• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Duelist Spat on Kayle if you're playing Duelists and especially if you get RFC has to be one of the most broken things I've been able to do in this game. Kayle in general is probably a little overtuned lol. Though I'm like 1 for 5 on getting bow at starting carousel :(

Went 6th / 2nd / 4th / 4th / 2nd in placements to wind up D3. I'm really salty about one of the 4ths. My computer slowed down ridiculously just as I hit the Veigar I needed to Neeko's to 3 star. Missed 2 fights as I restarted the client and if I saved even one health in them with a 3 star Veigar it'd have been a 3rd minimum, likely 2nd.

Does anyone else play on a Mac and find that the fan just goes off sometimes and the game starts feeling like you're at 100% CPU usage? It fixes it if I restart the client but it ruins games for me x.x

New patch
Didn't think Elder/mage would work but it did after some struggle and some item usage
Lost to hard MR with Vanguard now having MR and then they went Mystic and had enough damage to just straight win with 3 star Naught and Janna

Spirit is next to useless with the other changes
I disagree. Not being tied to mana cost is way simpler, doesn't break mana-based chosens, and I'm finding the current version is still strong and splashable. Yuumi + Kindred is very useful in Executioner comps. 2 of Yuumi or Kindred + Teemo is strong early and mid game if you're starting with Sharpshooters. I've thrown in even Diana for spirit early on if I'm playing Warlords (Teemo + Nidalee and Katarina + Diana). If you wanna commit, 4 Spirit is also used for the Spirit Zed and Diana re-roll comps. I didn't play back at the beginning of Set 4 though when Ahri was used just for Spirit so I'm comparing to mid/late 4.0 Spirit.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe Rakan is going to stay like this for the time being. He's better than both shen and irelia combined.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I lost 250 LP yesterday to drop to D4 0LP =[ Full tilt. Even got 5th in a game where I hit 3* Talon. I need to change how I'm playing and zero in on some comps I think. I'm just finding it too difficult to transition at LV8. Re-roll stuff seems super strong right now.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Rakan and Xayah are the two biggest nerfs that need to happen. I know some people hate Asol more than them but I don't think he'd be as bad without Rakan infinitely stalling frontlines. I do think two star 4 costs are overtuned in general between these two, Olaf and Kayle.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
+125 LP in four games by just spamming Elderwood + ASol if no immediate re-roll chosen. I got 4th in a game I had Elderwood Spat + items ready to go for ASol but never hit :( Poor 2* TF was trying to carry in Stage 5 lol

Rakan and Diana are getting nerfed this week in a B Patch. Sunfire + RFC Rakan is just ridiculous.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Hyper rolling is back full force. I don't see anyone in top there that doesn't get a choosen then not immediately roll to get three star 1 cost as fast as possible

And i'm just sitting here trying to see how often I can get dragon born to work

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Hyper rolling is back full force. I don't see anyone in top there that doesn't get a choosen then not immediately roll to get three star 1 cost as fast as possible

And i'm just sitting here trying to see how often I can get dragon born to work
Dragonsoul feels awful except at high counts maybe and then you're probably weak leading into it. I think it requires spats to be useful and there are better spat comps (Duelist Kayle, Elderwood ASol, Mage stuff).

For Dragonsoul units, Aurelion Sol doesn't really need it, Braum and Brand feel like bad units used as synergy bots sometimes, and Tristana feels worthless unless 3 starred and even then not very good. Shyvana and Olaf can be decent with it I guess and Swain but he's a 5 cost.

I do quite like Shyvana and sometimes throw Dragonsoul in early if I have sharpshooters behind a large brawler frontline (with a chosen brawler) and throw in a braum to activate the trait. With Rageblade she can dish out a lotta damage but she seems to do fine without and other traits/units feel better to add instead (ie. Yuumi + Janna for Mystic along with healing, speed buffs, attack damage, and shields).

I hope they buff it because it looks cool as hell when it's going off.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Dragonsoul feels awful except at high counts maybe and then you're probably weak leading into it. I think it requires spats to be useful and there are better spat comps (Duelist Kayle, Elderwood ASol, Mage stuff).

For Dragonsoul units, Aurelion Sol doesn't really need it, Braum and Brand feel like bad units used as synergy bots sometimes, and Tristana feels worthless unless 3 starred and even then not very good. Shyvana and Olaf can be decent with it I guess and Swain but he's a 5 cost.

