• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
voice acting has room for diversity in the literal sense and in the "get more than just 3-4 people voicing everything" sense so fuck this in the future

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
About 40% of y'all engaged in straight clownery with that answer.

SystemBug

Oct 25, 2017
The wild thing about this to me is that Laura Bailey isn't an unknown voice actress, I bet she eats plenty enough. This role could have gone to an actual black woman.

Deleted member 59261

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
If I remember correctly Bailey got the job, and then they finished the characters design. This is not Bailey's fault in any way. She simply got a job. The design team or the director should've had a better idea of how the character would look beforehand so this controversy could've been all avoided.

Laura Bailey's response to this controversy.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It did seem as nuanced as this kind of thing could be.

> The character was South African and caucasian designs were being considered.
> Uncharted 4 was a project they were trying to rescue from development hell, I seem to recall that they didn't have the luxury of showing someone new the motion capture ropes (or that the experience was a key part of the choice).
> They cast Merle Dandridge (Alyx in Half-Life, Marlene in TLOU1) as Evelyn, a white character in Uncharted 4.

For context's sake. They didn't seem comfortable with how it ended up.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The character is probably never gonna be used again, so recasting is probably unnecessary at this point at least.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
From what I understand, her race and look were determined after the fact of Laura being chosen as the actress and having started recording the performance.

Still doesn't make it great, but seems like less of a malicious thing, and more of a very stupid oversight.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
User Banned (1 Month): Inflammatory false equivalence and drive-by post.
Im gonna have to look this up but didn't they also cast a poc voice actor as a white person in that game too?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Polls exist (especially when they are anonymous) on this site for people mostly to troll or hide shitty opinions. Im not even sure why you'd have a poll for a topic like this. It's pointless.

Oct 25, 2017
There are white people in South Africa who (of course) speak with that accent. This may have been an inappropriate decision in many ways but this isn't black face or doing a "black voice" or anything like that.

A. I've never heard any South African, black or white, speak with the accent Bailey affected for the role.

B. I think the poster you quoted was less concerned about the accent and more concerned about the fact that a white woman voiced and mocapped a black character.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Like, the idea of south african representation in a big AAA game was actually really cool, I love hearing all sorts of different accents. But then, Nadine, oh hey, here comes Laura Bailey putting on a so-so accent at best..................and if that weren't enough, the character she plays is black. WTF. A company like ND has insane resources and they make extremely story heavy games. She isnt just some small nobody npc either.

I think Naughty Dog even beyond this has a problem with not giving lesser known actors a chance, but thats a conversation for another topic

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It was absolutely not ok.

I don't think they will go back to Uncharted, but I doubt they will commit the same mistake again. At least they didn't in Part II that I'm aware.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If I remember correctly Bailey got the job, and then they finished the characters design. This is not Bailey's fault in any way. She simply got a job. The design team or the director should've had a better idea of how the character would look beforehand so this controversy could've been all avoided.

Laura Bailey's response to this controversy.

I don't blame her for the performance. I blame her for not respectfully stepping down when the character design came out. She already did the work, so she would've been paid anyways, but the role needed to be recast.

And I especially blame Neil Druckmann for writing a character who grew up DURING APARTHEID IN FUCKING SOUTH AFRICA and not knowing whether the character was black or white until after recording their fucking voice acting.

oni_gank

Banned
May 13, 2019
The OP's thread title seems exaggerating. I don't see it matches with what actually been said in the quote.

4KLobster

Dec 17, 2017
Japan
Wouldn't care if a black actor would voice a white character or an Asian woman for a white character to be honest...

Though, besides artistic grounds, there are indeed considerations regarding equal opportunities.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
As a minority I find it hard to believe that all of these "progressive" devs actually care about us and not solely about making money. It's really telling when stuff like this happens and a supposed "ally" shrugs it off and just says "Well, she sounded better!". It just reminds me of Blizzard making some characters LGBTQ+ but only in the US because they're scared of how other markets (China) would react to it.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's the only thing hanging over Naughty Dog for me

it's amazing how so many people forgot about this

kotaku.com

Former Naughty Dog Employee Says He Was Fired After Filing Sexual Harassment Complaint

A former employee of the highly-regarded video game development studio Naughty Dog has accused the company of terminating him after he says he filed a complaint that he was sexually harassed by someone else at the studio. In a statement, Naughty Dog says it has no record of these allegations. In...

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
If you need to make an accent, you have your answer. Nope.
The " we knew she was Nadine" is also very weird. If the character isn't finalized, I can't see how you can BE the character.
So bad and poor excuse.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
the quote at the end of OP.

The quote at the end of the OP doesn't say this...

and said she was better than actual SouthAfrican black women

The only person who said that is you.

As explained in the thread, Laura Bailey was cast prior to Nadine being designed, so I don't know how you got to that inflammatory quote in your OP that completely undermines any good points you may have made.

As also said in the thread, ND should have recast Nadine once they came to the final design being a black woman.

Namtab

Oct 27, 2017
There is not excuse for this since we know from Rockstar that you can get nobodies to do a good job.

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Yeah this was a bummer then and is still a bummer now. Especially cause she was a pretty rad character. Sounds like casting stuff around TLOU2 was better.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that there are so few chances for minority actors to get a gig in game voice acting at all makes it feel bad. Laura Bailey is on Nolan North, and Troy Baker's level of voicing any and every character. While she sounded different for this character hearing her for the TLOU2 character just made me think of some of her other characters, especially Saints Row.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It continues to be disappointing how a black role can't be filled with a black actor/actress. It was never really appropriate that a well-off studio opted for a white woman for their 4th game in a successful franchise for their black character. The excuse I've seen that the characters design was decided after the performance doesn't work, it makes it feel almost like conscious digital blackface to me.

I think many of the actors in the common circles of mocap and voice acting are quite talented but at this point, their presence feels really oversaturated and is starting to feel like it's both creatively uninspired and a genuinely stifling status quo to new and more diverse talent.

True_fan

Banned
Mar 19, 2020
This is so messed up. ND basically doesn't give a damn about diversity, they just want to act like they do.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Something that bothers me in some media is having a Latino character who is supposed to speak perfect Spanish, but their accent is either very rough or it happens to be from another country that is not their own (because the actor is, for example, Cuban, but the character is Mexican or something like that, that shit's jarring).

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
No one cares outside of the occasional spurts of mock outrage as long as beloved ND keeps making games.

Deleted member 4067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's amazing how so many people forgot about this

kotaku.com

Former Naughty Dog Employee Says He Was Fired After Filing Sexual Harassment Complaint

A former employee of the highly-regarded video game development studio Naughty Dog has accused the company of terminating him after he says he filed a complaint that he was sexually harassed by someone else at the studio. In a statement, Naughty Dog says it has no record of these allegations. In...

They get so many passes

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it was a good idea to keep Laura Bailey as Nadine, I also look back and thinking about it now, her role in Binary Domain comes off as a bit problematic (accent didn't help). Designs change yes, but you could also change her role, plus Nate's brother was recast to Troy Baker, you could've done the same in this situation.

Marvel's Avengers is the most cynical version of this.
The trailer introducing the cast like that did not sit well with me...it was just off-putting.