• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't really feel the same way about items. Zephyr is situational, but it can literally win you games in certain situations in a way nothing else can and shouldn't be a universal tool. Sunfire Cape is fine but it's honestly a wasted slot on most carries, and only shows true value on characters that have poor damage scaling, meaning its value is for off carries like J4, Naut, Rakan who survive long enough to get high value out of it.

Hurricane is essential for Shyvana/Kalista/Olaf, but it's a product of how their auto-attacks function and has less to do with the strength of the item itself. It actually doesn't show up at all in other auto-attacker builds. Sharpshooters/Kayle/Duelists aren't looking for it. Assassin comps are moving away from it with the carry changing away from Diana.

This isn't to say Sunfire/Hurrican are bad but like...it's kind of outdated? The importance of Guardian Angel, Last Whisper, and JG/IE combo seem way more meta defining when you can run into very tanky builds, or high burst that can delete carries. I don't think items are an issue at all with the set right now. If I had a complaint it would be that none of the champions themselves have very plain toolkits, so you don't see many interesting abilities that feel like they really change the game.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
The issue is I think more about opportunity costs. Sure, you could put a Zephyr on somebody, if that's all that you can make, and it's better than having them on the bench... but if you could turn that belt into a Sunfire Cape and the cloak into a Runaan's that's almost always better.
Yeah, but I think that's good? Items have to be balanced in usefulness across early / mid / late game too. Zephyr is an S-tier item late game so if it was also something you'd want to slam early game, then people would always rush to make it. Sunfire Cape is S-tier early game but maybe like a B-tier item late game so you'd slam that early. I think at 5-1 if I had Chainvest + Belt + Cloak, I'm probably making Zephyr but if it was 2-1 I'm making Sunfire Cape.

Or Sunfire Cape each time because I'm lazy and scouting/positioning is hard :(

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Unless I'm memeing and building multiple Zephyrs, I rarely build them since Quicksilver blocks it.

I do think the items need to be revamped a bit. 2-4 bows being required for a lot of comps is annoying. I think rods are a bit too strong atm too (Rabadon's is very underrated). Sword, glove and cloak I think are in decent spots. Tears are terrible right now outside of HoJ and Chalice. Vest I don't think is in quite as bad of a spot but outside of Brambles most of it is very niche.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Urgh, at the point in Ranked where a third is +15 LP, a second is +27 LP, but a seventh is -57 LP. I just went 7th, 2nd, 7th and am feeling BAD :( This last game especially was completely my fault for just getting too flustered trying to transition into my late game Dragonsoul board which makes me feel even worse. It was completely within reach to Top 4. I was strong if I just put the correct units in with the items in the right spot. Gah.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Played a game just now where I got down to literally 1 life. Grabbed Samira on the carousel. Stuck ALL my items on her. And... got first place. God she's unreal with a Mortal Reminder. That with a GA so she always gets her spell off and a Giant Slayer to make sure it shreds the big boys and she's just completely unstoppable. Sejuani basically always casting her spell (even level 1) so the full enemy team gets stunned, and you're in business.

In other words: I like this patch. Blitz app's recs are a lot more varied now, too.

E: Two in a row! 🎉

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
new patch today

na.leagueoflegends.com

Teamfight Tactics patch 11.5 notes

Patch 11.5 brings a slew of item changes, a debuff system overhaul, and a couple balance tweaks.
They're starting to tease Set 5 👀

2 Vanguards could pretty easily frontline for a whole team of nonsense, so that and the other changes looks like a good shift to me. Even if I did go 3 first place finishes in a row this patch ;__;

I will say, though, I've had Samira hard carry even at 1* and even without Deathblade. She may be sorta unstoppable now.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Mort often mentions set 5 in context of some design decisions and they already announced the theme I think.
Did a little looking around, yeah. Light and Dark. Well, should be entertaining. Looking forwards to Lucian and Senna probably making a comeback.

