• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Publisher / Developer set their own prices. Valve do show their own recommended prices for the relevant region/currency, but pub/dev can freely override.

Wolfire have a lawsuit on the way aleging that Valve does this via MFN in Steam, which is not the same as this story. A bunch of that case has been thrown out already including their lead argument to seperate Steam store and platform, so it will be interesting to see what evidence they can produce when overwhelmingly it seems prices are set independantly.
From my understanding, that lawsuit isn't necessarily about controlling prices independently anymore, but Valve's control of a game's price on other storefronts.

We'll see what evidence they bring, but if that is the case, then it needs to go.

Matais92

Banned
Jul 8, 2020
They have a marketing/timed exclusivity deal. Every publisher when making a marketing deal will have it in the contract that the game cant be sold for cheaper on other platforms. It defeats the whole purpose of a marketing deal.

If Microsoft or Nintendo have a marketing deal they aren't going to let the game be sold for cheaper on Playstation either.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
From my understanding, that lawsuit isn't necessarily about controlling prices independently anymore, but Valve's control of a game's price on other storefronts.

We'll see what evidence they bring, but if that is the case, then it needs to go.
Other storefronts being storefronts selling Steam keys, not other platforms selling the same game like this topic.

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming it's terms of a marketing deal… wouldn't this be in the publisher? Don't sign the deal if you don't like the terms?

YoungGunsII

Banned
Apr 23, 2019
Denmark
Sony keeps doing shitty moves like this and as long as we buy their products, we are "fine" with it.

Voting with the wallet is the only thing that works.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is that PSN usually have the highest prices across the platforms in Brazil, one would think that Xbox Live and PSN would have the same price but that rarely is the case.
And of course, Steam is the cheapest with their regional pricing policy - though the big publishers rarely follows it.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
Sony keeps shitty like this and as long as we buy their products, we are "fine" with it.

My thoughts exactly. People will crow about it and still end up buying it more than not, the cycle will continue. Unless Sony starts to do some real Acti/blizzard stuff they'll be fine.

Matais92

Banned
Jul 8, 2020
Sony keeps doing shitty moves like this and as long as we buy their products, we are "fine" with it.

Every company with a marketing/exclusivity deal will have it in the contract that the game not be sold for cheaper on other platforms... It would also make sure they dont show up in other subscription services. If they didn't it defeats the whole purpose of marketing deal.

So if this bothers you enough to boycott than you should also probably boycott Nintendo and Microsoft and other companies that make marketing deal.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Is this not deemed as both anti competitive and/or price fixing?

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably a marketing deal like others have said. Why pay to market your game for ps but be cheaper on other platforms? I get it from a business perspective

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Is this not deemed as both anti competitive and/or price fixing?
While I hate price parity rules, this probably wouldn't fall under either of those. Since they paid for the marketing/exclusivity deal, it's not like they're using their large platform and requiring all games (that I know of) of following this same rule, just ones that they paid for.

However, Sony should absolutely have better regional pricing to not fuck over poorer countries on other platforms with these rules.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
If anything, this might have just deep-sixed that lawsuit, since it demonstrates Most Preferred Nation clauses in action, and good luck trying to prove Valve does this bullshit.
If Valve does it, it's not really that hard to prove it. Find some publishers that have gotten letters from Valve to change their pricing on other platforms and there ya go. Of course, that's if Valve does it.

Ryu bogard

Nov 23, 2017
I recall some thing similar a few years back where retails and publishers complained to steam about lower game prices and got the steam to price match physical game prices in Singapore. It became standard practice after that.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
*sigh*

Come on the F** on you c**ts. Sony not only does high pricing for its PC versions of its own games but also now forces 3rd party studios to do price parity?

Fuck these corporate 1st world cunts. Any platform that does this on PC or on console is legit disgusting. Regional prices are no joke. Stop thinking that everyone around the world can afford your pristine exclusives Sony.

Matais92

Banned
Jul 8, 2020
Again this is on the developers when they signed a marketing deal with Sony. Every single company would include something like this in marketing/exclusivity deals. It would be stupid not to do it.

This isn't some thing that Jim Ryan invented, it would have been something that has been around a as long as marketing deals have been around and every publisher who does marketing deals does the exact same thing.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
So many matter-of-fact "they have a marketing agreement, duh" posts pretending like Ska Studios were too dumb to read their contract before they set prices or something. You don't whoopsidooles I accidentally the whole thing something like this, FFS.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Again this is on the developers when they signed a marketing deal with Sony. Every single company would include something like this in marketing/exclusivity deals. It would be stupid not to do it.

