• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I just got to try Ion Fury on Xbox One X and wanted to warn people. Something very weird is going on with the framerate. It feels like there are wild swing happening, I actually felt sick playing it.

The game also somehow has no option to invert the controls, which of course didn't help with the sickness issue.

So yeah beware.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
No Y invert is a deal breaker for me. Also just saw that the Switch version runs at 30 fps. Seems like these are low effort ports.

Oct 25, 2017
This is the transphobic game correct? The devs have given me plenty of reasons to avoid this game even before any technical issues.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
No Y invert is a deal breaker for me. Also just saw that the Switch version runs at 30 fps. Seems like these are low effort ports.
Couldn't be further from the truth. I'll have a video soon but, let's just say, the task of porting this game was a very large one. An engine like this does not play well with consoles.

This issue in question is solved, apparently, and coming in version 1.03 very soon. I'll have more details soon because, yeah, first impressions also left me with serious questions.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Even the PC version has frame rate issues. Anything above 60 fps has stutter, despite gsync. It's an old engine doing things it was never meant to.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't be further from the truth. I'll have a video soon but, let's just say, the task of porting this game was a very large one. An engine like this does not play well with consoles.

This issue in question is solved, apparently, and coming in version 1.03 very soon. I'll have more details soon because, yeah, first impressions also left me with serious questions.
Interesting; looking forward to your video. I'd honestly forgotten that this is running on a modified Build Engine.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting; looking forward to your video. I'd honestly forgotten that this is running on a modified Build Engine.
Yeah and those modifications basically fly against consoles since it's super CPU driven. Old Build games aren't an issue but it's the way this game pushes the engine to it's absolute limits that destroys consoles.

Oct 27, 2017

Hmm it's already at 1.04 on the switch. i find it crazy that it allows invert for motion controls but not for the sticks... seems like a huge oversight.

Uiki

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

Isn't 1.03 coming out for pc too, with performance fixes?

nuttyevans

Nov 8, 2017
Had this pre installed on my Switch but the lack of invert would lead me to severe problems. I'll wait for the inevitable patch I guess.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It's very disappointing that you continue to signal boost these devs by producing more videos for Ion Fury on Digital Foundry. It makes the statement that you either agree with their views, or that you don't care.
And you can't feign ignorance, because you were already called out for it after you made an extra spot for the game in your "top 11" games of 2019.

EDIT: Since people keep quoting this post, I did follow up here and here. This was perhaps too harsh, especially when it now seems that John was simply unaware.

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Even the PC version has frame rate issues. Anything above 60 fps has stutter, despite gsync. It's an old engine doing things it was never meant to.
If you lock it to 60 it's perfectly smooth though. Above that there can be frame pacing (not frame rate) issues.

The biggest issue for me is that this engine doesn't play nice with controllers. When you use the analogue sticks to move the camera/view it feels more like a digital response, with no gradual acceleration as you move the stick etc. And whilst there are options to adjust the dead zone, saturation etc, it never feels right. But I'm assuming that's just the limitation of a game ultimately running on an engine from the 90s. Although wondered if it would be something that would be addressed in the console ports.

Note the console ports were done by an external studio.

ultimaotaku

Oct 25, 2017
It's very disappointing that you continue to signal boost these devs by producing more videos for Ion Fury on Digital Foundry. It makes the statement that you either agree with their views, or that you don't care.
And you can't feign ignorance, because you were already called out for it after you made an extra spot for the game in your "top 11" games of 2019.

He could just simply like the game, i generally try to disconnet games from the developers because someone can be an asshole but still make something cool.

on topic im so disppointed it doesn't have look inversion i wont be able to play this until theyadd it :(

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If you are disallowed to enjoy or talk about products that have any questionable statements made by people behind them then you will be left with virtually nothing. You can support or not support any product you want for any reason you want, but trying to shame other people for liking a damn video game is really annoying.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
If you are disallowed to enjoy or talk about products that have any questionable statements made by people behind them then you will be left with virtually nothing. You can support or not support any product you want for any reason you want, but trying to shame other people for liking a damn video game is really annoying.
100% this.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
He could just simply like the game, i generally try to disconnet games from the developers because someone can be an asshole but still make something cool.
You can like something without promoting it, by making exceptions to add it to a top 10 list or featuring it in several videos - including a follow-up 9 months after release.
Keep in mind that in the same "top 11" list Dark1x cautioned people against buying Devil Engine despite being on there, because there was a dispute between the developer and publisher of the game - so you can hardly argue about "separating the art from the artist" or whatever excuse you have for continuing to support Ion Fury.