At some point they're gonna figure out a set KDA fits in.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
With some of the changes it feels like a few of the 1 cost chosens are re-rollable again if you have enough of them by Stage 3. I had 5 Nasus and decided to re-roll at 5. Hit Nasus 3 before Wolves. Ended up 3rd but honestly felt strong enough for 1st if the boards hadn't been these.

k3qucfk.png

In general, 11.4 and now 11.5 have been great patches. There are so many different viable ways to win a lobby or at least top 4 between 4 cost carries, 3 cost carries, re-rolling, or pushing levels. Lot of comeback potential with the ability to recover using lower cost carries and the higher cost carries are still really powerful.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so ready for the new set...
Or bring back old sets for custom lobbies or casual play I want set 2 or set 1 fun back

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Spirit Sharpshooters feel so oppressive =[ I would bet so much money that they get nerfed on Wednesday.

As for the next set, seems a preview has been released on the official Vietnamese League of Legends Facebook page:
Edit: English channel video on YouTube:

Also apparently I would have lost a lot of money because what the heck. Tristana untouched. Two of the core items are being nerfed at least?

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys I recently installed this game and have been playing it on and off. I am completely new to the auto battler genre.

While I have climbed to Silver without much problem, it feels that all the way through I really didn't know much about what I was doing. I have looked at some guides and while they filled in some gaps, I still have a lot of questions that I am hoping to see answered:

*How do you decide which build to go for? Is it based on the items you get? The champions being offered to you? Or based on what other players are doing? I feel like if I go in with a pre-set build in mind then it usually underperforms where as if I go based on what's offered I do a bit better. I feel like I usually get punished for going more "meta" builds because usually 2-3 other people in the match are also going for it.

*How do you know when to save up and stock up for 50 gold and when to aggressive use gold to reroll for champions? I have had mixed results for both of these. Sometime I feel like I am wasting rerolls trying to get a 3 star champions, other times I feel like I am wasting my gold by having it just sit there doing nothing.

*I do now know when to stick to early levels (if your comp has a lot of 1-2 tier champs you want to level) vs go for high levels (if your comp needs high level champs) however if you don't know what build you are going for then how will you know? What if you decide to go for a comp that needs tier 1-2 champs leveled to 3 star but you reroll your gold trying to find them but they don't appear? I feel like I am often making bad decisions that shoehorn me into something that is suboptimal.

*Is it a viable strat to buy champions that you don't need but are ones that someone in the lobby does need? This seems like something that other people are doing but I am not doing enough and towards the end, they have a couple of 3 star champs and I don't have a single one.

*Does buying champs from the shop increase the chance of other champs appearing? Say I buy a Yasuo from the shop, does that mean it increases the chance of Fiora (or other champs in the tier) appearing? Is this something that people do to increase their odds of certain champs? I would appreciate all tips for increasing odds on finding specific champs. I do know that what level you are at dictates the chance of certain tiers (higher level = higher tiers appearing more likely).

*Are there any ways to get the items you want? I often see that players have the right 3 items for their carry champs but I am often off by 1-2 items. Also whats best way to distribute items? Do you put all the good ones on the carry or is it more even spread? I personally put 3 strong items on a single high damage champ and then some defensive ones on the frontline with the support items on the support champs (like 1-2 items max on support).

*How should I improve my positioning based on what the opponent is doing? It seems like something I should be doing more often to avoid certain AOEs or CCs but I just don't know how.

*Are there any other ways to manipulate the RNG in the game? Is it better to lose streak early game to get some gold coming and get better carousel options? Is this something that people even do?

*Last question, is there a way to play against AI? I feel like I have no way to properly experiment in real matches due to constraint of having to play to win. I want to try out different compositions and generally have more time to think and read the text of items/champions.

Last edited:

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Hey guys I recently installed this game and have been playing it on and off. I am completely new to the auto battler genre.
While I have climbed to Silver without much problem, it feels that all the way through I really didn't know much about what I was doing. I have looked at some guides and while they filled in some gaps, I still have a lot of questions that I am hoping to see answered:

Hey! I started in Set 4 so I think I can help here based on what I remember doing as I was learning. I kind of had a hyperbolic time chamber training though as most of my friends I started with were already Diamond (now we're all Master!) so all my first games were normals with them lol

*How do you decide which build to go for? Is it based on the items you get? The champions being offered to you? Or based on what other players are doing? I feel like if I go in with a pre-set build in mind then it usually underperforms where as if I go based on what's offered I do a bit better. I feel like I usually get punished for going more "meta" builds because usually 2-3 other people in the match are also going for it.

In general, especially as you get better, you'll be doing it based on the items and units that you're building up. Another way, and what I recommend especially as you're starting is using your Chosen to give you direction. I remember when I was starting out I'd grab the chosen and then use https://app.mobalytics.gg/tft/team-comps to see if there was something that includes the unit or that chosen type. Right now I do something similar where:

• Brawler Chosen = Brawler + Dragonsoul with Shyvana carry
  • Tristana, Yasuo, or Syphoner Nasus = Re-roll those champs to 3* (well, only if I hit enough Yasuo or Nasus by Krugs but I think you should be able to do it regardless at lower Elo)
  • Mage Chosen = Mage Re-Roll
  • Elderwood Chosen I don't go into Elderwood Asol but imo you could go for it and it'll probably work out as you're learning
  • Keeper Chosen = Try out Keeper

Just off the top of my head. I think you won't have tooo much trouble just trying to force these different things as you climb until you're probably high Gold or low Plat. I mostly forced two comps I liked for a while as I learned the game and I think that finding some that you like and seeing the different ways you can go into it are a very good way to learn. For example, use Kayle or Slayers as your aim for Level 8 and learn what early game units can hold items to eventually become Kayle and how to transition using that. Afterwards, it'll help you learn how to do it for other comps.

*How do you know when to save up and stock up for 50 gold and when to aggressive use gold to reroll for champions? I have had mixed results for both of these. Sometime I feel like I am wasting rerolls trying to get a 3 star champions, other times I feel like I am wasting my gold by having it just sit there doing nothing.

There's few cases where you want to 3* most champions. If it's your main carry or they're very useful and you have like 5+ of them naturally, you can consider it. If you aren't going to itemize a 3*, it's unlikely you want that Champion 3*'d. In most cases the gold could go to more useful things like upgrading other parts of your board or levelling. I think the main things that are 3*'d are:

• 1 costs that can be the primary carry or you find them quickly (Tristana, Yasuo, Twisted Fate, Brand, Questionably Nasus)
  • 1 costs that you find along the way for your primary carry and because you're throwing a Locket on it which scales with * level (Diana in Spirit Sharpshooter)
  • 2 costs that provide insane utility and are the main tank in the comp that you're just re-rolling in (Annie, Lulu in Mage Re-roll)
  • 2 costs that you found the chosen of or were re-rolling for other units and just hit (Teemo in Spirit Sharpshooter)
  • 3 costs that is your primary carry (Kennan, Sivir, Shyvana, Nunu, Kalista, Katarina, Akali)
  • 4 costs because you high rolled out of your mind and already had like 4, found a chosen, and have a Neeko or something (This is usually close to an autowin if you hit it because of how rare it is)
  • 5 costs because you're the luckiest person on the planet. These are designed to be an autowin unless something goes horribly wrong.

*I do now know when to stick to early levels (if your comp has a lot of 1-2 tier champs you want to level) vs go for high levels (if your comp needs high level champs) however if you don't know what build you are going for then how will you know? What if you decide to go for a comp that needs tier 1-2 champs leveled to 3 star but you reroll your gold trying to find them but they don't appear? I feel like I am often making bad decisions that shoehorn me into something that is suboptimal.
If you're re-rolling to hit 3* of something, you're committing to that composition. If not, you're aiming for something else and you've already committed to not doing that re-roll comp. Usually, pushing levels is the way I like to play unless I have 5+ of a unit I know is good if you 3* to be the main part of the comp.

You would slowroll at:
LV 5 for 1 cost units
LV 7 for 2* units
LV 7 or 8 for 3* units depending on how screwed you are

For the 1 cost units, if I've committed to re-rolling but haven't hit after Wolves while slowrolling, I'll often roll down to 20 gold to try and find it after because it's usually doomed if I don't for something like Yasuo / Nasus. I'm just trying to scrap a Top 6 or maybe Top 4 at that point. A lot of the game is about turning 8ths into 6ths and 6ths into 4ths and whatnot.

*Is it a viable strat to buy champions that you don't need but are ones that someone in the lobby does need? This seems like something that other people are doing but I am not doing enough and towards the end, they have a couple of 3 star champs and I don't have a single one.
Not usually worth griefing until you're at the end game, only a few players are left, and you see they're close to hitting a 3* 4 cost or 5 cost unit. If they're one away from a 4 or 5 cost 3*, definitely hold it.

