• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Let's see... footage is under embargo still. Sega didn't send out Switch code ahead of launch. ROM leaked several hrs ago, and now this footage surfaces from an outlet known to pirate Switch software, break embargo, and pull shady shit.

But no one gives a fuck because "yay we get footage early".

I'd definitely support adding this channel/outlet to the blacklist if that's really the case, we shouldn't really support that sorta crap

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Smh at people thinking sega characters is what solf the all star games. What sold the game was the sonic name on the cover, not the sega name. There's a reason why that name was front and center for those games. Now, I'm not saying that this change is for the best but the lack of Sega characters absolutely won't affect sales. If it underperforms, it'll be for other reasons. Altho, persona 5 representation could have sold extra copies because the persona fanbase buy all the spin offs. I don't think other series would have done an impact.
Right, the most controversial aspect of this game that is mentioned in every article, every forum, every interview and every comments section is not going to impact it's sales, but some mysterious 'other reasons' you forgot to mention are going to be to blame when this game does sell worse than past SEGA x Sumo games.

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
Let's see... footage is under embargo still. Sega didn't send out Switch code ahead of launch. ROM leaked several hrs ago, and now this footage surfaces from an outlet known to pirate Switch software, break embargo, and pull shady shit.

If Contra is doing this repeatedly sounds like they should be banned on resetera.

Edit: They've also stolen footage (copied footage without credit) from a site I've worked for so they are definitely shady.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right, the most controversial aspect of this game that is mentioned in every article, every forum, every interview and every comments section is not going to impact it's sales, but some mysterious 'other reasons' you forgot to mention are going to be to blame when this game does sell worse than past SEGA x Sumo games.
You guys really think this game will do worse? Probably be the number 1 selling title this month

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The funny thing is that era will close a thread down for posting magazine scans but once a game is out too early and pirated its fine and we shouldn't worry about how the user got the game.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
If Contra is doing this repeatedly sounds like they should be banned on resetera.

Edit: They've also stolen footage (copied footage without credit) from a site I've worked for so they are definitely shady.
They stole footage from IGN and cropped the footage to remove the IGN watermark. Plagiarism is a serious offense in this industry, but piracy and stealing game footage is apparently no big deal.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Contra basically pirates everything. The channel always has footage up the moment after ROMs leak and when games are still under embargo. Happened recently with MK11.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

lol welp. Didn't know about this, never heard of the channel before and just stumbled upon it while searching for TSR footage sorted by upload date this morning.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No 60fps on Switch blows, good thing I can still get it 60 on other consoles and PC. If I get it on Switch, it'll be double dipping purely for portable.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
You guys really think this game will do worse? Probably be the number 1 selling title this month
For this month? I think it will do alright. The only new game that I think has a chance to give it a run for it's money is Rage 2, which I do not expect to light up the charts but does have a much more significant marketing push than this does.

The rest of the year it is debatable. I am expecting this to have better legs than Sonic Forces for sure (especially with the movie on the way), but I am expecting to see this turn up in bargain bins pretty quickly.

Keep in mind even SEGA Superstars Tennis went past a million units though.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
same, i wish they went with visual downgrades and maintained the fps. the thing is for many people how the game looks in screenshots and trailers is more important than fps, and devs know that. they don't want switch versions to be looked at like past handheld versions of games.
Well, it would take a heavy hit on the iq and graphics, plus would need more optimization.previous handheld systems had their own version, sometimes made by another team with different gameplay /gimmicks obv you can't do that on the Switch so its about what they choose to sacrifice.

A racing game needs to play well, but if it looks horrible it is a good product for most people? Maybe it plays 'ok' at 30fps but keeps some of the pretty graphics

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For this month? I think it will do alright. The only new game that I think has a chance to give it a run for it's money is Rage 2, which I do not expect to light up the charts but does have a much more significant marketing push than this does.

The rest of the year it is debatable. I am expecting this to have better legs than Sonic Forces for sure (especially with the movie on the way), but I am expecting to see this turn up in bargain bins pretty quickly.

Keep in mind even SEGA Superstars Tennis went past a million units though.
Switch version of this game probably get to a million at the end of the day
Eh Rage 2 has a chance to take it. Or MK11 and Days Gone. TSR should be top ten for sure tho. Maybe even top 5.
True

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
It is not mentionned as extensively as you say it is. The game has been getting surprisingly really positive previews too.

I dont think the game will sell badly and the reasons for it underperforming would be the same ones had the all star racing games had.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the kids and parents who will be the vast majority who buy this game are gonna care if Alex Kidd is in it or not. I don't think it'll sell better than Transformed, but I chalk that up to the direction casual gaming has gone in recent years more than anything else.