This isn't some thing that Jim Ryan invented, it would have been something that has been around a as long as marketing deals have been around and every publisher who does marketing deals does the exact same thing.
Agreed. I hate price parity, but this seems to be a reasonable rule. The thing that absolutely isn't reasonable is that Sony doesn't have regional pricing, which forced them to increase the price even off-platform.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
If Valve does it, it's not really that hard to prove it. Find some publishers that have gotten letters from Valve to change their pricing on other platforms and there ya go. Of course, that's if Valve does it.
Wolfire already tried to prove that Valve did this in a previous lawsuit. They were not able to show any concrete proof of this and as far as I know no other devs came forward, so it seems pretty much certain that Valve does not do this

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Wolfire already tried to prove that Valve did this in a previous lawsuit. They were not able to show any concrete proof of this and as far as I know no other devs came forward, so it seems pretty much certain that Valve does not do this
I thought that was for the claim that they did so for Steam keys? Also, they were trying to separate Steam as a store/platform. The claim that has been allowed to go through is the non-Steam games being affected.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Throwing a shit fit when your stake is just the 30% is rediculous

Deleted member 68874

Banned
May 10, 2020
It's probably a marketing deal like others have said. Why pay to market your game for ps but be cheaper on other platforms? I get it from a business perspective
They don't do this to their big AAA marketing partners.
CoD is $60 on PC and $70 on PS5.

This also highlights that Sony not letting devs change their regional pricing is also a shitty move.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
I thought that was for the claim that they did so for Steam keys? Also, they were trying to separate Steam as a store/platform. The claim that has been allowed to go through is the non-Steam games being affected.
I might be misremembering, but I am pretty sure that claimed that Steam forced price parity for non Steam key games as well.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
There is a difference between MFN clauses and a marketing/exclusivity contract. The bigger issue is lack of regional pricing.

kurashikane

Feb 4, 2019
Sony just doesn't give a fuck about regional pricing or customer rights in other countries. On the Brazilian PS store a $60 game costs 1/3 of the minimum wage, while on steam it's around 1/10.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
Yeah, and I believe that's the claim that has been allowed to continue.
It has, but as far as I know no other devs came forward during the first lawsuit, so I doubt they will do so now and they also failed to provide any concrete proof of this during the first suit, so it seems unlikely that this is something Steam actually does.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
To be clear, Valve does require that the Steam version of your game be offered at the same price on Steam as elsewhere, sales aside, although like most of Valve's policies in this context, it is rather loosely enforced and rears its head only if a game's retail key activations abnormally outweigh direct sales (e.g. I pre-ordered Mini Metro at USD$3.99, which later launched on Steam at USD$6.99).

Wolfire's claim that this also applies to non-Steam versions is utter nonsense and based purely on Sweeney's broad assertion that price parity is "expected", citing still-unnamed sources. Sweeney also claimed that Valve's policy on key generation was the reason why YsNet couldn't offer belated Steam keys to Shenmue 3 backers, but hey-presto, when people began pointing out to him that no such clause actually existed, and that the Phoenix Point devs achieved the supposed impossible months earlier, the situation magically (and quietly) resolved itself.

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Disgusting move. To not do it with their own games is already shitty but this, come on.

Matais92

Banned
Jul 8, 2020
To add on top of the fact that this is due to standard practices with marketing deals, Techraptor makes up a portion of the story when they say

"According to Ska Studios, this is because of Sony saw that the prices on the EGS were "much lower than Sony", and they thus forced to match the game's prices on all platforms."

Ska Studios never said Sony forced them to do anything and it is possible no one from Sony contacted them about anything. He just said he is obligated (due to marketing contract) to match the price. It is likely he noticed the price difference after the fact and changed them himself. And no one forced them to sign a marketing deal with Sony either.

Last edited:

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Wolfire's claim that this also applies to non-Steam versions is utter nonsense and based purely on Sweeney's broad assertion that price parity is "expected", citing still-unnamed sources. Sweeney also claimed that Valve's policy on key generation was the reason why YsNet couldn't offer belated Steam keys to Shenmue 3 backers, but hey-presto, when people began pointing to him that no such clause actually existed, the situation magically (and quietly) resolved itself.

I just don't understand the money they're spending on this case. Either they have something to show (which they haven't so far) or there's some grand delusion going on.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably why their Steam games increased in price too. Horizon Zero Dawn increased ~55% in price earlier this year in Norway for example. This is published by themselves though, so they didn't really force Steam's hand there.

Still, Sony is becoming a greedy ass company.