• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently in this boat. Can you explain what HDMI 2.1 is and why it's worth it to wait? And when do we expect those TVs to come out?

HDMI 2.1 introduces a lot of things and is the biggest shift in the HDMI standard for quite some time. Some of the key things are variable refresh rate, ie freesync, eARC which is audio return channel/pass through with lossless audio formats now such as Dolby True HD, DTS-HD MA, and DTS:X, and bandwidth for HDR with dynamic metadata which is going to be HDR10+. A lot of stuff centers around higher bandwidth which means it'll be able support resolutions with higher fresh rates too. It was speculated we might have seen some of the first sets by the end of this year but some of the stuff wasn't being phased in on time like testing standards, but that stuff is all set and we should see the first sets in 2019 or maybe some sets show off by the end of this year. At worst, we'll see stuff at CES 2019.

Ugh. Keep wanting to jump on a B7 OLED but when I hear stuff like this I figure I should keep waiting. But then I hear reports that these won't drop until late 2019 at the absolute earliest.

Then I'm sure once those finally drop, the next big thing will be right around the corner. I should really just take the plunge...

Nah, thinking there's always something around the corner is just wrong. Well technically it's right, but it's not the next big thing. There will always be improvements, but those are always nice to have. What you need to look out for are the foundation pillars. You need to observe where the content is going because unlike tech, content support doesn't change as drastically. When you're able to identify what key pillars are and what the support is going to be from content, then you can figure out when a good time to jump in and when a not so good time to jump in. Last time it was HDMI w/ HDCP and 1080p. If you hopped on to a solid set with that, that lasted you a good 10+ years despite all the tech that came out afterward since it was the standard. Just think about what blu rays and movies have needed and you'll realize that's true. The next major standard that everything is going to be based on is 4K, HDR and HDMI 2.1 features. These are foundation pillars for moving forward. You can bet the next consoles and content are going to support VRR and HDR10, Dolby Vision and HDR10+. So I think HDMI 2.1 is going to be the last key to the transition and it's going to be in time and in line with the next consoles. Everything else will be nice to have fluff features. But like HDR is proving now, which I said plenty of times when people were buying 4K only sets, it's clear that HDR is a fundamental key pillar in the content. I guarantee VRR and HDR10+ will be a part of that same picture too and you'll need a HDMI 2.1 compliant set to have those features.

Just curious if there's been any impressions on dramatic improvements over the P605/P607 series.

Hoping to hold onto the P607 for awhile.

As far as I know, it's a marginal but solid improvement. It's not dramatic, and you'll be fine with your P607. No reason to upgrade.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
That's the S model. I don't think that has real HDR.
It does. TCL stated early this year that the old S-series line was being replaced. All have HDR 10/Dolby Vision.

https://www.tclusa.com/products/hom...lass-5-series-4k-uhd-hdr-roku-smart-tv-49s517

• Dolby Vision HDR
  • HDR Dynamic Contrast
  • Wide Color Gamut with TCL's NBP Photon Technology
  • Roku TV Smart Platform with thousands of streaming channels
  • Enhanced Remote with Voice Control
  • High-speed 802.11ac wireless and Ethernet networking
  • (3) HDMI 2.0a ports with HDCP 2.2

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
It does. TCL stated early this year that the old S-series line was being replaced. All have HDR 10/Dolby Vision.

https://www.tclusa.com/products/hom...lass-5-series-4k-uhd-hdr-roku-smart-tv-49s517

• Dolby Vision HDR
  • HDR Dynamic Contrast

The new S line doesn't have local dimming though like the P series if I recall correctly which is one of the key differences.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
HDMI 2.1 will bring VRR to TV's. Freesync on your TV, basically. Xbox One X will take advantage of it, as will all next gen consoles.

TV's are updated yearly, very similar to cars. The 2018 have just released. The first HDMI 2.1 sets will come with the 2019 models, so roughly one year from today.

Oh snap, that is worth waiting for. I have Freesync on my PC and it's awesome. Guess I'll hold out for a bit longer!

Oct 26, 2017

• Dolby Vision HDR
  • HDR Dynamic Contrast
Oh nice! I missed that.
The new S line doesn't have local dimming though like the P series if I recall correctly which is one of the key differences.
How important would you say local dimming is?

