• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I find it amazing this game came out October 2007 and is still consistently in the top 10 most played games daily on Steam. Makes me wonder while Valve never updated the game to add new characters over the years. Would probably give it a huge player count boost.

zA3zufp.png

Last edited:

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I find it amazing this game came out October 2007 and is still consistently in the top 10 most played games daily on Steam. Makes me wonder while Valve never updated the game to add new characters over the years. Would probably give it a huge player count boost.

Valve never added any new characters over the years but they added tons of new content over the years, including weapons that basically changed up the way existing characters (a bow for the sniper that makes him a more close range combat class, a fast building mini sentry for the engineer that gives him extra health and allows for a more aggressive playstyle, weapons for demoman that turns him into a melee character).

TF2 is basically the grandfather of modern games as a service, with large free content updates with paid cosmetics and the first modern lootbox. It's sad that it isn't getting many updates anymore, it's rumored they are working on something but Half Life VR is a pretty big priority at Valve right now and I imagine many of the TF2 people are working on that.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I loved playing it every now and then, never taking things too seriously.

That was until macOS Catalina killed it off.

And I somehow doubt the Mac player base is large enough for Valve to put in the work to make it a 64-bit app.

Oh well.

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
absolutely legendary game

used to get extremely hyped for each update

remember weapon unlocks being tied to acheivments???

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I played TF2 so much back in the day but the end was in sight fo rme when they introduced crates, keys and hats and people contacting you for item trades. I loved it when they introduced the achievements though and you could enable a notification sound when one tick of your achievement triggered.

I just just boot it up again and see what's up.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Probably my favorite team based shooter of all time. Nothing that came after gave me better memories.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
TF2 is always above 40k players with no updates and CSGO is always above 400k

can we stop with the fucking Dota spinoffs and just hire more people to work on these two

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Switch release (at 60fps) when valve?
I can guarantee you that TF2 would not run on Switch at 60 FPS without significant engine changes. The game and engine was designed with 2007 hardware in mind, with powerful single or duel core CPUs and weaker videocards. The game runs pretty poorly on modern hardware for something released in 2007.

jenya

Oct 27, 2017
I remember playing it when it was on The Orange Box, I recently played it again, it's like a whole different game.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
I loved TF2 and played off and on from launch, but I haven't played it in a few years. Is there enough added to keep it interesting still?

TF2 was always entertaining enough to not need stuff added, because this was a game made in the era before matchmaking, where people could still make and play custom maps with ease.

Would love if they did a TF2 Classic, or even, whisper it, TF3.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I loved TF2 and played off and on from launch, but I haven't played it in a few years. Is there enough added to keep it interesting still?

Content has slowed down significantly unfortunately but there's still a ton of content (100+ maps including the Halloween maps that are currently running). The game is in a pretty good spot balance wise as well, in 2015 with Gun Mettle the TF2 team started to balance the game much better than they had been previously (including getting feedback from competitive players).

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
TF2 is always above 40k players with no updates and CSGO is always above 400k

can we stop with the fucking Dota spinoffs and just hire more people to work on these two

Meh, CS doesn't need as many updates as Dota.

Most of the fuckers just wanna play Dust2

It is a bit disappointing it's like 2 years since the last op, but Danger Zone is aight

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The longevity of TF2 is surely interesting - but I think that the constant Garry'sMod numbers are even way crazier

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
TF2 was always entertaining enough to not need stuff added, because this was a game made in the era before matchmaking, where people could still make and play custom maps with ease.

Would love if they did a TF2 Classic, or even, whisper it, TF3.
I have played so many cool custom maps on TF2. That is something I do admittedly miss.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

And because they didn't do that, the game is still in the top 10 after 15 years. Maybe it would give it a short term boost, but it could fall of a cliff in a year or two because the people who played for 10-15 years played it because the game changes not very often.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I remember starting it up when it went free to play and hearing a kid go, "Help! I'm crouched and I can't figure out how to stand back up!" Had a good laugh.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Still impressed Valve had invested in the game's lore when technically they didn't have to. It added an interesting layer to the game, a bonus to an already enjoyable experience.