*Does buying champs from the shop increase the chance of other champs appearing? Say I buy a Yasuo from the shop, does that mean it increases the chance of Fiora (or other champs in the tier) appearing? Is this something that people do to increase their odds of certain champs? I would appreciate all tips for increasing odds on finding specific champs. I do know that what level you are at dictates the chance of certain tiers (higher level = higher tiers appearing more likely).
If you hold it, then yes. Think of each champion as like a card in a deck. Every game of TFT starts with the same deck. As you take cards out of the deck to thin it out, the chances of pulling other stuff increases. I usually buy out the shop down to whatever doesn't cost me interest and then sell the next turn for the following reasons:

* increase chance of something I want in next shop by a little
* if there's a second of an item I bought, then I now have a pair and may be able to upgrade it which is VERY strong early game (and can be more important than a synergy or provide a pivoting opportunity)
* even numbers in gold feel good :3

*Are there any ways to get the items you want? I often see that players have the right 3 items for their carry champs but I am often off by 1-2 items. Also whats best way to distribute items? Do you put all the good ones on the carry or is it more even spread? I personally put 3 strong items on a single high damage champ and then some defensive ones on the frontline with the support items on the support champs (like 1-2 items max on support).
Items are the hardest thing to learn. After hundreds of games you'll finally start figuring out more of "why" items are good which will make it easier, but uh, think of it as just "damage, damage, defensive" on most carries with defensive being usually one of Quicksilver Sash, Guardian Angel, or if you have to, Trap Claw. You usually want 3 items on your main carry, aura items on something beside your carry, and your frontline should have defensive items that help them soak up longer yes.

I used to have this open as I played to help know what to throw onto champions I wasn't as familiar with. It's what people usually throw on them: https://lolchess.gg/statistics/items

*How should I improve my positioning based on what the opponent is doing? It seems like something I should be doing more often to avoid certain AOEs or CCs but I just don't know how.
I think positioning is really hard to figure out. I normally would start out with just your damage backlined and your tanks frontlined. Put one unit in front of your carry if you're afraid of assassins. This was a cool beginners guide in the last set: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1c4LHINf6NKpDQ3vyXNX8lRx36eUQfeSP9kk8ZEVX0vA/edit

Positioning is what I'm probably weakest at.

*Are there any other ways to manipulate the RNG in the game? Is it better to lose streak early game to get some gold coming and get better carousel options? Is this something that people even do?
It can be but it's hard and I don't recommend learning this way tbh. I think being strong is best.

*Last question, is there a way to play against AI? I feel like I have no way to properly experiment in real matches due to constraint of having to play to win. I want to try out different compositions and generally have more time to think and read the text of items/champions.
Unfortunately not really. I think Normals are fine though. Just don't worry about winning / losing.

Other
I highly recommend giving this tweet thread a read. It helps a lot with giving yourself a "normal" way of playing before you start deviating.

This is also something I read when I was starting out that really helped me think about the game in a better way: https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiv...how_to_properly_playing_flex_mismatchedsocks/

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the very detailed and helpful post. I will read and put it to practice, then respond if I have further questions. The resources are helpful too.

And yeah I forgot to ask about Chosens. Is it better to stick with your initial Chosen or just wait until you get a higher tier Chosen?

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Thanks for the very detailed and helpful post. I will read and put it to practice, then respond if I have further questions. The resources are helpful too.

And yeah I forgot to ask about Chosens. Is it better to stick with your initial Chosen or just wait until you get a higher tier Chosen?
I usually take one of the first few chosens I get and sell it when I'm transitioning to a later game board. You can think about selling your chosen for a stronger one whenever you're going to roll a little to get stronger. I think it's simplest to try and stick to one until you go into your late game comp if it's working for you.

By the way, I forgot to add on the subject of trying to 3* but these are how many of each unit is in the game:

1 Cost: 29
2 Cost: 22
3 Cost: 18
4 Cost: 12
5 Cost: 10

3*ing a unit takes 9 units so as you can see, doing a 3* 3 cost is pretty rough if someone else is going for it too. Two players will almost never be able to 3* the same 3 cost unit because that means 0 other people have taken one (or a Neeko / late chosen was found).

3*ing a 4 cost unit is impossible there are 4 others taken up (so a 1* and a 2* on anyones boards).

3*ing a 5 cost unit is impossible as soon as someone else has two of it.

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I am doing a lot better not chasing the 3 stars and saving up the gold.

That position document was pretty helpful though I was already using most of the stuff in it. The late game positions were pretty insightful.

Man I was so close to 1st place last round. The one game I didn't craft the anti-heal book the opponent's two healers kept the carry alive indefinitely.

Last edited:

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, top players are prioritizing Morellonomicon as the most important item as it's so useful against Slayers especially. If you can't build that, Sunfire Cape is a decent substitute. Throw Morello on someone with an AoE spell (Morgana is the best for it but anyone who hits multiple targets with their spell can hold it. Sejuani is another popular late game choice. Early game, Tristana and Garen are great).

Sunfire Cape is good on bulky targets who stick around a long time like Tahm Kench early or Shen late. Amazing on nautilus if playing Fabled.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Spirit Sharpshooters feel so oppressive =[ I would bet so much money that they get nerfed on Wednesday.

As for the next set, seems a preview has been released on the official Vietnamese League of Legends Facebook page:
Edit: [...] apparently I would have lost a lot of money because what the heck. Tristana untouched. Two of the core items are being nerfed at least?

nvm they emergency fixed it between the preview and the patch lol

• Tristana Rapid Fire Attack Speed: 60/70/90% ⇒ 60/65/70%

teamfighttactics.leagueoflegends.com

Teamfight Tactics patch 11.6 notes

11.6 puts the focus on balance nudges to maintain our balanced game state.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My most 1st place wins were with Tristana Sharpshooter set ups lol!

Followed by.. Arakali and Talon carry builds. People really fold when their carries get killed early in a fight.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Y'all ever four-way tie for 5th to 8th and lose the tiebreaker? Feels bad :(

Screen_Shot_2021-03-18_at_10.42.16_PM.png

I can never do well when I go into Slayer even with good Slayer starts but I think I'm slowly learning.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Dying with items in inventory and surplus of gold always feels super bad.
Yeah, you should almost never do that. Rule of thumb, after Raptors (so by 5-1) make all your items because you're not going to get any more components for at least 8 rounds and even then you probably want to pick up a full item. If you have gold left over when dying, it's because you've misjudged your strength in 90% of cases.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Finally did it!

EFNwlHd.png

After a series of bad games that took me back down to Diamond, I decided to stop being so focused on Kayle and play more flexibly like I used and (along with some luck) worked out well for me:

WyLKtCl.png

I think the meta is in a really great spot right now with a wide variety of compositions and strategies viable. Amazing how different it is from the first couple patches of 4.5 which I really disliked. Counted the comps I played in my last 20 games pictured above and they were:
  • 4x Kayle
  • 3x Brawler
  • 3x Enlightened
  • 3x Fabled
  • 2x Keeper
  • 2x Dragonsoul Slayer
  • 1x Mage
  • 1x Spirit Sharpshooter
  • 1x Bill Gates-ish

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Hey! I started in Set 4 so I think I can help here based on what I remember doing as I was learning. I kind of had a hyperbolic time chamber training though as most of my friends I started with were already Diamond (now we're all Master!) so all my first games were normals with them lol

In general, especially as you get better, you'll be doing it based on the items and units that you're building up. Another way, and what I recommend especially as you're starting is using your Chosen to give you direction. I remember when I was starting out I'd grab the chosen and then use https://app.mobalytics.gg/tft/team-comps to see if there was something that includes the unit or that chosen type. Right now I do something similar where:

• Brawler Chosen = Brawler + Dragonsoul with Shyvana carry
  • Tristana, Yasuo, or Syphoner Nasus = Re-roll those champs to 3* (well, only if I hit enough Yasuo or Nasus by Krugs but I think you should be able to do it regardless at lower Elo)
  • Mage Chosen = Mage Re-Roll
  • Elderwood Chosen I don't go into Elderwood Asol but imo you could go for it and it'll probably work out as you're learning
  • Keeper Chosen = Try out Keeper

Just off the top of my head. I think you won't have tooo much trouble just trying to force these different things as you climb until you're probably high Gold or low Plat. I mostly forced two comps I liked for a while as I learned the game and I think that finding some that you like and seeing the different ways you can go into it are a very good way to learn. For example, use Kayle or Slayers as your aim for Level 8 and learn what early game units can hold items to eventually become Kayle and how to transition using that. Afterwards, it'll help you learn how to do it for other comps.

