• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
fk Velkozz, we stan our ap queen karma. I was afraid the mana lock change might kill her but she still feels great. I'm going to be leaning towards it for now. I think Coven Assassins is pretty broken right now too and I wanted to spam it but am afraid of being contested. Only did one ranked game so far with the others being normals with my friends.

Though honestly I can't tell how much work Karma was doing vs Viego being a ridiculous unit. Taking someone from their side for a net 2 change in units is insane.

I tried Draconic a couple of times and it feels like a lead weight, honestly. Udyr is SO BAD.
I think if you get a Zyra or Ashe off the PVE orbs and then have 3 Draconic by 2-1 it's an easy path to the top 2 even but if you don't get it early it can feel bad. Just getting free Ashes and Zyras is so strong given how strong those units can be once 3*'d. But obviously the later you get online the less value you get from the trait.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Had a sweet 4 Brawler 3 dragonic set up and was just destroying but had to stop paying attention and get back to work and lost hard to a 3 star Syndra and a seigo

Brawler with curses Sunfire cape can take you far without lots of hp loss

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Leona is in the same spot for me as Tahm Kench was last set where yeah stacking items on them isn't good for late game but damn isn't it fun making something unkillable early. Got a 3 star Leona with two Warmog's and a Sunfire Cape. Could have put three Warmog's on her if I was a little more patient but still lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Had a working charger + nightbringer comp with a sprinkling of skirmisher working. Then hard lost once someone got 6 assassin's and I couldn't stop the Leblanc from destroying me

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
2 consecutive first place finishes today! Forgotten is strong if you can get all the pieces - it helps that you don't need a spat for the full bonus. And Dawnbringers is actually hilarious. I got Seraph's, cursed Seraph's, and Shojin on my Karma and lord she did some work.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Early Hellion feels like a trap. I've yet to have any success with it early, even when getting a 2 star Kennen at 2-1. I've been having a lot of success with Nightbringers. 3 star Morgana with tank items is nuts. The game I went 8 Nightbringer I was able to make a Nightbringer spatula and made Volibear one instead of finding a Vladimir (which I never saw all game).

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Early Hellion is a strong start imo. You can have Ziggs carry items for Karma or Kled carry items for Aphelios and the Hellion swarm acts as a frontline. Their synergies (or Poppy's) are easy to activate too. Makes for a bit of a messy transition turn though.

I just had a game where the game basically gifted me a free 1st and I turned it into a 5th =( Got a Karma off orbs at Krugs with a Blue Buff, Jewelled Gauntlet, and Chalice already built. Then I got two Neeko's Helps at Wolves. Got Karma 2, and went into some stupid build where I had no frontline for some reason and tried to Fast 9 gah. If I'd just held steady and rolled a bit at 8 to transition my paper thin frontline into something strong I'd have won.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
did pretty decent i think i've not finished top 3 only once this set. not consistently doing the same thing either. got pretty far using Coven or whatever and Choosen Liss against mostly melee team comps

Vlad is bait b/c unless you quickly get to 2 star you don't see them at all in my experience

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Spat carousel opens up so many good options. But somehow, Hellion always falls flat for me.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Got a 2 star Syndra at 1-3 that hard carried me through the early game. Tried going 6 Redeemed/4 Invoker. Worked pretty well but only finished 3rd because I wasn't paying attention to other boards and got screwed by a shadow Shroud.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
The Regen set doesn't work as well as I think it should. Got destroyed by hellfire and skirmisher. Paired it with Brawler and WW with the free 6% Regen. Need anti CC to kinda make it so you get top 2 instead of top 4

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Finished off my placement matches today. My strategy for Ranked at the moment is to go Karma or Aphelios based on my items/units at the beginning so I'm trying to get comfortable with those two comps. The endgame boards can be so varied in this set with how Mystic, Ironclad, Dragonslayer, and other cheap synergies are set up. I really like the jigsaw puzzle nature of it compared to a focus on vertical synergies.

