• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched DF a lot and yeah a disclaimer would be great in the future, I won't be watching the video and definitely not supporting the game.
Yep, same here. I was pissed I wasn't able to get a refund for it. Fuck these devs.

Also in regard to the Darx1x situation, this was brought up during the original flare up of this stuff iirc. His videos on this game are completely glowing and basically great advertisement for the game, probably the best they've gotten with the small budget for the game. So I don't think it's out of hand to talk about the shitty things they've said and the fact that the videos are in fact boosting them and their product that contains homophobic messages in it.
I think it's fair and definitely not derailing, there's a lot of people, like me, who wouldn't like to support devs with bigoted views. Attacking John was wrong though especially since he didn't know beforehand

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
This is the transphobic game correct? The devs have given me plenty of reasons to avoid this game even before any technical issues.

That situation made me want nothing to do with the game, which is a massive bummer. I thought the original statement from the publisher did a solid job of responding to the slimy content that came to light. Having leadership in the studio burn that to the ground out of what seemed like their own petulant hatred went beyond disappointment.

There are obviously good people in these teams. Enough for 3D Realms to have crafted the original response that addressed things well, but the end result was their better judgement being silenced because of conscious, aggressive bigotry. The series of statements from the dev didn't leave any room for nuance in why their art [must] include that hatred.

Last edited:

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I finished this video already a few hours ago. I got so much interesting information about console optimization and I really want to share it - I couldn't believe the details about what made porting this game so difficult. The port studio that worked on this is entirely separate from the original team as well.

It's a tough time for me right now so this stuff hits hard. I didn't realize the scope of it until now as I've been in and out of posting for chunks of time. I'll keep it in mind going forward.
Do it. You put effort in it and that shouldn't go to waste. I have the game on PC an honestly don't even like (didn't even finish it) it, but I am still interested in the technical aspects of those old-school styled FPS - especially on Switch (also the upcoming Wrath and Dusk ports).

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
If anything, this shows that bigot developers need to be called more frequently, so that people can make informed decision on what they want to support.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
User Banned (1 Month): Downplaying bigotry
I finished this video already a few hours ago. I got so much interesting information about console optimization and I really want to share it - I couldn't believe the details about what made porting this game so difficult. The port studio that worked on this is entirely separate from the original team as well.

It's a tough time for me right now so this stuff hits hard. I didn't realize the scope of it until now as I've been in and out of posting for chunks of time. I'll keep it in mind going forward.
Forget it, dude. It's resetera. There's no shame in enjoying an awesome game and appreciating the technical virtuosity that went into its development.

Ion Fury does fucking incredible things with the Build engine and last year's mini-revival of the 90s FPS was such a cool thing to see. It's a massive disappointment that the meta-commentary around these particular developers' personal issues has polluted any and all discussion about the technical accomplishments of the game. Just try to get past the drama and keep on keeping on. Your videos are one of the only things I actually look forward to on YT.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
Ion Fury does fucking incredible things with the Build engine and last year's mini-revival of the 90s FPS was such a cool thing to see. It's a massive disappointment that the meta-commentary around developers' personal issues has polluted any and all technical discussion. Just try to get past the drama and keep on keeping on. Your videos are one of the only things I actually look forward to on YT.

Yeah, bigotry is just drama, an inconvenience. Typical gaming side. By the way, the bigotry is present in the actual game, they chose to express their bigotry through the fucking game, so good job downplaying this shit.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Forget it, dude. It's resetera. There's no shame in enjoying an awesome game and appreciating the technical virtuosity that went into its development.

