• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
written by Kako Someya... I don't know but I am assuming that she might not have been able to translate it to english well.

Angela Aki's version has proper grammar if it really bothers you that much.

"Whenever I sang"
"If a frown is shown"
And a few other fixes.

THANK YOU. The song was originally written with English lyrics but it's pretty clear that Kako Someya doesn't exactly have the best fluency in English, thus resulting in some pretty clear Engrish.

Angela Aki on the other hand grew up between Japan and Hawaii and is fluent in both Japanese and English. She corrects the lyrics when she performs the song.

Here's a video with better audio quality:

Angela also wrote the lyrics to Kiss Me Good-Bye from FFXII.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's one of the most famous celebrities in China. It's like they would have gotten Michael Jackson.

Nobody performing Final Fantasy songs after that were anywhere near as big. Hikaru Utada for Kingdom Hearts is the only one even slightly comparable.

Actually Lara Fabian from Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within is bigger than Faye Wong and it isn't even close.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I knew it was "written in FFVIII's world" by Julia about Laguna. It gets really Asian drama-y regarding that song and how the relationships eventually panned out. Julia liked Laguna and vice versa but it was never meant to be. They'd both move on, have children of their own and those children would end up being the ones hooked up. They weren't aware of it during the Ragnarok scene, but it playing was basically "Yeah, Squall, Rinoa, your parents liked each other... and now y'all do!"

I say Asian drama (though I've watched quite a few K-dramas) because that hopping back and forth between the past and present seems to be a thing in FFVIII. There's also the whole "30 years ago I was in love with you, and you were in love with me, but something happened and we went our separate ways, had our own families and you died, but now in modern times, as fate would have it, our children have fallen in love with each other.", and the love's isn't total smitten, but they guy always acts hard-headed and cold, and the girl sometimes is playful and a brat...

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
How could you possibly miss this? I never even finished FFVIII but it's made 100% explicit in the game.

Also what the hell is TDIL? To Day I Learned? :D

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
This thread has me tempted to replay FF8 which is unfortunate since I am slowly making my way through Ass Creed Odyssey at the moment. It's been about 18 years since I last played it. I have the Steam version.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
This...wasn't exactly a secret. :P

Interesting timing for this thread, though. I was at a karaoke place a couple nights ago, and was amazed to find this song among the selections. Legendary.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand...what did you think the song was about?

I think lots of people don't pay attention to lyrics in songs, or could've thought it was just a generic love song. Then again I've personally forgotten 98% of the story in this game so I don't really know how obvious it's supposed to be that it's Julia actually singing.

I don't see how that's relevant...

This made the thread though, lol.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think lots of people don't pay attention to lyrics in songs, or could've thought it was just a generic love song.
giphy.gif

I really dig this version

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I never really understood the flashbacks to Laguna in the game. Like what was the point? Squall and him dont even reunite.
Ellone explains this when they are in the escape pods. She was basically the the adopted daughter of Laguna and Raine and she was trying to change the past through Squall's dreams so that they could stay a family and she kept failing. They don't outright state it in the game (as Ellone's powers in general are kind of mysterious) but Squall is the key because he is the son of them both and was her last shot at fixing her "family." Which she ends up succeeding in a way anyways, as father and son are reunited at the end of the game.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Ellone explains this when they are in the escape pods. She was basically the the adopted daughter of Laguna and Raine and she was trying to change the past through Squall's dreams so that they could stay a family and she kept failing. They don't outright state it in the game (as Ellone's powers in general are kind of mysterious) but Squall is the key because he is the son of them both and was her last shot at fixing her "family." Which she ends up succeeding in a way anyways, as father and son are reunited at the end of the game.
You technically learn she is trying to change the past on Disc 2 when Squall confronts her in Garden and then later on she explains it at the space shuttle when you visit her to try and help with Rinoa. In the escape pods Squall just begs her to send him back into the past to try and save Rinoa to which Ellone realizes the present is the most important.

Like you said and to add on, the reasoning behind everything Ellone does is because all the events that happen in the past involving her and Laguna lead to the separation of their family. Raine passes away and since Laguna is in Esthar from when he saved Ellone and then helped take out Adel both Squall and Ellone are left at the orphanage. Ellone is then taken away for protection which causes Squalls abandonment and trust issues.

Oct 25, 2017
Actually Lara Fabian from Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within is bigger than Faye Wong and it isn't even close.

By what metric?
Faye's net worth is almost 10 times Lara's.

The biggest artist by far to ever work with FF is actually Katy Perry.
Followed by Faye Wong, then Gackt, then Ariana Grande, with Lara in a distant 5th place.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Isn't FF7 on consoles based on the PC version though? They replaced the music there.
Yes, but the Steam version is a fixed version of the '98 PC release that was considered the worst version of the game. Also it was released in 2012 and was using OGG files and didn't get the PS1-quality music intil a year later. Final Fantasy 8 on Steam has had no such quality of life fixes in comparison.