You're right. If you dig deep enough, there's probably something problematic about most pieces of media out there.
But I think it's different to actively promote that media on your platform when multiple people on a small development team expressed the same hatred and doubled-down after being called out on it. At the very least, it shows that you don't care about those issues at all.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
You can like something without promoting it, by making exceptions to add it to a top 10 list or featuring it in several videos - including a follow-up 9 months after release.
Keep in mind that in the same "top 11" list Dark1x cautioned people against buying Devil Engine despite being on there, because there was a dispute between the developer and publisher of the game - so you can hardly argue about "separating the art from the artist" or whatever excuse you have for continuing to support Ion Fury.

You're right. If you dig deep enough, there's probably something problematic about most pieces of media out there.
But I think it's different to actively promote that media on your platform when multiple people on a small development team expressed the same hatred and doubled-down after being called out on it. At the very least, it shows that you don't care about those issues at all.

This is where I'm at also.
I mean I'm not gonna shame anybody for enjoying and buying the game but there is a difference to me between one dude on a large Dev team holding stupid/ignorant views (for example, Capcom & Reuben Langdon falls into that category for me) and a rather small team going all in with being transphobic and "anti-SJW" on their official discord (IIRC).

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
I find Dark1x' continued support for this game rather problematic, to the point where I stopped watching his retro series, despite enjoying it in the past.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany

Even if he doesn't care (I don't know if he does, I can't speak for him obviously), why is it so hard to accept for some people? I don't get it. Why not just stop watching their content/stop following them instead of constantly mention it if you don't agree with what they do? Is it so hard to move along and watch/follow someone else?

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I don't even know what to do. I now feel like complete shit. I love 3D Realms and the crew running it are good, kind hearted people.

This was a dream game for me - the kind of thing I wanted more than anything else and it delivered. I want more games like this and I want to support what that publisher is delivering. That's really all there is to it. I make videos about games and types of games I really care about.

I didn't even CONSIDER this shit when starting the video and then I come in here and see this? I HATE what those stupid fucks said - they are morons for acting that way. Fuck them.

All I can do now is say I'm sorry for that and leave. Maybe it's time to break away from posting for a while? I'm trying to do the best I can walking a tight rope here but I'm just not good at it. I don't want to hurt anyone. I just want to talk about things I love and now, because of the actions of others, that's not even something I can enjoy.

Deleted member 23475

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I can't wait to see your video as usual, thank you for the great job.
Would you recommend the Xbox One X version 60fps with drops currently or the Switch version at 30fps? (my switch unfortunately has drift issue which can be annoying at a time)

Maybe as I'm stuck from home, I should go for the X1X but the drops makes me doubt that. I guess I will have my answer in your video though :)
The game looks amazing in any case and I really can't wait to play it whatever the support it will be. Can't wait for Wrath next.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
I don't even know what to do. I now feel like complete shit. I love 3D Realms and the crew running it are good, kind hearted people.

This was a dream game for me - the kind of thing I wanted more than anything else and it delivered. I want more games like this and I want to support what that publisher is delivering. That's really all there is to it. I make videos about games and types of games I really care about.

I didn't even CONSIDER this shit when starting the video and then I come in here and see this? I HATE what those stupid fucks said - they are morons for acting that way. Fuck them.

All I can do now is say I'm sorry for that and leave. Maybe it's time to break away from posting for a while? I'm trying to do the best I can walking a tight rope here but I'm just not good at it. I don't want to hurt anyone. I just want to talk about things I love and now, because of the actions of others, that's not even something I can enjoy.
I hate this place sometimes.

I'm looking forward to your video Dark. I picked up the Switch version despite being wary about 30 fps and I found I don't mind it at all. I'm curious as to how you feel about it.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017

Dark don't feel like shit. Liking the game isn't some sort of mortal sin like some folks are trying to make it seem.

I didn't say it does.