Ion Fury does fucking incredible things with the Build engine and last year's mini-revival of the 90s FPS was such a cool thing to see. It's a massive disappointment that the meta-commentary around developers' personal issues has polluted any and all technical discussion. Just try to get past the drama and keep on keeping on. Your videos are one of the only things I actually look forward to on YT.
imagej0u3a.gif

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

The height of privilege to not have to care about bigotry and just downplay it as "drama" šŸ¤”

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
The height of privilege to not have to care about bigotry and just downplay it as "drama" šŸ¤”
This is the shit I've come to expect from gaming side, a bunch of privileged kids that whine about being inconvenienced by bigotry being highlighted. Capital G gamers just can't muster up any empathy, they don't give a shit about marginalized groups.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I just got to try Ion Fury on Xbox One X and wanted to warn people. Something very weird is going on with the framerate. It feels like there are wild swing happening, I actually felt sick playing it.

The game also somehow has no option to invert the controls, which of course didn't help with the sickness issue.

So yeah beware.
Played it on switch the frame rate was nigh perfect it almost felt to smooth like it was well over 30fps

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Dark don't feel like shit. Liking the game isn't some sort of mortal sin like some folks are trying to make it seem.

Then why do you think it's problematic for him to like the game. He is friends with folks at 3d Realms and as far as we know they are getting the money for this game currently and not the shitty devs. Do you go after folks that cover the Dragon Quest series? He's not agreeing with the shitty devs just by talking about the game.
I agree like if attack one then why not the other. But i also recall one idiot is not the whole group of people. Sugiyama and the dude from 3d realms are trash but its not like earth worm jim where the sole creative work belongs to the bad person.

OP
OP
Xater

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Well this thread didn't go into a direction I expected. Hell I honestly forgot about the shitty things the devs did. Glad MS has a pretty good refund policy. Was no issue getting my money back.

What I am really not a fan of is how people felt like they needed to shit on John. Like really guys?

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
The bigotry is in the game.
Definitely not a bigot. But games are made by 100 plus people and anything with many people working on it will have some shit stains in the mess and sometimes its not supporting it by not buying the product as it does not send a message or anything as the person still gets paid regardless and you are only hurting the company overall for an individuals action. Shitty people exist wherever you go. And one asshole sneaking in a joke that they apologized and likely had little knowledge of is not something they should be "cancelled".

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
Hell I honestly forgot about the shitty things the devs did. Glad MS has a pretty good refund policy. Was no issue getting my money back.

I really appreciate this, thanks for doing this.

I agree like if attack one then why not the other.

Do you really think that one thing excludes the other? Why do you feel the need the to ask "...but what about this or that?" rather than sticking to the problem at hand?

But i also recall one idiot is not the whole group of people.

Read the original thread on this and you'll see a big part of the development team were bigots if not all of them.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
I see what some of you are doing. Stop blaming the people on this forum for "being mad all the time" and "not separating the art from the artist" - blame the devs for ruining their own public image with their bigoted nonsense.

Oct 27, 2017
Is the homophobic Easter Egg thingy still in the console port? I was so disappointed by that nonsense. Was really looking forward to the game before all that shit happened.

Oct 27, 2017
Warning people about the devs being bigots is something that needs to be done. Always.

Dark1x do not be hard on yourself. Mistakes like this could happen and we know you are a very sweet dude that do not mean any harm. The game is facinating and the devs being a bunch of bigots does not change that. An episode talking about it isn't an issue. I am sure you will keep this issue in my mind for the future. Nobody is perfect enough not to do a mistake once and in a while.
Is the homophobic Easter Egg thingy still in the console port? I was so disappointed by that nonsense. Was really looking forward to the game before all that shit happened.

Considering the fact that the devs put it back in after apologizing, it is probably there.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
I see what some of you are doing. Stop blaming the people on this forum for "being mad all the time" and "not separating the art from the artist" - blame the devs for ruining their own public image with their bigoted nonsense.
Yeah, but some were shamming Dark and accusing him of turning a blind eye. Hence the warning stickied below.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is the frame rate on PS4 Pro? Bought it on launch and looking forward to getting started this weekend. Will pick up Dusk from GOG if this is good as that looks like it'll scratch my Quake itch.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
Definitely not a bigot. But games are made by 100 plus people and anything with many people working on it will have some shit stains in the mess and sometimes its not supporting it by not buying the product as it does not send a message or anything as the person still gets paid regardless and you are only hurting the company overall for an individuals action. Shitty people exist wherever you go. And one asshole sneaking in a joke that they apologized and likely had little knowledge of is not something they should be "cancelled".

