• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
better scores than i thought. still looks extremely unappealing to me. tracks look flat and way too big, the game feels like it moves at a snail's pace and sonic characters are blegh.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, it's 30 on the base consoles too? Damn, that's tremendously disappointing.

Been watching some footage from people on Youtube that got a street date copy. Unless they captured the footage at 30ps by accident, that's how it looked to me.

Would love to be corrected though.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Mechanically, it's more of the same of Transformed - which to me is the best very best Kart racer experience in terms of gameplay.

The problem is that it's a Sonic game. Had it been SEGA All-Stars it would've scored higher... Had it been called Team Mario Racing and featured the Mario cast but been otherwise identical it would score higher still, I'm quite positive.
Nah, even if it had other Sega characters it'd be quite a big step down from the previous game, that's why it's not reviewing very well.

Oct 27, 2017
Only 21 tracks? And a lot are re-used? And they got rid of the cool cast of characters from the previous 2 games? And on top of that Sumo still cant make a Kart game that runs at a consistent framerate? Get outa here. No thanks.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a comparison of the Metacritic averages of the other Sumo racing games (excluding the scores for mobile/handheld versions of varying quality and ASR's lackluster PC version)

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing - 76.66
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed - 80.25
Team Sonic Racing - Currently at 73

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Been watching some footage from people on Youtube that got a street date copy. Unless they captured the footage at 30ps by accident, that's how it looked to me.

Would love to be corrected though.

doesnt base PS4 can only record and stream at 30 fps? only Pro can stream at 60.

edit: I'm trying to read italian Eurogamer review and seems like it says base consoles are 60 fps with drops.

La versione da noi provata (PS4 su console base) gira a 1080p e 60fps, ma sono risultati frequenti, vistosi e fastidiosi i cali di performance, e speriamo vivamente che siano risolti con una patch del day one, anche perché non sembra un titolo talmente complesso da richiedere una Pro o una Xbox One X per mantenere i 60fps fissi.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
The All-Stars aspect was always going to be missed, so I don't know why that's surprising to people? Going Sonic only was a mistake, but it's Sega and it involves Sonic, so clearly they're going to fuck it up.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.gamesradar.com/team-sonic-racing-review/ (2.5/5)
Sonic is in a rough space with its latest game, movie, and spin-off all failing to meet the low expectations given them. Team Sonic Racing could be a fun experience if it's core mechanics were tweaked to be tighter, fluid, and far more arcadey. There are bits of polish than shine through every now and then, but the entire game feels like it was rushed through development.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
You know that's an interesting point, despite the same team I don't think they've ever officially referred to it as a sequel to asrt. This is very much it's own thing and should be addressed that way. If anything it's a sequel to sonic drift 2

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bet its gonna be another GaaS type scenario where they release a barebones game and then a bunch of free updates later on (that should have been in the game at launch) and everyones like "WOW such great support! Games great now!"

I'm looking at you, splatoon

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a different franchise.
People don't get that but I don't blame them. In their eyes this is the next Sonic racer after Transformed.

Scores seems great. TSR has this uphill battle because is Sonic in first place.

Looking forward DF retro to clarify framerate though.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
You know that's an interesting point, despite the same team I don't think they've ever officially referred to it as a sequel to asrt. This is very much it's own thing and should be addressed that way. If anything it's a sequel to sonic drift 2

Also this game was made by a totally different Team inside Sumo than the one from the original/Transformed game.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Bet its gonna be another GaaS type scenario where they release a barebones game and then a bunch of free updates later on (that should have been in the game at launch) and everyones like "WOW such great support! Games great now!"

Aaron Webber (Sonic PR) has said on the official streams that there won't be any DLC, but maybe it's just because of the negative connotations it has. I hope so, at least they could port the missing Sonic stages from SASRT

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a comparison of the Metacritic averages of the other Sumo racing games (excluding the scores for mobile/handheld versions of varying quality and ASR's lackluster PC version)

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing - 76.66
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed - 80.25
Team Sonic Racing - Currently at 73

Lackluster? Is the best version by a margin

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Transformed quite a bit but the omission of other Sega characters in favor of going pure Sonic is a decision I just don't care for.

Maybe I'll give it a whirl once it goes cheap.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Lackluster? Is the best version by a margin

Referring to the original ASR there, not Transformed.

They haven't mentioned any DLC plans and the previous Sumo games have had pretty pitiful DLC (why on Earth did Transformed get 6 extra characters on PC and nothing on console?) but I really hope they go for it this time, there's plenty of stuff they could do within the Sonic universe.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I need the performance analysis stuff pronto so I can figure out what version I'm getting.
If PS4 is only 30fps for us non pro peasants then I might as well go Switch since I actually have online there currently.

On the whole it sounds like the team racing aspect actually picks up some of the slack and that my initial thoughts that the track themes may all blend together somewhat may be founded.
I'm surprised there's as many retooled tracks from previous games as there are, yet Sky Sanctuary's slick car lap from Transformed isn't among them (nor one of the recurring aesthetic themes), a shame.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Went from being very disappointed in how it was shaping up at E3 last year to being surprisingly hyped for it. The extra dev time really seems to have made a difference!

It's the soundtrack I'm really here for, though. Tee Lopes AND Jun Senoue AND Hyper Potions AND Crush 40?! There's almost no way this doesn't end up being the soundtrack of the year (though if it is, it'll never get recognized for it), especially based on the samples they've released so far.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I expected worse for some reason. Slightly more interested than I was

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Nintendo =/= Sega in this regard.

Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing only had one track and Ryo in a Forklift as DLC

Sonic Transformed had Metal Sonic DLC, an Outrun track, and some exclusive PC content as DLC

Not expecting much here unfortunately, especially with how this game seemingly looks to be lower budget in some places compared to the previous two. If we're lucky we'll get 3 more characters and one more track.

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
Mechanically, it's more of the same of Transformed - which to me is the best very best Kart racer experience in terms of gameplay.

The problem is that it's a Sonic game. Had it been SEGA All-Stars it would've scored higher... Had it been called Team Mario Racing and featured the Mario cast but been otherwise identical it would score higher still, I'm quite positive.
The lack of the transformation in vehicles, gameplay and tracks that made the last game unique is surely a bigger reason that it didn't score higher.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds great.

My friends and I have been playing Mario Kart 8 pretty much every week since launch on the Wii U. So a new competent kart racer is a godsend. And then next month we have CTR. I'm in heaven.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Team manages to ruin games they don't develop, lol.

I think if Sega wanted a sequel to Transformed they would have ordered one some time in the past 7 years. This being a lower-budget Sonic game is probably the only reason we're even getting another Sumo racer.