• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Was watching hbi2k's stream this morning, he wasn't super positive sounding. Apparently he didn't sound happy with his buy out when he left. "We came to an agreement... (Long pause) properly is a loaded term hahaha."

Not to start too much drama, but there was apparently a lot going on behind closed doors even before he left.

How does it effect them?
Voice actors can't do things that will offend their employers for fear of not getting future work. This includes not upsetting the companies they license from. Toei owns dragon Ball and also does a lot of animation released today... So they gave to be careful on that front.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know that Grant took over their gaming and streaming stuff (at least initially) when hbi2k left and while I enjoy him in the videos, I agree that i'm Not the biggest fan of his direction in regards to gaming content, especially since they've also just been streaming a lot less too and with a lot less variety.
Yeah, the lack of variety is definitely another issue currently, and I agree I enjoy Grant in the videos, so direction is a concern.
I also like Kirran and Grant's dynamic, so I'm not going to write of Unabridged right away.

Was watching hbi2k's stream this morning, he wasn't super positive sounding. Apparently he didn't sound happy with his buy out when he left. "We came to an agreement... (Long pause) properly is a loaded term hahaha."

Not to start too much drama, but there was apparently a lot going on behind closed doors even before he left.
I'm don't feel too surprised. It seemed like they were trying to have an amicable departure, but it seems like it wasn't so much in the end. I remember watching the first TFS at the Table after he had left, and Lani kind of skirted the issue.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

He wanted to do his own stuff (or at least stuff that TFS wasn't interested in doing), and that's why they broke up, right?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
He wanted to do his own stuff (or at least stuff that TFS was interested in doing), and that's why they broke up, right?
That was one of the official lines. It's clear that even if things went bad somewhere, all sides agreed not to be public about it, which makes sense. Just occasionally Ben let's out little snippets like that that makes it clear it wasn't a perfect split.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think TFS's problem is that they try too hard, with regards to DBZ Abridged. They love DBZA too much.

Like, I remember a long time ago, people were complaining that DBZA takes too long to come out, and they said that the main bottleneck was KaiserNeko's editing. Apparently they had a stack of non-finalized scripts ready to go in advance, and the voice talent was just sitting on standby, but KaiserNeko's a perfectionist and he refuses to get an assistant or hand off the job to someone else. So the rest of the group started branching out into doing things like Let's Plays, which didn't require KaiserNeko's editing.

And then we get to the point of the last episode taking more than a year to make, and not because of KaiserNeko's slow editing, but because they apparently spent a year yelling at each other and making heated arguments over which jokes were the best jokes, because their jokes needed to live up to the standards and expectations set by themselves and their fans.

But jokes don't work like that. You can't force funny. At some point, the effort becomes counterproductive, which makes the jokes worse. And the longer the episode takes to come out, the more people are disappointed when some of the jokes are a "miss" and the wait doesn't seem to have been worth it.

Setting Bojack's apparently-lacking potential for jokes aside, it doesn't seem surprising that Bojack Abridged crashed and failed in the writing stage. Nor that the Buu Saga (which was barely hanging on by a thread after that last Cell episode) is apparently probably dead.

Walking away from DBZ Abridged is probably the right call, but after they've cooled off, I think they should consider... Don't try so hard. Just let the jokes flow. Who cares if some bad jokes miss, or some good jokes don't land well enough? (Some people care, but please stop listening to those people.) Perfect is the enemy of good.

How does it effect them?
Basically, you've got a bunch of talented, aspiring young voice actors who are all friends and who all enjoy playing around with DBZA (as anyone should). Some of them don't take it super-seriously, and then they go on to have normal, successful careers. Others pretty much devote their lives to making DBZA better. But when the second group goes out and tries to get jobs, their prospective employers look and say "Oh, so you're those guys. The ones who break laws and hate copyright. I've heard of you." The love that TFS pours into DBZA is poison for their careers, and they only need to look as far as their circle of friends to see how much damage DBZA is doing to them, professionally speaking.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
From the sounds of the Reddit, they're even unsure they'd be able to do the Buu Saga under the new copyright regulations. So I can see why some people feel frustrated, they should've just ended DBZA at the Cell Saga, it would've been a nice wrap up since they want to move on anyway, sorta feels like they just don't want to say it's over in fear of losing money.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
From the sounds of the Reddit, they're even unsure they'd be able to do the Buu Saga under the new copyright regulations. So I can see why some people feel frustrated, they should've just ended DBZA at the Cell Saga, it would've been a nice wrap up since they want to move on anyway, sorta feels like they just don't want to say it's over in fear of losing money.