It'll have mighty legs, though.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
FYI: A reason the Switch & Xbox One version don't have review code distributed yet is because they don't have the Day 1 patch contents available to them. Take this pirated footage as a grain of salt because it may not accurately represent the launch build you'll get when the game launches next week.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Graphically, it looks pretty good! I like the lighting, so I understand why they ended up at 30 fps over 60 even though I'd strongly prefer 60. The tracks themselves seem really bland to drive though. Lots of guardrails and straight lines with some curves thrown in for good measure.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
FYI: A reason the Switch & Xbox One version don't have review code distributed yet is because they don't have the Day 1 patch contents available to them. Take this pirated footage as a grain of salt because it may not accurately represent the launch build you'll get when the game launches next week.
Thanks for letting us know !

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
No. The House of the Dead, Company of Heroes, Super Monkey Ball and Total War are seriously significantly big franchises, especially for their genres. This is also ignoring the fact that they avoided using other well known SEGA IP too and mostly just went with stuff the developers seemed to like. Imagine trying to argue this against non-Super Mario IPs in Smash Brothers. Star Fox and F-Zero barely sell so might as well not rep those!

Also Sonic Mania is easily the most beloved Sonic game since like Sonic Adventure both externally and internally, do not try to pretend it is some small game brushed under a rug. Especially with all of the animated shorts, merchandising and all of the times it has been listed as an especially important release in the franchise. It is also not digital only either.

I do not think having new releases in some of these franchises is relevant to crossovers (though I would prefer they pick more constant franchises than stuff like Billy Hatcher) and I am not trying to act as if including titles like Space Channel 5 (which does have a new game on the way) somehow immediately makes this a better product.

What bothers me is that some people present that this is a much better focus for marketing purposes. They openly ignore that characters like Omega, Zavok and honestly probably more than half of the cast in this game are much smaller time characters than just about anyone significant you can pick from another fan favorite game franchise. In the end past games already had the most popular Sonic characters anyways, so I am not sure why so many act as if this is a gamechanger.

I am personally not too terribly disappointed with it being Sonic exclusively. I just wish if they were doing something like that they did more deep cuts. Sand Hill Zone from Sonic Adventure certainly caught me off guard though.
I can't tell if you're serious. Sonic is almost on Mario-levels of popularity, it's one of the biggest videogame franchises. If you're seriously trying to argue that House of the Dead or Super Monkey Ball are on the same level today, I'm out.

Again, not sure why you think I'm arguing that SEGA should just cut everything that isn't Sonic because it's more popular (hell, just look at my profile picture), I'm saying that yeah, the decision makes sense from a commercial standpoint.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
I can't tell if you're serious. Sonic is almost on Mario-levels of popularity, it's one of the biggest videogame franchises. If you're seriously trying to argue that House of the Dead or Super Monkey Ball are on the same level today, I'm out.

Again, not sure why you think I'm arguing that SEGA should just cut everything that isn't Sonic because it's more popular (hell, just look at my profile picture), I'm saying that yeah, the decision makes sense from a commercial standpoint.
Saying that Sonic is close to Mario level of popularity is exagerated. Back in the 90s sure but nowadays hell no. However,Sonic is still well known. For example, Sonic Dash was downloaded over 500 million times on mobile so he still has reach. Weirdly enough, that reach doesnt translate to game sales but dont make the mistake of thinking that Sonic is not known. Heck, no other sega ip getting a movie would have resulted in the reaction the sonic trailer had over the internet.

Last edited:

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Oh damn, I didn't think about this happening. Also makes sense since it's direct handheld footage.

Well that sucks.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Mario level of popularity is exagerated. Back in the 90s sure but nowadays hell no. Sonic is still very well known. For example, Sonic Dash was downloaded over 500 million times on mobile so he still has reach. Weirdly enough, that reach doesnt translate to game sales but dont make the mistake of thinking that Sonic is not known. Heck, no other sega ip getting a movie would have resulted in the reaction the sonic trailer had over the internet.

Wtf did I just read?? You are trying to say sonic is more popular than Mario?! And that Mario isn't even popular nowadays??!!!

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing MK8 Deluxe recently, and this looks so lifeless and dull in comparison. Will wait to see the other tracks before making the call I guess.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Mario level of popularity is exagerated. Back in the 90s sure but nowadays hell no. Sonic is still very well known. For example, Sonic Dash was downloaded over 500 million times on mobile so he still has reach. Weirdly enough, that reach doesnt translate to game sales but dont make the mistake of thinking that Sonic is not known. Heck, no other sega ip getting a movie would have resulted in the reaction the sonic trailer had over the internet.

