• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So some more stuff to tide you over - here's Vegeta playing DBZ: Kakarot for Renegade For Life. He initially starts angry, but then he sees Raditz kicking the shit out of Goku, and then he starts really enjoying it...

(Just an FYI, there's a sponsorship ad for RAID Shadow Legends at the beginning. Just skip to 2 minutes when it starts. The chat just straight up rioted when it came up.)

Oct 25, 2017
So some more stuff to tide you over - here's Vegeta playing DBZ: Kakarot for Renegade For Life. He initially starts angry, but then he sees Raditz kicking the shit out of Goku, and then he starts really enjoying it...

(Just an FYI, there's a sponsorship ad for RAID Shadow Legends at the beginning. Just skip to 2 minutes when it starts. The chat just straight up rioted when it came up.)

Now that's meta as hell.
Even Vegeta is tired of Raid: Shadow Legends.
Too bad he didn't get to the sidequest where Gohan discovered Yamcha is a cheater, fought off some robots, and we got a repeat of the Yamcha pose.

OP
OP
Arrrammis

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
Just in case anyone wasn't sure about the future of DBZA:

So we'll keep getting Dragonshortz as they feel like they have good ideas for them, but no full Buu saga DBZA.

On another note, they've started a new podcast talkshow called the Talkcast Podshow , and I'm enjoying it so far. You get the varied interests of the TFS members, and a lot of different stories and experiences regarding abridging, conventions, game development, TTRPGs, the gaming channel, and more across a few episodes. Check it out!

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Buu Saga is 100% cancelled and won't be done in the ShortZ style

Why do I get the feeling there is more going on then we think? Cause it's kind of crazy how quickly they changed their minds.

Edit: They basically say it without directly stating that it seems to be totally due to legal stuff that is starting to potentially have ramifications.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Buu Saga is 100% cancelled and won't be done in the ShortZ style

Honestly shows that announcing season 4 when they did was a mistake, but honestly they shouldn't be forced to make content they don't want to

That said I just really wish their new content was better. Especially since a bunch of it feels like it's coming at the expense of the other old content they did that I enjoyed like their gaming stuff

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Honestly shows that announcing season 4 when they did was a mistake, but honestly they shouldn't be forced to make content they don't want to

That said I just really wish their new content was better. Especially since a bunch of it feels like it's coming at the expense of the other old content they did that I enjoyed like their gaming stuff
I miss when most of their old gaming videos weren't just VODs of their streams.

Like the quality of their more recent Xenoverse videos are not as high as the old ones that weren't just dumping a Twitch VOD on YouTube.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Like the quality of their more recent Xenoverse videos are not as high as the old ones that weren't just dumping a Twitch VOD on YouTube.

That's kind of the nature of many gaming youtube channels these days. Due to having to play the algorithm it's much easier to stream for awhile and cut the stream up into videos.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I hated that switch. The recent Kakarot playthrough is a good sign, but I'm worried it might be an exception, especially since it's a dragon ball game. Plus I feel like they aren't even doing as many gaming streams on twitch nowadays too

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's kind of the nature of many gaming youtube channels these days. Due to having to play the algorithm it's much easier to stream for awhile and cut the stream up into videos.
The thing is that it's not even just that they were cutting up twitch streams into videos, they were basically just doing highlight reels of the streams where you'd have to go to the twitch archive if you wanted to actually see all the content

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I understand their reasoning WHY they want to stop, that's entirely fair.

I just don't really think they've got any content good enough to replace DBZA. That's the bummer part.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I understand their reasoning WHY they want to stop, that's entirely fair.

I just don't really think they've got any content good enough to replace DBZA. That's the bummer part.
ff7 abridged isn't bad, and well without the focus on DBZ and fans constantly yelling at them to make more or else, they might manage to make other quality stuff with their new sense of creative freedom.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm grateful for the content they've provided. Especially during severe low points in depression.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
ff7 abridged isn't bad, and well without the focus on DBZ and fans constantly yelling at them to make more or else, they might manage to make other quality stuff with their new sense of creative freedom.

FF7 is very close to being over, and even then it varies WILDLY in quality. It's not enough to sustain their channel.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
FF7 is very close to being over, and even then it varies WILDLY in quality. It's not enough to sustain their channel.
It's far from the only thing they do. They've stated before that their video game streams are not only fun for them but bring in the most money for them.

And it takes time to create new content, I'm sure they will have new stuff to announce soon, though it's also likely more and more of them are trying to move onto other things such as union voice acting and what not.

OP
OP
Arrrammis

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
They do a tabletop/board game stream on tuesdays which is usually pretty fun, and do a My Hero Academia review stream on mondays (kind of a carryover from their Anime FMK series). beyond that, they don't really have a schedule.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's far from the only thing they do. They've stated before that their video game streams are not only fun for them but bring in the most money for them.

And it takes time to create new content, I'm sure they will have new stuff to announce soon, though it's also likely more and more of them are trying to move onto other things such as union voice acting and what not.

I have virtually zero interest in game streams, myself. I hope they find success moving forward, but it's unlikely they'll have any content to draw my attention after this. Especially considering a lot of their content talks about modern anime and I haven't watched or cared about an anime series since the first run of Fullmetal Alchemist.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Too much of their stuff was built around personalities that wouldn't make sense in Buu Saga, especially Gohan. Sad to see, but happy for what we got.

I'd honestly prefer a Super Abridged, if only because I think it'd let them stretch more.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Too much of their stuff was built around personalities that wouldn't make sense in Buu Saga, especially Gohan. Sad to see, but happy for what we got.

I'd honestly prefer a Super Abridged, if only because I think it'd let them stretch more.

Super Abridged would be like two episodes long considering how bloody repetitive every single arc is.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I wish they'd keep doing the movies, though.

We'd at least get to see how they'd represent/voice characters that appear later. And another Abridged Broly movie (or two) would be welcomed.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Feels like they experienced a similar sort of burn out to what Toriyama experienced.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

I'm note even sure it's the format but rather the dynamic. I thought the Lani, Grant and Kirran trio was a really good combination and they seemed to have great chemistry. Not to disparage the others who take part in their recent streaming, but it all feels a bit low energy. Though maybe that's also an issue with the format.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm note even sure it's the format but rather the dynamic. I thought the Lani, Grant and Kirran trio was a really good combination and they seemed to have great chemistry. Not to disparage the others who take part in their recent streaming, but it all feels a bit low energy. Though maybe that's also an issue with the format.

Are Grant and Kirran still there?

OP
OP
Arrrammis

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
Are Grant and Kirran still there?
Grant, Kirran, and Tyler (the guy who does the camera, lighting, etc. for streams) have become the default gaming crew. For the tabletop stuff, they get everyone in - most commonly it's Grant, Lani, Kaiser, Zito, Brian, and IntrospectiveSpy (one of their twitch mods who lives nearby)

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they are, I think Grant does background work for most of the streams but isn't always an active participant, though he's still a regular. Kirran was there for the Sword/Shield Nuzlocke but I haven't seen him as much otherwise.
Grant, Kirran, and Tyler (the guy who does the camera, lighting, etc. for streams) have become the default gaming crew. For the tabletop stuff, they get everyone in - most commonly it's Grant, Lani, Kaiser, Zito, Brian, and IntrospectiveSpy (one of their twitch mods who lives nearby)

Well that's good at least. I just worried since I do want them to make their next "big thing" and keep worrying that every time they fall off the map (at least to me) that more of them have left.

Oct 25, 2017
I completely understand their reasoning. I'm super appreciative of all the work they've put in all these years, unfortunately I'm just not interested in any of their content outside of DBZA, Hellsing, and FF7 on a good day.

If all those are complete, I think I'm gonna be moving on.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that the series won't continue even in the Dragon Shortz format. I can understand why, Buu arc isn't really that good. Lots of stuff dragging and way more obvious instances of "Oops, wrote myself into a corner"
Hopefully their other content remains interesting and fun.

Is Takahata still there?

Yeah. The only person that really departed is Ben (hbi2K)

Nov 1, 2017
Based on their inability to get that last movie out and how they were dealing with various things I was half expecting this, they came off as burnt out and needed to move on to other things.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have patreon, so they won't do Buu then?
It's not Patreon-exclusive info, it's just a general update that they posted to their Patreon page. They linked it on Twitter because Twitter doesn't have enough words for what they wanted to say.

The TL:DR is, DragonBall Z Abridged is finished. It's dead. There will be no Buu Saga.

- The Cell Saga was a good ending to go out on, and TFS is satisfied with that being their ending. They'd rather go out on top than wear out their welcome like some others who don't know when to quit.
- They're 100% burned out on making DBZA the way they were making it (they were actually burned out a long time ago). They considered and tried alternatives, and none of them worked.
- DBZA kills TFS's relationship with Youtube.
- DBZA kills TFS's relationships the legitimate anime industry.
- TFS believes in Fair Use, but TFS would like to not be sued into oblivion by garbage corporations over their beliefs. It hasn't happened yet, but it's just a matter of time before it does, so TFS would like to quit while they're still alive.
- If you give money to TFS's Patreon because you want more DBZA (which TFS already said you shouldn't do), then now it's really really time to stop trying to give TFS money for that, because DBZA is dead.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly fine with them ending it and kinda expected it. The ending of the Cell Saga was a perfect send off and the show production had become a hellish ordeal.

Jul 24, 2018
Laaaaaaaaaame, but Hellsing was just as great and FFVII Abridged was pretty decent too so if they can conjure up something of that quality then I look forward to their future stuff. Either way, DBZA ended on a good note with immense replay value ala a season of classic Simpson episodes. I am thankful for them bringing all of this to life, as it has really entertained me a lot over the years.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
Whale, whale, whale…

Remember last year when I predicted that TFS wouldn't dub the buu saga, and some of you were like "how can you say that, oblivion? They clearly said they will, so why would anyone lie about such a thing, ESPECIALLY on the internet?"

Oblivion Farms remembers.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Except they did not lie. They even said they went in to it totally planning to do it.

They altered their plans, and they are allowed to.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Except they did not lie. They even said they went in to it totally planning to do it.

Really, the only ones they remotely lied to were themselves. It was clear by the end of season 3 that they just didn't have their hearts in continuing it beyond Cell, followed up by every time they'd reference doing Buu always being couched in either dancing around committing to it or confirming it but that it'd be different from the old stuff. They say they were going to do it and I do fully believe that they would have if they hadn't reached a breaking point, but they were obviously at that breaking point long before saying anything. This is a decision that really should have been made months ago.

I sincerely respect, however, that they finally went and did it, instead of dancing around it any longer. They've done good work over the years and deserve to get to move on, even if it means they lose a lot of support from people who were only going to them for the one thing.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017

are we really gonna do this

if i promise to give you $100, and then "alter" my agreement by instead giving you $5, would you say my promise was kept because i'm still technically giving you american currency?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
are we really gonna do this

if i promise to give you $100, and then "alter" my agreement by instead giving you $5, would you say my promise was kept because i'm still technically giving you american currency?

That's a really different scenario.

A better comparison would be I agreed on Monday to go to the bar with you on Saturday and around Thursday I said "I'm having a real rough week and I'm not feeling the bar. Sorry friend."

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am sad, would have preferred TFS take on Buu but I completely understand.
DBZA did ended on a high fucking note so that makes me very happy.