Overall they still ended that episode perfectly. Like even without the stinger at the end it still works as a conclusion.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah, the copyright thing I can totally get. Hell, it's already a miracle that they got this far in the series, and with this quality. Like, while not being the series in full, a lot of people basically DBZ through TFS nowadays. And I get that doing even more, with more complications down the line is not super motivating (especially since Buu is a like..a ton of new chars, some of them not that great, and a very very long series of events with a pacing that's all over the place)

I already considered in my mind anyway that the 60 parter would be the end. I'm a bit disappointed by no Bojack, but if I have to be honest, everything past this point is really a bonus. I am content with the DBZA that has been released.

(however, i'm looking forward for the last season of Yu Gi Oh if little kuriboh feels like it : > )

Nov 1, 2017
Kaiser released a longer more in depth post about what the problem was and it's kinda what we said.

Setting the Bojack Record Straight

Setting the Bojack Record Straight (And More From KaiserNeko)

Hey folks. I want to clear some things up, because the update today was a bit too vague.
We've given the impression that we dropped Bojack because it was bad, but... Truth be told? It's not the quality of Bojack that's the problem.
Bojack as a film isn't actually that bad. It's got a lot of beautifully animated fight scenes, one of the most impressive transformations in the series from Gohan, a pretty decent premise, and (in the Japanese version) some amazing music.
But one of its biggest issues is the absolute lack of conversational dialogue and exposition; it's a very streamlined movie that doesn't offer a lot of room for banter and subversion.

Worse yet is Bojack being a non-character in his own film. He has a handful of actual dialogue, and much of that are just tepid one-liners. His henchmen get it even worse; there's little to no room to make anything new or interesting with them. They're just there to beat up the heroes and then get murdered by Gohan.
As such, we struggled to find a way to change the movie up or even lampoon it, and constantly just... felt like we were rewriting the scenes to be slightly funnier. It kept happening, where we'd drudge ourselves through a scene just to find ourselves, "It's good enough" or "We'll go back later and maybe we'll have something better".

Which sucks, because every time we felt like we had a truly solid idea, we'd find it untenable due to the constraints of the footage. The last time we'd felt so stifled was Broly, but we spent almost twice the amount of time on the Bojack script and could only figure out the first 2/5 before we realized... we were miserable.

Because... and this may be the most pertinent thing I say here...
We're burnt out on Abridged content.

We're finding ourselves returning to wells and struggling with the content, especially following Season 3, and we want to get away from it. We need to try new things, like Unabridged, the DragonShortZ, the X in X Minutes videos. Hell, the X in X Minutes videos have me more excited than I've been in a while because they're giving us the opportunity to finally turn our comedic strengths outward, to new material, material we also have passion for.
And the DragonShortZ allow us to play with this franchise we've loved so dearly for YEARS in new ways! In our OWN way! (And, bonus, a COMPLETELY LEGALLY AND MORALLY MONETIZABLE way.)

And Unabridged is shaping up to be one of the most fun, educational experiences we've ever had; we're learning so much about film-making, improving our acting, our writing; each episode we've worked on has been progressively better than the last, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited as fuck to share it's weird surrealist comedy with you.

We're finally making new, different, and fun things happen, without all the constraints we've had for over a decade. We've been working on DBZA for 11 years. And while I love it more than anything else in my life... we need some space.
(Also, and I'll be frank about this: DBZA is a nightmare for our professional lives, and while we fully believe it's parody, top to bottom, it's made it increasingly difficult to operate on a professional level outside of our own team, and constantly puts our channel at risk due to copyright strikes and the threat of legal action.)

I'm sorry that Buu is still a ways off. I'm sorry that we're keeping you waiting. And frankly, if you are a Subscriber and/or a Patron and you're not getting what you want? I'm not going to blame you or whine if you decide that we're not worth your time anymore. If you're just here for DBZA and the Gaming channel, and you're not getting what you want? I get it.

All I ask-- not expect, just ask-- is that you give the ShortZ a chance and wait for us to fix up the Gaming channel. We've set up a new stream schedule and are working on recording some new material.

But if you're not interested, I get it. We used to be running on all cylinders, and now we're pulled into the pit while we retool things and prep new projects, finding our feet in a world where DBZA isn't front and center, and we're obviously not killin' it like we used to.
Do what you feel is best. We're going to try and make content that we love, but I'm not going to beg or bargain.
Thank you for your time.

Oct 25, 2017

I should probably watch the Dragon Prince. But the frame rate has me weary...

