• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Not the same thing. Nobody is painting anybody's skin. This is not blackface. Go look up Al Jolston, Minstral show to see what blackface actually is.

while I agree it doesn't carry the same baggage and weight as black face, I still think it speaks to an issue with representation in the industry and media/entertainment in general. It's not that these casting directors are themselves racist, but a lot of the systems in place in entertainment are.

Stook

Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't mind an actual Japanese person doing Samurai Jack since Jack's accent always struck me as problematic when it's a black dude doing it.

Ya'll don't have some gotcha with this whatabout argument. You're just fucking stupid.
More into hiring the right person for the job. Phill Lamar killed that role

OneEyedKing

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of false equivalency and mental gymnastics people are using in this thread to try to justify or minimize this stupid decision from Naughty Dog and racist behavior at large is pathetic and embarrassing.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I found a video of Neil talking about the reason he chose Bailey and the reason he chose her chemistry with the other actors.

Which in and of itself isn't a great answer because it feeds into the AAA=critical role performances and no one else type of thing because ofc Laura Bailey is gonna have chemistry with Nolan North & Troy Baker, she's worked alongside them for years. As I said, though, they clearly addressed this already with their latest release. And I can't see them backing down from that anytime soon.

All that said, i'm actually curious about the source of the OP's quote, if it's the video above I can't help but wonder why it omits the specific reason he chose Laura Bailey since the title absolutely doesn't reflect what was actually said.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Color-blind casting overwhelmingly favors white hires since odds are already so stacked against people of color in terms of equal access to opportunities. In cases like this where they "hired the best person for the job", it sends the message that they're more than happy to use your likeness, but you're never good enough to even play the few roles of characters made to look like you, intentional or not.

Apr 21, 2018
Personally, I think a black woman should be given that role and the role not only be recasted but they should go back and revoice those scenes.

otherwise this is going to hang over those games every time they are re-released or talked about in the future.

Agreed. We know developers have done it before (John Tron being removed from Yooka Layly, if I'm not mistaken)

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the fact the defense force can only bring up Phil Lamarr to defend their shitty views should tell you everything you need to know about the disproportionality white actors doing these roles.

It's always the same thing, "But...Lamarr, bu-but White Chicks".

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Do the people throwing random black VAs around realize they're doing the, "I have a black friend" shit and sound ridiculously ignorant or nah?
Nah, if one black person can voice a white or non-black character at any point in history, that obviously means there isn't a systemic issue with black actors getting passed over for black roles in favor of their white contemporaries in the game and movie industry.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Uhh..Elena gets blown up point blank by a grenade and it's honestly astounding that she survived.

Citation needed. Note by UC4 ND would actually go in an scan real life people as the basis for their characters and that actress is on record saying that she was not involved with the project.

That doesn't mean anything. Those "scans" are probably just a starting point and the character artists go from there. Clearly someone or multiple people just straight up ripped off a real life actress. It's not like they haven't done it before.

Cutter is a bald, white, action star looking dude with a British accent. Humm, I wonder who they are ripping off here
KTHW0Ko.jpg

Marlowe is an older, but still attractive and also elegant British women. Nobody in real life like that
6ZhyOrp.jpg

It's not like they would publicly admit "We totally ripped off Helen Mirren for Marlowe and didn't bother to get her permission first".

The-JUV

Oct 25, 2017
I found a video of Neil talking about the reason he chose Bailey and the reason he chose her chemistry with the other actors.

Which in and of itself isn't a great answer because it feeds into the AAA=critical role performances and no one else type of thing because ofc Laura Bailey is gonna have chemistry with Nolan North & Troy Baker, she's worked alongside them for years. As I said, though, they clearly addressed this already with their latest release. And I can't see them backing down from that anytime soon.

All that said, i'm actually curious about the source of the OP's quote and why it omits the specific reason he chose Laura Bailey.

I Think this is the important thing, lots of ppl are dunking on them for this and they deserved to be dunked on for this 3 or 4 years ago. While they may never admit it I truly believe they know they F'd up and with how well they did part II, I expect them to get better and better at having the right representation in their games, and to continue learning and doing better by it.

I'm 100 percent positive their next game is not gonna feature a white male lead, it's gonna be a poc for sure, and I'm hoping for asian and black co leads in a sci fi adventure.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If Naughty Dog seriously thinks this white girl sounds more South African than real South African women then they are fucking high.

Gxgear

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing concerns around representation, use of alt right rhetoric, prior ban for dismissing sexism
Forcing diversity is the distasteful part, not casting a A-lister for voice performance regardless of the colour of her skin.

People are afraid to speak up because anything but total outrage is unacceptable here. It can't be that we're just conflicted.

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
It's disingenuous when you ignore half of the quote and substitute a false interpretation of what he's saying in order to condemn it.

