• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
In school I was taught pretty much everything during black history I had to do alot of reports on famous black people and their contribution .

With Black History Month underway, some educators are challenging the way Black history is currently handled in the public education system. Erica Buddington, founder and chief executive officer of curriculum consultant firm Langston League, for example, believes the approach is contrary to how Carter G. Woodson, the "Father of Black History Month," intended.

"While Black history is American history, it is still being taught in a very supplemental way," she tells Yahoo Life. "It is disgusting for Black history to be dwindled down to clubs, posters, quotes and random misrepresentations, but that is where most of our schools are today."

Woodson, a Black writer and historian, wanted Black history to be taught "through nuanced and historically accurate narratives that allow our children to fully understand the diaspora," Buddington, a former middle and high school educator, explained.

According to Jesse Hagopian, teacher of ethnic studies at Seattle's Garfield High School and organizer for the Zinn Education Project, the way Black history is being taught in public schools is "abysmal."

"Most of it is reduced to the enslavement of African peoples," he tells Yahoo Life. "Students learn Black people were oppressed, but they rarely learn about the immense contributions Black people have made to science, mathematics, technology and the advancement of American democracy through Black collective struggle."

CBS News found history is inconsistently taught in U.S. schools, with little mandate regarding what is required learning. For example, school textbooks in seven states do not even mention slavery and eight states use textbooks that omit the civil rights movement.

Hagiopan says the history of heroic uprisings and battles fought by the enslaved for Black freedom is hidden, "so Black kids in this country grow up thinking they have nothing to be proud of, and their entire legacy is one of oppression."

Students are also forced to study historically inaccurate textbooks, he continues. "Egregious examples include the McGraw-Hill geography textbook with a caption on the map saying Africans were brought over as workers — implying they were earning wages."

The same textbook referred to the transatlantic slave trade as immigration. Another textbook claimed enslaved people were treated like members of the family, Hagopian mentioned.

"These are the types of narratives students are learning in school, that slavery wasn't that bad and that [slavery] is all there is to Black history," he said.

"They skip over the Reconstruction Era entirely and move right to Jim Crow, as if there wasn't a wealth of Black abundance that was eradicated by racial violence during that period," she says. "They are really just focused on the 'Master Narrative.'" Racial violence like the Tulsa Race Massacre, which happened a century ago. Sparked by the arrest of a young Black man, white mobs burned a section of Greenwood in Tulsa known as Black Wall Street -- where it is believed more than 300 Black people were killed.

"But, there are pockets of schools trying to deviate from that and adopt historically responsive strategies," she adds.

Buddington says she wishes schools would focus more on what children are learning, rather than spending so much time on standardized testing and policing Black and brown children.

"Your curriculum is not engaging, it does not center Black and brown voices, and it is not reflective of the kids you serve," she says. "When students say, 'I do not want to be here,' you have no counselors but all of these discipline mechanisms to [punish] and expel them."

Hagopian agreed that one of the biggest challenges in the school system is the school-to-prison pipeline.

"Black students are suspended at four times the rate of white students nationally. Black girls are most disproportionately suspended. This leads to students failing their classes and not graduating," he says. "We have a society investing heavily in prisons to warehouse our youth that haven't graduated, rather than investing in support so they can get the education they need."

www.yahoo.com

Teaching Black history in school: ‘Kids need to see joy,’ less trauma, say educators

Is the U.S. education system doing enough to accurately teach Black history?

Last edited:

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of wish we had learned about the Harlem Renaissance in American History class instead of senior level Literature.

Oct 26, 2017
My son's school is failing at teaching just about anything right now related to Black history, even this month. We emailed his teacher, who blew off the question. Guess we'll have to supplement his school learning ourselves at home.

Oct 27, 2017
It was disheartening when I saw so many people first learning about the Tusla Massacre through the Watchmen TV show, of all places

Also if you want to learn why textbooks omit slavery, blame Texas and the religious conservatives, who have a stranglehold on textbook content throughout the entire country

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's all it is though? Black history is shitty because ya'll made it shitty and where proud of it until recently.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
It was disheartening when I saw so many people first learning about the Tusla Massacre through the Watchmen TV show, of all places

Also if you want to learn why textbooks omit slavery, blame Texas and the religious conservatives, who have a stranglehold on textbook content throughout the entire country
I was lucky enough to learn about it in high school, so I was shocked that so many people had never heard about it since I thought it was an obvious detail everyone talked about.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
My (black) college professor said that black history should just be our regular history but shown through the eyes of black people at the time.

