• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Got my first 1st in the new half! Granted, I did it with Elderwood/ASol so it sorta felt like cheating, but still. Wish I could've gotten a plat and gone for 9-elderwood but ended up doing 6 (w/ a Chosen), 3 Dragonsoul, 3 Mage, 3 Brawler. Totally screwed up my Shyvana items so that made me sweat a little (accidentally slapped something on her I didn't mean to) but ultimately the synergies are just so strong by themselves that it doesn't matter much.

Although getting that round 3 Nunu Veigar drop certainly didn't hurt. There was somebody else going Elderwood, even had the exact same Chosen, but their secondary was Executioner to tie in with Xayah, who I skipped in favor of Shyv and eventually Swain.

E: And ANOTHER ONE! Spirit Assassins w/ Diana. A 1-star probably shouldn't be that good at carrying, especially if they're also a great Chosen.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Houston
They need to make Yasou's spell animation way longer so he doesn't get so many off like Fiona and others or just don't make him Choosen for the first 7 rounds or something

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Yas and Diana need a fucking hard nerf. I don't know what but SOMETHING needs to be done. It's legit in every game. Nid / Yas / Diana. Easy cruise to top 4.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The annoying thing about Yas is that on paper he's a fine 1-star. I think his numbers are just overtuned or something.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Had brawler working against duelist but they got khalista with hurricane bow late and just destroyed me and this other person also going brawler. Couldn't reach em to kill the khalista. Had 3 star shiv and Vi with double bow item. Vi with IE, shiv with magic burn

Frozen Heart continues to be useless against duelist

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I have to get better at doing is figuring out what units to get while I'm waiting on final units. Sometimes it's easy and obvious (final unit X has Y traits, unit B has almost all the same traits, get that and wait) but sometimes it's weird.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Finally tried a Nidalee carry game. Went better than expected. Never had a game where I got ridiculous Econ early (three 2 cost units 1-1, 6 gold 1-2 and 5-6 gold 1-3). Rushed to 50 Econ and then rolled at level 5 to get my Garen and Chosen Warlord Nidalee gold before rushing to 8. Couldn't get the exact items I wanted for her but I got two Jeweled Gauntlets and a Sho'jin's on her which worked really well. Starting to agree that a decent number of 1 costs need to be toned down. I've seen Yasuo, Diana, Nasus and now Nidalee hard carry teams to wins. Other one costs like Tahm Kench, Fiora and Garen can also be obnoxious to go against to if itemized well, even though I loved my 6 Assassin Garen build I did a couple nights ago.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Diana needs a hard nerf. I think her chosen 3 star form with perfect comp and items is way stronger than Yasuo.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like very time I look at trying Olaf I get my teeth kicked in so fingers crossed!

(Either I don't get the items and the comp does nothing or I don't get the Olaf and the comp does nothing or I get them both but way too late and I have one bad round and explode)

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I feel like very time I look at trying Olaf I get my teeth kicked in so fingers crossed!

(Either I don't get the items and the comp does nothing or I don't get the Olaf and the comp does nothing or I get them both but way too late and I have one bad round and explode)
lol these are my olaf games in a nutshell
Diana needs a hard nerf. I think her chosen 3 star form with perfect comp and items is way stronger than Yasuo.
I disagree here. Aside from being weaker as you get to her, I feel like she caps out lower than Yasuo can, is less flexible than Yasuo, and overall less consistent. Yasuo is a solid Top 4 even without hitting Yone. Hitting Yone is a big power spike as is Lee Sin whereas Diana never gets stronger again after hitting 3* Diana =/

My go-to Yasuo build if I can reach 9 is:

Yasuo, Yone, Jax, Lee Sin, Fiora, Kalista or Tryndamere, Shen, Irelia, Zilean

* Replace a Duelist with Kayle if Duelist Spat for 4 Divine, 6 Duelist Kayle which is insane
* Divine Spat Yasuo if you have that instead of Duelist Spat and there's room on him for 4 Divine, 6 Duelist Yasuo which is strong
* HoJ is usually the first item I'd throw on Yasuo but he's pretty flexible
* If I 3* Jax or Fiora while Ilook for Yasuo, sure, otherwise don't (hold the Jax if I have 6+ since I'll probably find it later when rolling for Yone/Lee Sin)

The Spirit 4 nerf will nerf Diana a bit too now.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I got a first place with Dragonsoul!