Then why do you think it's problematic for him to like the game. He is friends with folks at 3d Realms and as far as we know they are getting the money for this game currently and not the shitty devs. Do you go after folks that cover the Dragon Quest series? He's not agreeing with the shitty devs just by talking about the game.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Dark, I think a simple disclaimer would be fine for your vids on IF. I too am super interested in the technical side of this game, not enough to purchase or play it but definitely from a tech standpoint. You don't generally dive into the content in a way that necessitates bringing up the bullshit aspects of this game, but given how people who watch DF might not want to support the developer monetarily I think a disclaimer would be enough. You don't have to feel like you are signal boosting their views, especially if you preface your content by recognizing the bullshit. Just my two cents.

Deleted member 13707

Account closed at user request
Oct 27, 2017
I've had a few mistakes that turned into checkmarks. Anytime you fall to your death, and the game tells you "Press USE to scream", the second you do it, the game crashes. On Xbox One btw. YMMV.

I'm liking the look of the game and the levels, but several parts of it remind me why I can't stand Build games compared to DOOM engine games.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017

It's obviously OK to like and talk about things that are problematic. It's just important, imo, to not ignore them. When talking about Ion Fury it's important to at least make people aware of the bigotry both the game and its creators proudly display. Completely ignoring it would be a disservice to any audience - I, at least, would be mad if I bought Ion Fury after watching any Content Creator's video about it, only to THEN notice and hear about the bigotry it contains and how proud the developers are about it doing that.

It's not that you can't or mustn't talk about it. It's just important to contextualize. And sure, that does suck - but the victims of this aren't really the people who now have to be a bit more careful about what products they endorse. It's the people who are directly impacted by this kind of hurtful bigotry.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017

The Devil engine devs have directly asked folks to not purchase their game because the publisher is not paying them for their work. It is nothing like the Ion Fury situation. Not sure what you were trying to show with that statement.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Is there an article or thread regarding this dev in relation to this?

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Dark, I think a simple disclaimer would be fine for your vids on IF. I too am super interested in the technical side of this game, not enough to purchase or play it but definitely from a tech standpoint. You don't generally dive into the content in a way that necessitates bringing up the bullshit aspects of this game, but given how people who watch DF might not want to support the developer monetarily I think a disclaimer would be enough. You don't have to feel like you are signal boosting their views, especially if you preface your content by recognizing the bullshit. Just my two cents.
This right here.

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
Even if you want to "separate the art from the artist," all that leaves you with is pretending the homophobic and transphobic stuff in the game fell from space.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, they were extremely transphobic, homophobic & ableist & kept doubling down again & again.
I now remember there was thread about it here with those disgusting Discord group messages. Thanks for the reminder, almost bought this game yesterday on Switch but decided to wait and see about performance reports.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017

If you were not aware of it (sometimes things that blow up here feel like a bigger deal than they are) and clearly don't agree with their opinions, I wouldn't beat yourself up about it too much. I realize that I said you "can't feign ignorance" about it because you were called out in the "top 11" thread, but maybe you didn't see that either.
It's not like liking how the game plays means that you agree with those developer statements, but I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable promoting/endorsing Ion Fury once I was made aware of them, no matter how I felt about the game.
I will add that some people can be quite two-faced, and seem like "good, kind-hearted people" only if you are the right kind of person.

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
Then why do you think it's problematic for him to like the game. He is friends with folks at 3d Realms and as far as we know they are getting the money for this game currently and not the shitty devs. Do you go after folks that cover the Dragon Quest series? He's not agreeing with the shitty devs just by talking about the game.

I find it problematic that until now, he stayed completely silent on the issue, despite being aware of it and, as was mentioned above, he pointed out issues with other games that are less severe. As far as I remember he was directly asked about this when his top 11 was published and he didn't address it.

I don't know much about the Dragon Quest controversy, as it is not a game I am interested in, so I can only speak of the ion fury situation.
3d Realms released a joint statement with the developer, where they doubled down on the problematic content of the game. Even when you are friends with someone, or maybe especially if you are friends with someone, I think you should call out such a move when covering the game. Not doing so communicates to me that your priorities may be such that they are fundamentally incompatible with mine. Whether that's true or not is a different thing, but this is what is communicated. As a consequence, my enjoyment in watching his video content is diminished, so I don't consume it anymore.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal

I understand your situation. Just put a disclaimer like you did for Devil's Engine. You like the game but those guys are dicks, just let people know it. The game is very much my kinda game and I was hyped for it but being gay I cannot with a good conscience give those guys my money.