• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Solo Ranked is empty on PS4. Team Ranked lobbies aren't filling. It's Thursday afternoon, but the game just came out. Pretty disappointing. Performance is also not great in single payer and struggles to hit 30fps in split screen on the Pro.

Thinking I should've gone with the PC version. Even if the community isn't there, I'd at least have better performance.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Are we sure that the desert/pyramid tracks are set in Sandopolis? I mean, it's full of Boos, and those are from SA2.
I don't have the game yet, but are they not just the ghosts from the second act of Sandopolis?
qovx3n.png
15nnbja.png

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I've been thinking about getting this, but a couple questions...

Is online active for any of the platforms or is that pretty much doa?

Does the story/missions have local co-op like Transformed did?

Thanks!!

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Well I am having a blast with the game. I have it on Xbox One X and it's beautiful and 60 FPS but I definitely notice choppy frame drops during races when going really fast and/or lots of racers on screen at once using items. I was really hoping it would be locked 60 and regret not getting on PC where I could have made that happen.

Other than that though, the characters are fun, the carts look good, I personally like the mod pod gacha system. No real money is involved so it's fun to see what I might get each time, and have picked up some cool stuff already. The music is catch and fittingly upbeat.

Tracks have lots of different paths with loops, corkscrews, jumps and other crazy things. Story mode is super cheese and the voices are LOL but at least there IS a story mode. I like the little Mario World type overworld maps for chapters. There are races, Grand Prix, and challenge tracks like picking up so many coins or going through colored goal posts etc. so lots of varied content. The Team mechanic is fresh and I love it. The team ultimate thing is great fun and trailing a teammate to get a boost never gets old.

So after that ramble, I basically was worried about the transformations being gone this time around,but personally, this game has hit ALL the right notes and I am so glad so bought it.

8.5/10 from me. I can't wait to play more tonight!

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about getting this, but a couple questions...

Is online active for any of the platforms or is that pretty much doa?

Does the story/missions have local co-op like Transformed did?

Thanks!!

1. Probably doa. I hope this is a network problem that can be fixed.
2. Totally yes

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'll start the story mode, hmm coming off some transformed yesterday I should be able to handle hard....
*one race later*
I'm sorry, where the flip did Big and Chao go?! they just zoomed off never to be seen again in lap 1 and finished six seconds ahead of my third place, da fuuuuuuuck?! I only span out once!

Guess I'm going normal, jeeeezus

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Guess I'll start the story mode, hmm coming off some transformed yesterday I should be able to handle hard....
*one race later*
I'm sorry, where the flip did Big and Chao go?! they just zoomed off never to be seen again in lap 1 and finished six seconds ahead of my third place, da fuuuuuuuck?! I only span out once!

How does it feel
to live the rest of your life knowing
That Big and a bunch of Chao outraced you

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
*one race later*

There needs to be an extra difficulty setting between hard and normal. It's a huge spike in difficulty.

Oct 28, 2017
There needs to be an extra difficulty setting between hard and normal. It's a huge spike in difficulty.
Absolutely. It's a big problem actually. Normal is far too easy it takes an effort to not win a race. It's boring to play. Then hard is just ridiculous it's as difficult as the hardest difficulty in Transformed. I shudder to think what expert must be like. This game needed a middle difficulty simple as that.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I am not a fan of the difficulty setting as normal is too easy and slow whereas on Hard and expert it's impossible to win as once the AI is gone, there is no way you're catching up as game is not balanced at all like Mario Kart.

Hopefully a patch will come in to address the problem.

Are we sure that the desert/pyramid tracks are set in Sandopolis? I mean, it's full of Boos, and those are from SA2.

It's implied that the pyramid level in Sonic Adventure 2 is Sandopolis.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. It's a big problem actually. Normal is far too easy it takes an effort to not win a race. It's boring to play. Then hard is just ridiculous it's as difficult as the hardest difficulty in Transformed. I shudder to think what expert must be like. This game needed a middle difficulty simple as that.
Yeah I am not a fan of the difficulty setting as normal is too easy and slow whereas on Hard and expert it's impossible to win as once the AI is gone, there is no way you're catching up as game is not balanced at all like Mario Kart.

Hopefully a patch will come in to address the problem.

It's implied that the pyramid level in Sonic Adventure 2 is Sandopolis.
Lol me too.

I think hard difficulty is in line with transformed "S" medal. Just use the Ultimate move wisely, just like the All-Star in Transformed. My take is that you must use it in order to win by design.
I...disagree.

And I hope this doesn't come across as "git gud".

I've been playing on Normal up until yesterday when I did a few Hard GPs. After seeing this discussion, I just jumped into an Expert GP for the first time, and we won and I finished first each race.

What are you guys experiencing that makes Hard and Expert so challenging? Is it more difficult in the Adventure Mode?

(i'm no pro at this series either, last time I played Transformed was probably the year it released on Wii U)

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*one race later*

Forreal! They be on some bullshit lol! The race start and they gone. You just gotta get lucky because one you use your ultimate they use theres at the end when they 2 seconds behind you and just speed past you.

Oct 28, 2017
Ok so I played a few games online. Impressions. This game is fucking dead. Ranked teams has hardly anyone in the lobbies. My ranked game I played was 1 player in each team with AI filling it out. Casual was a better but still didn't fill out 100%. But on my first casual team game I discovered something wonderful! You guys notice how much quicker your ultimate meter fills when playing with a team of real people? Bossed that game it was so fun. Then for the next game people decided to vote for a lightning race which was just the most unfun thing ever.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
How does it feel
to live the rest of your life knowing
That Big and a bunch of Chao outraced you
I'm ready to join Professor Beef's chao abusing alliance on a windy and sunny day.

