• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The item sharing is a rather cool idea. No longer do you feel like you get "useless" items while in first, you can now see it as "oh cool, something that could help my teammates", plus there are times where it can really help you out.
Actually, when you pass a capsule to your teammate you aren't passing the item. When they recieve it, it rolls again and they get a different thing.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, when you pass a capsule to your teammate you aren't passing the item. When they recieve it, it rolls again and they get a different thing.
Ah, okay. Still nice that you can at least attempt to help other team members.

Also man, I forgot some of these tracks were from the previous racing titles & now it just makes me want a HD Collection of All-Stars Racing & Transformed.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to thank whoever did the remix of Green Light Ride in the garage menu for making me laugh every time it goes "with you with you WITH YOU WITH YOU" and gets increasingly pitched up. Speaking of which, Green Light Ride has really grown on me now that I've heard the full version. I love that riff that starts at 2:49.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Even Knuckles is all "WTF, Vector, where's Espio & Charmy?"

Just finished Ch. 2 & getting all the stars/beating all stages on Hard. I gotta stop for the night, my finger is killing me from how often I'm drifting. I'm super happy that the game turned out to be as solid as previous entries and the whole team mechanic isn't as weird as I thought it'd be.

also i can't unhear omacho as futaba from persona 5

Last edited:

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I cannot imagine how unfun solo races online with randoms in this game must be compared to the core focus. As someone that normally kind of hates teaming up in games the team mechanics of this game are really super fantastic and push this above just about any other game in the genre IMO. If you can play with at least one more friend DO SO!

This is absolutely a new classic for the Sonic series. I am honestly kind of shocked considering how boring I find the game conceptually and aesthetically (for the most part).

Just wish there was more to look forward to in terms of customization stuff. Feels like I will have everything within the week if I play a lot.

glasiche

Avenger
Feb 12, 2018
Took a break and came back to see PC team lobbies jam packed. Very nice to be able to use my custom car with its custom paint against everyone else's

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, holy shit. Sumo Digital nailed it again!

I'm loving the hell out of the game. Online has been pretty great so far, not as much crazy netcode jank as Transformed had.

Steam version here btw.

Oct 29, 2017
This game is hella fun. Just made it to the 2nd chapter of team story mode. I like the team stuff way more than I thought I would. Makes the game unique and different.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Ok, holy shit. Sumo Digital nailed it again!

I'm loving the hell out of the game. Online has been pretty great so far, not as much crazy netcode jank as Transformed had.

Steam version here btw.
Yeah, netcode seems fine but matchmaking is really weird. Sometimes it just doesn't find anyone, other times it puts you in almost full lobbies.

Oct 29, 2017
Help! I can't get the speed boost at the start of the race! I googled it, and all the sites say the same thing, but I CANNOT get it to work!

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
I've played about five hours now.

Unfortunately, while I like the Team gameplay, the game overall is not grabbing me the way Transformed did. I admit this is probably because the game is limited to modern Sonic. I miss the different kinds of vehicles, all star moves (Team Ultimates are boring in comparison), characters, tracks from different franchises, and so on.

I'm enjoying my time, but I'm not loving it and I don't see myself playing this months from now.

Oct 29, 2017
Tap the gas before the 3 and 2 fade in, and do the same but slightly earlier before 1 fades in.

OMG that worked like a charm, and I got an achievement too. Thank you! You succeed where the internet fails. I am convinced that all the "tips" sites just copied and pasted from one another. Because I tried what they said, which was to do it when the numbers appear, not slightly beforehand like you said.

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Excited to pick up my switch copy during lunch tmrw. Getting it for 20 day one (two I guess) is great. Amazon price match + BB rewards.

Oct 25, 2017
Something about this track screams "Phantasy Star Online 2".

Maybe that's why I love it so much, having listen to the PSO2 soundtracks over the years.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
One thing that is blowing me:

Apparently you can't team up with a friend and matchmake? You can only do friend lobbies. This is SO wack. Is it the same on PS4?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Put a few hours into this tonight, it's a ton of fun! But man alive, some of the events are fucking hard. These ring challenges, how the hell is anyone capable of platinum on these?? I feel like the difficulty for a few of the non-race challenges will be patched in the future, some of them seem crazy unbalanced

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just started this game (thanks friend for the gift, you know who you are)... and is Tails a girl or a small child? I always thought it was a guy (like sonic and Knuckles) but after that intro dialogue I'm not so certain anymore. I haven't played a sonic game since adventure on Dreamcast, I don't remember if that had voice acting or if Tails was even in it. Anyway not important, just was curious, especially compared to Knuckles who is so manly sounding lol.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I just started this game (thanks friend for the gift, you know who you are)... and is Tails a girl or a small child? I always thought it was a guy (like sonic and Knuckles) but after that intro dialogue I'm not so certain anymore. I haven't played a sonic game since adventure on Dreamcast, I don't remember if that had voice acting or if Tails was even in it. Anyway not important, just was curious, especially compared to Knuckles who is so manly sounding lol.
He's 8 years old.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Put a few hours into this tonight, it's a ton of fun! But man alive, some of the events are fucking hard. These ring challenges, how the hell is anyone capable of platinum on these?? I feel like the difficulty for a few of the non-race challenges will be patched in the future, some of them seem crazy unbalanced

Something I didn't pick up on because I was silly and skipped the instructions, but if you drift while collecting rings, you get more time added to your countdown than you would if you just drove into rings normally. I find it takes a good technique character to get a good drifting line and collect the huge swaths of rings.

frankabus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How does the Switch version docked play? I like to have all my multiplayer pick-up-and-play games on my Switch so I can lug it around for hangouts easily.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The series or the character?

Either way, yes.

Series. I very clearly don't know enough about any one specific character.

That opening scene I was like wtf? Weird robot, old man, sonic tails and knuckles, big the cat... who else? Lol I thought I was gonna play a Mario Kart clone instead I got some goofy story about a spaceship ?

Banjoman

Oct 28, 2017
How is the split screen in the game? Can you play adventure mode in split screen? Can you play 2 vs 2 four player split screen? Can you play split screen online?

Debating about getting this or crash, hmm

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This game's voice acting is all over the place. Shadow legitimately sounds like Prince Vegeta and has a massive ego to match. "I'M THE PRINCE OF ALL HEDGEHOGS!"

Cyn

Oct 31, 2017
Picked it up last night. Personally I would advise against picking it up on Switch. It frequently seems jittery and sub-30. It can get pretty stressful on the eyes when the speed picks up or you're trying to focus on certain elements on screen. I played for a couple of hours last night and ended up with a crazy migraine which i still hanging around this morning. If it could hit 60fps while docked, even at 720p, it would make a massive difference.

It's a great kart game, I actually really like the customisation options on offer, the team selection and gameplay, I love the addition of different win conditions and missions in Adventure mode. The tracks are great fun too! I would just advise you get this on PC or console and drink in the better visuals and smooth framerate.
The Switch version just isn't coping well, the framerate feels all over and the low res visuals have that Vaseline sheen to them. I also notice that the character selection/customisation screen having lots of issues, with car parts or the chassis flickering in and out of existence just trying to render the models. It just seems like it isn't well optimised for the system, or the system cannot handle the visuals at all.

With MK8 running at 1080p@60 on Switch, it's difficult for me to recommend Sonic over it, even with the lower price. I really hope it gets patched with some optimisation fixes.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
What platform will be best for online long term do we think? Transformed seemed to die very quickly so I'm hesitant to pick this up as I have a feeling it'll happen here too.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
So what difficulty does everyone recommend? Is Normal challenging enough or is Hard the way to go?

Hard for sure. Normal feels really slow in comparison.

I'd love to be able to jump straight into expert though, as I was doing a few races in expert free play before jumping into the adventure mode, and that's where the game shines for me.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
How is the Switch performance? I want another kart racer for switch, but I'm getting CTR for ps4, so interested in this.

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
Started this on my commute to work. Only done first couple tracks. Don't really understand the team dynamic yet but the performance seemed fine to me. 30fps locked.