>implying that Mario isn't popular

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is being sold at a discount price and it likely won't set the charts on fire, but... they could still make it much better if they made a "Sega All-Stars" DLC pack with a handful of Sega characters and tracks.

I wish! I'll give it 50% chance

I am personally not too terribly disappointed with it being Sonic exclusively. I just wish if they were doing something like that they did more deep cuts. Sand Hill Zone from Sonic Adventure certainly caught me off guard though.

Neither do I. I expect some DLC though. Mania Team would be great.

It's sega on switch

I dont know what people expected

It looks like a pretty solid port, in line with other ports from PS4/Xbox to Switch.

Mario Kart 8 DX runs 60fps undocked.

There's no reason to buy a 30fps kart racer on Switch.

Mario Kart 8DX is an incredible game yeah, but It has like 5 years now? people who love kart racers sure want something new to play and oh hey, this has Sonic in it!

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart 8 DX runs 60fps undocked.

There's no reason to buy a 30fps kart racer on Switch.

I don't know why people seriously say this as though every Switch owner should be content only playing MK8 for the rest of the console's lifespan. Yeah, there actually is a reason to buy a 30 FPS kart racer on Switch when there's literally no other 60 FPS kart racer on the system and you've been playing the same 48 Mario Kart courses for the past 5 years.

Last edited:

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Wtf did I just read?? You are trying to say sonic is more popular than Mario?! And that Mario isn't even popular nowadays??!!!
>implying that Mario isn't popular

What the hell ? How did you guys get that out of what I said. I was implying that Sonic was not nearly as popular as Mario. I said that he was in the 90s but not anymore. I was also making a point about how he still has a certain amount of relevancy especially compared to other sega IPs Of course, Id never imply that Sonic is more popular than Mario.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Pass. I could see the justification for 30fps in Transformed due to water physics but not this. There's no good rationale for a game that looks like this not hitting a higher framerate on Switch. Especially when Switch is almost guaranteed to be the best selling SKU, this should've been prioritized.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Looks good to me, but considering it's footage from a pirated version of an under embargo game, maybe the video should be removed and the topic closed.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017

You said COMBINED, not individually. You were wrong there just based on the franchises I listed.

And the other thing I said was more of a general comment to people in this thread, not distinctly directed at you.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I mean, tracks look fine, but the driving seems really uninspired. And the music also doesn't do too much for me tbh.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks terrible , not even overraggreating but it does look nearly same as PS Vita version

No it doesn't.

Why people are accepting CTR on PS4 at 30fps but not on sonic racing for the Switch?

There have been some people complaining about that but here's the thing, those folks are the minority.

The general public just don't care about the whole 30 vs 60 FPS.

I actually didn't know till you pointed it out. I will avoid their channel in the future.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
People complaining about the characters is funny. Is that really the only reason you liked SART?
No, and for that reason i'm still looking forward to this, however, that aspect is very dissapointing. Imagine if Nintendo decided to make Super Mario Fighters instead of Smash Ultimate, the gameplay would be the same and thats awesome, but it takes away a huge part of what Made the previous games so appealing. I wanted an All Stars Racing now also with more niche Sega characters, like the ones Project X Zone had, to go along with the great gameplay, but instead we only have Sonic characters....

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017

Yeah, Contra Network is a known pirate and basically tries to do whatever he can to get the first gameplay video of any game ever. It's really annoying since as a fellow gameplay channel with access to PR people I can easily tell when something breaks embargo or just flat out isn't related to a review copy at all. TSR codes haven't really gone out yet and thus there's no way he would have gotten the switch one super early. He's also stolen footage outright from IGN in cases like that AC Cloud Edition video he made.

Still a very annoying bummer to hear about the 30FPS though. That was inexcusable in Forces' bad port and it's inexcusable here. Though from what I hear Transformed ran at 30 FPS too? I didn't really notice that in videos for that game but I do recall playing a Wii U demo of it and it felt not nearly as tight which would explain it. Are the other versions hitting 30 as well or is the Switch the worst playing one by being the only odd one out? I do hope the day one patch ups it to 60 in docked at least since it's annoying to get port after port that focuses more on the game looking pretty than a normal framerate. I'd rather it be like MK11 where it runs at the proper speed at the expense of visual detail. Wasn't expecting Mario Kart levels of detail or anything, just something solid.