This is an incredibly rose-tinted gamer reading of the entire situation. You really need to check out the original thread on the matter instead of downplaying/misrepresenting what actually occurred.

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but some were shamming Dark and accusing him of turning a blind eye. Hence the warning stickied below.
I counted three posts mentioning that they were disappointed and that they found it problematic that he was covering the game. (This includes a mention in a separate vid)
Is calling out someone in three posts "shaming" now? Especially with the absolute ton of posts actually talking shit on anyone mentioning the garbage decisions the dev team made because you gotta "separate the art from the artist?"
It's arguing in bad faith.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

The bolded isn't what happened here with the dev studio. I'd recommend reading up on this before you defend something on principle that you don't understand.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Yeah, bigotry is just drama, an inconvenience. Typical gaming side. By the way, the bigotry is present in the actual game, they chose to express their bigotry through the fucking game, so good job downplaying this shit.
Can you give an example of what's in the game? I thought this was some twitter thing.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ion Fury was a game I was really looking forward to - in part because of the tech - until it turned out the devs hated me and people like me, and had no problem displaying this in their game. You can't argue that you should separate the art from the artist when the art itself is part of the problem.

I like John's content and think he's a good guy. I believe his interest in the game is genuine and he is passionate about the tech. But I won't be watching this episode, and I think it's fair to discuss his signal boosting of a problematic game. If he didn't know it was problematic, he does now, and I think it's fair to judge any future content on the game accordingly.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like Dark.

In no way was he being attacked in a vicious manner.

Also, I really wish we could ban "separate the art from the artist" rhetoric because it's always bullshit.

especially when it sounds like the art in this case is still blatantly reflective of the shitty devs

y'all are fucking downplaying shit when you bring that up - Like if port begging and lazy dev rhetoric is banned... How is this argument that 9 times out of 10 is a cop out to downplay bigotry or as a dog whistle still ok on this site?

Last edited:

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017

Just add a 2-3 minute explanation in the beginning of the video and ask people not to buy the game. The game still has all the offensive content in it, nothing was removed.
It wouldn't really be signal boosting if you are actively opposing the game and asking people not to buy right?

You can have the best of both worlds. Condemn their actions with the game, praise the technical stuff that has happened.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Can you give an example of what's in the game? I thought this was some twitter thing.
https://kotaku.com/ion-fury-developer-backtracks-says-it-wont-remove-gay-1837587508
"The in-game content, which Voidpoint had deemed "homophobic" in a statement to Eurogamer last week, included shampoo bottles with the word "OGAY" on them, as well as a secret area containing the word "fagbag."

They said they were going to remove it, but backtracked on it after the alt right review bombed them.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark

So you actually know nothing about the matter and your first instinct is to downplay bigotry? Why? Please help me understand why you would do this. Here's a link to the original thread.

Ion Fury devs show signs of transphobia among other issues. [Update: Voidpoint apologizes in statement, see threadmarks]

Here is a follow up thread.

Ion Fury to retain homophobic content after all

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
So you actually know nothing about the matter and your first instinct is to downplay bigotry? Why? Please help me understand why you would do this. Here's a link to the original thread.

Ion Fury devs show signs of transphobia among other issues. [Update: Voidpoint apologizes in statement, see threadmarks]

Favorite Part was promoting themselves as the noble fighters against Censorship.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017

So the transphobia isn't the problem, it's people rightly having an issue with that transphobia that sticks in your craw? Really?

