• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
There's potential for an Animal Crossing like game on PC. But for that, it needs to nail a few things:
- The atmosphere (seems to be the case here)
- The content (don't know about that here)
- Mods (don't know about that here)
And also really importantly...
- The design/visuals (which they didn't manage to nail here).

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
That furniture designer looks great. Something about the art direction is bothering me though.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

I hope there's nips market in this game too.

Well if there is, it won't be in Real Time as the game is not Real Time.

I'm sorry if I repeat what I said last time, but without a Clock-Based system, this won't have the community feel like AC does, even with Time Travellers and such.

But i'd like to be proven wrong of course.

But right now, it seems like a blend of Stardew & AC, with an Art Direction which seems unappealing to me.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
There's potential for an Animal Crossing like game on PC. But for that, it needs to nail a few things:
The original "Animal Crossing" could be seen as "The Sims". Of course there is potential for more games like that. The game itself looks nice, although the "farming" looks off. The item maker looks very interesting (and would be amazing with workshop support).

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
This is truly hideous. I really like that furniture customization thing though. But why are the animals like sports mascots?

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah this is the critical thing. There is so much nuance and character that Animal Crossing has, along with good additions to content over time. PC players among other platforms would definitely jump on board if a good title shows up. I'm sure someone will eventually take on that challenge in their own way, much as Stardew Valley did when there was no decent Harvest Moon style game

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
The fidelity is so much less than Switch AC.

You'd think some indie developers would integrate RTX GI in there so at least your promo video can look technologically comparable to a mobile game.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is the critical thing. There is so much nuance that Animal Crossing has. PC players among other platforms would definitely jump on board if a good title shows up. I'm sure someone will eventually take on that challenge in their own way, much as Stardew Valley did when there was no decent Harvest Moon style game

I also forgot something REALLY important:

Multiplayer.

Nintendo often drops the ball with their games on that aspect.

You'd think some indie developers would integrate RTX GI in there so at least your promo video can look technologically comparable to a mobile game.

Yup, lighting is lacking in term of how the game could feel in term of atmosphere.

There is something truly creepy about the artstyle.

The eyes of the characters + the visual style. The animals looks decent but almost too... similar ?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

Do you think it's about fidelity? It seems more of a budget issue. High-quality assets aren't cheap.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think it's about fidelity? It seems more of a budget issue. High-quality assets aren't cheap.

Yeah but your assets can look better with a $1500 GPU going full bore.

Been playing a lot of AC on Switch and the AO, shadows, and lighting are excellent (due to the small scene scope and variability).

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
When the first news about this game emerged before, I'm highly interested and really looking forward to play this game.
I like the customization shown in the trailer.

Also, I can see some potential mods that have everything in the game to have all Animal Crossing's residents and references.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
No offense to anyone who worked on this, but this gives me strong "Wii shovelware" vibes. Especially the player models. Feel like something I'd see in a bargain bin at Kmart a decade ago. It just looks and feels so "off".

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
The animals look like actual mascots with a person inside them.
I think they could have gone with mostly humans and separate themselves from AC in other ways, and instead try to copy more of the vibe, rather than straight up having animals around. The vibe is the biggest selling point in AC, and it was a bit hard to feel it in this trailer.

Still, best of luck to them, and I hope it ends up being an awesome game.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Also, has anyone looked at the Steam Forums for this game?

Everyone who hates it is called a Nintendo Fanboy.

Interacted with one or two of the trolls and they just don't want to budge from their spot. When you call them out they reply with "PC sucks, you need help".... Nah, flip that around on you guys for attacking Hokko Life missing out on the potential for this game. You guys are missing out on the potential of this game by being so stupidly stubborn. Just follow this game and have fun with it :)

I'm curious. I want to know more about this game to see how far its potential will go, what it will do, and etc. How good shall Hokko Life be? :)

If there is a void its good to fill it in. I still wish people would fill in the Silent Hunter 3 void of adding surface warships that isn't World of Warships. 'Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts' seems to be it on that front.

I also +1 TemTem for the Pokemon side of things because Nintendo will keep everything on their system and mobile phones. They need to branch out.

Nitnendo need to branch out from their own Platform and Mobile...Nintendo go Third-Party Plz?!

Also, this comment:

I was expecting nothing from the Switch as frankly my iPhone has better graphics, but even than it managed to disappoint me. Low res textures, low 1080p gameplay, no AA. But that's only graphics, the gameplay itself is mind numbingly boring imo. Maybe it gets better the start is WAY to slow for me. But here a short list of everything wrong with it:

-No camera turn, your view is often blocked by trees and whatnot.
-Minecraft blocks, ie, you place a lamp and it has a force field of 2 squared meters of air.
-Loading screens, loading screens, loading screens,...
-A loading screen inside your house's new room which already uses a loading screen.
-1 island per console because corporate greed, that's why, raising the buy-in to 400eur.
-Boring dailies that are only there to increase Nintendo's pathetic MAU's.
-Inventory handicap, whistle you can store stuff outside, 0 logic.
-RP conversations are repeated and repeated, nothing interesting.
-Doing ANYTHING requires a RP dialog,>click craft: "you wanna craft hurr durr".

Nintendo's pathetic online features;
-Have to use a freaking code to invite just 1 friend.... Why.
-Loading screen, and more boring ♥♥♥ rp, before you can go online.
-No way to voice chat with the Switch, need to use a phone LMFAO.
-No cloud saves, no backup.