Tho I did get a splat, and it was one of those Everybody Gets A FoN games, so it's a bit weird.

But hey, Sivir is actually really good in this core. Gives Trist the Sharpshooter bonus, and her spell is great for Dragonsoul. Went down to 35 hp and then totally stopped losing at 6 Dragonsoul.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Ok, I swear more than just the chosen odds changed. Rolled 60+ gold and didn't find a single Kayle at 8. I was going into it almost perfectly and just end up 5th as I bled out because I couldn't hit even one, let alone enough to 2 star. I 2 starred a Lee Sin but couldn't find Kayle gahhhhh

mSB8VXi.png

I'm so frustrated. I should've taken that Ornn out for that last fight after the item was finished but I was just too tilted and I don't think anything I could do at that point would've helped ugh. I'm kind of annoyed by how specific the builds feel at the moment. In the last set, I could swap between Ashe / Jhin fairly easily depending on what I hit or I could go an Ahri build or throw in Kayne or Yone with AP items to be a carry behind a Dusk or Mystic Adept frontline. Ugh. Just needed to vent. I was on a really good streak of games and this would've got me back into D1 :( Felt like I was going to get the Top 3 until I just bottomed out without finding any Kayle. There was literally only one other player with Kayle who died before I did and only had it at 1*.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they try to rebalance 1 and 2 costs at some point. Almost all the good 2 costs to get gold are defensive besides like Teemo who also has defensive utility. It's so much more valuable to get a Nidalee, Yasuo or Diana gold than a Vi, Jax or Pyke.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I hope they try to rebalance 1 and 2 costs at some point. Almost all the good 2 costs to get gold are defensive besides like Teemo who also has defensive utility. It's so much more valuable to get a Nidalee, Yasuo or Diana gold than a Vi, Jax or Pyke.
Teemo is so weak in the face of duelist or assassin's you get maybe 1 shot off and die unless you got some placement or good tanks

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Is that really an issue though? I think two stars with the Chosen mechanic being really powerful to 3* would feel really rough given how much it would rely on someone hitting it at 2-1 or 2-2 by pre-levelling to 4 and getting lucky on it. Zed already feels oppressive to play against when they hit like that. With the 1 costs you're at least much more likely to hit and decide on your path earlier and it takes them longer to become super strong rather than being immediately strong from the moment you pick it up.

A 2 cost chosen is already such a strong opener for trying to get to the late game strong. An early Janna chosen is like a guaranteed 7+ game win streak. Teemo remains one of the best early game carries and a free 2 star version via Chosen is amazing. Jax and Pyke are worth 3 starring if you're rolling for something else and hitting them along the way because their utility is so strong with CC. I think concentrating on carries at other levels with 2 cost utility can work really well.

I think they'd need to wait until the next set before they change that due to Chosens.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
6 divine can't beat shit late game unless you get a Lee with items. The damage reduction doesn't help enough when 4 sharpshooter with 2 middling tanks can beat it easily

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
3* Dragonsoul Annie is pretty nuts. High rolled out of my mind and won the game with 50 gold left.
Lee with perfect items and 2 starred though is so dangerous he can decide whole fights alone.

I really miss set 2 and 1.
That feeling when your comp is dead to lee sin but someone else takes the player out.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Just had a 9-dragonsoul win with the spat on an Ornn lol. Only 3-starred Trist and Brand but it legit doesn't matter, just too strongk.

(Tho getting Olaf with Deathblade, RFC, and Hand of Justice probably didn't hurt)

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
After dropping down to Plat 3, I worked my way back up to diamond forcing Brawlers. I don't care what people say are "BiS" items for shyvana, from my experience, bramble vest is the star of the show since it negates all of the crits from Nidd/Yas/Diana reroll comps since they all build crit.

