• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

Photographer Theresa Bear expressed a similar sentiment on the PetaPixel photo site, writing that it's time to "make way for our black community" by banishing the use of "master" and "slave" to refer to how flashes are controlled. "Can you imagine being on set with a black human and the photographer yells to the assistant, 'Hey, can you put it on slave mode?'" Bear asked.

Other terms proposed for sunsetting include "white hat" and "black hat," with "ethical" and "unethical" suggested as replacements.

No one thinks changing the language of technology will bring racial equality to the US, which is still convulsing from protests prompted by the death of George Floyd, the unarmed black man who was killed two weeks ago when a police officer pinned a knee to the back of his neck for nearly nine minutes. But the effort to alter how technology is discussed acknowledges how pervasive racism is and how eager many people are to address it in areas where they might have some direct influence.

www.cnet.com

Tech terms face scrutiny amid anti-racism efforts

During Black Lives Matter protests, a movement grows to update terms used with hard drives, camera flashes and databases.

No lie, the first time I saw master/slave in my computer engineering classes I was disturbed.

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017
Master/slave is a term in tech? What the everloving FUCK?
flipflop-1.jpg

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Master/slave is easy to skip over since most people didn't even realize it was a thing. Whitelist and blacklist go further than the tech industry, however. That's going to take some work.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Tech and understand/know the schema but have never heard those terms. I know primary and replica/secondary

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Master/slave has always bothered me a lot. Was surprised no one else batted an eye when I brought it up as problematic.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Master/slave is a term in tech? What the everloving FUCK?
It was very common back in the 90s, not gonna lie didn't think much of it. In my defense English is no my native language and people were using it like normally, and it was in documentations and manuals, it wasn't like slang.
I'm not gonna lie I have never thought about it until now, I guess people just kinda stop naming new things like that and it went away. It feels like it was gradual.

I don't know that I have thought about those tech terms in the last 15 years.

Oct 26, 2017
Good riddance. When I started in tech support, we had a wireless transmitter. It sent signal from a Master to a Slave, and it made me really uncomfortable to ask customers to go find the Slave device and power cycle. I started calling them Mother and Child.

To be honest, I thought nothing of it during training. It was the first time I said it out loud to a customer that it clicked.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Maybe just my limits of hardware, but I haven't heard/used the term master'slave for computers since IDE drives stopped being a thing, like I said thought, probably just me.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hearing SAP DBAs talk about slaving over data for the first time was a triple take moment for me.

And yeah, there's a reason we don't use those terms. Outdated, uncomfortable, and has synonyms that don't carry the "yikes" with it.

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
Master/Slave drives feels like something out of university. Could probably replace w/ Parent/Child, I guess?

Whitelist/Blacklist, I have no idea.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember master and slave terminology from old hard drive tech. I thought it was weird then. Haven't heard it in ages though.

And yeah, it should definitely be changed.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Master / Slave phrasing is being abandoned in tech more and more, which is a good thing. Starting with few years back I've heard Handler/Agent being used instead for example. Or Primary / Replica.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Finally! Someone else said it! But it's not widley used nowadays.... At least for server and tape library hardware.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Havnt heard about master/slave since ide drives. Whitelist and blacklist can easily be replaced with allow/deny.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't heard anyone use the master/slave terms since the 90's. I guess if you wanna kill em, sure, but I think they're already dead and used by 70 year old retired IBM engineers.

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking about this the other day and yeah.. we need to rethink a lot of these tech words.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I've had arguments with people that can't see that
White = Good
Black = Bad

Has some racist connotations.

They're like "it's embedded into our culture" well so is slavery.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
At some point I switched from master/slave to boot/secondary or primary/secondary when referring to drives. I think whitelist/blacklist is going to be a bigger hurdle (and it's a bit of a stretch imo but language is fluid so I don't oppose changing it either).

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I can see that it's time to move away from the master/slave terms.

But I don't get why people automatically connect things like blacklist and whitelist with skincolor and therefore racism.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I remember Master/Slave from my logic circuits class lol.

Whitelist/Blacklist are super common, though. I think those will be hard to get rid of unless someone can come up with a really good term to replace them.

Azem

Oct 25, 2017
Coincidences abound. I was dealing with an old computer the other week and removed the optical drive, took a look at the back and, yup, inputs for master and slave and I was like "Mm, don't hear that term much these days."

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Known those terms for a long while but this thread just made me realize I haven't used them in a long time. At some point, no idea when, the common terms in the industry seemed to shift to primary and secondary/replica. Didnt even realize I hadn't heard someone use those in a while.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
iirc those words were all banned in Google code like ~5 years ago but schoolbooks probably still teach these.