I do quite like Shyvana and sometimes throw Dragonsoul in early if I have sharpshooters behind a large brawler frontline (with a chosen brawler) and throw in a braum to activate the trait. With Rageblade she can dish out a lotta damage but she seems to do fine without and other traits/units feel better to add instead (ie. Yuumi + Janna for Mystic along with healing, speed buffs, attack damage, and shields).

I hope they buff it because it looks cool as hell when it's going off.
What I'm finding with dragon is you are wasting spots to not lose heavy hp and just hoping for chose or a spatula while doing a different build. And just hard abandon if by 2nd monster item round

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
I always try to go in a different direction but then I roll a rakan or veigar chosen and I'm back in Elderwood. Even post nerf I've gone 3rd 1st 2nd 1st in a row with elderwood.
My last game was kind of ridiculous since I beat a ninja assassins that 3*ed all but shen but stayed at 7 while I went to lvl 9 with 9 elderwood 3 star rakan and Asol with a an elderwood spat. Only positioning won me that game after losing 4 in a row tho.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I always try to go in a different direction but then I roll a rakan or veigar chosen and I'm back in Elderwood. Even post nerf I've gone 3rd 1st 2nd 1st in a row with elderwood.
My last game was kind of ridiculous since I beat a ninja assassins that 3*ed all but shen but stayed at 7 while I went to lvl 9 with 9 elderwood 3 star rakan and Asol with a an elderwood spat. Only positioning won me that game after losing 4 in a row tho.
I've been going in for Kayle or Elderwood based on what kind of units / items I hit. I hit one stupid ridiculous high roll game today where I got spat off carousel for Elderwood Spat and then got two spats at Wolves for FON with an Aurelion Sol + Lulu + Nunu in shop at Krugs. I had a chosen Yasuo and sold to pivot (had no Yasuo items and 0 extra Yasuo with another in lobby so I was pretty shaky on staying as is). I won the lobby with 55hp lol.

I think Elderwood Mage is still super strong and Rakan is still great. It's just not a comp that can almost definitely top 4 with 4 people playing it anymore is all which is fine.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Man just had the battle of placements of all placements. Me vs 2 7 cultist. Lost in 2nd place when I couldn't find 1 samira for 2 star and 1 more sivir for 3. And that 9 cultist slam just fucked me up. Samira if she gets that cast off just did stupid damage with IE, rage blade and the double BF item but I couldn't stop the Aatrox pull without putting it too close to all that damage when it jumps around

Screenshot-20210128-040810.png

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
I've been going in for Kayle or Elderwood based on what kind of units / items I hit. I hit one stupid ridiculous high roll game today where I got spat off carousel for Elderwood Spat and then got two spats at Wolves for FON with an Aurelion Sol + Lulu + Nunu in shop at Krugs. I had a chosen Yasuo and sold to pivot (had no Yasuo items and 0 extra Yasuo with another in lobby so I was pretty shaky on staying as is). I won the lobby with 55hp lol.

I think Elderwood Mage is still super strong and Rakan is still great. It's just not a comp that can almost definitely top 4 with 4 people playing it anymore is all which is fine.
I never have the items for Kayle with elderwood at which point I prefer Kindred for being just a tad more survivable for the executioner trait.

And yeah Elderwood is still good and fewer people are forcing it. I wish they removed orn from the wheel though because getting that at 7 is unfair.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wait what are the now successful hyperroll comps? I miss the set 2 hyperroll comps with renekton

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Just went up against a 3 star 9 Elderwood Rakan with a Warmog's and the healing item from Ornn. Literally impossible to kill with Warlord.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Ran into right items Olaf plus 4 spirit build that just demolished from the backline and another person doing a full turtle sharpshooter. Wall of 3 star defenders

Fortune 6 not shitting out items as it use to. More goal more rolls I guess

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Houston
With fuck. Yasou with the anti CC item was never slowerd by frozen heart. That's attack speed reduction why is it preventing it like it's CC?

They went full (8) duelist and won with 94 HP. I ran 4 syphon 4 slayer and a rakan

Came in 3rd because a 8 Mage build barely out survived me against the duelist

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Dragonsoul getting a lot of love next patch with buffs to Tristana, Brand and Dragonsoul itself. Curious how they buff Slayer. It just feels awful to play unless you get 3+ bows.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good god I hate elderwood comps so much. Rakan and Nunu 3starred and both have warmogs and the healing item from ornn... This is unkillable

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Highrolled outta my mind. This was before rolling a single time. Elderwood 9 with an extra Elderwood spat so I don't need to play Maokai later and 8 Lulus, 2 Asols.

bzJko0a.png

Still took me until 10 Gold to find the 3rd ASol and I got 2nd because the 1st place finisher hit Kayle 3 and picked up Shroud off carousel though :( rip

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Every fucking game has a top 4 consisting of either

Yasuo
Zed
Nid
Diana

shit is stupid. Really starting to hate chosen. The shit is just a free top 4. You can't contest if you see it happen because why would you just sabotage yourself with knowing someone else is going for the comp. You can't punish them for slow rolling since the chosen are already 2 star killing machines during the mid game. Can't save econ and punish them with a better 4 cost carry team because YOU AIN'T FINDING THAT SHIT since there are so many random 4 costs in the pool.

You know why?

Because half the room every game is building around fucking 1 costs. It's so goddamn stupid.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I haven't seen a diana carry since other set. Zed a handful of times but Yasou is hella consistent. Might just try and force Vanguard one time if I see it happen

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I love the Chosen mechanic but there are definitely too many 1 cost re-roll comps right now. I think a large part of it is that the game isn't rewarding enough if you're playing flexibly. I'm finding the late game comps are significantly weaker without BiS items unlike last set and so it's really risky to transition. I just had a game where I had perfect Aurelion Sol board yet couldn't find a single ASol on my Level 8 rolldown at 5-1 and the items don't work for literally any other carry in the game. Whereas if I had just gone with a 1 cost carry re-roll, I'd be weak for a while and then be insanely strong and could Top 4. I don't find constant 1 cost re-roll to be fun though =(

I think after the nerf Diana has been super volatile. If I don't have 5 Diana but Krugs I don't think I'm gonna go for it off just a chosen anymore x.x I've bottom 4'd a few times with it but also got 1st. I'm having trouble with Zed because it's insanely hard to get his items with how contested bow is.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
I saw an Olaf last night that looked completely broken, I thought the person was cheating at first it looked so weird. Like just instantly firing off their ability over and over without properly animating.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I tried making Olaf work when I got an early one but failed. I should try again sometime. This is a great guide that would help: https://giantslayer.tv/blogs/6764726015/gunmay-olaf-and-friends-indepth-guide-patch-112b/

The Vanguards are supposed to be really helpful for getting Olaf going and not overwhelmed which I think is what people miss. If you look at lolchess you'll be able to see if they had an item that makes sense for why that was happening (ie. rageblade or duelist spat getting him at a high enough attack speed?)

I had a Brawler game yesterday and I love it lol. It's so stupid. It shouldn't work this well but I guess that's what the AD addition was for. I really like Shyvanna. Solid item carrier for Kayle or stick with if I hit Brawler chosen and 3 star at 8.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
I only needed to top 4 to promote to plat but have only been losing since.
Got a 2nd place to not denote at least.

Had a Yahoo chosen but accidentally leveled to 6 to keep a win streak going ended with a nice Duelist slayer comp but couldn't beat the 9 elderwood player

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I felt dirty got two 2 star Yasou super early and was just destroying obviously. Then ran into a wall of someone getting a 3 star Yone who survived with 6hp and while trying to deal with that someone else had a 7 dragon soul Olaf carry build that melted us both

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I only needed to top 4 to promote to plat but have only been losing since.
Got a 2nd place to not denote at least.

Had a Yahoo chosen but accidentally leveled to 6 to keep a win streak going ended with a nice Duelist slayer comp but couldn't beat the 9 elderwood player
Yeah, I just lost 100 LP in three games and it feels awful. Back to D3. Ugh.

Though I was watched a friend's game where he went up against a 3* Tristana with Sharpshooter Chosen and Dragonsoul active at 2-3 in his "lose 100 LP in 4 games" run so it could be worse.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I felt dirty got two 2 star Yasou super early and was just destroying obviously. Then ran into a wall of someone getting a 3 star Yone who survived with 6hp and while trying to deal with that someone else had a 7 dragon soul Olaf carry build that melted us both
3 star Yone? Wtf.

I actually have no fun in the current meta anymore I need a reset or a heavy patch, elderwood is too strong imo. And too many roll comps.

The bow also feels like the most important item. Nothing compares atm.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
3 star Yone? Wtf.

I actually have no fun in the current meta anymore I need a reset or a heavy patch, elderwood is too strong imo. And too many roll comps.

The bow also feels like the most important item. Nothing compares atm.
Yep I was looking for a Yone rolling a lot and they went from one 2 star Yone to 3 star Yone. I'm going to blame the item that forces shop of types and they used it on Yasou but I didn't look at their board between rounds

See"s 3 people go duelist by round 6. Pivot to vanguard with Fable choosen Naut. 4 vanguard stands no chance against 4 vanguard at all. Don't do enough damage to get through their low how's even