This is kinda what it feels like.
Though hard has got better now another team has been introduced, but when you're doing the early stuff with just two teams it seems to lean heavily into one team firmly in front of the other with limited options to close the gap.
When you need items to even up the field but you just keep getting ghost and bombs.
With multiple teams as intended though I think it evens out a bit, still this game pulls no punches, the challenge missions are making me feel very inadequate.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
what's the prompt at the bottom of the menu about pressing start to join? Its locked on the switch

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
Call me crazy but try Expert. I think Expert is easier than Hard.

There gotta be a bug or something
Expert is indeed easier. The AI probably just sucks ass at driving on Expert due to the higher speeds or something like that.

I mean Hard should be Hard but jesus christ Sumo. I can destroy even the Plat Time Trial ghosts in just a few tries but just Hard drives me crazy...

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also,

drifting doesn't do shit in this game but slow you down over time. The computers never drift except for tight ass corners.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are there any announced DLC plans for the game? Would be great if they added more tracks and characters. Please Sega, give me Studiopolis and City Escape!

There has been no announcement for DLC yet (unsurprisingly), but given the past two Sega kart racers, it's very likely Sumo is going to do DLC for this game (and possibly even release some of it for free!).

Though I'm kind of struggling to think of anything but deep cut or recent characters like Fang or Infinite, unless they go the route of having other Sega series characters.

With Vector teaming up with Blaze and Silver, they kind of blocked themselves from having Charmy and Espio (though especially Espio could still be added via a team with like Fang, Mighty or Ray - in fact, Fang or Charmy would be a perfect Tech and Mighty a Power character for Espio's speed), and Cream doesn't seem particularly likely given that Team Rose already is in and she doesn't really go with anyone else.
I could see the Sonic Riders bird trio, perhaps, and some of the other villains (as said Infinite, but also stuff like Mephiles, Emerl or Chaos wouldn't be strange), and maaaaaybe a Sonic R team with Eggrobo, Tails Doll and Metal Knuckles, or a Fighter team with Bark, Bean and Honey.

I'd love for them to go full on deep cut Sonic characters, personally, but I'm not sure they will.

Last edited:

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Also,

drifting doesn't do shit in this game but slow you down over time. The computers never drift except for tight ass corners.

I suspected as much. And since it takes fairly long to even activate the first level of boost, it's even more of a waste if you try to drift-boost on every corner like in Mario Kart.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I suspected as much. And since it takes fairly long to even activate the first level of boost, it's even more of a waste if you try to drift-boost on every corner like in Mario Kart.
Yep, theres no point to do many drifts at all.

Thinking back on the gamexplain review, derrick liked the technique drivers more because of the control. As long you keep your top speed and get around those corners with a regular turn you're safe. You start drifting you lose your top speed just for a small boost reward.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Thinking back on the gamexplain review, derrick liked the technique drivers more because of the control. As long you keep your top speed and get around those corners with a regular turn you're safe. You start drifting you lose your top speed just for a small boost reward.

Perhaps drifting is a mechanic that is more beneficial for Power characters given their stronger boosts?

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps drifting is a mechanic that is more beneficial for Power characters given their stronger boosts?
I'll try playing with only power today since I like to drift. I'm still not seeing the point of it. When you can just keep your top speed. When you start to drift, you lose speed then get a rush from the boost but you lose your top speed. Especially dont make sense to do if you fighting to keep first.

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting. I shall try not drifting. Since I'm almost always ahead of my AI teammates I tend to drift as with any other kart racer. If I'm behind I do follow my teammates trail to get boosts, but I usually overtake them super fast.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll try playing with only power today since I like to drift. I'm still not seeing the point of it. When you can just keep your top speed. When you start to drift, you lose speed then get a rush from the boost but you lose your top speed. Especially dont make sense to do if you fighting to keep first.

Yeah, I understand what you were saying, but perhaps the boost strength of Power characters offsets the loss of top speed. It might be worth experimenting, and if it does benefit Power more than the other 2 classes, then that would help offset the mediocrity of Power characters otherwise.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I understand what you were saying, but perhaps the boost strength of Power characters offsets the loss of top speed. It might be worth experimenting, and if it does benefit Power more than the other 2 classes, then that would help offset the mediocrity of Power characters otherwise.
I hope so. I used to boost every time in the past games even on straightaways if I could. Def experimenting with only heavies tonight.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Ok I wasn't alone in thinking drifting seemed off compared to mario kart.

I'm also preferring technique characters. Team Chao, baby!

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
In first place in an expert grand Prix final lap, trying to get my CPU teammates in 10th and 12th to take my homing wisp....

Despite 6 offers, they did not take it and the positions refused to change, is this what makes it expert?!

Oct 28, 2017
I really hope the next Mario Kart straight steals the team mechanics from this game. They add so much. I'd love to have these mechanics in a game with an active healthy online community.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I took to Knuckles and Vector immediately. Speed are kinda all-arounders in a sense, Technique really excels in acceleration and handling and Power are about the Boost and Defense.

Although Power needs better parts in comparison to regular speed or technique characters.

Drifting is not useless, but staying in a long ass drift kinda is.

Yeah cause that shit was busted in SASASR haha and toned it down a little in Transformed.

Last edited:

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017

Actually, on most tracks Power characters with boost builds (in particular, Zovak is the fastest but Vector/Knuckles are almost as fast) are the fastest characters, and the low accel doesn't matter because just one small mt will get you back up to speed.

However, you do need to learn the strats to shitting out those blue boosts because the more of those you do in a track the faster power characters become. The boost itself doesn't last that long but they are so powerful you will coast from that boost for ages.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question about local co-op: can two local racers be on the same team together and cooperate rather than compete?