I don't know that it's a perfect answer, but seems like it could be better than just focusing on slavery/abolition/the civil rights movement like a lot of places tend to.

Oct 30, 2017
It's funny because a lot of people are actually okay with having a frank discussion about the relationship between settlers/colonizers and Native Americans.

"But think of the children!" runs rampant when talking about slavery or black history.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. A lot of my Black History education in school was about a few key historical figures, and the general timeline of slavery --> Jim Crow --> civil rights. It's a depressing overview and gives the impression that development and contributions to the culture at large, and general opposition to white supremacy, weren't simultaneously happening, which in turn has the affect of making black folks feel passive or as if there is nothing exciting to learn about us.

What's even sadder is that is all by design.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like some people are just reading the title and not understanding what the article is about. The educators are complaining that they're only teaching that Black people were slaves and jumping from the Civil War to Jim Crow. There is little discussion of the achievements Black Americans have made, of the fact that Tulsa existed at all, etc.

Oct 27, 2017
Ok then start making life joyful instead of traumatic for people...

I think you're missing the point that it's literally only the trauma spoken of, and as if it was solely things that happened in the distant past, and if it's more relevant it's only a few major civil rights activists (ie. just MLK Jr and Rosa Parks, maybe Malcolm X if it's a HS class). It ignores the fact black people have had key figures in all walks of life and industry. Seems like we really only learn about this stuff through pop culture (TV/movies).

I'm also realizing I only learned about sundown towns when I first read Lovecraft Country, another fact I should have learned in school

It's also sad how I remember learning about Ben Carson, how now he's completely tarnished his reputation

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
Piss off. Also start teaching kids about Malcolm X.
There is a lot of people they should teach about from modern-ish figures like James Baldwin or Adam Clayton Powell, Jr. to more distant figures like Kocc Barma Fall or Olaudah Equiano.

If we go down the path of inventors, there is lots of things they could and should teach there too. The one jumps up off the top of my head is why Lewis Howard Latimer is never mentioned when we talk about Edison and the light bulb.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely assumed from the thread title that this was going to be some fragile white people being like "kids should only learn about happy things, so we should take all that slavery stuff out of the curriculum."
I'm glad that's not what this was.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I can somewhat agree with this, I distinctly remember everytime we talked about black history it would usually end up leaving me depressed or angry

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
I'd agree if it wasn't for the fact that they not only obscure and disorent the harsher tragedties of our people, but they don't even higlight the accomplishments of those who do without sanitizing it to fit a white-freindly perspecitve. Hell, the edcuation system doesn't even recognize or make an effort to recongnize those who did bring joy or knowledges to the sciences, arts, and cuture for black people or society at large which is why we essentially get the "greatest hits" treatment when it comes to BHM. I'm perosonally thankful I had a thirst for knowledge and had access to sufficent resources as a kid when it comes to science and history sources.

That's not to say we shouldn't do that or that we don't, but there needs to be an effort from more than just us to recongnize our strides and accomplishments.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
There is an argument to be made you should wait til kids are slightly older to teach them the dark and depressing stuff but it needs to be learned.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
It is true that traumatizing children with harsh realities will shape them for life. It is also true that black kids had to be traumatized by harsh realities that would shape them for the rest of their lives by default.

