• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

A quick 4 min video explaining how Xbox Series X and PS5 SSDs could vastly increase performance on consoles as well as PC.

Thought it's worth a share.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
It's so amusing seeing how many channels these YouTubers need. It's like they get saturated enough that the only growth is move laterally.

Oct 25, 2017
Wakayama
I think there's also the part where games haven't been optimized for SSDs in specific anyway so a game made for PS4/XBOX is still bring programmed with normal HDDs as standard, and the PC port just doesn't do anything to optimize itself for what SSDs can bring to the table. With PS5/XBSX moving to SSD by default that should change as well.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
I think there's also the part where games haven't been optimized for SSDs in specific anyway so a game made for PS4/XBOX is still bring programmed with normal HDDs as standard, and the PC port just doesn't do anything to optimize itself for what SSDs can bring to the table. With PS5/XBSX moving to SSD by default that should change as well.

This is one of the big things I don't think many people focus on instead just focusing on how fast a game loads. Game design has had to be built around HDD speeds traditionally until now. With the new consoles both packing SSD's as standard they can build games around that now. When Cerny was talking about the SSD in PS5 he said that as an example games would be built around putting the next 30 seconds of the game onto RAM while people are playing because the HDD speeds are so slow. With the SSD they can instead put the next 2 seconds of game onto the RAM meaning they don't have to predict so far ahead which will allows them to put more into those 2 seconds vs having to fit 30 seconds of game into it.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
That fucking thumbnail makes me not want to click this video at all

Yup, Linus made a video answering certain frequently asked questions, and the statement was: "There's a reason everyone on Youtube makes these kinds of thumbnails. These 'Youtube Face' thumbnails ... just work" - i think they've seen a large uptick from non-subscriber views when they switched from a B-Roll screenshot to these horrible thumbnails.

It's so amusing seeing how many channels these YouTubers need. It's like they get saturated enough that the only growth is move laterally.

I think the issue is that LTT uploads a video every single day. You can't (shouldn't) increase your frequency beyond that, really. So they have multiple channels (Shortcircuit for Unboxings, Techlinked for News, Techquickie for 'tech explanation videos')

LMG is has like what ... over 30 people now?

Toad King

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
LTT even made a video about their thumbnails years ago. It too has a silly thumbnail though so people here still probably won't click it.