There's few cases where you want to 3* most champions. If it's your main carry or they're very useful and you have like 5+ of them naturally, you can consider it. If you aren't going to itemize a 3*, it's unlikely you want that Champion 3*'d. In most cases the gold could go to more useful things like upgrading other parts of your board or levelling. I think the main things that are 3*'d are:

• 1 costs that can be the primary carry or you find them quickly (Tristana, Yasuo, Twisted Fate, Brand, Questionably Nasus)
  • 1 costs that you find along the way for your primary carry and because you're throwing a Locket on it which scales with * level (Diana in Spirit Sharpshooter)
  • 2 costs that provide insane utility and are the main tank in the comp that you're just re-rolling in (Annie, Lulu in Mage Re-roll)
  • 2 costs that you found the chosen of or were re-rolling for other units and just hit (Teemo in Spirit Sharpshooter)
  • 3 costs that is your primary carry (Kennan, Sivir, Shyvana, Nunu, Kalista, Katarina, Akali)
  • 4 costs because you high rolled out of your mind and already had like 4, found a chosen, and have a Neeko or something (This is usually close to an autowin if you hit it because of how rare it is)
  • 5 costs because you're the luckiest person on the planet. These are designed to be an autowin unless something goes horribly wrong.

If you're re-rolling to hit 3* of something, you're committing to that composition. If not, you're aiming for something else and you've already committed to not doing that re-roll comp. Usually, pushing levels is the way I like to play unless I have 5+ of a unit I know is good if you 3* to be the main part of the comp.

You would slowroll at:
LV 5 for 1 cost units
LV 7 for 2* units
LV 7 or 8 for 3* units depending on how screwed you are

For the 1 cost units, if I've committed to re-rolling but haven't hit after Wolves while slowrolling, I'll often roll down to 20 gold to try and find it after because it's usually doomed if I don't for something like Yasuo / Nasus. I'm just trying to scrap a Top 6 or maybe Top 4 at that point. A lot of the game is about turning 8ths into 6ths and 6ths into 4ths and whatnot.

Not usually worth griefing until you're at the end game, only a few players are left, and you see they're close to hitting a 3* 4 cost or 5 cost unit. If they're one away from a 4 or 5 cost 3*, definitely hold it.

If you hold it, then yes. Think of each champion as like a card in a deck. Every game of TFT starts with the same deck. As you take cards out of the deck to thin it out, the chances of pulling other stuff increases. I usually buy out the shop down to whatever doesn't cost me interest and then sell the next turn for the following reasons:

* increase chance of something I want in next shop by a little
* if there's a second of an item I bought, then I now have a pair and may be able to upgrade it which is VERY strong early game (and can be more important than a synergy or provide a pivoting opportunity)
* even numbers in gold feel good :3

Items are the hardest thing to learn. After hundreds of games you'll finally start figuring out more of "why" items are good which will make it easier, but uh, think of it as just "damage, damage, defensive" on most carries with defensive being usually one of Quicksilver Sash, Guardian Angel, or if you have to, Trap Claw. You usually want 3 items on your main carry, aura items on something beside your carry, and your frontline should have defensive items that help them soak up longer yes.

I used to have this open as I played to help know what to throw onto champions I wasn't as familiar with. It's what people usually throw on them: https://lolchess.gg/statistics/items

I think positioning is really hard to figure out. I normally would start out with just your damage backlined and your tanks frontlined. Put one unit in front of your carry if you're afraid of assassins. This was a cool beginners guide in the last set: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1c4LHINf6NKpDQ3vyXNX8lRx36eUQfeSP9kk8ZEVX0vA/edit

Positioning is what I'm probably weakest at.

It can be but it's hard and I don't recommend learning this way tbh. I think being strong is best.

Unfortunately not really. I think Normals are fine though. Just don't worry about winning / losing.

Other
I highly recommend giving this tweet thread a read. It helps a lot with giving yourself a "normal" way of playing before you start deviating.

This is also something I read when I was starting out that really helped me think about the game in a better way: https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiv...how_to_properly_playing_flex_mismatchedsocks/

This is really cool, thanks. I always tend to try to 3* as many units as I can, but getting lots of 3* never seemed to correlate with winning, so I guess I need to stop doing that.

