: A spokesperson for Salt and Sacrifice developer Ska Studios has provided the following response to Eurogamer this afternoon:

"Salt and Sacrifice's pricing was always intended to be the same on all storefronts at launch," a spokesperson told Eurogamer today. "As such, storefront pricing was adjusted in various regions ahead of the game's global PC launch at 9am PT on Tuesday, 10th May 2022. The price has not changed on any storefront or in any region following launch, nor did any platform holder demand any changes to the game's original pricing.

"Developers Ska Studios and Devoured Studios apologise for any confusion regarding the price correction prior to Salt and Sacrifice's launch and as a two-person development team, remain focused on supporting the game following a successful launch."

in Eurogamer

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
but that's not like

an actual rebuttal of it though?

Like the message from the source tweet about this even said they're obligated to retain price parity, they had changed it on PC because they found the controls on the PSN insufficient to match it with PC, and the price differences people were complaining about was happened before launch

you can let the major gaming company take an L, you don't need to act as a defence force for it