• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
You all have heard them. You may not know who they are because you are young as fuck and mostly thought that the soundtrack to Donnie Darko was awesome but fuck it, you're gonna learn now.

Tears for Fears was created ~1981 by Curt Smith and Roland Orzabal, after a series of musical ventures that didn't pan out. Their first hit was "Mad World," which many of you are probably imagining as a Gary Jules song from Donnie Darko but you are wrong. Now, I will say I love the Gary Jules version, but it would not exist without Tears for Fears.

While the album that Mad World released on, The Hurting was a success, Tears for Fears didn't achieve massive success until their next album.

Fuck, even Pentatonix did a cover of it.

And that album was Songs From the Big Chair. One of the best albums ever created. You have most likely heard at least one of the songs on this album, and if you haven't, it's time to join the rest of us in reality.

Shout was their big hit in 1984, and paved the way for the rest of their success. Of any song you may have heard from them, Everybody Wants to Rule the World is the one that I guarantee you have heard. Other than that, there's Mothers Talk and I Believe.

But you all know this song, Head Over Heels.

The band broke up in 1991 and everything after never reached the same heights, but damn. Let's celebrate Songs From the Big Chair.

Slayven if you give me shit for this thread, we are fucking done. Tears for Fears should transcend any of our beef.

EDIT: Since Colfari reminded me -

Last edited:

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
Songs From the Big Chair is a 10/10 record. I had been familiar with the singles but hearing them in the context of that record... absolutely floored me.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
This band is so unabashedly 80s and I love it. Was never seriously into them but every once in a while I give their more popular songs/albums a list because they were just damn good.

OP
OP
Hecht

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
why was there a monkey in the music video for Head Over Heels

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
One of my favourite bands of all time. The energy in some of their songs is so raw and powerful.

Oct 27, 2017
This is the second TFF appreciation thread I've seen here in a few months lol. They're great tho. I would say Seeds of Love and The Hurting are my favorite out of their discography, but I've enjoyed all their work.

and they've reunited since the 90s and even put out a new album. Also, were constantly touring on and off before the pandemic.

OP
OP
Hecht

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
This is the second TFF appreciation thread I've seen here in a few months lol. They're great tho. I would say Seeds of Love and The Hurting are my favorite out of their discography, but I've enjoyed all their work.

and they've reunited since the 90s and even put out a new album. Also, were constantly touring on and off before the pandemic.
The Hurting is fantastic, but damn if Songs From the Big Chair isn't just incredible through and through, then i don't know what is.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I only discovered them with their last album , Everybody loves a Happy Ending and I really enjoyed it. Not sure where it stands compared to the rest of their work.

OP
OP
Hecht

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I only discovered them with their last album , Everybody loves a Happy Ending and I really enjoyed it. Not sure where it stands compared to the rest of their work.
It's a great album, imo, but it pales to The Hurting and especially Songs From the Big Chair.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Songs From The Big Chair is a great album and their hits are some of my favorite hit songs ever recorded. I adore how of their time they feel and yet they don't feel "dated" in the least. No matter how many covers or trailers "Everybody Wants To Rule the World" ends up in I don't think that song will ever stop being extremely impactful to me.

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Songs from the Big Chair! It's been a constant on my rotation for the past few months. There is no band more emblematic of that 80's pop/new wave sound that has aged more gracefully than Tears for Fears. And yes, Head Over Heels is easily the catchiest one on the album. More than Shout and Everybody Wants to Rule the World, which is insane.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It's too bad I can't hear "Everybody Wants to Rule The World" without thinking of Dennis Miller.

Shout is so good tho.

d5XvjuN.gif

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Got to see them (err what's left of the band) live in the front row about 10 years ago and they were great. The friend I was with said beforehand that they were his favorite band and was going wild lol.

Atlagev

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's a Roland-only album, but I've always liked Elemental. Break It Down Again is up there with their best stuff.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Wow never listened to the lyrics of this song, super good.

Also has a very Beatles feel which I like