• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Yeah, at this point, this short is basically my headcanon for what happened in-between the Cell and Buu Sagas in the official canon. Great stuff.

Had a blast watching this stream live. It's crazy impressive that they were able to raise $20,000 for charity in this stream.
They blasted through the original goal before Garlic Jr was over.

OP
OP
Arrrammis

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
It's not technically TeamFourStar, but there's a lot of crossovers between TFS and Something Witty Entertainment, so if you haven't already, check out Sword Art Online Abridged! Definitely a fun one that really takes the piss out of the original and has a lot of MMO jokes. Episode 15 was just released, featuring KaiserNeko as the villain, after they had Takahata101 play the villain of season 1!

The whole playlist:

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Today's SAO abridged was great. Good on Kaiser for playing a FUCKING CREEPY character.

For those who hate SAO and can't imagine it ever being good.

I present these videos

I honestly hated Sword Art Online. It was a meandering story full of filler that never rose above its concept.

I like Sword Art Online Abridged more than I like to Dragon Ball Z abridged. It's tight, Funny. And makes me interested if the story.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not technically TeamFourStar, but there's a lot of crossovers between TFS and Something Witty Entertainment, so if you haven't already, check out Sword Art Online Abridged! Definitely a fun one that really takes the piss out of the original and has a lot of MMO jokes. Episode 15 was just released, featuring KaiserNeko as the villain, after they had Takahata101 play the villain of season 1!

The whole playlist:

One of the best abridged around, just a shame the episodes takes so long to release due to the huge amount of work they put into it.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
It really says something that the most active this thread has been in ages is because someone mentioned a different project by a different team altogether.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but considering the other thing update yearly, this really won't last long in any case.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Their Among Us videos are great cause it's made by using footage from all of their streams. So you get to see everyone's perspective.

OP
OP
Arrrammis

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
The Among Us streams have definitely been their best gaming stuff for a long while IMO, other standouts on the channel in general to me were the first two pokemon Nuzlockes (MUUUURRRRR STAKE) and the Xenoverse series, with all the over the top lore and such. They've talked a bit on why the gaming channel has kind of died (editors working on other more involved projects, people not all being into the same games, twitch being a much easier avenue for gaming and audience interaction, etc.), but I hope this is the start of more stuff and well-edited highlight videos.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Another good one.

I've seen plenty of good Among Us videos, but these are really elevated due to the editing. I do wish they had enough people to do 2 imposters tho. (Though since this seems to be all from one stream, it's possible they do now?)

Oct 25, 2017

Another good one.

I've seen plenty of good Among Us videos, but these are really elevated due to the editing. I do wish they had enough people to do 2 imposters tho. (Though since this seems to be all from one stream, it's possible they do now?)

Yeah, as someone who's caught these streams live, they've done three other Among Us streams since this first one and the others all feature more players and 2 imposters.

The other streams see people like Tyler (one of TFS' behind-the-scenes guys), Megami33, BrachyZoid, Linkara and LittleKuriboh joining the fray. Tyler starts showing up in Stream 2, then Megami in 3 and 4, while Brachy is in 3 and Linkara and LittleKuriboh are in Stream 4. It'll be awhile before they show up in this video series, I'd imagine.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, as someone who's caught these streams live, they've done three other Among Us streams since this first one and the others all feature more players and 2 imposters.

The other streams see people like Tyler (one of TFS' behind-the-scenes guys), Megami33, BrachyZoid, Linkara and LittleKuriboh joining the fray. Tyler starts showing up in Stream 2, then Megami in 3 and 4, while Brachy is in 3 and Linkara and LittleKuriboh are in Stream 4. It'll be awhile before they show up in this video series, I'd imagine.

I'm almost fine waiting cause the editing is so good.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm almost fine waiting cause the editing is so good.

Likewise. The editing reminds me a lot of one of my other favorite TFS Gaming video series; the Sea of Thieves videos.

I will note that towards the second half of Stream 2, they revert back to just one Imposter for a bit because they only have eight players for Stream 2. Since Stream 3 onwards though, I'm pretty certain it's always been two Imposters.

It was so cool when they played with Linkara.

No joke, Linkara pulled off a really impressive Imposter round.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Likewise. The editing reminds me a lot of one of my other favorite TFS Gaming video series; the Sea of Thieves videos.

I will note that towards the second half of Stream 2, they revert back to just one Imposter for a bit because they only have eight players for Stream 2. Since Stream 3 onwards though, I'm pretty certain it's always been two Imposters.

No joke, Linkara pulled off a really impressive Imposter round.
Yeah I literally didn't think it was him.