For placement I hit:

1st / 5th / 3rd / 2nd / 2nd
Karma / Karma / Aphelios / Aphelios / Karma

Both 2nds was one fight away from winning and then in one, they had a capped Draconic board that permastunned my Karma between Ashe and Zyra =[ And the other...

fCSh98A.png

Sure didn't expect to see someone hit that in a Ranked game this early in the set ;_; I was the only person left and I'd been beating them in fights and then at PVE they got the Last Neeko's Help they needed.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
how is it even possible to hit teemo 3, with so much health no way they got it from roulette and then even with 2 neekos that's 42 health.

Currently everyone seems to be forcing shadow blue buff Leblanc.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Ironclad having a spat is pretty cool. It's one of my favourites to build because it's easy to fit and I haven't figured out great combos yet. I like the xbringer spats as almost like pseudo GAs that also let me cut a bad unit.
how is it even possible to hit teemo 3, with so much health no way they got it from roulette and then even with 2 neekos that's 42 health.

Currently everyone seems to be forcing shadow blue buff Leblanc.
They had a LOT of health in the middle of the game. I wish I'd been paying more attention but I'm still spending if way too much time trying to figure out my units / items / rolling because of how unfamiliar I am with everything so was hard to be effectively scouting boards lol. I think it was multiple Neeko's Helps, a carousel, and then like 36 health probably.

Yeah Shadow Blue Buff LeBlanc is dumbbbb. It'll be nerfed for sure either in a bpatch on Wednesday or the first patch. I assume they'll just add a 1.25s mana lock on her line Karma has. I think the only saving grace is she needs the shadow tear which makes it hard to force every game. Aphelios seems to be able to overwhelm her late game if they don't hit 3* LeBlanc and delete you too hard early/mid game.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
They had a LOT of health in the middle of the game. I wish I'd been paying more attention but I'm still spending if way too much time trying to figure out my units / items / rolling because of how unfamiliar I am with everything so was hard to be effectively scouting boards lol. I think it was multiple Neeko's Helps, a carousel, and then like 36 health probably.

Yeah Shadow Blue Buff LeBlanc is dumbbbb. It'll be nerfed for sure either in a bpatch on Wednesday or the first patch. I assume they'll just add a 1.25s mana lock on her line Karma has. I think the only saving grace is she needs the shadow tear which makes it hard to force every game. Aphelios seems to be able to overwhelm her late game if they don't hit 3* LeBlanc and delete you too hard early/mid game.
I never thought I'd see it but I do dislike that teemo is in the roulette at all, feels wrong. Lux in set 2 wasn't possible to get there I think.

Yeah it even looks goofy with LB casting nonstop chains and it's difficult to force because everyone's going for the shadow tear on roulette. Had a game where 2 people and me forced it but I never got a tear so I did a lvl 8 pivot to nightbringer aphelios because the items lined up and managed to get 4th at least.
That was right after a game where the final fight was 2 identical leblancs dueling which I didn't know why I was losing.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
My friend was trying to do it in one game end didn't get it so we just moved the IE to Katarina with a regular Blue Buff. Add Hextech and she's so much fun to watch lol.

Teemo gives you interesting options late game. If you're at 1 life and can afford it,you can convert your HP into money to roll/buy units that can save you. My friend was donkey rolling to eke out a placement, hit a shop with two legendaries that would complete pairs with 5 gold left, but there was a Teemo too so he could buy and sell that to upgrade both units at the price of 6 health (which left him with 2 health so he would've died regardless if he lost the fight and the other person iirc was healthy enough he'd never win the tie anyway).

Fake Edit: oh you said roulette lol well I do think he's cool in shop! I think carousel is interesting. I feel bad for Hellions who were bleeding too much before finding Teemo so theymight need it :(

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Bad had a Ashe, Sej Tell carry comp that was working 2 rangers all chavlier + heimer. Got my HP chunked from a 3 star Morde before taking them out then losing a close fight with a 5 forgotten comp

Next time I need to try and get two 2 star Rells for 1st place instead of 2nd. Was almost to 3 star Ashe had Neeko and rolled the 8th Ashe right as I died

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
This is super cool on the Tactics.Tools site! It's like those Spotify end of year things but for TFT looking over Set 4.5

Set 7.5 wrapped - Teamfight Tactics

In depth stats, analytics, match history, team builder, and various other tools you need to master Teamfight Tactics Set 8.

