• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Wait until you discover that the song is called "Eyes on Me" and not "Eye's on Me." Then you'll really be in for a shocker.

MPrza

Oct 30, 2017
Today I learned that Laguna is Squall's father. I must have been distracted by all the junctioning.

Oct 25, 2017

Angela Aki's version has proper grammar if it really bothers you that much.

"Whenever I sang"
"If a frown is shown"
And a few other fixes.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
OP
OP

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

"Whenever I sang"
"If a frown is shown"
And a few other fixes.

tenor.gif

That's all I wanted

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
what if she sung "whenever I" faster than she does "whenever" in the song while slowing her momentum for the later words kinda similar to the next line she does. She should still have enough time to hit the "I" clearly to me. In my head it makes sense.
The issue isn't that the "I" becomes unclear, it's that the rhythm isn't as effective.
The 4-line stanza repeats a two-line structure. By giving each line in that two-line structure a different rhythm, the stanza's structure is expressed in rhythm in addition to just the words.
If the rhythm in the two lines is identical except for an added "I" beat, then you have four lines of near-equal rhythm. The rhythm no longer splits the stanza into two parts as effectively, and the overall stanza becomes a little more stilted. It "works", but I don't think it works as well.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17658

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The issue isn't that the "I" becomes unclear, it's that the rhythm isn't as effective.
The 4-line stanza repeats a two-line structure. By giving each line in that two-line structure a different rhythm, the stanza's structure is expressed in rhythm in addition to just the words.
If the rhythm in the two lines is identical except for an added "I" beat, then you have four lines of near-equal rhythm. The rhythm no longer splits the stanza into two parts as effectively, and the overall stanza becomes a little more stilted. It "works", but I don't think it works as well.
yea that's fair...
you clearly don't know how companies worked back then if you think that's bullshit
umm... explain?

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
companies were not forward-thinking at all when it came to backing up their work, and honestly who can blame them? shit like digital downloads were things people only *dreamed of* back then. as a result, a lot of companies never bothered keeping track of master copies of several games. Kingdom Hearts 1 and Panzer Dragoon were already mentioned, but the list is gigantic.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17658

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Games done. Need to make space for our new one." Delete.
actually, I can see why they would do that. At the time I don't think anyone thought re-releases would be a profitable venture.
companies were not forward-thinking at all when it came to backing up their work, and honestly who can blame them? shit like digital downloads were things people only *dreamed of* back then. as a result, a lot of companies never bothered keeping track of master copies of several games, Kingdom Hearts 1 and Panzer Dragoon were already mentioned, but the list is gigantic.
Yea, same thing happened with a lot of tape libraries. I can't really blame them tbh thinking in that time period, ignoring how things are now but it does suck...

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
It was a super mega big ass deal back then when Faye Wong was ultimately selected by Uematsu to be the VA for the song.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I ever got far enough to actually hear the song in the game, and even I figured that out.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I only played through half the game as a kid. What are these GF jokes about?
When you junction guardian forces memory loss occurs. It was used to explain plot points (such as all of the main characters being from the same orphanage but not remembering, etc. If i remember everything correctly.

VISION

Oct 25, 2017
When you junction guardian forces memory loss occurs. It was used to explain plot points (such as all of the main characters being from the same orphanage but not remembering, etc. If i remember everything correctly.
Is that a purely plot thing or does use of GFs as a gameplay mechanic affect the cutscenes you see?

OP
OP

Deleted member 17658

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yea that too.
always felt that was a lame cover up to the plot holes

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The orphanage scene is one of the low points of the franchise

God it was so dumb

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017

"Whenever I sang"
"If a frown is shown"
And a few other fixes.

Look, I know how to pronounce frown, and shown, but put that in a written sentance and my brain explodes.

We do need a thread for "holy shit moments in games that actually may have been obvious".

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Guardian Forces. They were summons that you junctioned(attached) to your characters to summon them and do other skills. You should of gotten 4 relativity early in the game.
Wait did you think the joke was that you didn't find enough GF in your play through?

Do you literally know anything about the plot of FF8?

Oct 26, 2017
I can see why. She seemed like a big deal in China and damn she's got a voice.

She's one of the most famous celebrities in China. It's like they would have gotten Michael Jackson.

Nobody performing Final Fantasy songs after that were anywhere near as big. Hikaru Utada for Kingdom Hearts is the only one even slightly comparable.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
How this wasn't obvious to you the first time around is very puzzling to me lol. I was pretty obsessed with the OST when it came out, was the only thing I asked for xmas that year.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the lyrics definitely signify the relationship between these two characters.

I didn't used to like this song when I was younger, but at one point it hit me in the feels and I couldn't resist.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Laguna is Squall's father and Julia was Rinoa's mother. Laguna and Julia weren't able to be together, but their children were.
Was going to post this myself =) It's another big plot point many people miss, but brings a beautiful layer of extra depth to the game's love stories, and drives home the point of all those Laguna scenes.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
People bring up GF memory loss as though it's supposed to be the big twist in the orphanage scene when in actuality the twist is learning that Edea and Cid were recruiting the orphans (we see other children beside main 6 running around and the White SeeD were all orphans) into Garden which we later learn was to make sure they led Squall to Ultimecia.

Guardian Force are used only by Balamb Garden. Trabia and Galbadia forbid it because the side effects are known. It then becomes more obvious that Cid and Edea do not care about the side effects or enforced it so that they wouldn't remember their life as orphans.

I think the execution couls have been nuch better with GF but it was never the main point of the orphanage scene.