OP
OP
Arrrammis

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
A neat behind the scenes look with KaiserNeko about lip syncing:

Ayy, Halloween marathon of Hellsing Ultimate Abridged coming this friday!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
www.twitch.tv

StreamFourStar - Twitch

Retro Night: ES Oblivion | Let's Join a Cult for !Charity
Hellsing Ultimate Abridged marathon going on now. Just in time for Halloween.

Also it's been about 10 years since this edge soaked masterpiece began.

Last edited:

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
Hellsing Ultimate Abridged surpasses Hellsing Ultimate as a stand alone series, no hyperbole.

Sword Art Online does as well. The abridged series is excellent and actually makes the characters... characters.

You could legit watch either series and fully enjoy them without having ever seen the original.

DBZ:A I enjoy more than DBZ, but a large majority of that is due to DBZ Nostalgia/references.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Hellsing Ultimate Abridged surpasses Hellsing Ultimate as a stand alone series, no hyperbole.

Sword Art Online does as well. The abridged series is excellent and actually makes the characters... characters.

You could legit watch either series and fully enjoy them without having ever seen the original.

DBZ:A I enjoy more than DBZ, but a large majority of that is due to DBZ Nostalgia/references.
Agreed on all points.

Oct 25, 2017

And with that, Team Four Star has ended its final abridged series! All in all, I think they did a pretty solid job wrapping things up here.

That said, part of me wishes they could've expanded a bit more on the ending via some brief new animated sequences, but I absolutely get and respect the decision to stick with how the game originally ended and leave things a bit open-ended.

Oct 25, 2017

KaiserNeko talks about the countless Dragon Ball games that never reached America.
EDIT: Lani takes over halfway through.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arrrammis

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
Scott just posted an update on Patreon, figure it is worth copying over here.

Hey everyone, Scott from TFS.

It's 2021, and we've all made it through a particularly rough year. One that's left the channel looking a little more barren than we prefer. With a lot of questions, concerns, frustrations, and suggestions from fans, we wanted to take a minute to fill you in on what's been happening, what's happening now, and what will be happening in the future, and hopefully clear the air.

First, let's touch on something that's been sort of vague these last several years: What is Team Four Star?

There's been this growing idea that, because of our subscriber count and success of DragonBall Z Abridged, that we've managed to become a full on production house, and that our income and talent pool is large enough to produce content of similar quality from scratch on a regular basis.

But the truth is that we're essentially a 10-person operation, with everyone having varying skillsets (editors, composers, entertainers, to writers, actors, etc.). For us, any major production is going to take a lot of time and effort on our part, as we've had to keep our staff count low enough to cover all our expenses. And since the end of DBZA and the move away from Abridged-style content, we've also had to refocus our efforts across the board on original projects (including the ShortZ). This was always going to involve a lot of exploration and experimentation, which we were prepared for.

Then COVID-19 happened.

We had a slate of projects that had started production in 2019, looking to be finished and released in 2020. A couple of these projects were Unabridged and AWF, but there were others that we've yet to announce. When COVID hit, our office was shut down immediately, several projects were put on hold—or shelved entirely—and our gaming channel took a huge hit as we were unable to record in person, a format we (and our audience) greatly prefer.

Unabridged was the biggest project to be put on hold. We're aware of its more limited audience, but it was one the most fun, experimental projects we were producing. It was something we all enjoyed working on as a team, and had a lot of potential to grow. So when it had to be put on hiatus due to the pandemic, along with AWF and our other, unannounced projects, it changed up our whole timeline.

By the end of Spring 2020, it was apparent that we probably wouldn't be able to resume several of our productions until 2021 at the earliest. So, we shifted over to producing a few "quarantine projects." The one-off videos for Haikyuu and Dr. Stone were experiments with original animation and anime parody, but we've also been developing a couple of original, serial projects that are nearing completion. In the meantime, we made sure to stick to the Talkcast Podshow as a way to keep in contact with you guys, and also for our own genuine enjoyment.

Now, as we said with the gaming channel, due to restrictions, we were unable to record in person with one another. This heavily limited our ability to produce new gaming videos that we felt were both up to the quality standard people expected, but moreover… that we actively enjoyed. While we know that part of doing one's "job" shouldn't be entirely hinged on one's enjoyment, it should go without saying that lack of enthusiasm and enjoyment shines through negatively when it comes to that kind of content.

There's also been a general malaise around gaming content on YouTube, as Twitch is a more effective platform, both for engaging with an audience and making money. As such, we've struggled to maintain our focus on our gaming channel, especially as views on those videos had already been slowly decreasing over the past couple years. It was never our intention to entirely abandon the channel, but it was obvious that we needed to rethink how we wanted to approach it. We do have a plan to release more consistent content on that channel, mostly via our mad lads Kirran and Grant, as well as group content we've been trying to organize.

But we are entirely aware that the dearth of content over 2020 also came with a lot of silence on our part. That ties into one of the biggest issues we've had over the last several years: communication and transparency.

Why? Why has this remained such an issue?

There are a few reasons, but one of the biggest has been our track record of sticking to deadlines and consistently delivering. Time and time again we've given you dates for established projects, or even announced new projects, only for things to change nearing release (God knows nobody wants another cock up like with Bojack). We've been working to fix these issues for a long time, but with 2020 completely changing up how we run our business, we knew that promising anything in the long term would likely backfire on us. As such, we've kept things closer to the vest than we honestly prefer.

Another reason is our ongoing struggle with our image; our "brand", if you would. DragonBall Z Abridged is still a huge part of our "brand," and inarguably helped us get where we are today, but it is—for all intents and purposes—over. While we understand that a lot of people think our issues would be solved by returning to DBZA, our reasons for ending the series have only become more valid since we announced we were finished with it. Even if we returned to DBZA, we'd just be kicking the can down the road. We still have to deal with the growing pains of original production, and we choose to deal with them now.

The ShortZ (and an upcoming side project) will continue to provide similar content in the vein of DragonBall related parodies. But, to put it simply, we have no intentions of making another "Abridged" series again. There are too many issues that range from legal to practical that make them utterly untenable for us.

This has meant that we're having to grow more and more careful about what we announce and when, because we're trying to figure out what we want to ultimately invest our time into. Again, we're not some big production company.

The long and short of it is: We are just a bunch of guys making stuff we like on YouTube. Honest to God, that's what we've always been.

I want to tell you that, going into 2021, we'll have better communication. I want you guys to trust us and stick with us. But, the fact is, it's been a rough road here, already. A lot of folks aren't getting what they originally signed up for, we haven't firmly established our future goals, content has been coming out inconsistently, and the growing pains of creating original content are abundant. Our reticence hasn't helped with this, either.

But this whole post is a way of trying to reach out, not as a company, but as people who love making content, who just want to talk to you like normal human beings. Because over the last few years, it feels like we haven't. We've tried to wear a corporate mask to help sell this image of us as a professional production studio in the hope of pushing our products, when really we're just a group of people working on passion projects, and who've always been at their best when being frank with you guys.

No deflections, no corporate doublespeak, no bullshit.

Trust us, guys, we fucking hate all of that too.

As for our productions moving forward: firstly, for those of you who come to us for general anime parodies? The biggest source of those will be X in X Minutes, in the same style as the Demon Slayer one I put out last year.

Secondly, over the course of the Spring, you'll begin to see the projects we started developing after COVID struck. The one we're really excited about is Magic Time Wizards, an animated production created by Stephan, Kirran, and Grant that has already been shown off on our Patreon. Then, later on the in year, the stuff we had to put on hold should begin to make a return.

Finally, with the changes we've made, we have more time to invest in rebuilding the gaming channel. As we said before, Kirran and Grant are already recording stuff for you guys, and we have a few more ideas in the pipeline that make the channel a more unique experience than massive blocks of videos devoted to a single game.

Ultimately, 2020 being a right bag of shit doesn't excuse the longer, overarching problems we've had. A lot of us are legitimately trying to figure out what the direction of our team is, and we do sincerely apologize for the frustration, anger, confusion, and concern we've caused in the meantime. We're not asking for forgiveness, merely an understanding of where our minds and hearts have been.

We look forward to the release of our upcoming projects and hope that we can better communicate with you all, not just about new projects, but about us, who we are, and what we want to do.

Thank you so much for your time, please stay safe, and I hope you'll stick around for the future.
  • Scott "KaiserNeko" Frerichs

OP
OP
Arrrammis

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like we got some updates!
First, Spring Showcase this friday at 7 pm CST, with what looks like a lot of new in house animations, some DBShortZ, and other interesting things - including what looks liek Super Best Friends cameo?

Also, Grant and Kirran getting a new show rolling on the gaming channel, starting with Gravity Rush

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Been watching their stream.

Premiered their new series, HFIL.
I thought it was pretty great.

Oct 25, 2017

HFIL on YouTube
I like the premise. I wonder if we'll get Freeza in the cocoon later down the road.
Surprised at no Captain Ginyu since in TFS canon he died.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
There are a few legitimate laughs, it may be the best non-abridged thing they've done so far.

Oct 25, 2017

About 2:13 in (if the video doesn't go there), we got a TFS rendition of the first meeting between Goku and Mr. Popo. Watch it before Toei takes it down.

If you want something more substantial, I know Scott has been editing Beastars in X Minutes so...that's coming.