• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Leclair

May 3, 2021
Denmark
I listen to a lot of music in many different genres. My main genres are rap, synth-pop and EDM, but I also dabble in jazz, folk, rock, and classical. One of the few main-genres I've never really dived into, is country. I know a few songs from Johnny Cash and Hank Williams, but that's about it.

So give me your favorite country songs, Era. I need me some of that good shitkicker music!

Oh and inb4 Billy Ray Cyrus - Achy Breaky Heart. WeAreLaughing.gif

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
First reply mentioning Orville Peck wins. His first album Pony is an all time classic but the new album Bronco is great too.
If you like folk and rock, Neil Young is the obvious start. His albums Harvest, Harvest Moon, Old Ways, A Treasure, and Comes a Time are great country (and country-rock) albums. Old Ways and A Treasure are genuine country.
Uncle Tupelo (as well as the first few Son Volt albums and the first two Wilco records* [plus the most recent Wilco album Cruel Country]) are highly recommended. When it comes to Uncle Tupelo, their last album, Anodyne is their best but Still Feels Gone and the March album is really good too. March 16-20, 1992 is an acoustic album and Still Feels Gone is punk country hybrid (alt-country!!!) meanwhile Anodyne combines everything into a very cohesive whole.
Jason Isbell is great, check out The Nashville Sound.
However, the best recommendation I can give you is Songs: Ohia and Magnolia Electric Co (two projects by Jason Molina). His discography is huge, but in terms of country/country-rock/alt-country, check out:
Songs: Ohia - Magnolia Electric Co (if nothing else check out the song Farewell Transmission)
Magnolia Electric Co - What Comes After The Blues (the band changed their name from Songs: Ohia to Magnolia Electric Co after the record above came out)
Magnolia Electric Co - Nashville Moon (probably on streaming services as Sojourner Part 1)
Magnolia Electric Co - Josephine

*Wilco stopped being country after these records but their still great while Son Volt just kept being country and never hit the highs of their first records, IMHO.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
WillieNelsonRedHeadedStrangeralbumcover.jpg

Listen to this and thank me later.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Alternative country is a great starting point for enjoying country music as it has a lot of crossover with rock music and tends to avoid some of the more questionable elements of (modern) country music.

Here's a pretty good Spotify playlist with some classics of the genre:
open.spotify.com

Alt Country Classics

Alt Country Classics · Playlist · 75 songs · 91.4K likes

As for individual songs, I really love Elephant by Jason Isbell.

View: https://youtu.be/jVNd3_4ZJ0g

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
I'm interested as well. I was driving home from work one day and decided to give country music on the radio a chance. I found a station and started listening. I lasted thirty seconds.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like modern country at all, but the Ken Burns PBS documentary "Country Music" is a fascinating history lesson on country music in the decades before it became primarily about marrying your cousins and fucking your pickup truck redneck shit.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Big fan of John Denver. He's just so wholesome and pure. Love Annie Song - Such a great song.

My Wife turned me on to him and always knew of him but never gave him a solid listen.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
I don't like modern country at all, but the Ken Burns PBS documentary "Country Music" is a fascinating history lesson on country music in the decades before it became primarily about marrying your cousins and fucking your pickup truck redneck shit.
I gave up on the show after few episodes as I find Ken Burns' style of making documentaries a bit too dry but the show's soundtrack is a really great primer on country history even on itself.

open.spotify.com

Country Music - A Film by Ken Burns (The Soundtrack) [Deluxe]

Various Artists · Compilation · 2019 · 105 songs.

OP
OP
Leclair

Leclair

May 3, 2021
Denmark
Another absolute favorite.

"I could build me a castle of memories just to have somewhere to go" is one of the greatest lines in music history.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB_2CUj3y6Y

I'll put Colter Wall out there as well.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmxKsK90L14
www.youtube.com

Colter Wall | "Cowpoke" | Western AF

Western AF presents: Colter Wall | " Cowpoke" We met up with CW at the Hanger in Bar Nunn, WY. He said he wanted to share a song that spoke to the landscape ...

These two sounds great at first listen too!

Big fan of John Denver. He's just so wholesome and pure. Love Annie Song - Such a great song.

My Wife turned me on to him and always knew of him but never gave him a solid listen.
I like me some John Denver too, but I've always thought of his music as more folk than country

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
im not american but german and i really enjoy old country, modern country at least mainstream is dog shit, but blues/jazz/old hip hop is something americans can be proud of contributing to the world music. as a guitarist myself i like old country a lot because its seriously impressive guitar skills

i'm actually a metal head but i love old country and blues, so i'm always in the look out of all these genres

subbing

Jetsun Mila

Apr 7, 2021
www.youtube.com

Nomadic Revery (All Around)

Provided to YouTube by DominoNomadic Revery (All Around) · Bonnie 'Prince' BillyI See A Darkness℗ 1999 Domino Recording Co LtdReleased on: 2008-05-17Music P...

Bonnie Prince Billy goes pretty close to country but is also heavy on folk. "I see a Darkness" is incredibly bleak but so powerful.

www.youtube.com

Walking in Space

Provided to YouTube by BWSCD, Inc.Walking in Space · The DeerDo No Harm℗ 2019 Keeled Scales. 2019 Keeled ScalesReleased on: 2019-11-01Producer: The DeerCompo...
and while I certainly don't like everything from The Deer, "Walking In Space" is a masterpiece and one of the songs I never can get enough. How it switches to that Slowcore tune about 4 minutes in to a quick country-folk while still keeping that intense melancholic feeling, damn.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Did not know what I was expecting but man Orville Peck has an amazing voice.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Im a massive fan of Alison Krauss & Union Station. They're sorta bluegrass/country, where basically every member is a super pro at their instruments.

Here's one of my favorites.
"Stay"
youtu.be

Stay

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupStay · Alison KraussForget About It℗ 1999 Rounder Records Corp.Released on: 1999-01-01Composer Lyricist: Allyson...

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Tyler Childers is easily my favorite. Absolutely fell in love with his music when I heard it a few years ago.

youtu.be

Tyler Childers - Nose On The Grindstone | OurVinyl Sessions

Get new music in your inbox every Friday - https://bit.ly/3tm817hPlease click those like and subscribe buttons. It helps us keep doing what we are doing!We a...

youtu.be

Tyler Childers - Follow You To Virgie

Red Barn Radio welcomes Tyler Childers in a return visit of this Louisa, Kentucky-based musician. Tyler is an amazing performer, releasing his fist album at...

Cabana Boy

Oct 28, 2017
Another absolute favorite.

"I could build me a castle of memories just to have somewhere to go" is one of the greatest lines in music history.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB_2CUj3y6Y

Favourite of mine too. Along with " If I could only fly". The Mike Judge Presents: Tales from the Tour Bus episode of him, the Duct Tape Messiah is very good. What a tragic story.

Also
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLpNNjILJH0&ab_channel=TownesVanZandt

Venture

Oct 25, 2017