They also reviewed One Piece Stampede a few days ago. ... They make it pretty clear they barely know a thing about One Piece, and Kaiser reads the manga!

Last edited:

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What is the fuzzy picture on Scott computer at the end of the dragon prince video supposed to be?

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I should probably watch the Dragon Prince. But the frame rate has me weary...

I absolutely hated the frame rate when the show first started.

I kinda got used to it.

Season 2 got a bit better, due to a slight bump in their budget. Either that or, I continued to get used to it.

I don't even care anymore. Show's great. Bring on season 3 (later this month)!

Also, don't watch that video if you haven't been watching the show. It's like, wall-to-wall spoilers (which is the entire point of the video). You probably won't even get the jokes if you don't know the stuff they're referencing.

What is the fuzzy picture on Scott computer at the end of the dragon prince video supposed to be?
"IT'S OGRE 9000?!"

With what appears to be a Shrek face drawn over the typical image of Vegeta crushing his scouter.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

My name is Martin Billany. I'm a content creator who goes by the name of LittleKuriboh on YouTube.

In the last four months, I've been hospitalized three times for Ulcerative Colitis, and had to be taken to the emergency room for a mental lapse brought about by stress/medication/dehydration. This all happened in fairly quick succession and led to medical bills and missing a lot of time at home to work on content.

We are also going to be moving home in the imminent future - something we've had in motion for quite some time, even before I was hospitalized. So as you can imagine, financially this all comes at a very inconvenient and somewhat frightening time.

Your donations will go toward helping us cover medical costs, as well as a lot of the money that I was not able to earn through making consistent YouTube content, and anything extra will go to helping pay for our moving house in the next month.

:(

OP
OP
Arrrammis

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
Man, LittleKuriboh is one of the original abridgers and a genuinely good and entertaining guy. Really hoping he can pull through :(

Looks like the first Dragon Ball Short premieres in 2 hours! (2 pm CST)

Also, Antfish (voice of Barrett in FF7MA and Mr. Satan in DBZA, as well as the director of a lot of stuff) and MasakoX (voice of Goku, Gohan, as well as one of the main writers for Hellsing Abridged and FF7MA) are doing an AMA on reddit right now: https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasy/comments/dvu035/team_four_star_ama_thread/?sort=new

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yes that was pretty great. Nappa implying that he was responsible for a lot of Vegeta's, erm, issues, is absolute gold. The only issue is Baby Trunks' model being a little lacking in quality, but considering we're comparing him to Vegeta and Nappa's DBFZ-based models, it's not too bad, I guess.

Basically, you've got a bunch of talented, aspiring young voice actors who are all friends and who all enjoy playing around with DBZA (as anyone should). Some of them don't take it super-seriously, and then they go on to have normal, successful careers. Others pretty much devote their lives to making DBZA better. But when the second group goes out and tries to get jobs, their prospective employers look and say "Oh, so you're those guys. The ones who break laws and hate copyright. I've heard of you." The love that TFS pours into DBZA is poison for their careers, and they only need to look as far as their circle of friends to see how much damage DBZA is doing to them, professionally speaking.
Fortunately, as far as I'm aware, this is mostly limited to "Toei, and companies directly working with Toei". More than a few companies seem to not actually care about DBZA being 'infringing copyright', we know they're on good terms with Funimation but are otherwise greylisted from being hired by them for anything due to Toei, Bandai Namco have enabled Taka, Lani and Kaiser to do voices for the Xenoverse games, and, well, for pete's sake they're doing the official dub of Hells.

That being said, I imagine there's quite a bit of behind the scenes stuff that we don't know about that's adding to the frustration, with Toei's meddling alone being a frustration factor. I certainly get why they're focusing more on other projects these days, Dragon Shorts in particular opens up a lot of avenues for comedy that don't rely on existing anime footage.

Last edited:

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The new Machinabridge and these shorts are the best tfs things in ages. I was starting to question what happened to their earlier A+ writing, especially with how flat the "in 5 minutes" does felt to me. They started a new nuzlocke today on twitch, hope that'll be amusing... But how they perform for live audiences has me worried it won't be as good as previous nuzlockes they've done.

OP
OP
Arrrammis

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
Do people think DBZA is better written than the original?
IMO: Season 1 is worse (it's pure parody, and several of the jokes haven't aged well, and TFS actively acknowledges that), Freeza saga probably equals out (between the comedy and the changes to match continuity/personalities), and Cell saga is absolutely better written than the original IMO (there's some difference of opinion on 16's speech, but all the rest is gold). The movies vary.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017

That's... some damn good voice acting for Tifa towards the end there.

Personally, FF7 abridged has only gotten better over time since it started

OP
OP
Arrrammis

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think TFS ever wishes they could do a legit DBZ dub?
Probably. It's been their main inspiration and the reason their studio got built. However, they did do the official dub for a scene in the Dragonball Z Kai buu saga: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4Fa9OY2nmM
Which kind of blow my mind honestly. Outside of Dragonball, they've really gotten more involved in the dubbing scene, including doing the dub for Hells with their semi-attached company Sound Cadence Studio (not controlled by TFS, but the founders and owners partner with TFS and do a lot of their voices - the main actress in Hells also is the voice of Android 18 in DBZA, for example)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think TFS ever wishes they could do a legit DBZ dub?

I think they would like the idea more than the actual practice of it. Maybe if someone else wrote the script for them and all they had to do was show up and record voices they'd enjoy it but I think Kaiser would lose his mind rewriting the entire show without cutting stuff out like the way they did.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
I think they would like the idea more than the actual practice of it. Maybe if someone else wrote the script for them and all they had to do was show up and record voices they'd enjoy it but I think Kaiser would lose his mind rewriting the entire show without cutting stuff out like the way they did.

If they were doing an actual dub, the scripting process would be to make the dialogue as accurate as possible while also sounding natural, so it would be quite a bit different from their TFS material. They may punch up the dialogue on occasion for it, but I'd see them trying to release a fairly accurate dub.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
I don't think their voices would really suit a serious DBZ dub. DBZ Kai is really the best dub for the series ever and would be hard to beat.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Welp, there goes most of my interest in Season 4: everything from here on out is going to be like those CGI shorts that they're making, no more footage from the actual series will be used anymore, apparently.

If this is the direction they feel that they need to go, fine, but they shouldn't have promised us Buu Saga to begin with only to change course and make something completely different. What a bummer.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, there goes most of my interest in Season 4: everything from here on out is going to be like those CGI shorts that they're making, no more footage from the actual series will be used anymore, apparently.

If this is the direction they feel that they need to go, fine, but they shouldn't have promised us Buu Saga to begin with only to change course and make something completely different. What a bummer.

Uhhh well at least Lani is looking good

Oct 25, 2017
I can somewhat get it. Years of dealing with Toei headaches, drastic YouTube changes, and a desire to do something more original and not rely on pre-existing footage. They probably wanted to move on from DBZ for a while now, but at the same time know it's something that can't just get rid of. That's my read at least.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I can somewhat get it. Years of dealing with Toei headaches, drastic YouTube changes, and a desire to do something more original and not rely on pre-existing footage. They probably wanted to move on from DBZ for a while now, but at the same time know it's something that can't just get rid of. That's my read at least.
yeah. I view it as a bit disappointing as I'm not a huge fan of how the CGI looks, but at the same time if it is what they need to continue then go for it. It's better than not getting more of something I love.

I also wonder if it will increase the odds they continue onto super or even make their own original story like MasakoX is already doing.

guess we will find out in 5-10 years :P

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017
I'm pretty fine with it. The cg will improve and this'll give them way less headaches.

I'm sure they planned to use footage again but changed their minds later.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, they're kind of stuck in a hard place in adapting the Buu Saga with how YouTube is changing.

Plus, one thing to consider here that I would see as an advantage of adapting the Buu Saga in this original 3D animation style; now TFS have free reign to incorporate the now very much alive Nappa into the Buu Saga if they so desire.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they're kind of stuck in a hard place in adapting the Buu Saga with how YouTube is changing.

Plus, one thing to consider here that I would see as an advantage of adapting the Buu Saga in this original 3D animation style; now TFS have free reign to incorporate the now very much alive Nappa into the Buu Saga if they so desire.

It could also give them free reign to do Super and... GT if they so choose *pffft*
But they could also work outside the realm of Dragon Ball. Maybe go back to Attack on Titan? Or hey, take on the God Emperor of Shonen Jump, One Piece. ... Well, I would say that but that Stampede review left a bad taste. I know Scott reads the manga, but TFS is team effort and they're going to need a big crew of One Piece fans.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
It could also give them free reign to do Super and... GT if they so choose *pffft*
But they could also work outside the realm of Dragon Ball. Maybe go back to Attack on Titan? Or hey, take on the God Emperor of Shonen Jump, One Piece. ... Well, I would say that but that Stampede review left a bad taste. I know Scott reads the manga, but TFS is team effort and they're going to need a big crew of One Piece fans.
The main reason I said super over GT is that GT would require a lot more unique models.