I think I'd have preferred they didn't tell me how many hours I'd played 😬 Guess my favourite comp of the last set lol

I find it interesting that I ended the game with 51/58 of the chosen units for a Top 4 at least once in Ranked.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Just had a game where I got 8 Dawnbringer with a 3 star Karma. Completely unstoppable lol.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Played a couple Hyper Roll games with some friends. Both games were won by someone going the shadow Blue Buff Leblanc build. Can't wait until it get nerfed because it's obnoxious to go against.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Whelp, my last two lobbies had four and three people going Aphelios. I probably need to figure something else out but I feel like I forgot how to play Karma already lol. Had some awful results with her. I think I'm also going up against people who know how to play the mid-game way better than me though.

I'm expecting a B-Patch on Wednesday at this point with nerfs to Leblanc, Ziggs, and Aphelios. They seem really broken. Hopefully Vayne gets a buff to be as good an item carrier as Kalista. Even with Forgotten and Ranger active it feels like she falls off halfway through Stage 3.

Also if anyone wants to play something really fun: Put a Blue Buff on an early Katarina with Jewelled Gauntlet or Rabadons and a Hextech or (Shadow) GA.Just try to keep up as she kills the entire team. Pairs fairy easily with Warwick + Gragas + Khazix + Thresh or something early game. Or 4 Assassin or Coven. At Level 8 at 5-1 swap Katarina for Karma and transition your board. If you want to stick with Katarina the whole game use IE instead of the AP item for even stronger damage.

Last edited:

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Just got first in back to back games. First was a normal game to warm up and wake up. Went 9 Forgotten for the first time. Like Firestorm said Katarina is a pretty fun carry. Put an early shadow Shroud on her which helped me a ton in the early game until I found a Draven. Eventually I got her to 3 star and she started to outdamage my 2 star Draven despite having 0 damage items (ended up also putting a Gunblade and Quicksilver on her).

Second game was a ranked one. Got a early shadow Tear so I went with a Leblanc build like everyone else. Took me until wolves to get a second tear and 4-4 carousel to get a (shadow) sword. Never got a second sword to eventually I put a Rabadon on her. Before I got her to full items tank Morgana got me through the early game, which is probably my favorite build right now. Eventually got her to 3 star with a Bramble, Warmog and Quicksilver.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Whelp, my last two lobbies had four and three people going Aphelios. I probably need to figure something else out but I feel like I forgot how to play Karma already lol. Had some awful results with her. I think I'm also going up against people who know how to play the mid-game way better than me though.

I'm expecting a B-Patch on Wednesday at this point with nerfs to Leblanc, Ziggs, and Aphelios. They seem really broken. Hopefully Vayne gets a buff to be as good an item carrier as Kalista. Even with Forgotten and Ranger active it feels like she falls off halfway through Stage 3.

Also if anyone wants to play something really fun: Put a Blue Buff on an early Katarina with Jewelled Gauntlet or Rabadons and a Hextech or (Shadow) GA.Just try to keep up as she kills the entire team. Pairs fairy easily with Warwick + Gragas + Khazix + Thresh or something early game. Or 4 Assassin or Coven. At Level 8 at 5-1 swap Katarina for Karma and transition your board. If you want to stick with Katarina the whole game use IE instead of the AP item for even stronger damage.
had a very similar experience going 8th twice trying to go for Karma or Aphelios and then a 5th with a hellion comp. Starting to get tired of Lebland, Aphelios Karma being the seemingly only endgame.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
had a very similar experience going 8th twice trying to go for Karma or Aphelios and then a 5th with a hellion comp. Starting to get tired of Lebland, Aphelios Karma being the seemingly only endgame.
I've had some success shooting for Draven or Kat carries in various comps. Hellions too, though they fall off if you don't get the spat *and* the Teemo, so it's pretty luck-dependent.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Legionairre Mordekaiser carry is stronger than Karma right now (Draven seems to be an afterthought). Jax is Top 4'able too. Hellions feels like a free Top 4 (Ziggs with Static Shiv + AP Item) since you're so strong early/mid that others will bleed out before you. I think some people turn it into Heimerdinger carry after?