Oct 26, 2017
Is there anyone here that ordered the 6 series and already owns a P series? I'm really interested to hear your opinion on how they compare when you get it.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Is there anyone here that ordered the 6 series and already owns a P series? I'm really interested to hear your opinion on how they compare when you get it.
Yes please. Awaiting the comparison to 55" from 17/18.

Decided I'm set with my current 65" situation but would upgrade my gaming 605 if the HDR gaming is specifically better.

Testing has shown input lag to be around 18 for HDR so we are good there. But I have been a little underwhelmed with the dimming of small bright objects in gaming hdr

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, thinking there's always something around the corner is just wrong. Well technically it's right, but it's not the next big thing. There will always be improvements, but those are always nice to have. What you need to look out for are the foundation pillars. ..

This is a great write up. Thanks. Yeah, the TV I have now is still kicking strong. I'm missing out on some 4K stuff, but with such limited contented available, and the price tag being so high, I really want to make sure I make a purchase than can last theoretically 10 years or so.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
And then HDMI 2.2 and VRRRRRRRX

If you wait for technology you'll always be one step behind.

HDR10+ still isn't Dolby Vision so kiss all of that goodbye since nothing will support it.
Every HDMI revision isn't worth upgrading. It's all about fundamental pillars that things are based on. If you focus on what the content is supporting you can figure out what's important and what's not. Claiming there's always new tech around the corner is just a hand waive of not understanding things and bad advice. That advice is what got people burned on buying TVs without HDR.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
He's got a point though, next year a lot of the people will be "oh well since this is the first year of 2.1 it's best to just wait for all the kinks to be ironed out in next year's model"

I fell into that trap with GPUs too. And all that waiting led to me paying $100 more for a fucking RX 580 due to miners :|

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
Every HDMI revision isn't worth upgrading. It's all about fundamental pillars that things are based on. If you focus on what the content is supporting you can figure out what's important and what's not. Claiming there's always new tech around the corner is just a hand waive of not understanding things and bad advice. That advice is what got people burned on buying TVs without HDR.
I agree with what you are saying to an extent, but at the same time you show the problem right there on what you said. If people were "burned" by getting plain 4k screens when 4k hdr screens were right around the corner, then aren't the people who have bought 4k hdr screens now getting burned again, implying that even though they waited a new standard technology another even newer one is just around the corner.

I get that hdmi 2.1 will certainly have its benefits, but I think people are kind of putting too much emphasis on vrr. It is a great technology, and could be really useful if you have a gaming PC, but until games are designed with it in mind on console, games that have unlocked framerates will likely just be too variable and still look juddery even with vrr. Vrr can fix tearing issues, but it does not automatically make inconsistent frametimes feel smooth when a game is bouncing between high 30s and 60 fps.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with what you are saying to an extent, but at the same time you show the problem right there on what you said. If people were "burned" by getting plain 4k screens when 4k hdr screens were right around the corner, then aren't the people who have bought 4k hdr screens now getting burned again, implying that even though they waited a new standard technology another even newer one is just around the corner.

Actually, it doesn't expose a flaw in what I'm saying. HDR is in flux right now and that's clear with the split between HDR10 and Dolby Vision. I think HDR10+ will be one of the different common HDR formats when things settle. Just like you have Dolby True HD and DTS-HD MA, I think you'll see Dolby Vision and HDR10+ as common formats. HDR is a key pillar, but you need to make sure you can have full wide support of HDR which would mean you'd have to have HDMI 2.1 anyway. It would be like jumping in on HD-DVD before the dust settled between HD-DVD and Blu-ray. Standards are still in flux, and my point is all about common pillar foundation standards. Not to mention HDR isn't a check box on a list of features like some people treat it. Some people were buying HDR that really shouldn't classify as HDR, ie 8 bit screens without wide color gamut. So yes, HDR is key, but you have to get a proper HDR implementation and that includes supporting the major standards.

I get that hdmi 2.1 will certainly have its benefits, but I think people are kind of putting too much emphasis on vrr. It is a great technology, and could be really useful if you have a gaming PC, but until games are designed with it in mind on console, games that have unlocked framerates will likely just be too variable and still look juddery even with vrr. Vrr can fix tearing issues, but it does not automatically make inconsistent frametimes feel smooth when a game is bouncing between high 30s and 60 fps.

The Xbox One X is already going to support VRR though starting in like May. I think this is going to be a common feature found in the next gen consoles moving forward.

Laconik

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
If you have a 4k TV with HDR, then wait for HDMI 2.1, if not get the 55R615 or the 65R615 to tide you till then. I came from a budget 46" inch Sony 3D TV and it's night and day how PS4 games look on a PS4 Pro. The Best Buy version doesnt have the special remote, but you can use your phone for the same effect. I got the 55R615 for my birthday and now I need to save up for a Xbox One X, goddamn everything is so sharp.

ReDelicious

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really a TV enthusiast, so I like to get something that will last me for a long time. I'm wanting to make the jump to 1440p 120hz but would like the screen to actually be 4k so I'm not instantly outdated in that aspect.

If I understand this thread correctly, if I wait till next year I should be able to buy a TV that future proofs me up to 4k 120hz, correct? I know we won't have single GPUs pulling that off for a while but it would be nice to have the display side of things already covered.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really a TV enthusiast, so I like to get something that will last me for a long time. I'm wanting to make the jump to 1440p 120hz but would like the screen to actually be 4k so I'm not instantly outdated in that aspect.

If I understand this thread correctly, if I wait till next year I should be able to buy a TV that future proofs me up to 4k 120hz, correct? I know we won't have single GPUs pulling that off for a while but it would be nice to have the display side of things already covered.
If you mean TCL panels, no one knows yet.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Anyone get their hands on one yet? Thoughts?
Best purchase I've ever made. Been going through my HDR games and my god Infamous Last Light is stunning. Stranger Things 2 with Dolby Vision is also really damn good looking. Can't believe this thing cost less than the X800D I bought.

I'm basically rolling with The P607 settings, wondering what other people are using. Uniformity is not good but I knew that going in and it doesn't bother me as much as others I guess. Everything else is super impressive.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Best purchase I've ever made. Been going through my HDR games and my god Infamous Last Light is stunning. Stranger Things 2 with Dolby Vision is also really damn good looking. Can't believe this thing cost less than the X800D I bought.

I'm basically rolling with The P607 settings, wondering what other people are using.
Aw man. Here I am toiling away at whether or not it's worth an upgrade over my X800D and you come along screaming yes. :)

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm basically rolling with The P607 settings, wondering what other people are using. Uniformity is not good but I knew that going in and it doesn't bother me as much as others I guess. Everything else is super impressive.
Oh My God! I was starting to regret my purchase, cause it's a lot of money and i had to tap into my savings, but this makes me feel great again! Can't wait! My first 4k tv!

Oct 26, 2017

What do you mean about the uniformity not being good?

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
What do you mean about the uniformity not being good?
Like a whole bunch of the same color is gonna look slightly different. I've only really noticed it in pause/menus.
Aw man. Here I am toiling away at whether or not it's worth an upgrade over my X800D and you come along screaming yes. :)
Yea dude I've gone through every HDR game I have except Wipeout and it's a substantial upgrade every time. Local dimming is the real deal but also the contrast and brightness seems to be much better on the TCL. Not to mention the size difference.

Last edited:

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
And you had a P607? Is there an immediate, massive difference between the models?
No, I had the 43 inch Sony X800D. It has no local dimming so the jump is much bigger than from a P series TCL.

6 series 55 is my first experience with TCL and honestly I'm blown away. It feels like premium TV even though it's quite cheap for the featureset. I love the OS compared to Sony's Android crap.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Question about the P Series, which I've had for about a year. I've got bias lighting connected to the TV through the TV's USB Port. However, the lighting doesn't turn off when the TV does. Previously, there was a lag but it would eventually turn off. Now, it might stay on all night, which is obviously not ideal. Any thoughts? I looked through settings and didn't find anything that referenced power to the USB ports or anything, but I could've missed it.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
Question about the P Series, which I've had for about a year. I've got bias lighting connected to the TV through the TV's USB Port. However, the lighting doesn't turn off when the TV does. Previously, there was a lag but it would eventually turn off. Now, it might stay on all night, which is obviously not ideal. Any thoughts? I looked through settings and didn't find anything that referenced power to the USB ports or anything, but I could've missed it.

You have to turn off the quick start up feature in settings.

Once you turn that off, when the tv is turned off it will keep USB power on for 10 minutes then shut off power to that.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, I had the 43 inch Sony X800D. It has no local dimming so the jump is much bigger than from a P series TCL.

6 series 55 is my first experience with TCL and honestly I'm blown away. It feels like premium TV even though it's quite cheap for the featureset. I love the OS compared to Sony's Android crap.
Question for you: How does this TV do with Glare? I have a lot of windows in my living room.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So I have been annoyed with my soundbar in front of the TV. I can not find a clean way to raise the TV high enough to get at the remote sensor without raising my arm. Since the TV is not hung, I am looking for something that looks nice to raise the base. Right now I am using some felt pads stacked but it does not look that great and is not high enough.

Anyone have theirs raised a little? I was just randomly looking for something on Amazon and have to yet find something I like.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
So I have been annoyed with my soundbar in front of the TV. I can not find a clean way to raise the TV high enough to get at the remote sensor without raising my arm. Since the TV is not hung, I am looking for something that looks nice to raise the base. Right now I am using some felt pads stacked but it does not look that great and is not high enough.

Anyone have theirs raised a little? I was just randomly looking for something on Amazon and have to yet find something I like.

Easy, just buy a universal VESA tv stand. Bunch on amazon ranging between 15-30 bucks.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017

How about something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WRW8QXC/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_qY64AbPQEZ3D5

irishonion

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know anything about the 5 series TCL 55" 55S515? Is this a newer model as well? I can't find any reviews on it, only sold at best buy.

Just FYI, I'm already buying the 6 series 615 for gaming, I'm just looking for a decent secondary TV under 500 bucks, and the 5 series 515" is 450.

Its hard to find a good budget tv because I feel like reviews never take into account budget TVs being on the cheaper side.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
How's the TCL perform with the Framemeister or OSSC? I want a second retro TV and either a reduced price P605/607 or 6 series are on my radar. Any issues outputting 240p?

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
Nice. Give us all the juicy details.

It's very beautiful when I stand up, but I was not expecting the viewing angles to do... Whatever it is they do.
Standing up, perfectly in the center of the screen the contrast is amazing. 5 inches lower at my girlfriend's height, there is a huge glow around light areas on a black screen. Sat on the sofa (the tv is higher than ideal up on a fireplace) and the blacks are blotchy as hell and the image gets noticably washed out.
It's quite drastic and much more extreme than I was expecting.

I also cannot get my PS4 to recognise that the tv supports HDR, no matter the input.

I also bought new cables - optical and HDMI, and we've got a conduit that runs inside the wall for cables but because all the tv inputs are at the very very far right of the tv, my cables are ONE inch to short so now they're hanging off the side.

It is great outside of the backlight viewing angle thing, and the cable thing is just annoying.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's very beautiful when I stand up, but I was not expecting the viewing angles to do... Whatever it is they do.
Standing up, perfectly in the center of the screen the contrast is amazing. 5 inches lower at my girlfriend's height, there is a huge glow around light areas on a black screen. Sat on the sofa (the tv is higher than ideal up on a fireplace) and the blacks are blotchy as hell and the image gets noticably washed out.
It's quite drastic and much more extreme than I was expecting.

I also cannot get my PS4 to recognise that the tv supports HDR, no matter the input.

I also bought new cables - optical and HDMI, and we've got a conduit that runs inside the wall for cables but because all the tv inputs are at the very very far right of the tv, my cables are ONE inch to short so now they're hanging off the side.

It is great outside of the backlight viewing angle thing, and the cable thing is just annoying.
Oh man, mine is going above the fireplace too. Starting to get a little scared. I bought a 65inch so maybe it wont be as bad. I guess I should be prepared to return it, just in case it dont workout for me.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
http://imgur.com/gallery/4PpeoZj

Shitty photos but I exposed my phone to the wall next to the TV and they're a pretty good approximation of the difference between standing and sitting.
During a move / show it manifests as lower contrast and slightly washed out mids.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know anything about the 5 series TCL 55" 55S515? Is this a newer model as well? I can't find any reviews on it, only sold at best buy.

Just FYI, I'm already buying the 6 series 615 for gaming, I'm just looking for a decent secondary TV under 500 bucks, and the 5 series 515" is 450.

Its hard to find a good budget tv because I feel like reviews never take into account budget TVs being on the cheaper side.

I can't speak to the 55", but I just ordered the 43" 5 series for another room in the house. I'm picking it up from Best Buy this weekend so i can report back with what I think. For reference I use a p607 55" as our main tv.