• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Goddamn algorithm keeps giving me Duelist chosen and multiple Duelists per roll and I tear things up and then fall over dead in 3rd place, over and over.

I've tried Spirits/Duelists but Duelists just require too many slots.

I'm actually really interested to experiment with Spirit more after the game I had. It was just so crazy to see Ahri delete half the team then Zed just become a monster immediately after. Kalista and Warwick come to mind as carries that could benefit a lot from the Spirit trait even if you don't run a bunch of Duelists or Hunters. You could do it with Chosen Wukong too probably.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually really interested to experiment with Spirit more after the game I had. It was just so crazy to see Ahri delete half the team then Zed just become a monster immediately after. Kalista and Warwick come to mind as carries that could benefit a lot from the Spirit trait even if you don't run a bunch of Duelists or Hunters. You could do it with Chosen Wukong too probably.
Kalista feels like she might be bugged or a trap pick rn. Just seems to require a truly ludicrous number of attacks for her ability to fire.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Fuck I hate cultist I had a beast Talon, 4 enlighten, 4 mystic, and 3 adept with Yone with mage hat for double cast

But man full enlighten Talon is good with life steal and the reduced armor on crit. I had it finished with a blue buff on top of the increase Mana on hit so was just chaining cast. Getting 100% Mana regen from enlighten isn't great as you have very little defense or can do enough damage late stages

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Kalista feels like she might be bugged or a trap pick rn. Just seems to require a truly ludicrous number of attacks for her ability to fire.

I think it may just be down to the magic resist since the % health is counted as magic damage. I actually think Kalista is absurd if you can protect her and get a Rageblade/Runaan's on her. I've had a few wins with her as my carry already, though right now there's a lot of Assassin and Shade comps so it's obviously a bit harder.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
seriously fuck Cultist. it's a cancer to my enjoyment of the game. Galio should not do damage or something. can't be giving a automatic trigger high hp, taunt monster.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
yep when i make a fun build and it's working and everyone else is just trying things SOMEONE just has to switch to cultist and ruin it all then made someone else switch to assasins and just mass hp falling

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
The build I've done the most consistent with is Warlord. 6 Warlord is pretty easy to get and it has a good mix of tanks and damage dealers (specifically Katarina). Never actually gone 9 Warlord because I rarely get Spatulas. My favorite build I've done was going 6 Dusk and 3 Moonlight, putting a Dusk item on Sylas. His damage output was obscene.

Nerfs I'm expecting to happen in the next patch or two:

Ahri (less damage)
Veigar (higher mana cost because Veigar with blue buff is dumb)
Warwick (actually my most hated carry to go against because they all have the double bow and a bloodthirster)
Tahm Kench (personally love him but 3 star with a Rabadon's is hilarious and broken)
Katarina (3 star and maybe 2 star version)
9 Cultist (personally think 6 cultist is underwhelming but 9 cultist is ridiculous and not the hardest thing to get)

Not sure what exactly I would buff but I have never done well with Divine.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
In terms of nerfs, here's where I'm leaning.

ORIGINS
Cultist - 3 Cultist is a little too strong. If you get an early Chosen Cultist you can clean up the early game. I'm iffy on nerfing 9 though, you need Chosen and a few high cost units to get there. It should still be rewarding.
Elderwood - Almost feel like it's a certainty to get hit I think, although there's a chance that they nerf individual units like Nunu and Ashe instead.
Spirit - It's being seen quite a bit right now. Guessing 4 Spirit will get toned down.

CLASSES
Brawler - They might tweak down the 6/8 Brawler bonuses. It's a little nuts right now, although there are other contributing factors like Elderwood and Sett.
Shade - May or may not get touched. The fact that Zed and Evelynn are both so individually strong contributes to Shade feeling a tad overtuned.

CHAMPS
Ahri - Probably going to get nerfed, though personally I think Guardian Angel is the problem but I think they'll be reluctant to change that.
Ashe - Pretty busted right now. She got over buffed and I'm pretty confident they'll bring her back down.
Nunu - Wouldn't be surprised if his ability gets nerfed, even on top of an Elderwood nerf. The damage increase is just crazy.
Riven - Not sure there's any doubt she's getting nerfed. Probably the best carry in the game right now with the right items/synergy.
Sett - Crazy strong but also a 5 cost so maybe they just leave him.
Zed - Pretty busted with the right items. Dominates early and mid game and doesn't even really fall off all that much if he has the right items.

In terms of buffs, I think some good candidate are Divine, 6 Fortune, Mage (especially 3), Azir, Ezreal, Kayn, and Xin Zhao.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Man it sucks when a build works crazy well then suddenly falls off a cliff if you can't get item drops or a three star. I had a 50 hp leave and for destroyed by a unkillable 3 star diana with good luck getting the heal coin flip rather than the damage. Was healing for 330 repeatedly and just outlasting all my damage

Was even beating the stupid ass cultist person til they hit 9 cultist

4 enlighten works as long as you get 2 or 3 items on talon. Irelia and to a lesser extent Riven

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Zed is the first time I've ever considered quitting the game. FUCK dropping argo and breaking my unit's AI. Like, what is this? It's so fucking ass to play against.

"Welp, fighting a shade/yummi, time to watch my units behave erratically."

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Sharpshooter is probably my favorite build right now. 4 Sharpshooter and 2 Brawler/Vanguard dominates the early game and you can afford to roll early for 3 stars because the vast majority of your team is 3 gold or cheaper.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Ok I think the worse part of Cultist isn't how annoying it is. It's how it forces you to do something to stop the massive bleeding as they'll win with like 4+ units alive sometimes. Then they can have Aatrox make sure it combos great

I still haven't done it and will probably leave that mission missing

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Wth a 3 star pyke with the random item giver just having blue buff and me one shoted all my sharpshooters and hunters with his ability alone 2 seconds into the round. It should only do 450 unless 6 assassin is affecting his ability for some reason

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I had such a cool build going - Brawler/Warlord/Assassin, Brawler chosen Vi with Nunu, Maokai, Garen to provide a frontline, Ashe to round out the Elderwood, Kat and Akali for extra damage... but Kat just takes so goddamn long to fire off. Should've stacked the items on the Akali and held the rest for the Ashe. Dammit.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
I had such a cool build going - Brawler/Warlord/Assassin, Brawler chosen Vi with Nunu, Maokai, Garen to provide a frontline, Ashe to round out the Elderwood, Kat and Akali for extra damage... but Kat just takes so goddamn long to fire off. Should've stacked the items on the Akali and held the rest for the Ashe. Dammit.

I honestly can't stand using Katarina. I feel like every time I use her she either never gets the mana, or she uses her ability right before dying with GA up and wastes it all. I think the only time I'll even consider using her is if she's a Chosen.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't stand using Katarina. I feel like every time I use her she either never gets the mana, or she uses her ability right before dying with GA up and wastes it all. I think the only time I'll even consider using her is if she's a Chosen.
I feel like she's super super strong... but not into Brawlers. Or, uh Cultists, since she basically just turns on their passive then dies (assuming she can cast). It's just SO much damage. Brawlers don't care though, Kench in particular.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Had a great game going until my team got completely walled by a triple Gunblade Annie. Probably the weirdest thing I've lost to. Still got 2nd that game with an Aphelios as my carry for the first time.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Akali seems to either hit hard as fu or do nothing to me so i always hesitate to use her unless i'm finishing off bonus

the most annoying thing i've seen outside of cultist nonsense is Diana with the 45% damage or heal 45% damage item, can crit ability and either MR or the armor/MR per target item

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish Zed was being nerfed tomorrow. Champ is just way too strong for being a 2 cost.

I still have yet to build with him. Never built Ninja or Shade yet. Warlord is usually my default build but Sharpshooter is my favorite. I'll go Brawler if I can't find anything else early. Every other build I'll go if I get an early decent chosen for it except for Mage which I don't like because it's heavily dependent on items.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
I really wish Zed was being nerfed tomorrow. Champ is just way too strong for being a 2 cost.

I'm thinking this too. You have 3 cost like Xin Zhao or 5 cost like Yone who are absolute garbage while a 2 cost has a drop agro/guardian angel on every third attack. While still doing insane damage. It's the worst thing I've ever seen in any set of tft. It's broken on so many level. Seeing a full item Talon walking back and forth between a Zed and Eve not knowing what to attack is pure frustration.

Who greenlit this? Make him a 4 cost because the motherfucker certainly carries like one.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

FINALLY

I WANNA SHOUT OUT TO GOD AND MOSES

Seriously a heart of the cards shit, I baaaaaarely eked out a win against the guy in 3rd place by pure luck and then, on the last roll, got the Sett and crushed the dude in first. I had 1 health.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
After failing miserably in everything I tried, I've had two wins in a couple of days using Elderwood and Brawlers. Watching Ashe melt teams is fun. I only just managed to beat someone who had a 2 star Sett, by rolling a Sett of my own in the last round.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
I've gone from plat 4 to plat 3 today just with spamming elderwood Veiger/Nami. Made it to plat 2 but got bounced out since more people are taking up Veiger.