I think there's enough solid comps. I just haven't learned them all yet.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
TBF one of those 8th places I was 1 of Aphelios 3 and 2 away from Karma 3 and just got unlucky

I primarily wish Velkoz was more consistent and that the higher tiers of traits were more powerful. Part of the problem with Aphelios is that he slots so easily into splashable comps. Revenant is a freebie frontline if you hit Voli, Kindred isn't just a strong unit but also fits too well into aphelios nightbringer because of morgana.

Also it's kinda weird that there's so many Rageblade Bloodthirster Deathblade/defensive item carries. Draven, Nocturne, Aphelios, Kayle all can carry the same items and are different builds but play out very similarly. Makes the set ultimately feel a bit samey. Similarly Velkoz returning when ASol just last set did basically the same thing even with the terrible targeting.

But it's also a good thing when new set don't entirely upend things.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
There's really only 2 4-5 cost AP carries with Karma and Vel'koz. Mordekaiser too but you can build anything on him and do well. There's also not many good early units to put AP items on either. When I go a Karma build I've been stacking my early AP items on Kha'zix. Ziggs and Syndra are the only other really good ones but if I can get them gold I usually keep the items on them.

I feel like the balance on units if they do or don't get their casts off is way out of wack atm. Rell is useless if she doesn't get her cast off which usually happens until I get her to two star. When she does get her cast off it's massive though. It's similar with Diana, Heimerdinger and Volibear as well (doesn't happen quite as frequently with Volibear as the ability still happens when he procs Revenant).

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn Static Shiv on Ziggs is amazing. Had a stupid game just now where I 3*d every Hellion excluding teemo. I was planning to go to 9 and play 4 mystic cause everyone was going AP carries but then I had already won at lvl 8 with 50g in the bank.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Got knocked out in back to back games by 4 mystic builds. First game I went the Leblanc build again and got 4th because I couldn't get anyone to 3 star. Second game I went 8 Dawnbringer and got 3rd because I had no frontline.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Redeemed might be the build I've seen the least of. I think I've only gone 6 Redeemed twice and finished like 5th both times. My last attempt though someone won going 9 Redeemed. I think the only builds I haven't tried yet are Legionnaire and 4 Ranger. I've also only attempted Abomination once. The main builds I've been going are Dawnbringer, Nightbringer and Leblanc builds if I get an early shadow Tear. Nightbringer is probably my favorite build but it can be rough to get going since you need two 3 costs to hit 4. Usually don't attempt it unless I get a Morgana, Yasuo or Lee Sin from minions.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I've won running Redeemed tbh. Done pretty well for me. You gotta set up the pivot in advance but with the right units you can weather the early/mid game and get a carry Velkoz up and running. Syndra I find you mostly want to cast as much as possible rather than try and carry through her, precisely; it's a very powerful CC effect.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
I've won running Redeemed tbh. Done pretty well for me. You gotta set up the pivot in advance but with the right units you can weather the early/mid game and get a carry Velkoz up and running. Syndra I find you mostly want to cast as much as possible rather than try and carry through her, precisely; it's a very powerful CC effect.
yeah always giving her a shojin for that reason no AP items particularly good vs assassins

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I really like the smaller counts of traits this set because the jigsaw puzzle nature of combining different groups of units based on the situation is really fun to me, but it also requires that I get better at the game so I can recognize what I have room for and need. I don't like vertical synergies as much because it feels very automated, though I think it's much easier to learn that way. I'm glad the Legionnaire comp exists because I think that's going to be the best one to teach people the game with. When I started playing, my friend taught me the basics using Brawlers + Ashe where you could stick with the same frontline that you built up over time and only needed to swap carries. I think that's the same here where you can just have Kalista + Aatrox + stuff, collect Legionnaires along the way that can up your count, and then swap items from whatever had them at first to Mordekaiser. Unfortunately I don't think a lot of units carry Morde items that well early game. Ziggs I guess? Ziggs needs to be less versatile :(

Syndra is an amazing Shadow Chalice holder for Velkozz too! I think Redeemed 6 and also Redeemed 3 are both solid comps but I have just preferred Karma as an AP carry. I think Redeemed can also be strong early with an upgraded Aatrox + Leona frontline + Lux or Varus or Syndra to round it out and then a Knight + Kalista item holder.

