• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
PopsMaellard

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My favorites. Great music, intelligent lyrics.

For the new listeners:

3 albums by the original formation of Roland Orzabal and Curt Smith.
The Hurting
Songs From The Big Chair
The Seeds of Love

Post-breakup, by Roland Orzabal under the Tears for Fears name:
Tears Rolls Down (greatest hits compilation)
Elemental
Saturnine Martial & Lunatic (B-Sides)
Raoul and The Kings of Spain

Roland Orzabal solo:
Tomcats Screaming Outside.

Curt Smith solo:
Soul Onboard

Orzabal and Smith reunite:
Everyone Loves a Happy Ending

Plus a number of new singles and covers they've released on streaming. The duo was working on an album for a couple of years, but seems like Orzabal's wife passing has affected him greatly and it must have been put on hold.

The Hurting is the raw album, where you can pick up on their ambitious that went past simply being another pop synth band. Songs from the Big Chair is just sheer talent - yielding the greatest song of all time, Everybody Wants to Rule the World. The Seeds of Love is lushly produced, and where Orzabal's high ambitions for artistic achievement started to fray the duo's relationship, which ended acrimoniously. From there, Orzabal carried on by himself with mixed critical success although I love the work until they reunited in 2004. Hopefully we will get another album or two soon.

I like all of their work, I hope you do too.

This is amazing, thanks for putting it together.

While you are at it, give a chance to Simple Minds. It's pretty good as well.

I absolutely love Simple Minds, huge fan. Which I suppose doubles down on it being weird that I hadn't ever gotten in to Tears for Fears, being vaguely similar.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Songs from the Big Chair is amazing, but The Hurting is a very close second. Love this band.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
There's a room where the light won't find you.
Holding hands while the walls come tumbling down.
When they do I'll be right behind you.

One of my favorite set of lyrics. TFF is not only great but criminally underrated.
And then when it goes straight to the chorus "so glad we almost made it". Absolutely sublime.

It's probably my most listened to song of all time after MJ's Thriller.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I respect their work, but they were ruined for me because when I was a kid, my mom would work out on the treadmill every single evening, playing Songs from the Big Chair from end to end on full blast - at least 500 times over a few years. I've heard every song on that album far more times than just about anyone, and I'd be perfectly fine not hearing it again.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I respect their work, but they were ruined for me because when I was a kid, my mom would work out on the treadmill every single evening, playing Songs from the Big Chair from end to end on full blast - at least 500 times over a few years. I've heard every song on that album far more times than just about anyone, and I'd be perfectly fine not hearing it again.
This is me. Only it's my mom blasting Jon Secada on road trips

LordValhalla

Jan 9, 2018
Something great about them was both singers had such unique voices, but they sounded amazing together.

That and their sound production was off the charts.

Pale *clap* Shelter *clap*

Anecdote:
I had just started to date my most recent girlfriend (now wife), we were long distance and I had driven in to her town for the weekend. She wanted me to meet her best friend in town and friend's boyfriend and expected us to hit it off.
It was the usual of "what do you do?" small talk but wasn't really going anywhere friend-wise.
The bar had a karaoke set up and the girls sang a song that is lost in my memory. They pushed me and new friend to sing something. After scrolling through the book I said "I can sing 'Everybody Wants to Rule the World'"
We bonded on that song. Each word and pitch was perfect. We both bobbed to the music like Roland in the video. It was a an unusual synchronization of personalities. If the crowd boo'd I didn't notice.

We are still good friends with them and Brandon and I still talk at length about New Wave tunes.

Tears For Fears brings folks together.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Curt Smith playing with his daughter went viral earlier this year.

Also, their comeback album had some good songs. This is my favorite.

Kaworu

Oct 28, 2017
I got into them thanks to the Gary Jules cover of Mad World. One of my favorite bands since then. I love their b-sides too, specially

youtu.be

Johnny Panic And The Bible Of Dreams (Fluke Remix)

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupJohnny Panic And The Bible Of Dreams (Fluke Remix) · Tears For FearsSaturnine Martial & Lunatic℗ 1991 Mercury Rec...

TheeFanatic

Oct 26, 2017
tears for fears thread.
04435562da07292e09a3482caf6d4c21.gif

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
They're an incredible band. They put out their first original song called I Love You but I'm Lost in like eleven years back in October of 2017 to promote their greatest hits album and it's a fucking amazing track. It also hits me really hard lyrically, so it's extra poignant to me.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
"This song makes me feel nostalgia for a time that I wasn't even born in." The best way to describe their music. They are one of the staples of the 80s.

Illuvatar

Jan 22, 2019
A bit to poppy to be one of my all time greatest 80's bands, but still: they've made some amazing songs and great albums (especially The Hurting). Donnie Darko was my introduction to them (I'm guessing it's like that for many people my age), which also introduced me to Joy Division, The Church and Echo & The Bunnymen.

udllpn

Oct 28, 2017
I would recommend all of you to give a listen to Raoul and the Kings of Spain. It was released very late, in 1995, but is sonically incredible.

71xxCDiZnCL._SL1500_.jpg

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I did see them live years ago when they were touring with Spandau Ballet. Tears played first and did a good set, just the band in front of a painted backdrop. good show. Then there was the intermission and Spandau Ballet came on. We noticed that the people in front of us changed so somwhere along the line 2 couples managed to split the cost of the ticket to see their favourite band and not the one they didn't like. I was glad to see both.

I remember reading some amazing stuff about how some of the albums came together when the guys weren't talking to each other but had a contractual obligation to deliver an album

can only think of about 4 songs of theirs, but Shout and Everybody Wants to Rule the World were huge hits back in the day (i.e. my youth)

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
First audio cassette and cd I bought as a kid!

saw them live a couple of years, they were great. I have to listen to Song from the Big chair at least once a month :)