I was over here open forting just to make sure I got two chain vests lol.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I played more than I should've this weekend.

Screen_Shot_2021-02-08_at_12.30.49_AM.png

I feel so frustrated. Like, it's clear I'm not doing something right because those are some pretty consistent bottom 2s but I can't figure out what it is. It feels like I either hit one of the top re-roll chosens early and snowball from there or otherwise I'm trying my best to stay healthy by playing my strongest board to try and get to a late game comp, but I can't do that very well because at Stage 4, everyone has hit their re-roll comps and I lose like 50 HP. When I try roll down at Level 7 to try and get a power spike, I usually don't hit something useful and/or I get too far behind the levelling curve and then get destroyed by both the re-rollers and the ones who were able to Fast 8 and transition into a 4 Cost Carry board. Even when I do get a great game going into Level 8, sometimes I just don't hit and none of the other carry options feel viable because of how item-specific everything feels right now.

I don't know if it's nostalgia but I miss Set 4.0 a lot =( I felt like I could pick up 90% of the Chosens and feel good about it because it felt so much more flexible to swap between them on your path depending on what popped up with regards to units / items. At Level 8 you didn't feel absolutely screwed if you didn't hit the "perfect" carries because Ashe / Talon / Jhin could all use decently similar items, Riven could use tank items as your bailout for if you didn't get any offensive items (Morgana feels a bit like that now at least), Ahri and Riven could use AP items as could any Kayn or Yone you hit, and the traits felt a bit more splashable so you didn't feel so locked in and could instead mix and match more.

/rant

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
finally got the promo to plat, nidalee chosen of course. Couldn't find a critglove so had to give her an assassin spat then got another assassin spat, which I gave to a 3* Vi and added talon for 4 assassins 6 warlord. Had to step away from the game after that for a bit but was high rolling so hard I came back to 100+ gold and very healthy.
Thankfully my opponent wasn't scouting because I kept losing in the endgame when my nidalee would jump into their Yasuo and I mirrored my team and won the last fight as a result.

Warlord or Nidalee chosen is a tad too strong only balanced by everyone forcing it.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Congrats! Getting to the next rank feels good :)

This next patch is looking massive. If like PBE, you'll see a chosen in every shop if you don't already own one. Everything else is getting touched too. Going to be like a brand new game.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of surprised to not see Duelist on the nerf list. The two biggest Duelist spatula carries are getting nerfed at least. Happy they're dealing with all the problematic 1 costs including Fiora who I've started to hate going against. The buff list I find a little more questionable. Happy to see every Fabled getting buffed as I like the build (and Neeko is low key a really good carry). Don't really agree with Olaf getting a buff. He kind of fell off as a carry because he needs specific items whereas you can build anything on Shyvana and do well, but I think he's still good. Don't really agree with a quicksilver buff either. I don't want another meta where you need multiple quicksilvers or you just lose. They thankfully toned down the amount of CC this set compared to the last one.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Apparently the QSS "buff" is just fixing it so it properly blocks against AD debuffs which it currently does not.

My opponent had a big Brawler 8, Mage 3, Dragonsoul 3 board I was taking down from 40 hp in a 1v1 by deciding to go for Morg 3 with Giant Slayer and Morellos, left them with 1 HP remaining... and then they hit made their hail mary play by selling a lot of the board and hit this monstrosity :(

UphCD7r.png

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Good to know that if all else fails, you can still brute force 8 brawlers and make a comeback from 13 health.

Tho the guy in first place deciding to sell his entire board to try to 3-star Lee Sin didn't hurt.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Tried playing again and man this set suuuuuucks so bad. I really hope the next one is better, though honestly unless they're going to make an entire new set of items I dont have much faith.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Tried playing again and man this set suuuuuucks so bad. I really hope the next one is better, though honestly unless they're going to make an entire new set of items I dont have much faith.
What do you think the items have to do with it? Typically, most of the big changes have been centered around the champions - those obviously being what rotated out with each set.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
What do you think the items have to do with it? Typically, most of the big changes have been centered around the champions - those obviously being what rotated out with each set.

Well, to put it bluntly, the array of items just suck right now. Everyone builds the same stuff. Almost all the worthwhile carries build the same stuff. There's just no diversity. Even if they just purged RFC from the game right now it'd be better off for it.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Well, to put it bluntly, the array of items just suck right now. Everyone builds the same stuff. Almost all the worthwhile carries build the same stuff. There's just no diversity. Even if they just purged RFC from the game right now it'd be better off for it.
Mmm

I will say, I have noticed that recurve bow derivatives have sorta taken over the game. The AA characters strongly prefer them to more attack damage, and most of the spellcasting characters don't get nearly as much value out of their items. Only exception is the jeweled gauntlet and quicksilver cloak.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Mmm

I will say, I have noticed that recurve bow derivatives have sorta taken over the game. The AA characters strongly prefer them to more attack damage, and most of the spellcasting characters don't get nearly as much value out of their items. Only exception is the jeweled gauntlet and quicksilver cloak.

I think build diversity overall is just lacking a lot. There are so many items that are just bad and have been bad for a while. Stuff like Shojins and Deathcap got changed and now you never see them. It seems like frontlines almost only every build Sunfire because what else is even worthwhile?

I guess I'd just like to see them experiment with changing items more, whether it be during the set itself for at the start of a new one.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think build diversity overall is just lacking a lot. There are so many items that are just bad and have been bad for a while. Stuff like Shojins and Deathcap got changed and now you never see them. It seems like frontlines almost only every build Sunfire because what else is even worthwhile?

I guess I'd just like to see them experiment with changing items more, whether it be during the set itself for at the start of a new one.
Sunfire I think is strong partly because it works best against the aa heavy lines, and also because it's free stat-independent damage. Sort of a consequence of the Champs that're strong.

Agreed on the other items also being fairly heavily nerfed. But Nidalee at least does build Shojin.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC

You see Sunfire a lot because it's so strong early in every composition and because there's a lot of healing right now via Syphoners, Hextech, 50% of the time with HoJ (which is another item slammed very often due to its flexibility), etc. But I think saying that's all frontlines build is just incorrect? I see a lot of Dragon Claw (great against Mage builds and Kayle), Bramble (super useful due to Executioner, most AP carries running Jewelled Gauntlet, and just against AD from Slayers), and now with the buffs Gargoyle's is great especially for solo frontliners like Annie, Shen, and Braum. You don't usually want to build more than one Sunfire and even when you do, you're doing it because it saves you like 20+ HP during the game if you build it in Stage 2. If you're in Stage 4 it's unlikely you're slamming that anymore.

Shojin's you'd build on Nidalee in the last patch and is a decent item to make if that's what you're left with in Enlightened or Sharpshooters because of how it interacts with those abilities. Deathcap is solid if you need to make it because everything scales off AP. Jewelled Gauntlet is better for straight offense, but a Deathcap can be strong even on someone like Yuumi and is still strong and consistent on champions like Aurelion Sol.

I think overreliance on bows really stinks right now and I hope they do something to have fewer carries wanting like 3 bows or 3 swords -.- Runaan's and RFC are just so key to so many champions.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, Ruunan's is just such a huge damage buff, between the AS and the extra attack, and RFC adds consistency, range, and, again, a bunch of AS. They synergize well with each other too. Kalista with both of those and a Guinsoos will shred most teams, almost comp independent. .

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
DCap is a common flex item across a number of casters and even auto heavy characters like Kayle and can be used on stuff like Kalista. Shojin should inherently be niche if blue buff is balanced properly. The only truly bad item that comes to mind is BT, and it's not that it isn't useful, it just feels like a poor defensive option compared to other things in almost all cases.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The issue is I think more about opportunity costs. Sure, you could put a Zephyr on somebody, if that's all that you can make, and it's better than having them on the bench... but if you could turn that belt into a Sunfire Cape and the cloak into a Runaan's that's almost always better.