I don't care how married you are to your incorrect assessment. An author at any time can reexamine their own assumptions about a character they are creating and their past. How do you think Apartheid goes unaddressed? I assume you memorized the entire script in order to support your assertion? Or is it more realistic to think one day while working on the character and seeing the black designs he thought, "well, what if she was black?" and started to work that out in his head and on the page and in his collaboration with Bailey? What must her journey have been like to go from that history to running a successful mercenary outfit only to lose it again? Does it not count unless she starts every sentence with "as a black South African who experienced Apartheid"? Does Ellie need to start every line with "as a confirmed homosexual"?

If you think accent accuracy is the only thing that matters in a performance, not sure why anyone should trust any of your opinions.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Not the same thing. Nobody is painting anybody's skin. This is not blackface. Go look up Al Jolston, Minstral show to see what blackface actually is.
Can you not understand that black people get so far fewer opportunities that you voicing a white person is a win, while a white person voicing a black character is Wednesday?

Are you so pie in the sky that you believe every time a Black VA loses a role, it was because they "just weren't good enough"?

Your idealism blinds you. Allow me to help you see reality.

FFFanatic

Nov 1, 2017
I feel like many people in this thread are ignoring the larger issue here.
It's simple to look at this question and only apply some very narrow logic:
"Well we can't see the voice actor's faces anyway, so long as they're good at it race doesn't matter."

But this is not a simple issue.

There are so many extra hurdles and difficulties non-white actors go through, even before starting in the VA industry.
And it snowballs into other issues that compound the problem:
- POC have a difficult time even getting into the industry, which leads to a larger portion of the VA community being white.
- Which causes them to build relationships, either consciously or unconsciously, more often with other white voice actors.
- Who then recommend one another, which can hurt the chances for someone outside those circles getting work.

This is already a situation where the deck is heavily stacked against non-white actors.
So to take a POC character, and cast a white actor, is going to feel like a huge slap in the face.
And send the message "We don't need or want you here."

If things were actually equal, I could see debating this question.
But when you take everything into account, I think the answer is an easy "no"

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I'm with OP but the thread title is throwing me off.

I actually like Nadine, I like most of Bailey's work, and never felt ok with this mainly due to black women not usually ever getting prominent roles in AAA games and this being a black female character. I can't call out SA accents or anything but I was always on board with a recast.

The deflection here and just the reaction in general... Lots of you showing your whole ass.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what the percentage would be if there was a poll when this controversy hit Wargroove

www.resetera.com

Wargroove (Chucklefish) is receiving criticism for casting white actors for its POC characters(Dev respond, see threadmark)

This is making the rounds on Twitter at the moment; Wargroove's upcoming DLC features four new primary characters, three of whom are POC, and all of whom are voiced by white actors or actresses. The base game also features what seems to be* a mostly white cast, with the exceptions of Kimlinh...

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Yeah they should have recast iconic James Earl Jones after it was revealed that Vader was white in Return of the Jedi

What I mean is... please let the creative director have his own vision for the film/game/whatever else the fuck it is. If you don't like it, don't buy it. It's simple. It's fine to not agree with the casting of a white VA for a black character, but I think it's too far to "demand" the change and even more to call people that don't agree with it racists.
Anakin Skywalker is played by white people in every iteration. James Earl Jones' voice is specifically for the robotic distortion of the equipment Anakin wears as Darth Vader. That's why he doesn't sound like Jones when the helmet is off. The same thing happens in Rebels when his mask breaks: you hear Anakin and the Vader voice at the same time when he speaks.

What you're saying has nothing to do with anything.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
They should have recast after the character was redesigned. I agree with the overall idea of the thread though I dislike the sensationalist framing in the title.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Forcing diversity is the distasteful part, not casting a A-lister for voice performance regardless of the colour of her skin.

People are afraid to speak up because anything but total outrage is unacceptable here. It can't be that we're just conflicted.

If they didn't want to be criticized for having a white woman voice a black character, how about have the character actually be white?

You can quit it with the tone policing too, it's not helpful and it's a deflection attempt from what's important.

Deleted member 21858

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (3 months): hostility and dismissing concerns around representation

That is actually true. If you don't agree and say "no, Im all up for the vision of the director and think he should cast whoever he wants for the role" you are automatically called a racist that is """in denial""". It's like a fucking cult of deranged fanatics.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Color-blind casting overwhelmingly favors white hires since odds are already so stacked against people of color in terms of equal access to opportunities. In cases like this where they "hired the best person for the job", it sends the message that they're more than happy to use your likeness, but you're never good enough to even play the few roles of characters made to look like you, intentional or not.

This is it

Tunar

May 6, 2020
Was bullshit then and is bullshit now. They should have never have made that a thing in the first place. I remember everyone hand waving it when uncharted 4 released even though people were trying to be serious. Least it looks ND learned their lesson, I hope.
Still can't enjoy u4 or lost legacy because of it. It just really bothers me knowing it's Laura Bailey, and I actually like her in most of her stuff.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That is actually true. If you don't agree and say "no, Im all up for the vision of the director and think he should cast whoever he wants for the role" you are automatically called a racist that is """in denial""". It's like a fucking cult of deranged fanatics.

Directors make mistakes. Their vision is not inherently right.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

It's possible to be conflicted on this. I don't think it's wrong to think she shouldn't be recast at this point.

But anyone who types the phrase "forced diversity" deserves any backlash he or she gets in her comments.

Stook

Oct 30, 2017
while I agree it doesn't carry the same baggage and weight as black face, I still think it speaks to an issue with representation in the industry and media/entertainment in general. It's not that these casting directors are themselves racist, but a lot of the systems in place in entertainment are.
I agree with you. As a blackman I'm speaking from 15+ years working in this industry. I've seen it all. It would take having more minority creative directors , game directors , concept designers , game developers etc. This industry is white male focused, there needs to be more inclusion. Reflect the world we live in. Only recently has it started to shift. I haven't seen an overly racist paradigm in the games industry, it's mostly talent driven, basically can you do the work. This is just my perspective. I've definitely have seen a sexist one though.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That doesn't mean anything. Those "scans" are probably just a starting point and the character artists go from there. Clearly someone or multiple people just straight up ripped off a real life actress. It's not like they haven't done it before.

Cutter is a bald, white, action star looking dude with a British accent. Humm, I wonder who they are ripping off here
KTHW0Ko.jpg

Marlowe is an older, but still attractive and also elegant British women. Nobody in real life like that
6ZhyOrp.jpg

It's not like they would publicly admit "We totally ripped off Helen Mirren for Marlowe and didn't bother to get her permission first".

It could be crunch related. Plagiarism = I can finally go home and sleep.
They have different eyes, nose, cheek bones, and mouth shapes dude. Remember that stink about how a character in MGSV was "clearly" based off of a person who had surface level similarities:
doctor.jpg

Oct 27, 2017

KTHW0Ko.jpg

6ZhyOrp.jpg

Cutter is played by Graham McTavish and Marlowe is played by Rosalind Ayers, they very well might've used Jason Statham and Helen Mirren, but the actors that played them are not so far removed that the characters couldn't also have been based on them.

Graham McTavish
GrahamMcTavish.jpg

Rosalind Ayers
RosalindAyres.jpg

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Is voice acting an entertainment industry where black representation is bad? I know in Hollywood black representation is good these days for movie and TV. It's asians that are vastly under-represented.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
"They like Naughty Dog"

there has been a distinct lack of posts who acknowledge that they voted yes, which is hilarious. arguments for yes mainly circle around "WHERE DO WE DRAW THE LINE?!".

After that Insomniac thread, I'm no longer surprised tbh.

Lol, now I'm curious how the poll would go if you replace NG with Bioware.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The character is literally a black woman.

Fuck your "forced" diversity.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Cutter is played by Graham McTavish and Marlowe is played by Rosalind Ayers, they very well might've used Jason Statham and Helen Mirren, but they actors that played them are not so far removed that the characters couldn't also have been based on them.

Graham McTavish
GrahamMcTavish.jpg

Rosalind Ayers
RosalindAyres.jpg
This, people attempting to turn a fun meme into a genuine criticism.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Cutter is played by Graham McTavish and Marlowe is played by Rosalind Ayers, they very well might've used Jason Statham and Helen Mirren, but the actors that played them are not so far removed that the characters couldn't also have been based on them.

Graham McTavish
GrahamMcTavish.jpg

Rosalind Ayers
RosalindAyres.jpg

Rosalind doesn't look anything like Marlowe. In any case there's no way Statham and Mirren weren't the sole inspirations of those characters.

Oct 27, 2017

KTHW0Ko.jpg

6ZhyOrp.jpg

Or maybe he looks like Graham McTavish who voiced him.
OOO6Y8G.jpg

Maybe she's based on Rosalind Ayres who voiced her?
74QGQHs.jpg

Your criteria is seriously as vague as bald and British and older yet attractive?

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt a recast ever would have happened. According to ND, they wanted to work with Laura Bailey and hired her before they finalized the character's design. So a "do-over" more likely results in Nadine just being a South African white woman.

For me, the bigger question is how they cast the role in future games. If don't recast, then I think they deserve a lot of shit for it.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Once they settled on the character model they should have recast, because that character model is awesome and it would have been great to have a coloured African play the character. Apartheid history of South Africa also makes it that much important that it was done this way.

And while they were at it, they should have not made Chloe half Indian because recasting would have probably not gone down as well with her.

Although, I do want to point out that white South African do have accent like Nadine's.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
people pulling out phil lamarr is killing me because he literally tweeted this a few hours ago: