• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a resource anywhere which lists which units are tanks/melee DPD/ranged dps etc?

I see that mentioned a lot around positioning but I don't know how to tell what type a unit is. Usually i just put the beefy looking dudes at the front and Ashe and laser squid at the back.

(also is there no era league OT?! or a general era riotverse OT/discord? Or an era autochess OT/discord?is autochess not cool any more :'( )

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Is there a resource anywhere which lists which units are tanks/melee DPD/ranged dps etc?

I see that mentioned a lot around positioning but I don't know how to tell what type a unit is. Usually i just put the beefy looking dudes at the front and Ashe and laser squid at the back.

(also is there no era league OT?! or a general era riotverse OT/discord? Or an era autochess OT/discord?is autochess not cool any more :'( )

You can maybe look through this to get a better idea of what each champion does.

https://tftactics.gg/champions

For the most part, a champion's class determines their role. Vanguards, Protector and Brawlers are your frontline. Blasters, Sorcerers and Snipers are your backline DPS. Blademasters and Infiltrators fill the melee DPS slot. Some champions are a little unique within their class though. Like Graves is a close range Blaster and Xayah is a ranged Blademaster so there are some outliers that you just learn through playing. In the end though, a champion's class is going to typically be the most important determining factor in where a unit is placed.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
You can maybe look through this to get a better idea of what each champion does.

https://tftactics.gg/champions

For the most part, a champion's class determines their role. Vanguards, Protector and Brawlers are your frontline. Blasters, Sorcerers and Snipers are your backline DPS. Blademasters and Infiltrators fill the melee DPS slot. Some champions are a little unique within their class though. Like Graves is a close range Blaster and Xayah is a ranged Blademaster so there are some outliers that you just learn through playing. In the end though, a champion's class is going to typically be the most important determining factor in where a unit is placed.

Thanks, I was a bit confused by Graves but if most of the classes fit their role I guess that makes it easier.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Here's the cheat sheet for the new set. Goes live on PBE tomorrow but I think I'll probably just wait until the official release.

Egwif3dWsAMhD-U

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
The 5 costs for Fates seem absolutely bonkers. I mean...look at Yone's ability lol.

Yone strikes along a path in front of him, dealing magic damage split between all enemies hit and knocking them up for 2 seconds. Enemies hit are marked for death, reducing their Armor and Magic Resist by 60%. Yone's spell is then replaced with Unforgotten until there are no remaining enemies marked for death. Unforgotten (20 mana): Yone dashes to the lowest health enemy that is marked for death, killing them instantly.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Couldn't help myself and downloaded PBE. Maybe it's just the honeymoon phase and people still figuring stuff out but after playing four games this set seems amazing. It seems way more about actually building out comps as opposed to everyone fighting over the same handful of broken units. I was worried about the Chosen mechanic but it's actually the best thing they've done so far in my opinion. I'm sure people will figure out the more broken stuff as time goes on but right now this is setting up to be my favorite set by an extremely large margin.

Edit: Three wins in a row, all of them with different origins/classes. I love this set.

614763f07c04e05ac21fac7cf8df7721e97a8cff.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Carthago Delenda Est
Oct 28, 2017
Definitely honeymoon phase but I am hoping the chosen mechanic might sometimes make off-meta builds viable. Sounds promising. Glad you're enjoying it.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think the Chosen thing is going to put a lot of power into champs and comps that would normally lack it, which on one hand is going to go a ways to making it harder for any given game to follow the meta... but also, when you get the perfect Chosen for a strong comp, it could decide games all by itself. Randomness like that is a tricky thing to balance around.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
I think the Chosen thing is going to put a lot of power into champs and comps that would normally lack it, which on one hand is going to go a ways to making it harder for any given game to follow the meta... but also, when you get the perfect Chosen for a strong comp, it could decide games all by itself. Randomness like that is a tricky thing to balance around.

