• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Just how fucking difficult is it to address someone as they wish to be addressed, nobody has a problem using nicknames or shortened forms of a name in professional environments (hell, you'll often find teachers asking for students preferred names at the start) and yet whenever it comes to a transgender individual suddenly basic respect goes out the window in favour of "it's my religious right to be an asshole".

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Dude. Is it so fucking hard to just respect other humans wishes WRT their fucking lives?

Like, lets say you are some asshole and you think Trans people are just making it up for the, lets say attention and general hedonistic decay of society because you are some backwater prick who can't try to empathize with another human going through some really hard shit. I *still* don't understand why you can't just call them what they fucking want. Like, who cares? It doesn't affect you. Even if it is "made up" why the fuck does it matter? ESPECIALLY when you are told you will be fired if you keep acting like an idiot*

*note: I personally disagree with the above paragraph completely, I'm just playing devils' advocate here because it's stupid on every fucking level.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Vlaming once remarked that he "missed the female version of the student," ABC reported.

So this isn't a religious or ideology thing, it's a creepy fucker who was attracted to a female student but is now uncomfortable being attracted to a male student thing.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats, dipshit. You got fired and you guaranteed that a kid will be bullied and harassed.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. My only concern is that the student will now be harassed and bullied by kids who liked this teacher.

Hopefully everything turns out okay for him :(

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People really like to use their religion as some moral fucking high-ground to treat other people like shit.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I think I remember hearing a similar story. Is this the same guy?

OT: glad the school did the right thing.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Bible instructs you on how to beat your slave and your wife.

...Methinks maybe we should just stop using the bible altogether.

But then people will have to believe in themselves and reflect on their actions and points of view, possibly changing their stance for the better of humanity. It's much easier to selectively follow the rules of an old book.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Losing your job because you're a fucking dumbass hung up on some words... Their own fault. Ridiculous fucking people.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
"Conforming to someone else's beliefs" is called partaking in society. These folks are also the first to complain when students answer the call to prayer. Like, if you want to be isolated in your beliefs join a cult otherwise get on with your job.
Yeah like really if he's really there to be a teacher to support and teach these kids. Then he'd be supporting them with this, but clearly people value a book over people.

but hey what can we do right?

replicantUK

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Using your faith as a means of defense of not acting as a decent human being and respecting someone is piss poor.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
'It's not fair to judge someone for their beliefs'

I'm sorry, but, fucking what?

Firstly, in what world does that make sense? Seriously, a person's beliefs are a rock solid foundation for judging them. What a person believes in is the core of who they are. Whether they be religious or not, they form the basis of everything that person is.

Secondly, he wasn't judged for his beliefs. He was judged for his actions! If the bloke had believed trans people don't have the right to exist, but put that aside and continued to do his job, he wouldn't have been fired! Hell, no one would have even known he was a bigot if he just did what his job called for and respected his students.

Oct 27, 2017
This is a good lesson for the trans student. You can't waste any energy trying to change people. And y'all need to stop seriously asking what makes it so hard for people to accept this, trans people aren't aliens that arrived last week. People have spent years justifying their beliefs about them.

Forrest Rohde, a junior at the high school, said it's not fair to punish Vlaming because of his beliefs, WRIC reported.

"I'm just outraged about it," Rohde told WRIC. "He's a really nice guy, he wanted to do everything about his students. He really does care about his students.

"The thing he will not do is change his ways of thoughts and believing in things just to conform to someone else's ideologies."

The student in this quote is at best willfully ignorant but it shows that it's a strongly held, core belief for Vlaming in how he believes gender should work.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
Literally Rule #1 of being a teacher is fostering an environment that's conducive to learning for all of your students. What a shitbag.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean it's just so petty, is the teacher a grow up Cartman from South Park? "Nuh uh! You're chick... lalalala! You're a chick!"

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So he's fine with using a masculine name but not masculine pronouns? How the fuck is that even logical?

Nov 2, 2017
So he's fine with using a masculine name but not masculine pronouns? How the fuck is that even logical?

Lots of names don't necessarily signal the gender of the person, and on top of that, name changes have been a thing forever and not really a thing he could raise a stink about. His entire position is about not actually recognizing that his student is male, and recognizing a change of name doesn't require him to do that.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is basically a teacher bullying a student in front of the entire student body, using their position of authority to demean and belittle the student. It's completely unacceptable behavior for a teacher, regardless of the teacher's religious beliefs. That applies to any student identity, whether it be their own religion (Islam or Judaism, for example), or their sexual orientation, or their race, or their gender identity.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is just basic courtesy and respect so hard for some people? Guy deserves to be fired for treating a student that way.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I have coworkers who do the whole "I just won't use ANY pronouns" game. It's obvious, and yes, it makes a person feel ostracized and singled out.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of the time when I was talking to a friend and he said he shares Ben Shapiro's view on refusing to call transgender folks by their new preferred pronouns. It comes down to the fact that despite going through surgeries and chemical treatments, transgender folks still have their original chromosomes. As such, even if it sounds dickish, people should be able to refer that person by their biological gender based on chromosomes. Now I had this huge argument with him about doctors, government's and sporting authorities all starting to agree on transgender people with their new gender, and if it's good enough with them, I think there's merits to it. He just says that it's due to leftist pressure and that's why these officials caved. I am at a loss of what I can say to convince him 😰 how do you even convince those people?

He also used an example that let's say Trump said something unscientific about climate change and somebody can sound like a total jerk to Trump to tell him why he's wrong and point to the science. Basically, he said it's ok because sometimes truth hurts.

Last edited:

Ushiromiya

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
This reminds me of the time when I was talking to a friend and he said he shares Ben Shapiro's view on refusing to call transgender folks by their new preferred pronouns. It comes down to the fact that despite going through surgeries and chemical treatments, transgender folks still have their original chromosomes. As such, even if it sounds dickish, people should be able to refer that person by their biological gender based on chromosomes. Now I had this huge argument with him about doctors, government's and sporting authorities all starting to agree on transgender people with their new gender, and if it's good enough with them, I think there's merits to it. He just says that it's due to leftist pressure and that's why these officials caved. I am at a loss of what I can say to convince him 😰 how do you even convince those people?

Start referring to your friend with female pronouns and tell her you won't stop until she produces a karotype test that proves XY chromosomes.

You're not going to convince someone who listens to Ben Shapiro to change their mind. All you can do is illustrate how silly their logic is. The vast majority of people have never had their atcual chromsosomes tested, so clearly we should refrain from using any sort of gendered pronouns for anyone until they can show the receipts!

Last edited:

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
I taught several classes back as a graduate student and I can't think of why I would even be using any pronouns. That may be due to the subject matter I taught never lent itself to discussions where I needed to refer to a student while talking to a different student. While I never did remember even half of my student's names, if someone personally requested a different pronoun, I think it would be trivial to just remember their name and remove any pronoun use entirely.

So having gone through some teaching, I can say that if this issue comes up repeatedly about the same student, it simply means the teacher is doing this maliciously.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
What's the pronoun he didn't want to use?
Is reading the OP that hard? The teacher refused to call a trans male student "he". Literally first line of the quoted article:

Before he was fired for refusing to use male pronouns for a transgender student

Also

It quotes the teacher as saying: "I won't use male pronouns with a female student that now identifies as a male though I did agree to use the new masculine name but avoid female pronouns."

grunkleFungus

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
NC, US
It's really hard to have people not respect your pronouns. This guy must've been so nervous and scared to try and correct his teacher's horseshit. Beginning transition is hard enough without a teacher being creepy about "missing the female version." Honestly, I can see part of the reason of him being fired (beyond being a shit about a trans student) being that he has had a history of creepy remarks like that. Usually in these sorts of stories there's more history of the fired person behind the decision.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My faith says that asshole deserves to starve on the streets

and the sweetest part is that it's more likely to come true than his worthless wishes

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not being a dick doesn't violate anyone's religious beliefs. Treating a kid with some dignity and respect doesn't make you a supporter of trans people

Oct 27, 2017
I taught several classes back as a graduate student and I can't think of why I would even be using any pronouns. That may be due to the subject matter I taught never lent itself to discussions where I needed to refer to a student while talking to a different student. While I never did remember even half of my student's names, if someone personally requested a different pronoun, I think it would be trivial to just remember their name and remove any pronoun use entirely.

So having gone through some teaching, I can say that if this issue comes up repeatedly about the same student, it simply means the teacher is doing this maliciously.

Yeah, pretty clear its malicious. Allows him to go on his anti trans religious persecution kick. His patreon will do well among regressives.

I'm glad the bigoted idiot was fired. Respect your students or get canned.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I'm sorry but using your religion to justify discrimination is bullshit. Glad it was 5-0.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
I have a trans friend and a trans family and I'm like ok cool!

It never once crossed my mind that I was a victim to someone else's ideologies or some shit.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Jesus Christ people are willing to die on any hill it seems. He couldn't just say the fucking words...

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He also used an example that let's say Trump said something unscientific about climate change and somebody can sound like a total jerk to Trump to tell him why he's wrong and point to the science. Basically, he said it's ok because sometimes truth hurts.

Basically these kinds of arguments exist because they don't know the science behind all of it. They feel that trans people are just making it all up for who knows what reason. When someone brings up something like that, I think its helpful to point towards the biological aspects as well as the ridiculous of relying on chromosomes for people.

The vast majority of people have never had a karyotype test done and do not know their exact chromosomes. Most people can make the reasonable assumption that if they're male that they have XY, but that's not always the case. There are people who have XY chromosomes and without any outside intervention go through a female puberty completely. This is known as XY androgen insensitivity syndrome. There is a lot more variance to chromosomes past XX and XY as well, but just that example on its own should be enough to realize it's not that simple. You could also ask your friend what he would do if he had a karyotype test that revealed he was XX. Would he suddenly identify as a woman, or what realistically would that change for him in his life?

Beyond that, trying to say that it's unscientific to be trans ignores that while we don't know the specific reason that makes someone trans, we can tell that there is a biological component to it somewhere. You can read more about it in these examples :

A twin study published in the International Journal of Transgenderism found that 33% of identical twin pairs were both trans, compared to only 2.6% of non-identical twins who were raised in the same family at the same time, but were not genetically identical."

(Source: http://www.hawaii.edu/PCSS/biblio/articles/2010to2014/2013-transsexuality.html)

"Several studies have found a correlation between gender identity and brain structure.[7] A first-of-its-kind study by Zhou et al. (1995) found that in a region of the brain called the bed nucleus of the stria terminalis (BSTc), a region which is known for sex and anxiety responses (and which is affected by prenatal androgens),[8] male-to-female trans women had a female-normal BSTc size (like cisgender women) and female-to-male trans men had a male-normal size. While the transsexuals studied had taken hormones, this was accounted for by including non-transsexual male and female controls who, for a variety of medical reasons, had experienced hormone reversal. The controls still had sizes typical for their gender. No relationship to sexual orientation was found"

(Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_transsexuality#Brain_structure)

"David Peter Reimer was a Canadian man born physically male but reassigned as a girl and raised female following medical advice and intervention after his penis was accidentally destroyed during a botched circumcision in infancy.

Psychologist John Money oversaw the case and reported the reassignment as successful and as evidence that gender identity is primarily learned. Academic sexologist Milton Diamond later reported that Reimer's realization he was not a girl crystallized between the ages of 9 and 11, and he transitioned to living as a male at age 15. Well known in medical circles for years anonymously as the "John/Joan" case, Reimer later went public with his story to help discourage similar medical practices. He later committed suicide after suffering years of severe depression, financial instability, and a troubled marriage"

(Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer)

I did pull this thread together a while back as well, which might help you to better explain things to your friend if you need to. And if you have any questions about it, feel free to ask in that thread or PM me.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/transgender-101.25656/

Oct 27, 2017

Look up Contrapoints on Youtube. She has a video called "Pronouns" that deals with this exact issue. In fact, she illustrated her points using a video with Ben Shapiro and a right wing trans woman discussing pronouns, the the right wing trans woman actually has an excellent analogy explaining why it's not just polite, but logical and proper to refer to a trans person by their preferred pronouns.

Shapiro, of course, takes away nothing from the conversation because it's in his best financial interest to never change his mind.

Basically these kinds of arguments exist because they don't know the science behind all of it. They feel that trans people are just making it all up for who knows what reason. When someone brings up something like that, I think its helpful to point towards the biological aspects as well as the ridiculous of relying on chromosomes for people.

The vast majority of people have never had a karyotype test done and do not know their exact chromosomes. Most people can make the reasonable assumption that if they're male that they have XY, but that's not always the case. There are people who have XY chromosomes and without any outside intervention go through a female puberty completely. This is known as XY androgen insensitivity syndrome. There is a lot more variance to chromosomes past XX and XY as well, but just that example on its own should be enough to realize it's not that simple. You could also ask your friend what he would do if he had a karyotype test that revealed he was XX. Would he suddenly identify as a woman, or what realistically would that change for him in his life?

Beyond that, trying to say that it's unscientific to be trans ignores that while we don't know the specific reason that makes someone trans, we can tell that there is a biological component to it somewhere. You can read more about it in these examples :

I did pull this thread together a while back as well, which might help you to better explain things to your friend if you need to. And if you have any questions about it, feel free to ask in that thread or PM me.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/transgender-101.25656/

I've also heard there's evidence to suggest that sex is not a dimorphic system,but is a far more complicated convergence of several systems that clusters around two forms, what we call male and female, but isn't necessarily born from those forms. But I lack the biological knowhow and research wizardry to look into it myself.

Last edited: