• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
If the playing fields are equal, sure. But they aren't. And probably never will be. Minorities have a much tougher time getting roles and representation in entertainment fields. So if a developer is going to go out of their way to create a minority voice, to add that diversity (and check off that PR box, lets be real) to their game, give the role and the opportunity to a minority. Do your really think almost every damn role goes to a white person because they are the "best for the job"?
If the employer is biased that's a different matter and should be absolutely criticised on. What I'm saying is you should really be chosen by your merit to carry out the job, not by the colour of your skin that entitles you to something.

May 7, 2020
www.vg247.com

The Last of Us Part 2’s story was partly inspired by a lynching Neil Druckmann witnessed

According to its creators, The Last of Us Part 2 is a story about hate and the cost of revenge. In part, it was inspire…

He, Neil, wanted to hurt the people doing the lynching, not that the guys doing the lynching were doing it for revenge.

Source is https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/the-last-of-us-part-ii-neil-druckmann-interview
why im not surprised the user was trying to be vague
yeah bye thread

Thinking about systemic issues doesn't seem to be Neil's strong suit as a writer. Apparently TLOU2's story and themes of revenge came from him accidentally seeing footage of a lynching as a kid. Like, bro, lynchings weren't a matter of personal grudges and revenge.

you should be ashamed. disgusting. people trying to have a sensitive discussion, and you come up with this shit

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Lost Legacy explored Chloe's Indian ancestry and she's played by a white woman too. Why's it always Laura Bailey being called out? Why not the very not-Indian Claudia Black? Both are extremely problematic, but Chloe always gets a free pass for some reason. I thought it was dreadful that ND focused so much Chloe's dealing with being raised abroad and returning to India and her Father issues that came with that, but still no actress of Indian descent. You could say "well they already cast her actress back in UC2"...well why didn't they cast someone else then? So bonkers how they went about it.

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is it bad that I was pleasantly surprised that "No" was winning the poll?

Of course folks here are going to defend everything ND does, and it's a real strong "circle the wagons" time right now because TLOU2 just came out.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
If the employer is biased that's a different matter and should be absolutely criticised on. What I'm saying is you should really be chosen by your merit to carry out the job, not by the colour of your skin that entitles you to something.

It'd be nice if this were a perfect world, but its not. Your response is hokey bullshit.

Again, the entertainment industry is LILY fucking white. Do you really think thats because an overwhelming amount of white people just are the best at what they do, on merit?

scrambledeggs

Apr 25, 2018
I'm bummed they didnt get a woman (or transwoman) to voice a certain character in last of us 2. Let's hope in the future all videogame with pick people of the right ethnicity and right sexual orientation to voice characters.
???

But there's no trans woman in TLOU2? There is however
a trans man who is voiced by, mocapped, and modeled after Ian Alexander, who is a trans actor.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yea, they really should have re-cast her. I get they cast the character before the design was finalised, and perhaps they had recorded a lot of the audio too, but it's still a more sensible and racially sensitive move to have more accurate casting. I appreciate ND for all the diversity they bring to their games, and I really do love Nadine as a character, but this particular instance was the wrong call.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Are guys also against a Brit playing an American Spiderman?

An Aussie playing Thor?

Or British actors in lead American roles such as House?

How about Matt Damon playing a South African with the accent and all?

A British born (despite his heritage), authentic Brit accent and all playing Ghandi?

How about Americans playing all Asian roles in English dubs of games and movies?

Where do you draw the line?
I draw the line at real life and who doesn't get prime acting roles. There's a reason men shouldn't play trans women. It's because it continues the dangerous narrative that trans women are just men. Now you can say "well that's different", but that's the point. It's different. Just as white people playing black characters is different from everything you just said. Because reality is nuanced and your argument isn't.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
He, Neil, wanted to hurt the people doing the lynching, not that the guys doing the lynching were doing it for revenge.

Source is https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/the-last-of-us-part-ii-neil-druckmann-interview
yeah i think people need to understand that this was about him processing HIS emotions. NOT him inferring the motives of the lynchings. it also needs to be understood that "lynching" doesn't JUST exist in the american context. Hangings exist in many different disturbing contexts. The literal definition is an extrajudicial hanging by a violent mob.

regardless, this was about the emotions Neil was feeling and processing. not about both sidesing the lynchers.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Lost Legacy explored Chloe's Indian ancestry and she's played by a white woman too. Why's Laura Bailey being called out? Why not the very not-Indian Claudia Black? Both are extremely problematic, but Chloe always gets a free pass for some reason.

Chloe was established as Claudia Black for three games before they retconned her into being half-Indian. At no point before UC:LL was her ethnicity ever confirmed or even discussed.

It's a slightly different situation than casting a character with the wrong ethnicity at the creation phase.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): dismissive platform warring in a sensitive thread
I see dunking on ND season is still in full flow.

Nov 1, 2017
I read through the first two pages. No one outright supported it. Maybe after? And maybe a couple of the total posts. 40% say it's okay in the poll. Maybe 1% of posts in this thread explain why it's okay. Hmmm...
So engage with them? I'm sure there are plenty of people who voted Yes in bad faith but the question in the poll differs from the root issue in this thread. I voted Yes and I still stick by it.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
It certainly feels like that.

I love Naughty Dog, but it's been disappointing time and time again how htis forum treats the issues from their games differently than with other studios. This goes back to GAF, not necessarily an Era thing.
You mean the same issues they have been called out on on this site and back on the old site in the past when this stuff first came to light? Don't get the bizarre poll results confused with the site not calling out ND on the shyt they do and have done.

Im sorry but the concept of assuming a certain accent and voice to be for a race rather than a character sounds very stereotypical and racist to me ngl.
They just chose the voice they liked for the character.
they gave chances to people from other races but werent happy with the results. Doesnt mean they were doing a bad job. Just means it wasnt the certain voice they were looking for.
I dont understand why thats racist?
While I maintain that the VA should've been replaced after the final decision on the character art was made, it is far from racism that influenced the direction ND went with.

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
Honest question, would it be better if localized Japanese games have VA's with Japanese ethnicity? Meaning future JRPG's like Persona should have Japanese Americans cast for their dubs?

Should future Persona spinoffs recast their VAs for past games? No more Liam I Brien for Akihiko, Laura Bailey for Rise, etc?

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
She didn't even do a good South African accent. They just cast an actress they liked because she's popular and famous, and didn't give her a character she could play well.
ok, thats a way better criticism. But i mean VA industry has been known for not using different, less known VAs. Which is the real problem here.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
You mean Marvel's Avengers: Featuring The Cast of Critical Role?

IDK why they didn't use the cast of Earth's Mightiest heroes

then again this is the same game that responded with "they aren't supposed to look like the movie versions" when people pointed out how bad the models looked as if the actors in the MCU weren't at least partially based off how they looked in the comics

Psrock1

Oct 27, 2017
Lol at that poll. If this wasn't Naughty Dog they would be destroyed everywhere for doing this. It was fucked up then, it is even more fucked up now when you guys go all #BLM on your social's while saying A WHITE WOMAN PLAYING A BLACK ONE IS FINE. THE NAUGHTY GODS CAN'T DO NO WRONG #GODS. Get a grip. Anyone doing that is just damn wrong.

I'm sorry, but your response shows way more about your agenda than the poll.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, there's absolutely no reason to recast Chloe. The character is still part Australian, so I don't really think it's fair to recast her after like 8 years in the role due to what is basically a retcon, unless you replace her with an Indian-Australian actress.
It's not the sae issue at all.
Sure it is, Chloe is not white. She's played by a white actress. Just because the white actress can do the same accent that Chloe would have doesn't make it OK, just like it doesn't make Nadine OK.

Why would this only apply to black characters and not Indian (or any other non-white) characters?

People were upset Emma Stone played a biracial Asian character in that one movie for a reason.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
ok, thats a way better criticism. But i mean VA industry has been known for not using different, less known VAs. Which is the real problem here.

You don't think the two issues are tied together though? That the VA industry A) likes to recycle the same voices over and over and B) those voices are almost overwhelmingly white?

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It's not okay that a white woman played a black woman. If TLOU2 is anything to go by, they have hopefully learned from that casting mistake & will not make it again.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are guys also against a Brit playing an American Spiderman?

An Aussie playing Thor?

Or British actors in lead American roles such as House?

How about Matt Damon playing a South African with the accent and all?

A British born (despite his heritage), authentic Brit accent and all playing Ghandi?

How about Americans playing all Asian roles in English dubs of games and movies?

Where do you draw the line?

Aside from Matt Damon playing a South African, these examples are disingenuous.

Oct 27, 2017
Honest question, would it be better if localized Japanese games have VA's with Japanese ethnicity? Meaning future JRPG's like Persona should have Japanese Americans cast for their dubs?

Should future Persona spinoffs recast their VAs for past games? No more Liam I Brien for Akihiko, Laura Bailey for Rise, etc?
i don't see why not. there ARE japanese voice actors out there.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

I think dubs are different, but I don't see why not.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, honestly I think that's part of what I disliked about Nadine. It felt completely cynical that they wanted the brownie points for making diverse characters while not bothering to hire a black actor.

And as much as I have enjoyed Troy Baker or Laura Bailey and the rest of that group, I'm so tired of seeing the exact same cast in every goddamn game. Cast new people ffs.

The fragile alt-right bombardment of TLoU2 and ND employees is not grounds to defend every bit of garbage ND has pulled. This was garbage, is garbage, and should not be tolerated.
Very much this.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
why im not surprised the user was trying to be vague
yeah bye thread

you should be ashamed. disgusting. people trying to have a sensitive discussion, and you come up with this shit
Considering that the lynching that happens in TLOU2 is completely divorced from it's real world racial context I think that is a very fair point for them to have brought up.

True_fan

Banned
Mar 19, 2020
This is disingenous.

They need to be rightfully called out on stuff like this (they were heavily criticzed back then too), but this doesnt take away the fact that every single other black character on their games were voice by black actors/actress.

They even got the Marlene voice actress (black woman) to voice a white character in UC4.

Also... have you seen how much TLOU2 is being destroyed online because of representation (LGBT in this case)? I also dont know any case about white voive actors voicing the black characters in that game.
That's why I put they want to act like they care. Its so few black VA jobs in the industry, that even one getting eliminated is felt. That Druckmann explanation is what really upset me. I haven't played tlou2 yet, so I can't fully judge their growth, but this is just not a good look.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
can the 355 of you who voted "yes" please reveal yourselves so I could make sure to never take you seriously

grizzmo

Oct 31, 2017
Laura recently answered a question regarding her role as Nadine:

Don't think we'll get a recast, but I appreciate her candor in saying she should have done more and won't be taking a role like this in the future.

Fresh off The Last of Us 2 though...isn't Dina a brown, Jewish woman? Shannon Woodward from Westworld played the role. While less egregious as the Nadine situation, still troublesome.

Don't get me wrong, both were outstanding in the roles, but roles going to people so closely involved on production side that could have gone to POCs...it's kinda rough.

Hard to believe a real black woman wouldn't be good enough to play a fictional black woman.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
That's the one thing I really hope changes at some point with voice actors. Hearing Laura Bailey, Troy Baker, Steve Blum and Nolan North's voice in almost every game I play is actually distracting because their voices are so distinct and recognizable after hearing them continuously. It would be pretty cool if there was some sort of Union based rule or something that would try to regulate this in a fair and reasonable manner that gives other aspiring overshadowed VA's in the industry a chance to shine. Like not monopolize the whole industry with maybe limiting VA's to only like a set amount of projects within a time period a va can have or something like that idk. Just SOMETHING that encourages more diversity of VA's and less monopolization would be pretty refreshing.

Last edited:

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Chloe was established as Claudia Black for three games before they retconned her into being half-Indian. At no point before UC:LL was her ethnicity ever confirmed or even discussed.

It's a slightly different situation than casting a character with the wrong ethnicity at the creation phase.
I edited my post, but the question has to be why did they suddenly make her Indian? They just make so many head scratching decisions.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
You mean the same issues they have been called out on on this site and back on the old site in the past when this stuff first came to light? Don't get the bizarre poll results confused with the site not calling out ND on the shyt they do and have done.

While I maintain that the VA should've been replaced after the final decision on the character art was made, it is far from racism that influenced the direction ND went with.
Nah. Same thing happened when the article came out about their crunch practice. Some people just don't care because it's their favorite dev.

May 19, 2020
There was a thread about this a few months ago and I will say again that we have no way of knowing what was agreed to between ND and Laura Bailey. If the design wasn't finalized when Laura signed her contract there is no issue with anything she did. ND either didn't want to pay Laura out to cast another VA or simply didn't care.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Laura recently answered a question regarding her role as Nadine:

Don't think we'll get a recast, but I appreciate her candor in saying she should have done more and won't be taking a role like this in the future.

See? Laura gets it. It's not like it was malicious on her part. The failure is on Naughty Dog.