Oh damn Static Shiv on Ziggs is amazing. Had a stupid game just now where I 3*d every Hellion excluding teemo. I was planning to go to 9 and play 4 mystic cause everyone was going AP carries but then I had already won at lvl 8 with 50g in the bank.
Haha yepp I've only done one Hyper Roll game so far and I won with literally 50 gold remaining because I didn't know what to do next and was overwhelmed at all my units. Ziggs was nuts.

He should be patched tomorrow though:

I expect Leblanc and Ziggs to be nerfed for sure. Probably Mordekaiser and Aphelios as well. Maybe Ivern and possibly Heimer but I think they'll wait until next week?

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Tried a slightly different Forgotten build and ended up winning with it. Went 6 Forgotten, 3 Assassin, 3 Revenant. Got a Forgotten spatula that I ended up putting on Ivern. Got Katarina to 3 star before I got Draven to 2 star. Got a bit lucky with two Volibear's in my hand at the same time to get him to 2 star.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
I found the counter to Leblanc carries: Katarina carries.

It was hilarious to watch. Katarina would jump across the map and one shot Leblanc, proccing her GA. She would then jump back to the other side, which meant she wasn't in range of Leblanc when she rezzed. Then she would jump across and one shot the Leblanc again lol.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I found the counter to Leblanc carries: Katarina carries.

It was hilarious to watch. Katarina would jump across the map and one shot Leblanc, proccing her GA. She would then jump back to the other side, which meant she wasn't in range of Leblanc when she rezzed. Then she would jump across and one shot the Leblanc again lol.
Ahhh but you can build both. Assassinsssss

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Struggled through 3 games, then did another Katarina build and won. Went a bit different build this time with 6 Forgotten/4 Assassin. Only had a 2 star Katarina this time but I had an extremely beefy frontline with 3 star Hecarim, Thresh and Warwick. Had a Sunfire, Dragon Claw and shadow Gargoyle on Hecarim which made him nearly unkillable.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
nice is this an official katarina fan thread now

I'm not sure what my favourite item set is on her yet outside Blue Buff. I think it's 2 of Regular Hextech, Shadow GA, and Regular IE (though maybe Regular Hextech + Shadow IE is good?). But I just had two different players in my lobbies get 2nd with a Kat 3 using Shadow HoJ + regular GA + AP item which is interesting too. Shadow HoJ seems like it'd be good on her. I honestly haven't really played her that much. I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out the mid-game. I go into Stage 4 thinking I'm strong and then get absolutely destroyed.

In my last game, I was very healthy with a Kalista 2 (Deathblade + Rageblade), Brand 2 (Morello), Nunu 2 (Frozen Heart, Sunfire), and then some synergy bots to get me Legionnaire 4 / Brawler 2 / Dawnbringer 2 in addition to Abomination 3: Yasuo 1, Riven 1, Aatrox 1, Gragus 1

I wasn't expecting to win every game, but I got blown out each round and lost 40+ health. I was able to get it back to a 3rd place finish after I went 8 at 5-1 and transitioned over to my Aphelios board but all hopes of 1st went straight out the window x.x I think I've got Stage 2/3 down and Stage 5 but Stage 4 has always been my weakest part of the game and it feels even weaker here =(

I did make Diamond today though so happy about that!

Last edited:

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
My go-to build for Katarina is shadow Infinity Edge, Gunblade and Blue Buff.

Had an adventure of games today. Finished 2nd in my first game of the day which got me to gold 3. Then had finishes of 4th, 5th, 4th, 5th, 5th, 8th, 4th, 4th, 4th and finally ending my day with another 2nd. Was trying a bunch of different builds today with my best results coming from Nightbringer (2nd and 4th) and Forgotten/Assassin (4th with 6 Forgotten/4 Assassin, 2nd with 9 Forgotten/2 Assassin). Hellion is what I struggled with the most finishing 5th and 8th with it. The rest were me trying things like Brawler/Dawnbringer and Nightbringer/Assassin.