Nothing like creating mayhem with Pyro, especially against spies.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
And because they didn't do that, the game is still in the top 10 after 15 years. Maybe it would give it a short term boost, but it could fall of a cliff in a year or two because the people who played for 10-15 years played it because the game changes not very often.

The thing is Valve has added a lot of content and made a lot of changes over the years. Lots of new maps, modes and weapons. The thing about most weapons are they typically don't significantly change the classes. Sure there are a few that do (the demoknight stuff and battle engie are the two biggest changes) but even if you haven't played in years you can jump into a game and have a decent idea about what's going on. You may not know the exact stats of the weapon your enemy has but you have a good idea what they can do and how to fight them.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
One of my most played games, absolutely loved playing this with friends for years.
There's no multiplayer shooter released since that I would put above TF2.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite games ever, 3000+ hours on it and almost my entire Steam friends list is made of people I met in the game. Some of which I ended up meeting irl years later :) Ah, the power of community servers...

Pity Valve used it as their experimental ground for hats/skins/crates/mtx out the wazoo :(

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Continued proof that you dont need to homogonize all shooters with contemporary mechanics to still have a popular game.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
I played it all the time until crates came around and I haven't been back since.

GOAT game though for sure, I have 2k+ hours.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man this coming out in a package deal with Portal, Half Life 2 and it's expansion was legendary. Orange Box was amazing for what it was.

Denryu

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I stopped playing after 2010 because i wasn't enjoying a lot of their additions, but damn if i didn't have thousands of hours of fun with this game. I still think its better than OW lol

butterbutt!

Oct 27, 2017
I put almost 3000 hours into this game and I can confidently say the fundamentals are basically perfect. It's a shame the balance, performance, and aesthetic have gradually gotten worse.

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
Fun fact: they still haven't finished their damn comic. Issue one came out in 2013 and the latest issue was 2017. Unbelievable even by Valve standards.

I loved this game so much, last time I tried to play it I had no idea what was happening.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this post on Reddit funnily enough recently:

Most of TF2's player base are bots used for either farming or trading or cheaters idling alts to make their accounts look more legit. We've known about this for awhile because there are a couple of massive refined bot farms ran by a person or two and when they turn off the player count sharply drops. This website tracks the number of players in any server in TF2 world wide.
As of this post Steam is reporting 48,966 players are playing Team Fortress 2.
As of this post that website reports only 6,401 actual players currently in any servers.
Part of why this discrepancy can happen because Steam's API can be told you are in a game even if you do not actually have it open. Idling programs do this (you'll see trading card AFK farm programs do it for example) and it's actually dead simple to do this.
That means 42,565 players are unaccounted for and are:
  • alt accounts used to refined metal bot farm
  • bot accounts used for automated trading & inventory collection/management (auto accepting items into inventory, auto crafting to make space, etc)
  • cheater alts idling for hours to look more legit/cheat in competitive PUG groups that require certain amounts of hours like TF2Center
  • people who are legit just idle on the title screen (obviously this is a small percentage though)

There was also a later post that linked this tweet:

And this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/7wz6b3/tf2_now_dropped_out_of_steams_top_10_and_is_at/

As of this actual post compared to that one:

Steam Stats: 55,575

Actually in servers: 14,555

So it's not actually doing as good as it seems, which definitely explains the slow down the game has received with its updates more than anything IMO. Valve obviously knows that most of the player count at any one time isn't genuine players since they'd look at actual in-game play time internally.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
It's an excellent game. I dropped it when they nerfed my favoured axe + degreaser combination but I clocked 1650 hours in total. Great value for money.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
The Soldier still remains one of the funnest ways to play a multiplayer game ever.

Have not played since 2016 though. Might have to give it a go too see whats up.

But man i just hate snipers and how alot of the game is still kinda choke point focused

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
It's still my go to game for relaxing. I do miss the community oriented days of the past though. Match making was a real double edged sword.