Yeah, there are definitely going to be times where hitting a decent Chosen is going to rocket you into Top 4 or higher almost automatically. I've already seen a few Chosen Zeds and it gets out of control pretty quick. It also makes spatulas so much more valuable too since it becomes much easier to hit the highest bonus on certain traits if you hit the Chosen on them.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
won 1st game using 8 brawlers double Sett 1 with ability can crit item the other with IE + last whisper. Nunu and Mao doing the dirty work of lowering hp. i had 8 melee 1 ranged (lulu) lol. 2 keepers to do some light work b/c i couldn't really fit anything else in. had 60 hp at the end

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
ok, NOT havint a special unit seems to mean you can't get 1st place, i did a almost entire run without one and only could get 3rd, the lack of hitting more bonuses prevent me from even coming close to the guy running full assasins and a few cultist

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
finally got my brawler build going...could only get 2nd b/c i didn't have a Sett so i tried to 3 hunter with special and 2 divine with WW with rageblade. lost b/c cc proof Eve with 2nd tier cultist lasted too long before my ramp up damage with my Ashe and didn't have a sword to get IE

cultist has to get nerfed first

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
i don't even see a honest way of being it outside of sheer luck of items + divine maybe?
I beat a couple cultists right now with a duelist comp centered around Chosen Yasuo. The lifesteal he gets off of Exile second level bonus is so immense he can just kinda kill them even if he's alone against 3 units in the end.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I beat a couple cultists right now with a duelist comp centered around Chosen Yasuo. The lifesteal he gets off of Exile second level bonus is so immense he can just kinda kill them even if he's alone against 3 units in the end.
i've been avoiding duelist thinking it was too weak might try it. been having terrible chosen luck to stuff i don't wanna pivot to or just can change directions
i also refuse to go cultist ever

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
ok i just got hit with a Duelist comp with Chosen Yasou and Kindred with duelist trait...that attack speed is insane

wtf if i don't take the opening Chosen i don't get one later in the game to pop up, this has happened to me like 3 games now. like post level 5 that's a fat chance i'd get one anyone to pop

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Yeah, Chosen Yasuo Duelist comp is super strong if you can also keep Kalista safe. I haven't tried it since they nerfed Yasuo on PBE though. Added bonus that Lee Sin can wreck Galio too.

I think 8 Brawler also probably matches up pretty well against Cultist if you can get good items on Sett and Nunu.

I've also heard Zed is a decent counter to it as well since once he starts stealing Galio's attack damage he becomes unstoppable. He's also just crazy strong on his own anyway so you don't lose much by taking him.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
brawlers don't work at all to get 1st place if you don't get Sett outside of luck on Nunu/WW doing some damage. 6 bonus sett coming back in is usually clean up damage for the win

my main problem with Galio is his almost 4k hp at 2 star which is just damage soaking b/c he gets targeted over others most the time

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
brawlers don't work at all to get 1st place if you don't get Sett outside of luck on Nunu/WW doing some damage. 6 bonus sett coming back in is usually clean up damage for the win

my main problem with Galio is his almost 4k hp at 2 star which is just damage soaking b/c he gets targeted over others most the time

Sharpshooter may be the way to go then. Hunter to a lesser extent as well. Only issue you run into is Jhin is going to be contested and you'll need him to be your carry.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
i was MOLLYWOOPING everyone, til the other person figured out how to keep Lillia/Ez safe to use that stupid AOE stun and i got murdercized with my 7 duelist, i kinda fucked up by making a 3 star Kalista rather than keeping two 2 stars with full items just to make the 8th when i had 10 units on board

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Sharpshooter may be the way to go then. Hunter to a lesser extent as well. Only issue you run into is Jhin is going to be contested and you'll need him to be your carry.
without a natural attack speed buff option for others i avoid Sharpshooters if i can't get rageblade b/c otherwise you gotta do dusk or dazzler if anyone does even a little bit of assassin or shade

