• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
For the longest time I thought Tears for Fears was some trash band because there was a Tears for Fears song among my phone ringtones and so I always associated them with like, the Nokia Mexican Hat ringtone

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
One of the first albums I ever bought. Loved every song on it.

Their later stuff was pretty good, but yeah Songs from the Big Chair was a masterpiece.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Tears for Fears always gives me that warm nostalgic feeling. Such good music from a better time with less issues. Man, I miss the 80s!

Zom

Oct 25, 2017
075.jpg

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
My parents really loved pop music when I was a kid so we were always rocking songs from the big chair. Every song plays in my head radio the moment I hear the name. I still enjoy all the songs, with fond memories.

I also enjoy the technical work on the guitar. Neil Taylor had a very cool sound that was maybe Proto-TheEdge... regardless there is a lot to enjoy.

Last edited:

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I grew up with Tears for Fears, and all the songs in this thread are legit good.

It's just kinda wild how the Gary Jules cover of Mad World has become a meme. My daughter hums the opening notes to it whenever something comically tragic happens.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I hated Everybody Wants to Rule the World in the 80's because MTV played the hell out of it. I always groaned when the plane in the desert showed up on my screen. But I was 9 and dumb. It's one of those opinions I can't believe I ever had. Kind of like being a Republican in the 90's. How?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

Wow never listened to the lyrics of this song, super good.

Also has a very Beatles feel which I like

I discovered this from a series of blog posts years ago which discussed Acts Which Could Have Been A Bit Like The Beatles, and this topped the list, and deservedly so.

Here's the original post talking about the project, and here's the Sowing The Seeds Of Love entry.

Volcane

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tears for Fears greatest hits was the first CD I ever bought.

Laid so low (tears roll down) is my favourite song

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I hated Everybody Wants to Rule the World in the 80's because MTV played the hell out of it. I always groaned when the plane in the desert showed up on my screen. But I was 9 and dumb. It's one of those opinions I can't believe I ever had. Kind of like being a Republican in the 90's. How?
Tears for Fears was definitely overplayed in the 80s. You are not wrong about that.

But it also gave us moments like this.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
My favorite TFF is the stuff without Curt, like Elemental and Kings of Spain. Tomcats solo album is superb too. But Elemental, wow what an album.

looprider

Oct 27, 2017
Such a great band. My contribution to this thread is this beautiful slice of 80's ambient music they concocted

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
They're the greatest New Wave band of all time, as far as I'm concerned.

My favourite songs of theirs are:

1) Head Over Heels
2) Everybody Wants to Rule the World
3) Tears Fall Down
4) Shout

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
"There's a room where the light won't find you
Holding hands while the walls come tumbling down
When they do, I'll be right behind you"

One of my favorite lyrics ever. And it goes without saying that I agree with the OP

Camillo

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Saw them live, 1985 in Hamburg, "Songs from the Big Chair" Tour - Damn I'm old, but I still listen to their music :)

Feb 9, 2018
Songs from the Big Chair was one of the best-selling albums of 1985, and it deserved it. Such a great album. "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" was the #1 song in America when I started kindergarten, and it, "Shout," and "Head Over Heels" are quintessential 80s hits.