• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
In for Dragon Ball Shorts, great idea that continues to produce Abridged type content but also gets around using the original animation and the problems that come with that. Really sad about Bojack though, its a fun movie and frankly its kinda nice just having more content that doesn't star fucking Goku.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Those dragon Ball shorts may be interesting... But I have to wonder if they are spreading themselves too thin in an attempt to find their next big thing. It's a lot of stuff that feels unfocused. They still have ff7 machinabridge and their animation projects on top of all this new stuff.

I also am starting to think that the loss of hbi2k had something to do with it. He always seemed to be the adult in the room. More of a cool Uncle than a parent, but someone mature enough to get everyone focused.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Dragonball Shorts looks pretty cool. Bummed about the Bojack movie - the first half of the source material is actually pretty entertaining. I thought they'd have a lot of fun with it.

Kroze

Oct 28, 2017
That Unabridged clip was painfully unfunny.

The interesting thing is this concept was talked about yeaaaaarrrrsss ago (around 2010/2011) and some of the old old scripts that were written with it being a mockumentry of "the process" of internet videos was also being done in another way by a group called Loading Ready Run in their series "Loading Time"

Way back when some fun live action shorts were shot with the express idea was that whenever a bunch of the crew was together, they would shoot parts of this live action series in order to have something actually original that would allow TFS (and YGO:TAS) to pivot away from legally grey content into something everyone fully owned (along with another forgotten about idea called "Internet Police").

Honestly that clip of Unabridged was very... meh and lacking in any kinda substance or jokes really.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
That's a shame. I remember in their DBCember list they didn't think Bojack was that bad. Oh well.

This though, this sucks.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
Kinda feels like they are tired of doingDragon Ball Abridged.

Can't blame them. They've been at it for over a decade.

Them receiving death threats over cancelling Bojack won't help. And sucks.

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017
Death threats over fucking Bojack?
How pointless does your life have to be to wish death over a silly video being cancelled.

Hopefully they have a better time with the next movie.

Oct 25, 2017
How pointless does your life have to be to wish death over a silly video being cancelled.

Next movie after Bojack is Broly 2, which they said was the worst movie (barring Episode of Bardock and Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans, but those barely count) but I could see them making something work. Maybe.. Well they could somehow reference the new Broly movie.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda feels like they are tired of doingDragon Ball Abridged.

Can't blame them. They've been at it for over a decade.

Them receiving death threats over cancelling Bojack won't help. And sucks.

Yeah. The sad part is that none of their work outside of DBZA is nearly anywhere close to as good as DBZA itself is when it's firing on all cylinders. I certainly don't wish failure (or death, obviously) on them, but with Abridged having faded into the background for them I really don't think about them at all nowadays, and that's a shame. They're good people.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Bojack getting canceled is a shame, but it's not really surprising. Kaiser has been pretty vocal on Twitter about how much of a complete pain in the ass it was to work on.

There's no reason that anyone should expect them to put a ton of time and effort into a project that just isn't working for them. If TFS had confidence in their ability to do a satisfactory job abridging Bojack, they wouldn't have given up in the first place, so I respect their decision to throw in the towel rather than for force themselves to pump out something that they don't have any faith in.

Going forward, I hope their new projects turn out well. I enjoy their gaming and DnD stuff, so I'm willing to give their other non-DBZA stuff a chance.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Was really looking forward to their version of Bojack too. :(

But if they're hitting constant creative walls with the material, probably best just to shelve it.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Well at least I still have ff7 abridged and Dragon shorts

Also fucking death threats really

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Was really looking forward to their version of Bojack too. :(
I think that's exactly the problem, based on their comments, coming up with their version of Bojack seems like it was a major struggle.

Even among movie villains, he's a total nothing character. At least with Broly they could play off of him and Paragus being Saiyans and "HE'S SO COOL BUT HE'S SO DUMB", and for Cooler they joked about how he's just derivative of Freeza and based his characterization around that, but what do they even have to work with for Bojack? He comes out of nowhere and is a bloodthirsty evil guy who was trapped in King Kai's planet because reasons, that's it, and he barely even interacts with the main cast to boot.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I think that's exactly the problem, based on their comments, coming up with their version of Bojack seems like it was a major struggle.