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
had a near purfect 8 duelist set up. got destroyed by a Chosen Katrina with can crit, IE + rabadon's for the fastest 9k damage rounds and 6 warlords with Garen with 2 Titan's Resolve's + Gargoyle Stoneplate + damage reduction from spin the damage sponge and 1 star jinx for cc

tho i did have a hilarious 1 star Sett with duelist trait

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I had a 6-Assassin comp thanks to Chosen Akali and all items on Talon and still lost. Damn cultists.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Tried something new with 6 Divine 6 duelist with Kalista divine. It almost worked but 2 people went mages. And I was waiting for a rageblade for Kalista before switching to 8 divine

Was burning through the cultist and brawler builds tho

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Am I just misinformated but I thought you couldn't get 2 chosen of the same trait. Me and someone else got liss dazzler and 2 people got 6 cultist from the same hero and cultist

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
I'm terrible at this but the new set is great. I've been trying to just build a team around the chosen I get and it makes me think about how to build a team instead of just doing star guardians every time (sorry).

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Ashe is lowkey busted, I'm seeing more people pick up on that too. Probably has a lot to do with Elderwood being a tad too strong as well but I definitely think Ashe got a little over buffed. Just make sure you put Bloodthirster on her.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Ashe is lowkey busted, I'm seeing more people pick up on that too. Probably has a lot to do with Elderwood being a tad too strong as well but I definitely think Ashe got a little over buffed. Just make sure you put Bloodthirster on her.
Bt, IE, and the attack damage on kill increase one maybe. Or a defensive item. But got to worry about the rageblade jinx, assassin's or Lillia carry

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
Really good first impression and base for the set, it feels like, although I think the barrier to entry is higher with how obtuse the theme is to match to characters. Even as someone with lots of League experience some of the portraits are just head scratchers or I forget. The color on something like Aatrox doesn't even feel like it changes when he's on the board because the portrait is just this grey undefined face.

The carry options feel a little limited right now when Duelist/Hunter/Sharpshooter are kind of attack speed focused, and even subcatagories like Spirit play into this. Feels like the Dazzler effect could stand to be changed, because the bonus is really bad at stopping the damage that comes out right now, and it drags down the potential of characters like Ezreal and Morgana. Only thing that really stands out is how underwhelming Mage synergy is, particularly the 6 of effect.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Really good first impression and base for the set, it feels like, although I think the barrier to entry is higher with how obtuse the theme is to match to characters. Even as someone with lots of League experience some of the portraits are just head scratchers or I forget. The color on something like Aatrox doesn't even feel like it changes when he's on the board because the portrait is just this grey undefined face.

The carry options feel a little limited right now when Duelist/Hunter/Sharpshooter are kind of attack speed focused, and even subcatagories like Spirit play into this. Feels like the Dazzler effect could stand to be changed, because the bonus is really bad at stopping the damage that comes out right now, and it drags down the potential of characters like Ezreal and Morgana. Only thing that really stands out is how underwhelming Mage synergy is, particularly the 6 of effect.
Every 6 bonus can beat mage 6 easy except brawler because you can slow them down enough. But if they reach the back line you lose

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
So if you get offered a Chosen Zed and have decent items for him I recommend trying this build out. Guardian Angel is required for Ahri to make it work but man, once you get the pieces in place it's something to see. Even 3-Star Ahri aside Zed just goes to town after the Spirits cast. I ended on a 10 round win streak and maybe only one of them was even close.

spiritshade.png

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn algorithm keeps giving me Duelist chosen and multiple Duelists per roll and I tear things up and then fall over dead in 3rd place, over and over.
So if you get offered a Chosen Zed and have decent items for him I recommend trying this build out. Guardian Angel is required for Ahri to make it work but man, once you get the pieces in place it's something to see. Even 3-Star Ahri aside Zed just goes to town after the Spirits cast. I ended on a 10 round win streak and maybe only one of them was even close.

spiritshade.png
I've tried Spirits/Duelists but Duelists just require too many slots.