Just to check I'm not being really stupid, you can't buy items from the store right? I thought the only way to get them was drops from the enemies or the carousel. But then I also didn't realise you could get another chosen if you sold your first one for most of set 4.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
This is really cool, thanks. I always tend to try to 3* as many units as I can, but getting lots of 3* never seemed to correlate with winning, so I guess I need to stop doing that.

Just to check I'm not being really stupid, you can't buy items from the store right? I thought the only way to get them was drops from the enemies or the carousel. But then I also didn't realise you could get another chosen if you sold your first one for most of set 4.
Yes, sorry I meant "champion" not "item" in that sentence. You can only get items from drops, carousel, and the lucky lantern.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I take back my previous post and assert that I was hinting at the new set where it appears that we can get items from a shop lol

Quick item updates I noticed:
  • Luden's Echo -> Seraph's Embrace which is completely different
  • RFC provides one extra hex instead of double range
  • Zephyr can hit QSS'd units now
  • Redemption provides healing/defenses in an aura effect instead of upon death
  • Titans Resolve stacks faster
  • Frozen Heart has I think better range
  • HoJ adds +40 AD/AP instead of +40% for the damage roll
  • Bloodthirster applies a shield instead of healing
Looks super interesting. I'm wary of there being so many new items to learn as they were by far the hardest thing to learn as a new player. Took me forever to know what stuff built into and what was good for what reasons and why.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea of cursed items. Potentially very cool. And the item shop is going to do a lot to even out builds, I feel.

Also, they have an AS-focused Hellion archetype that's all Yordles and no Little Demon Tristana? wtf.

*Shudders* Teemo's back too, and you're going to have to sacrifice more than gold to recruit him. Teemo's going to cost 6 Little Legend health from the shop, but can be sold for the normal 5 gold.

Oh my god

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently this is out on PBE, might try it later if I can figure out how. Kind of hoping to try the new fast mode in TFT labs but I'm not sure if that's actually in the PBE version?

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Apparently this is out on PBE, might try it later if I can figure out how. Kind of hoping to try the new fast mode in TFT labs but I'm not sure if that's actually in the PBE version?
Yep, Hyper Roll is in PBE as well. I was playing games in both modes last night with some friends. Aphelios Carry was very strong and Hellions feel super busted (though I definitely high rolled that game). My friend and I were contesting each other on Hellions and we + a friend re-rolling Khazix were the only 3 left alive with 60HP minimum lol. I bought 5 Teemos at a total cost of 30 health and took first. PBE is a good time. I would think those get changed pretty soon.

It'll take me a while to get used to no chosens and learn all the new shadow items. I really prefer the look and feel of Fates though which I knew would be an isue before starting. Not into the super dark aesthetic.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
There's an aatrox build that makes me think they are gonna change his ability to not be a percentage of max health at some point. The cursed staff gives 3 times your mana cost to aatrox max health with each cast, and legionaires and invokers both work with his traits. Giving attack speed and mana and additional healing

when it pops off it's pretty nice but needs either verdant or Qss or GA

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

only ended up as 5th because there was someone that could permastun aatrox. Don't quite know how to solve that but I needed something like Deathblade on the Aatrox to make him not just survive everything but also kill the enemy team.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Ugh I feel like they patch too much on pbe lots of fun comps are now quite useless
They only have two weeks to get things to a state they can go live with so frequent mass changes are pretty necessary for the first week especially. They don't patch over weekends so whatever's broken today will stick for two days to play with! Though usually those are only fun if you're playing with it before other people start spamming it too...

Understandably finding it super hard to know if I'm strong in the mid game because I don't know what anything is or does. Draconic + Ranger + Brawler feels like a really strong 5 unit early/mid synergy that can lead into Aphelios carry and make a ton of money though. Forgotten added at 6. Vayne carries items for Aphelios.

Karma with Blue Buff + Hextech + Damage Item is awesome lol. I did Dawnbringer 6 but I feel like I should bring that down to 4 or even 2 and see what else I can fit in there.

Mordekaiser (and maybe Jax?) seems to be like a new Riven which is cool but I haven't tried them too much yet.

Playing Hellions and going down to 5 or less health right before you find Teemo feels bad 😢

Abomination feels ridiculous for Stage 2.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah abomination just dominates stage 2, with good itemas it lasts you even longer.

Karma is indeed reeeaaally fun.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Hyper roll mode is fun, I have no idea what I'm doing but at least I can lose quickly. It seems you don't get pass points for it though, unless the pass in PBE doesn't actually do anything?

In fates I won with a Fabled Vanguard comp that was fun. Just trying out comps to get the fates pass quests I didn't do yet

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
I never really found a comp I loved in the second half of Fates, especially compared to the first half. In the first half of Fates I generally stuck with one of three builds. My favorite build was 6 Sharpshooter with a Thresh/Hecarim frontline. The other two builds I generally went for were 9 Warlord with either a Warlord Jinx or Sett and 9 Mage with a Mage Thresh. My favorite 9 Mage games were whenever I could get both Thresh and Annie to 3 star which made my frontline unkillable. My very last game of the first half of Fates was also my favorite game of Fates. It was a 6 Fortune game where I got every Fortune unit to 3 star except for Tahm Kench. That same game I got Jhin to 3 star which was the only time I got two 4 costs to 3 stars in the same game.

With the second half of Fates I never found a build I loved as much as those 3. I could never find a Samira when I tried to go 6 Sharpshooter. I didn't do as well with Warlord as I did in the first half (including not winning the one game I got a 3 star Trynamere). Mage I liked, just not as much as the first half. My favorite build in the second half of Fates was probably Enlightened/Syphoner with Morgana as my main carry. My most memorable game was a normal with friends. I decided to never push level at all and just keep rolling. I was going Spirit and somehow got a 3 star Kindred at level 5 before I got a 3 star Diana.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
I could never stop forcing Elderwood in 4.5

Loved set 4 overall the most I liked a set since the first one. The chosen mechanic was fantastic the meta relatively stable for most of it, not constantly completely changing and there was very little straight bullshit. Like mana printer in set 3.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I only started in October so I have nothing before Set 4 to compare to, but I'm sure I'm going to miss Chosen. I liked Set 4.0 more than 4.5 and I think part of it may be that I played just a little less of it. I have a lot of different compositions I really liked. My friend taught me how to play using Brawlers + Ashe carry which quickly fell off but was a very simple composition to learn and be decent with. I did a large amount of my early climbing using Ninja Assassins and Ahri. I still have a soft spot for the Ahri comp. Later I would use Enlightened until they nerfed Talon into the ground. Near the end when it all felt fairly balanced it was either Dusk with Riven + Jhin or Kayn, Elderwood with Veigar and Ashe, or Fortune Warlords into Legendary board. I would almost always force Yasuo, Nami, Diana, or Aphelios re-roll if I hit those though as it was a relaxing break.

I hated the beginning of Set 4.5 where it felt like re-roll was the only way to play and it turned it from a relaxing break from usual into a constant boring autopilot. Even Elderwood ASol felt like autopilot. Eventually though, I'd say it got to a pretty balanced state after they made the massive changes. Kayle was my absolute go-to comp for almost the entirety of the set and the one I felt the most comfortable with all the different variations of depending on chosens/lobby. I never really hit max comfort level with Keepers or Mages but I enjoyed them. Brawler and Dragonsoul was something I found myself going into a lot for a time with Shyvana, Nunu, or ASol carry (Nunu has to be the most fun champion to watch go off in the entire game and I'm happy he's back but very sad they both nerfed him and made him hideous). I like that they finally made Fabled solid again at the end. I never learned to use Slayers correctly which hurt a lot but Enlightened Syphoner became pretty usable and kind of my "oh no I have mostly tank and/or AD items" comp. I soured a lot on Duelist near the end but Spirit Sharpshooters kept the re-roll dream alive.

I notice there's a lot of splashable traits in 5.0 so I'm looking forward to people figuring out cool combinations of boards. That mix and match puzzle is one of my favourite parts of TFT. I find vertical synergies to be kind of boring.

Favourite Set 4 Comps
  1. Dusk
  2. Ahri
  3. Bill Gates
Notable Mentions: Moonlight, Nami

Favourite Set 4.5 Comps
  1. Kayle
  2. Enlightened Syphoner
  3. Brawler
Notable Mentions: Dragonsoul

Last edited:

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017

already changed Aatrox to not heal percentage health as expected, makes me a bit sad because that build was hilarious

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Played 4 games so far mainly just trying to do missions. Got a 3 star Vel'koz in my first game but got second because of how his targeting works atm. When he procs someone's Guardian Angel, instead of changing targets he sticks there while they're rezzing.