Nami is fucking broken with a 6 second stun (split between two units obviously). I think she's the best 1 cost in the game now.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Just hit Diamond forcing open fort Veiger lol. I feel like I just robbed the place and got away with it. Shit was so easy.

n7gjHML.png

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Had a beautiful come back with 4 vanguard and 4 sharpshooters with very little item luck/obtaining only to lose at the end to person switching from 4 brawler 4 mystic and getting 9 cultist in like 6 rounds

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
I've barely been seeing anyone go Cultist lately. 3 Cultist got nerfed but I thought it was overrated anyways and 9 Cultist is still devastating. The three most common builds I've seen lately are Duelist, Mage, and the Zed build. In my last two Mage games I've gotten first and second in them without using Veigar as a carry. Annie with multiple Gunblades is nearly unkillable and Ahri really only needs two items to carry. The game I came in second with it I went up against 6 Sharpshooter which is the biggest counter to Mage.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Aphelios with Guardian Angel is by far the dumbest thing in TFT atm. So stupid that I can proc his Guardian Angel and then my 3 units still alive die to his turrets while he's rezzing. Changes I'm hoping for next patch:

Buffs:

Twisted Fate (worst unit in the game by far)
Vi
Jarvan
Cassiopeia

Nerfs:

Guardian Angel or Aphelios (prefer Guardian Angel because it's dumb with Ahri too)
Gunblade
RFC
Tahm Kench
Zed
Kalista (Runaan's procs counting for her ability is ridiculous)
Lillia (nerf her targets at silver to 2 instead of 3 and buff the damage)

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Balance Changes October 7
Nerfing a few overperformers that are currently dominating most games.
  • Spirit Attack Speed: 35/80 ⇒ 35/70
  • Aphelios starting Mana 120 ⇒ 90
  • Janna max Mana: 50 ⇒ 60
  • Ashe Hunter's Focus Bonus Attack Speed: 50/75/300 ⇒ 45/65/300
  • Veigar Dark Blossom Damage: 500/650/1000 ⇒ 450/600/900

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017

Changes look pretty good. I've never gone the full Spirit/Hunter/Moonlight build but I know how annoying it is to go against, mostly because of Aphelios. The Aphelios nerf is something but all it really does is make him even more terrible early. Thought about mentioning Janna in nerfs because most late game comps have her, but I rarely actually use her. Never actually found Ashe to be that much of a problem. Also thought about mentioning Veigar but I thought Gunblade was more of a problem with him and a couple other characters.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

The Ashe nerf is going to really hurt Elderwood/Brawlers - that's most of their damage unless you go for something wacky like AP Nunu. Not sure that the Aphelios nerf will do much to Moonlight.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
The Ashe nerf is going to really hurt Elderwood/Brawlers - that's most of their damage unless you go for something wacky like AP Nunu. Not sure that the Aphelios nerf will do much to Moonlight.

I've felt like Elderwood was already one of the weaker builds. With the Ashe and Veigar nerfs, I think I'm gonna be avoiding it. The Ashe nerf shouldn't have as much effect for Hunter builds since it's (IMO) the worst carry for it. The Veigar nerf for Mage will hurt it but it'll be viable. I've won games going Mage with Annie and Ahri as my carries before.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I've felt like Elderwood was already one of the weaker builds. With the Ashe and Veigar nerfs, I think I'm gonna be avoiding it. The Ashe nerf shouldn't have as much effect for Hunter builds since it's (IMO) the worst carry for it. The Veigar nerf for Mage will hurt it but it'll be viable. I've won games going Mage with Annie and Ahri as my carries before.
I mean, Elderwood/Brawlers was always more Brawlers than Elderwood - just taking advantage of the fact that 2 of the Brawlers were Elderwood to snag an easy carry option in Ashe or, if you had to, Veigar (though Ashe was so so so much stronger because of the WW synergy, as well as being pretty busted in her own right). Without that, Brawlers is kind of lacking a hard damage source. Vi means you probably want something AD, but nobody else really synergizes that well off the top of my head.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Wtf is up with the odds of getting a choosen to pop if you don't have one post 3-1 I went til 6-1 and still didn't get a single one to show up and I mass rerolled

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Everything I've tried other than Elderwood Brawlers I get rekt. I've tried Spirit based things a few times and do ok, but get destroyed by certain other builds.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
SO I just sacrificed a match to finish the 6 cultist mission....had them on the board for two matches. Checked and had the trait and the upgraded Galleon...didnt get the quest completion...ffs rito