So the argument that you don't want to traumatize children is not a bad argument to make. But teachers should also then be applying that thinking when evaluating how best to engage black and brown kids when they sometimes might seem checked out. Their trauma is unique.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
There is an argument to be made you should wait til kids are slightly older to teach them the dark and depressing stuff but it needs to be learned.
Sure but, it shouldn't all be dark and depressing. Its a tragic fact of America that much of Black History is dark and depressing and, that part of the history should absolutely be taught. However, there are parts that are lighter, like the Harlem Renaissance, and that should be taught as well.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I think you're missing the point that it's literally only the trauma spoken of, and as if it was solely things that happened in the distant past, and if it's more relevant it's only a few major civil rights activists (ie. just MLK Jr and Rosa Parks, maybe Malcolm X if it's a HS class). It ignores the fact black people have had key figures in all walks of life and industry. Seems like we really only learn about this stuff through pop culture (TV/movies).
Yeah, I remember when Hidden Figures came out and going to see it turned into An Event for a bunch of kids, but it shouldn't take a big Hollywood movie in the first place for people to know about them.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We need both

The bad shit is too impactful, too numerous, and still ongoing, and needs to be learned about. It's also important to teach about all the accomplishments we've had in spite of all of that, and the positive impact we've had and continue to have on society as a whole

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I'm not sugar coating the atrocities of this country or this world from my kids. They need to realize what horrific things done and still being done.

I think the argument here is that kids need to be taught about Black scientists, artists, historians, etc. and not just solely the trauma inflicted on the Black community. I agree with it. Teaching the atrocities should coincide with teaching uplifting stories and the achievements of Black people from all walks of life.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Joy would be about perseverance amidst a country that still sees people as a third of a person. There's nothing feel good about racism, as it's beliefs are entirely the source of trauma.

The source of trauma isn't the report, it's the thoughts people had that created trauma in others.

Dec 30, 2020
I learmed more about Frederick Douglass in an epic rap battle than I did in school.

Bleh, I can't phrase this correctly. The history books I was exposed to in highschool always framed black people as haplessly going from tragedy to tragedy, and maybe bringing up one or two people, like George Washington Carver.

Never once did a teacher stop and point out things like the rennaisance and financial success... that all got stomped all over by white folks over and over again each time things were going well.

Last edited:

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Piss off. Also start teaching kids about Malcolm X.

This going to school in the UK they did tech the civil rights movement in America but Malcolm was completly irrelevant. They didn't mention him at all.

I disagreed with his pre Islam ideology but man his speeches were amazing. The way he spoke was just immense. Considering he spoke at Oxford University it was ridiculous his place in the civil rights movement was ignored.

His speech about the march on Washington is one of the greatest. A truly intelligent charismatic and funny guy.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. A lot of my Black History education in school was about a few key historical figures, and the general timeline of slavery --> Jim Crow --> civil rights. It's a depressing overview and gives the impression that development and contributions to the culture at large, and general opposition to white supremacy, weren't simultaneously happening, which in turn has the affect of making black folks feel passive or as if there is nothing exciting to learn about us.

What's even sadder is that is all by design.

I don't even think my school even really went into Jim Crow too much. It was really barebones. Sure did talk about slavery a lot tho... :\

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
People should read the article. The first part talks about how many schools tackle black history abysmally because they whitewash and gloss over it. But the title quote is in a different context.
"Studies have shown student performance increases when students see themselves in the curriculum — they become more invested in what they are learning," Hagopian says. "More important than for academic success, for their own sense of self-worth."

Buddington emphasizes that teaching Black history cannot be limited to highlighting Black trauma. "It is important for anyone delivering historical instruction or content about Black, Latinx and Indigenous people to provide nuance," she says. "All the books are about police brutality and protests, or movements about struggle and pain. Kids need to see joy. They need to be able to dream and imagine."

They aren't saying we need to whitewash history, they are saying that we also need to teach kids about black accomplishments. It's the same reason representation is important in media. Kids need to see themselves in the things they learn, the media they consume, and in the world around them.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it makes sense. I feel like outside of specific things related to slavery, segregation, and other traumas, many people only learn about the positives of black history from like... social media (which is also often misleading or incorrect).

If the point of representation is to include black people and give black kids something to look up to and aspire to. Focusing only on the negatives of black American history is a natural roadblock to that.

Not to mention how many people of other races should be aware, too. Let them perceive black people as more, and when they get older, they'll be able to see black people in more roles than slave or criminal.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of horrible history that nobody knows about and now people want to keep it hidden
I said this in Discord but I'll expound

"Hey, isn't it kind of fucked up that the only time white people want to give black art notable recognition is when it's like...fucking slave and Jim Crow movies? Isn't it kind of fucked up that when music sites want to show solidarity with BLM, they post songs about oppression and shit, like, "Move On Up" or "Good Times" is nowhere to be found? Wouldn't it be better if positive contributions and black culture outside of a lens of suffering were highlighted more alongside our struggles?

"No? We just have to keep being characterized as victims of brutalization until King made everything better? Okay."

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
This feels close to one of those accidently leftist moments.

Maybe the way to have the kids see more joy would be to give black folks more moments of joy in their history? Maybe, just maybe?

Until then, piss off.

And it's not like there hasn't been positive moments in black history. I wonder what these people think about teaching World War 2? We sure wouldn't want to make those kids feel sad.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said this in Discord but I'll expound

"Hey, isn't it kind of fucked up that the only time white people want to give black art notable recognition is when it's like...fucking slave and Jim Crow movies? Isn't it kind of fucked up that when music sites want to show solidarity with BLM, they post songs about oppression and shit, like, "Move On Up" or "Good Times" is nowhere to be found? Wouldn't it be better if positive contributions and black culture outside of a lens of suffering were highlighted more alongside our struggles?

"No? We just have to keep being characterized as victims of brutalization until King made everything better? Okay."

Yup. The music sites thing is also something I've been thinking about. They put out reading lists, etc., and it's always self-reflective stuff or something to do with civil rights.

Just post how we're part of the everyday. I think people will be more willing to read/listen, too. Because it'll be more casual, and people can go "oh, a black person created this thing that fits my interests." "Oh, a black person starred in this fun thing." "Oh, a black person wrote this thing."

(Alongside the other stuff ofc)

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
We should definitely remember all the good times during slavery. That's what racists keep telling me anyways.

Mar 18, 2020
Man, I know no one reads past titles but damn

Anyway yeah, the most my high school did during BHM was show Roots. The achievements and spectrum of black life and America and the degree of contribution black people made and make in keeping it running are downplayed and hidden to an insane degree. People outside of the country are often more knowledgeable than US citizens.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. The music sites thing is also something I've been thinking about. They put out reading lists, etc., and it's always self-reflective stuff or something to do with civil rights.

Just post how we're part of the everyday. I think people will be more willing to read/listen, too. Because it'll be more casual, and people can go "oh, a black person created this thing that fits my interests." "Oh, a black person starred in this fun thing." "Oh, a black person wrote this thing."

(Alongside the other stuff ofc)
Agreed. The parts of black culture I like learning about the most are the general cultural practices and beliefs, the arts, and different accomplishments and firsts. That's not to say I am not keenly aware of how anti-black oppression works, but I don't want to constantly immerse myself in the fact that we're oppressed every single second of my learning experience lol. Even in the worst of times, we're still people with fully-fledged stories to tell.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
This reductive shit helps literally nothing.
I think you read my comment out of context.

I didn't mean to apply it to this particular discussion, but just the perspective of the typical curriculum involving black history, and how educators tend to go directly into that direction first, rather than trying to expand upon a more whole curriculum that covers so much more.

And the racists that keeps pushing these kinds of narratives of the current curriculum, or trying to change that curriculum to include these asinine and reductive perspectives, is exactly why the current issues are there.

I guess my comment didn't come off as sardonic enough, so sorry for the confusion.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Learning about the shitty stuff makes kids not do the shitty stuff when they grow up.

Edit: I will take the L for only reading the title. Yeah kids need to see that positive movements work, not just the negative ones.

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I remember learning positive Black History stuff when I was kid, but I don't remember if it was from school or from Nickelodeon.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think you read my comment out of context.

I didn't mean to apply it to this particular discussion, but just the perspective of the typical curriculum involving black history, and how educators tend to go directly into that direction first, rather than trying to expand upon a more whole curriculum that covers so much more.

And the racists that keeps pushing these kinds of narratives of the current curriculum, or trying to change that curriculum to include these asinine and reductive perspectives, is exactly why the current issues are there.

I guess my comment didn't come off as sardonic enough, so sorry for the confusion.
A "/s" was definitely necessary there, lol. No worries. Sorry for my pointedness.