• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Team Ninja was known as one of the best developers during the late '90s and the 2000s. They worked on the Dead Or Alive fighting game series (which admittedly wasn't loved by the hardcore fighting fans, but was by casuals) and resurrected the Ninja Gaiden game series to enormous critical praise. However, in 2008 the founder and head of the studio, Tomonobu Itagaki , announced that he was leaving. The issue with this is that similar to "Kojima Productions" many saw Itagaki as Team Ninja, so understandably people were afraid that Team Ninja as we knew them was no more.

Initially this fear seemed to be warranted as the first game released after Tomonobu Itagaki's departure was Metroid: Other M which was infamous for being one of the most disappointing titles in years. It was followed by Ninja Gaiden III which is often seen as the "Devil May Cry 2" of the series, which I think more or less everything about it. Due to these two huge blunders it seemed that Team Ninja had gone the way of Sonic Team.

Fortunately, they turned themselves around with Dead or Alive 5. The studio proved that they could still make the series as enjoyable as ever before, and it seems that unlike previous entries this one had (at least some) blessing from the hardcore fighting game community. They then partnered with Nintendo again to create Hyrule Warriors, a musou game that had a very positive commercial and fan success. And to finally top it all off, they released the commercially and critically successful Ni-Oh, which many see as their best work since Ninja Gaiden. Today Team Ninja is often seen as one of the best Japanese developers, which is very reassuring being that they seemed to be in turmoil in the early 2010s.

But yeah this is just something that I think about, because I thought that after Other M and Ninja Gaiden III, the studio was done, but they really turned themselves around after that.

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
I always like good games, and for developers to make good games. That's why I don't want concepts like Fallout 76 to fail. Respect, Team Ninja, respect.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Especially finding their footing on such jiggly ground.
giphy.gif

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
No respect until they make another (good) Ninja Gaiden.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
The true success of Nioh was how Team Ninja used the Betas for their original intended purpose to gain feedback to improve their game.

This was the first time I've actually felt that I've contributed to helping a game succeed, doubly so when it's a non-indie game.

Would love to see them come back to Ninja Gaiden after making a solidifying their return with Nioh 2, just like how the DMC team is back.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The true success of Nioh was how Team Ninja used the Betas for their original intended purpose to gain feedback to improve their game.

This was the first time I've actually felt that I've contributed to helping a game succeed, doubly so when it's a non-indie game.

Honestly, Nioh coming out as well as it did kind of surprised me, and I say that as someone who was on board with the concept from minute one. I'm amazed other people warmed up to it as much as I did.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the same thing, but apparently TN had some involvement. I dunno how much though, because Musous are really Omega Force's forte.
They were primarily responsible for elements like the combat against officers and giant monsters that used the guard meter.

Dec 8, 2018
Not like a huge fan of Ninja Gaiden or anything, but this did make me appreciate their recent successes...thanks for making this OP, I might actually give DOA5 a try now :P

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nioh was great the new MUA 3 doesn't look too hot although the latter is probably due to budget. They're doing great

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy for them. Everyone already wrote them off after Itagaki left, and following that up with Ninja Gaiden 3 really didn't help.

What they did with the DOA series was a good first step.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
And now they're doing Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 for Nintendo.

Let's also not forget, Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, Fire Emblem Warriors and Dissidia Final Fantasy NT.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Nioh was great the new MUA 3 doesn't look too hot although the latter is probably due to budget. They're doing great
It looks great I just think you guys have the wrong type of expectations, it's not a close in character action game its a primarily zoomed out Gauntlet like with some rpg elements that needs clean mid detail models that are easy to pick out as enemies pop up and particle effects cover the screen. It'll also age better(as much as I enjoy the original the artstyle is a mix of somewhat cartoony characters gritty design and overuse of bloom has not aged well)

The characters look like solid representations of their comic book selves and are at the perfect level of detail considering we're looking at a cast of over 36(dozens) of characters

OP
OP
MegaMix

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Enemy variety and level design.

Story is completely non-essential in a game like this.

The level design was great, outside of few specific areas (the battle wastelands were terrible).

Enemy variety wasn't as bad as people say.

Story can absolutely matter in games like this. Just look at Dark Souls. Some of the characters looked cool but the cutscenes made them so non-interesting.

iliketopaint_93

Use of alt account
Sep 3, 2018
I love NGB and NG2. NG3 not as much, but after experiencing Nioh's amazing combat I'm hyped to see what they can do with a sequel now

Deleted member 25108

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They found their footing by stopping making the one thing that made them interesting to me in the first place.

At this point they might as well change their name.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It looks great I just think you guys have the wrong type of expectations, it's not a close in character action game its a primarily zoomed out Gauntlet like with some rpg elements that needs clean mid detail models that are easy to pick out as enemies pop up and particle effects cover the screen. It'll also age better(as much as I enjoy the original the artstyle is a mix of somewhat cartoony characters gritty design and overuse of bloom has not aged well)

The characters look like solid representations of their comic book selves and are at the perfect level of detail considering we're looking at a cast of over 36(dozens) of characters
I played MAU 1 and 2 on both PS2 and PS4, I know what it is. The 3rd one looks like a mobile game, as I said its probably because of budget (AA)

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I played MAU 1 and 2 on both PS2 and PS4, I know what it is. The 3rd one looks like a mobile game, as I said its probably because of budget (AA)
You know the original game's were also aa if not just a level titles. A clean comic artstyle doesn't mean it'd nobile. It's more of the genre

OP
OP
MegaMix

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a small PSA, don't go into Ni-Oh expecting a souls clone. The game is fairly different in its own way.
Yeah. While Ni-Oh is definitely part of the Souls genre, it is still different from Dark Souls. Think of it like say Turrican vs Contra. Both run-n-guns, but their approach is different.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
People really took some games too badly, which the constant spam of Itagaki fanboys didn't help.
Hell, they even tried to fix NG3 as much as they could with RE, which was relatively good in the end.

I doubt we'll see NG4 if they make a Nioh 3 sadly.
And now they're doing Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 for Nintendo.

Let's also not forget, Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, Fire Emblem Warriors and Dissidia Final Fantasy NT.
They didn't work on Yaiba.

If you want to add games they helped on, you can add the Dissidia mobile game and the last Fatal Frame. Same as helping on game engines at KT from time to time, and DOA6 using a modified version of DW9's engine should be interesting for KT's future.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Between Nioh and DOA5 they have definitely moved out of Itagaki's shadow but a certain level of quality has definitely been lost forever. For all the improvements I still feel their heyday was on the original Xbox. Honestly though it isn't TN loss it's Itagaki's. Don't think his ever going to be relevant again. This would have been the same for Kojima if he didn't partner with people who understand his brand of bizarre experiences. Death Stranding would not have been possible with any other publisher, no fanboy talk.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Between Nioh and DOA5 they have definitely moved out of Itagaki's shadow but a certain level of quality has definitely been lost forever. For all the improvements I still feel their heyday was on the original Xbox. Honestly though it isn't TN loss it's Itagaki's. Don't think his ever going to be relevant again. This would have been the same for Kojima if he didn't partner with people who understand his brand of bizarre experiences. Death Stranding would not have been possible with any other publisher, no fanboy talk.

devils third is really a shame. it had good ideas and a fun multiplayer but never got a chance