If you truly didn't know what the dev team has said and inserted into the game, why even weigh in at all? You have nothing to contribute to this discussion other than making a post that tilts at SJW windmills.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The one I remember is some soap that is labeled "OGay". It's like Olay, but it's gay, LOLOLOLOL!

They said they'd remove it. Then they changed their minds and cried that they wouldn't best censored.

Fuck 'em.
Well, iirc they said they would change it to SOYP, which, while a step up, would probably not have helped matters.

As an aside, I would hesitate to call a part of the level that's clearly some relict of creating it and can't be accessed without using noclip a "secret easter egg." Which makes it even more weird they did not just delete that.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018

Because I genuinely enjoyed the game, appreciate it for the exceptional technical achievements its made in its genre, and never once laid eyes on the offensive content in question during my playthrough. This entire controversy concerning the developers' offensive beliefs and their whole terrible reaction on social media could practically be in another world from my actual experience of the game. Fuck their bigotry but if it weren't for the reactions on this forum I would have never known about it.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fuck the devs, but not the publisher because from my understanding they attempted to do everything right here. I still wanna play the game but I don't personally feel comfortable with a purchase unless I know the publisher keeps the profit............ Ya know it just hit me it's the exact opposite I feel about most games

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
User banned (1 week): hostility, multiple prior bans for hostility
Fuck their bigotry but if it weren't for the reactions on this forum I would have never known about it.

All the more reason to highlight the fact that the developers are bigots whenever the opportunity rises. Next time don't be so dismissive and actually make an effort to understand the issue before you run your mouth off.

Also, fuck every one of you that are whining about thread derailment, fuck you. Eat shit.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love how the callouts in these threads are always phrased like "aren't these the guys who said X?" or "isn't this person racist?". You obviously already know the answer because you wouldn't have brought it up otherwise, and if you truly don't know then why would you make an accusation that heavy without doing your homework first?

Genuine question

Are these the devs that discounted their game by 42% as a specific act of violent transphobia? I don't know if it was these devs but we know they're transphobic so I wouldn't put it past them? Plus that's a weird thing to look up and I figure responses from resetera, a forum where people communicate with each other, can provide more useful information and perspective than some google searches

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
I agree like if attack one then why not the other. But i also recall one idiot is not the whole group of people. Sugiyama and the dude from 3d realms are trash but its not like earth worm jim where the sole creative work belongs to the bad person.
God I had forgotten about Tenapple I gave him quite a bit of money for his art books before I found out what a human trash can he was.

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck the devs, but not the publisher because from my understanding they attempted to do everything right here. I still wanna play the game but I don't personally feel comfortable with a purchase unless I know the publisher keeps the profit............ Ya know it just hit me it's the exact opposite I feel about most games

The statement in which the developer explained that they will keep the content in the game and not "censor" it was unfortunately released in the name of both, the dev and the publisher 3D Realms.

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
Maybe put disclaimer to this thread too and link to dev discussion thread?
This thread does not resemble title premise at all now.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I don't even know what to do. I now feel like complete shit. I love 3D Realms and the crew running it are good, kind hearted people.

This was a dream game for me - the kind of thing I wanted more than anything else and it delivered. I want more games like this and I want to support what that publisher is delivering. That's really all there is to it. I make videos about games and types of games I really care about.

I didn't even CONSIDER this shit when starting the video and then I come in here and see this? I HATE what those stupid fucks said - they are morons for acting that way. Fuck them.

All I can do now is say I'm sorry for that and leave. Maybe it's time to break away from posting for a while? I'm trying to do the best I can walking a tight rope here but I'm just not good at it. I don't want to hurt anyone. I just want to talk about things I love and now, because of the actions of others, that's not even something I can enjoy.
It's only a tight rope because idiots make it so. I don't think it's your responsibility to be aware of the shit Devs say or don't say when you run a channel focused on tech, and people should not start harassing you for being unaware of the opinions and actions of the developers.