Switch problems:
-Poor quality of controllers.
-Poor screen quality especially when coming from an iPhone.
-Poor build quality of the system itself.
-Poor WiFi speeds, 5mbps LOL, the wifi card is 5MBPS, my BlackBerry had better.
-Overpriced games with graphics worse than mobile games.
-Can't voice chat lmfao.
-Can't use the device for anything else, like Netflix, Spotify, no 400eur just for poor quality games from Nintendo.

I'm sure there is more, I sold the system within 48 hours as I said to the other guy. At least I made money from it from AC fans, if I knew that I'd bought the whole store empty and resold them all at a premium. But alas.

The Dev commented about that:

Hey everyone! This has been a topic that's gone back and forth. In the end I decided to make the game not follow real time. I felt this fits the style of play for people playing on PC better rather than on handheld. I also wanted to give players the ability to enjoy all of the game, even if they don't have time to spare every day.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
No offense to anyone who worked on this, but this gives me strong "Wii shovelware" vibes. Feel like something I'd see in a bargain bin at Kmart a decade ago. It just looks so "off".
It's cheap looking. Good art direction is not easy. Especially in a highly visual medium like gaming.

Everyone who hates it is called a Nintendo Fanboy.

Nitnendo need to branch out from their own Platform and Mobile...Nintendo go Third-Party Plz?!

Also, this comment:
Your mistake is going to steam forums lol.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
An Animal Crossing-esque game with modding ability would be really cool. I guess this game has potential, but it's a bit lame how blatant it is in copying AC. They should've made everything unique so I don't feel like I'm playing Wal-Mart AC. Like they could've come up with their own art style, and they could've come up with a different style of residents than the anthropomorphic animal thing.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
even ignoring the fact that it's a shameless rip off, it doesn't look very good. the style and animations look very low budget.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Steam Forums are always trash for the most part so it ain't news.
I'm sure the devs would rather not create some kind of war between their game and Animal Crossing.
For the game itself it's cool they're trying to bring an experience similar to AC on PC but it needs a LOT of polish, especially some of the animations are rough.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really not seeing the problems people have with this?
It doesn't seem super unique at all, but there's nothing particularly offensive about it.
People raved on Temtem because they didn't like the new Pokemon games: do people not like this solely because they like the new AC?

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
It doesn't seem super unique at all, but there's nothing particularly offensive about it.
People raved on Temtem because they didn't like the new Pokemon games: do people not like this solely because they like the new AC?
I'd argue Temtem is a far more polished and well realized product currently which is not to say Hokko can't improve over time.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Honestly Nintendo has so much open range on PC they'd make fucking bank. With MK, Smash, AC, you name it could sell a shitload of copies on PC. AC is one I wish was sorta cross-save across everything because that'd be pretty damn awesome.

Regardless this game looks good just seems like they are trying to imitate the AC style while also not doing that and it feels like someone just copying someones homework, but changing a little bit of it.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
TemTem proves that you can make a blatant copy of a Nintendo game and still have it be good and even better than what you're copying

This just looks like dogshit

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
All that matters to fans of Animal Crossing is that AC is prettier and that their friends are playing it, not this. The proposition of mods or more in depth decorating and customizing doesn't matter--the gameplay does not matter.

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
Why are the villagers animals? Why does the clothes changing animation look exactly like Animal Crossing? You can do some unique concepts while still building off another product. This just tiptoes the line of plagiarism.

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
Well if there is, it won't be in Real Time as the game is not Real Time.

I'm sorry if I repeat what I said last time, but without a Clock-Based system, this won't have the community feel like AC does, even with Time Travellers and such.

But i'd like to be proven wrong of course.

But right now, it seems like a blend of Stardew & AC, with an Art Direction which seems unappealing to me.

The art direction is straight up ripped from AC. Are you not a fan of AC?

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The art direction is straight up ripped from AC. Are you not a fan of AC?

Inside Hokko:

animal-crossing-new-horizons-b.jpg

Inside New Horizons:

ss_f8bd2ef5080721cc2770caa7a4d52b4ee576b3a7.1920x1080.jpg

Outside Hokko:

animal-crossing-new-horizon-paths.jpg

Outside New Horizons:

ss_1146d81b6541b4a09141a147bbdbab384d563d19.1920x1080.jpg

Hmm, you're right! They are similar!

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The art style of this game is just really creepy. Villagers and Players are just nightmarish. Rest of the world's style isn't bad but does feel off. Still things can change as the game develops. There's definitely some interesting features I wish AC had.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty simple, Temtem looked good from the beginning and this doesn't. Fix the art design and people would be way more open to it. First impressions and all that

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
There's no going back to any other game besides New Horizons it's just that magnificent.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
The faces are strange, and the animations are pretty janky (when she was planting seeds, watering, etc.)

That furniture customizer is pretty cool though

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with following Nintendo's design, but this simultaneously looks too blatantly copied, while simultaneously lacking the charm and maybe looking a little too gamified.

But I actually like the look of the world. It reminds me of PS2/GCN games. I just don't like the character models.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Unfortunately you pretty much nailed it.

I find Stardew Valley's art direction to be serious trash in many ways but I have never heard anyone go off on it like I have this already.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I like a few things about this more than AC (how you drop down houses, the sheer freedom when placing furniture) but the art direction is... iffy.

It has the whole porcelain doll syndrome with the human faces which really don't fit well with the extremely cartoonish proportions of the animals. Kinda needs to go all the way in one direction or the other.

It wouldn't take a lot to fix -- just shrink the animals heads down and give the humans more simplistic faces -- and at that point it could be a pretty solid option.

Also not going real time because of "how people play on PC" is rather bizarre, especially considering AC has had just as many mainline console outings as handheld ones.

Last edited: