• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised by the results, who cares if she's voiced by a white woman, alot of the male characters in anime and my children shows were voiced by women, never bothered me.
Women are commonly cast as prepuberal boys because they have the vocal range to match and casting actual children carries a long list of logistical problems.

Also, that has nothing to do with this thread.

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, not to say it isn't significant, but I meant I'd also like to see a person of a racial minority lead one of their games, because their entire output going back to the PS3 games have featured white playable characters.
Shaun Escayg, creative director on Avengers, was the creative director on Lost Legacy and is from Trinidad and Tobago.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Naughty dog is beloved here OP. Without even clicking the poll I expect the vote to be close when in reality it shouldn't be. As great as naughty dog is, the industry doesn't care enough about proper representation

Edit: and yep it is

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I'm even surprised with these poll numbers. The real Resetera likes to hide behind what's right, but the true colors come out when fanboyism is concerned.

Naughty Gods, am I right?

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people suggesting that most viable voice actors are white? It's just the famous ones who are. I have an actor friend from Argentina who has done a little bit of voice work, but minorities aren't really given much of a chance compared to white people, regardless of talent. It's absolutely systemic racism.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
How are these voice acting audiences made? Because if it was me doing the casting for a voice of a character, honestly, I'd rather not know what the voice actor looks like physically as that will not be relevant for the spectator but it could somehow influence my impression on the acting.

I have no idea if that's how it works in real, probably not, but in a scenario like that I can imagine that you can end up liking the most the acting of somebody not matching the race of the character and feeling choosing anybody else doesn't make sense.

In practice, however, I think it's not a good look when this decision, the portrayal of a black character, relies only on the decision of a, almost assuredly, group of mostly white guys that probably will not have the best idea of what a south African black woman sounds like. Quite probably, because they're so set in making this kind of Hollywood-esque kind of cinematic game they followed the same kind of casting principles that lead si many movies to commit whitewashing casting decisions.

So I actually voted yes because, in principle, I think it's not good to close the door completely for a person to voice a person of a different race but in this particular case I think it doesn't look that good. Like I could excuse a small developer because they don't have the resources or reach to get the voice actors they would want and they need to rely on their closest circle or even themselves. But fucking Naughty Dog? Hard to believe they didn't have a black actress doing just as good of a job or better. I think they should consider recasting, definitely.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
It's absolutely ok to feel that one voice actor is better than another and really nails the character. However if it's an issue that the voice actress is of a different race than the fake digital person that they are representing, I think the correct route would have been to redesign the character. That is assuming that their stance is truly that the voice actress is just that good.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It's some serious side-eye to have Laura Bailey voice Nadine.

Has Naughty Dog apologized yet?

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I actually expected the poll result to be overwhelming win for "No"....

l haven't read the thread but I'm curious what are people's main argument for "Yes" ?

May 17, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissive commentary in a sensitive thread. Regardless of what else is happening right now, minorities can still raise their concerns about issues that affect them.
Yeah, it was a bad move, and, they've already proven they are avoiding similar casting mistakes with TLOU2.

ND devs are getting yelled at daily right now, so, I'm not gonna pile on to that with an ancient conversation that's been had a million times before, during, and, after development of TLL.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Dismissing representative efforts and false equivalencies across multiple posts
Women are commonly cast as prepuberal boys because they have the vocal range to match and casting actual children carries a long list of logistical problems.

Also, that has nothing to do with this thread.
I completely get why they're picked for those roles, same way I get why a white woman that has the vocal range that's required for a believable black character is fine.
Even more relevant, why didn't they cast some buff white chick to play Abby in TLOU2 and instead settled on a petit white woman?, why didn't they take some Texan VA actor for Joel and instead opted for Troy Baker which can't be further from that?.

VA are taken by complimenting the vision of the director, if someone matches for a role, he/she should match regardless of their skin tone, gender or anything really.

Dec 31, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissive drive-by post in a sensitive thread.
Haven't played either game.

Generally I don't care when a cartoon or videogame character is voiced by a different ethnicity. Or sex.

If you start doing stereotypes I'll probably quit watching. But that's a specific case.

The-JUV

Oct 25, 2017
If they do ever bring Nadine back I do believe ND will recast her. While they may never admit it I do believe they know they made a mistake there, and they've shown with part II that they are making great strides with having better representation throughout their games and I hope other studios take notice.

I'm calling it here right now, but I bet if savage starlight is their next IP or if it's a sci-fi based game, you're gonna see asian and black co-leads with Jesse's voice actor returning, and it's going to be awesome to see.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm conflicted.

It's obviously a bad situation. But I think Laura Bailey gave a really good VA performance. I really like that character. I don't think the character/game suffered from the choice not to recast. In general I think all VA should be able to play anything. A black VA should be able to play a white character also.

But that's not happening, and it leads to lack of diversity/opportunities in the industry that is unfair.

I can only hope that ND are done with Uncharted and those characters(avoid need to recast altogether) and they start a new sci-fi franchise with a black central character/actor from the start.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I completely get why they're picked for those roles, same way I get why a white woman that has the vocal range that's required for a believable black character is fine.
Even more relevant, why didn't they cast some buff white chick to play Abby in TLOU2 and instead settled on a petit white woman?, why didn't they take some Texan VA actor for Joel and instead opted for Troy Baker which can't be further from that?.

VA are taken by complimenting the vision of the director, if someone matches for a role, he/she should match regardless of their skin tone, gender or anything really.

She didn't even do a good job with the accent, though. They just cast her because she's famous.

Stook

Oct 30, 2017
I have black friend that did mocop for strawberry shortcake. So according to OP she should not have gotten that job? Phill Lamar does the voice for Samurai Jack should he should not have had that job? This is ridiculous.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The question has two side, one about the acting and the other the actor.
For the acting it's possible to debate if you stay on the pure artistic.
But for the actor not really regarding to all what minority still endure.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is context to explain it but in the end, no it wasn't a good choice and should've been challenged internally.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I'm conflicted.

It's obviously a bad situation. But I think Laura Bailey gave a really good VA performance. I really like that character. I don't think the character/game suffered from the choice not to recast. In general I think all VA should be able to play anything. A black VA should be able to play a white character also.

But that's not happening, and it leads to lack of diversity/opportunities in the industry that is unfair.

I can only hope that ND are done with Uncharted and those characters(avoid need to recast altogether) and they start a new sci-fi franchise with a black central character/actor from the start.
This. Also yeah, I think most people liked her performance.

I guess Phil LaMarr shouldn't have gotten the part for Samurai Jack, despite being incredible in the role.
Edit: Beaten lol

Varth

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissive and inflammatory false equivalence.
A voice is a voice. It's got no skin color. If Laura Bailey provided better acting than other ethnically correct candidates and got the character right I don't have any issues. Of course, would have no problem with black VAs playing white characters.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
How are these voice acting audiences made? Because if it was me doing the casting for a voice of a character, honestly, I'd rather not know what the voice actor looks like physically as that will not be relevant for the spectator but it could somehow influence my impression on the acting.

I have no idea if that's how it works in real, probably not, but in a scenario like that I can imagine that you can end up liking the most the acting of somebody not matching the race of the character and feeling choosing anybody else doesn't make sense.
They have to know what the actor/actress looks like since it's not just about voice. Body language is a huge part of it because performance capture is involved.
Well sorry for them, for the rest of the universe that isn't in this thread her performance was adequate.
Performance? Yes. Accent? No. Most people aren't even familiar with what that sort of accent sounds like so ofc it would be adequate.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I had no idea about this (so I guess the white woman did a good job) but they should cast POC next time. It cant be that difficult.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind an actual Japanese person doing Samurai Jack since Jack's accent always struck me as problematic when it's a black dude doing it.

Ya'll don't have some gotcha with this whatabout argument. You're just fucking stupid.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
It's even worse than that. The character is straight up based on a real life black actress that I'm going to assume they never even approached to play the character(If they did and she declined, ripping off her likeness and hiring someone else who is white to do it would be worse yet):

HZ2xsy0.jpg

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Lol at those poll results...lot of dem ND boys here.
I don't think this is strictly a "Naughty Dog" issue; it's unfortunately an issue that many people are accustomed to handwaving because they view representation as a matter that extends only to the character and not the performer as well.

The poll results are embarrassing, but not surprising.