Even among movie villains, he's a total nothing character. At least with Broly they could play off of him and Paragus being Saiyans and "HE'S SO COOL BUT HE'S SO DUMB", and for Cooler they joked about how he's just derivative of Freeza and based his characterization around that, but what do they even have to work with for Bojack? He comes out of nowhere and is a bloodthirsty evil guy who was trapped in King Kai's planet because reasons, that's it, and he barely even interacts with the main cast to boot.

I mean they've gone back and done/redone early movies late. No reason they can't revisit the project later on down the road if a lightbulb goes off.

Oct 25, 2017
They could figure out something to do for Plan To Eradicate the Saiyans, but they couldn't for Bojack? If they don't want to do it, they shouldn't, but it's kind of weird for me to wrap my head around that. Like I'm surprised it was Bojack of all movies to break them. I am kind of concerned they lost the spark a bit. Was really hyped to see that JoJo thing pop up as a fan of both TFS and JoJo, but it was...not great

Last edited:

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
You know Bojack must've been tough since they had no problem completely rewriting Wheelo

OP
OP
Arrrammis

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
They've put out some tweets, and it sounds like one of the biggest problems is that Bojack and his crew come out of the gate attacking, and don't have any dialogue scenes with the Z warriors, making it almost impossible to created characterization there without creating a bunch of custom footage.

Personally, I'd rather them put that effort in to the otherworld tournament - there's some interesting fights there, plenty of opportunities for fun characters and interactions, and gives some good routes to set up Kai jokes that will keep building throughout the Buu saga!

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Doesn't have to be pointless, you just need such a powerful sense of entitlement that it overrides rational thinking, like when the cashier won't ring up your beer because you didn't bring your ID so you try to get them fired.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Those dragon Ball shorts may be interesting... But I have to wonder if they are spreading themselves too thin in an attempt to find their next big thing. It's a lot of stuff that feels unfocused. They still have ff7 machinabridge and their animation projects on top of all this new stuff.

I also am starting to think that the loss of hbi2k had something to do with it. He always seemed to be the adult in the room. More of a cool Uncle than a parent, but someone mature enough to get everyone focused.
I feel like at the very least losing hbi2k lead to them restructuring a lot of the way they run things and I feel like it's generally been for the worse. I'm honestly not a huge fan of the direction a bunch of their side content like their gaming channel and streaming on twitch have gone since he left tbh, and I used to follow those regularly. I get that they want to work on stuff that they're passionate about and that they want to enjoy making their content, but sometimes it feels a bit like they're unwilling to make enough compromises on that front.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Kaiserneko just posted a more complete explanation of what's going on and plans moving forward over on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/TeamFourSt...ting_the_bojack_record_straight_and_more_from
Pretty much exactly what I was expecting with this announcement. I just didn't think Kaiser would come out and say it so bluntly. They are burnt out on abridging dbz after 11 years, and they want to work on more content that is strictly there's and that they can work on professionally. I just think they're trying to do too much at one time.

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017
Huh, didn't know Hbi2k leaving had that much of an effect on the whole operation.

Wonder what happened to Four Star Bento tho?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The Bojack movie being canceled is disappointing considering the hype from the very beginning of the series. It's not that big of a deal though.

I'm just going to assume DBZA is dead and will be presently surprised if they Buu ever actually happens. The last few years have shown that that they would rather do their own thing.

You know Bojack must've been tough since they had no problem completely rewriting Wheelo
World's Strongest Abridged was terrible though.

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I feel like it's fine if they end at Cell. I was in high school when they started, I remember when KaiserNeko posted the first episode on Kanzenshuu as a "haha hey guys check out this funny video we made" kind of thing. It's gotten almost too big for its own good and I don't blame them at all for feeling burnt out. It's a shame it will be difficult to translate their success on this parody to other creative ventures.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, didn't know Hbi2k leaving had that much of an effect on the whole operation.
While dbza was Kaiser and Lani's baby, hbi2k was the literal CEO of their company. He not only helped write and perform, he ran the business and kept everyone on task. It's not surprising that they've had to do some restructuring and adjusting/growing pains

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'm just going to assume DBZA is dead and will be presently surprised if they Buu ever actually happens. The last few years have shown that that they would rather due their own thing.

That's kind of where I'm at as well. I feel like they've been dancing around the wanting to pull the plug on the project all together but refuse to pull that bandaid off despite how growing disinterested they seem to be.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While dbza was Kaiser and Lani's baby, hbi2k was the literal CEO of their company. He not only helped write and perform, he ran the business and kept everyone on task. It's not surprising that they've had to do some restructuring and adjusting/growing pains
Yeah that is where I've been at for a while. Even their streams and other content changed drastically after his departure.

I don't care to watch TFS Gaming now since it's pretty much just cut down versions of their streams, though I understand for them the way they do it now is likely much more cost effective in working for time and schedules.

Of course I do get their need to find a new niche and break away from Abridging, yet also maintaining their audience. It's a tough business, and I wonder when Cell ended how their subscriber and viewer counts may have changed.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
(Also, and I'll be frank about this: DBZA is a nightmare for our professional lives, and while we fully believe it's parody, top to bottom, it's made it increasingly difficult to operate on a professional level outside of our own team, and constantly puts our channel at risk due to copyright strikes and the threat of legal action.)

Also interesting to see Kaiser confirm the long assumed rumor. I can definitely get the frustration on that part, especially when some of the VAs they've collaborated with like Amber Lee Connors, Justin Briner, and Christopher Guerroro all broke out in anime dubbing.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm guessing that their intention to go more light-hearted and quickfire for their Buu Saga was due to wanting to veer away from the more serious/dramatic tone that their Android/Cell saga sometimes had, since it's harder to argue that it's a comedic parody at that point.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing that their intention to go more light-hearted and quickfire for their Buu Saga was due to wanting to veer away from the more serious/dramatic tone that their Android/Cell saga sometimes had, since it's harder to argue that it's a comedic parody at that point.

Yeah, quite a bit of the Cell Saga played it fairly straight. Sure it still had a comedic edge to it but some scenes worked as mostly serious.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I totally understand Kaiser's point about creative burnout with Abridged. Ten years is a really really long time to work on a comedy series that's constantly under legal threat and that you can't profit directly off of. I totally get it.

I just wish that I felt like they had anything else to offer these days. It's a pretty big bummer of a spot to be in.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I totally understand Kaiser's point about creative burnout with Abridged. Ten years is a really really long time to work on a comedy series that's constantly under legal threat and that you can't profit directly off of. I totally get it.

I just wish that I felt like they had anything else to offer these days. It's a pretty big bummer of a spot to be in.

I haven't watched it much lately but their gaming content still seems to be good. If just because it's clear they do have fun when just hanging out together.

But yeah since Hellsing ended and we're in the lull between Cell and Buu... I haven't felt as much want to keep up with their stuff. Hopefully they find something that really sparks them back to life that truly is their own. There was the one Shonen parody series but no idea whatever happened to it. It was... ok.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Their best gaming content have definitely been the nuzlockes and fallout 4, which is why it's such a huge shame that they aren't doing either till a new game is out in either series.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
Honestly anything with the main 3 on the game channel is the best, along with Nappa and Vegeta wrestling stream.

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017
I'm enjoying their playthrough of shenmue, and I'll always watch when they got a dbz game to play. So their game thing has been good. Grant and Kirran are a joy.

I completely forgot their shonen animation thingy.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that is where I've been at for a while. Even their streams and other content changed drastically after his departure.

I don't care to watch TFS Gaming now since it's pretty much just cut down versions of their streams, though I understand for them the way they do it now is likely much more cost effective in working for time and schedules.

Of course I do get their need to find a new niche and break away from Abridging, yet also maintaining their audience. It's a tough business, and I wonder when Cell ended how their subscriber and viewer counts may have changed.
I know that Grant took over their gaming and streaming stuff (at least initially) when hbi2k left and while I enjoy him in the videos, I agree that i'm Not the biggest fan of his direction in regards to gaming content, especially since they've also just been streaming a lot less too and with a lot less variety.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I imagine they're not going to see buu for a while but I honestly rather they don't force themselves and try out more stuff than a stale dbzabridged

Kaiser has been vocal how much of a pain it was to work on abridged though it's probably because he's the editor