• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And now imagine how much better it would've been if someone who could actually do the accent correctly was playing the role.
You and I have a different interpretation for better, I don't see the importance of having the VA match the characters, not in games or any other animated characters, it's on the director to make sure it matches to his vision.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind an actual Japanese person doing Samurai Jack since Jack's accent always struck me as problematic when it's a black dude doing it.

Ya'll don't have some gotcha with this whatabout argument. You're just fucking stupid.

Here's the funny part. Phil LaMarr is such a nice guy that if Tartakovsky decided to reboot Samurai Jack with a Japanese voice actor I bet Phil would be THRILLED for that actor. LaMarr knows better than most of us how hard it is for a voice artist of color to get a defining role like that.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't mind an actual Japanese person doing Samurai Jack since Jack's accent always struck me as problematic when it's a black dude doing it.

Ya'll don't have some gotcha with this whatabout argument. You're just fucking stupid.

It's not accurate race casting, but it's not really problematic because Phil himself is a PoC as a black man (plus, his voice work as Samurai Jack is iconic).

The issue here is whitewashing.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Here's the funny part. Phil LaMarr is such a nice guy that if Tartakovsky decided to reboot Samurai Jack with a Japanese voice actor I bet Phil would be THRILLED for that actor. LaMarr knows better than most of us how hard it is for a voice artist of color to get a defining role like that.

Phil LaMarr is awesome. I loved him in mad tv, and he did a great job as Vamp from metal gear solid.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I'm black I disagree with all this. It's actually really upsetting.
Not voting because overall for Nadine I agree they should have figured out the character's background first and not make that mistake again and recasted, but I do think she gave a good performance as she's one of the better VAs in the business.
You don't think he should have gotten the Samurai Jack role?

Last edited:

Contranova

Oct 26, 2017
NYC
Of course I'm talking about Nadine from Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy. She was supposedly added as a representation of powerful women in gaming. It's completely tone deaf to have one of the few major black female characters in gaming and having her be voiced by a white girl doing an accent.

Now with a lot of pushback occurring for having black/multiracial characters played by white voice actors, is it time for Naughty Dog to make amends and change Nadine's VA for future roles? How many black voice actors land AAA mainstream roles, it's messed up that for the few black characters there are, white people are taking those roles.

And what should making things right look like? Should ND go back and edit voices of Lost Legacy and U4 with a new black voice actor? Or would a Twitter apology be enough?

this is what they said last time;

6fa09680799b6b78a3f100efb65090b2b2fde821v2_00.jpg

The quote kills me because you're saying that among all the thousands of EXTREMELY talented black actors, you can't find one? That only means they didn't even TRY.

If they really wanted to cast a black person to play a black role, then 110% sure they will find it.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
This is one time where I can't tear my eyes from this thread. As a POC, this thread is a fucking disgrace.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
The quote kills me because you're saying that among all the thousands of EXTREMELY talented black actors, you can't find one? That only means they didn't even TRY.

If they really wanted to cast a black person to play a black role, then 110% sure they will find it.

The character originally was not black. They designed the character after casting the voice actor. Not saying they should not have asked Laura to withdraw from the role but it is more nuanced then just wrong casting decision.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This. Also yeah, I think most people liked her performance.

I guess Phil LaMarr shouldn't have gotten the part for Samurai Jack, despite being incredible in the role.
Edit: Beaten lol

Why do people keep using this example? Phil LaMarr is a black man.

Nadine is a PoC voiced by a white woman, hence the term "whitewashing."

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo, I'm on your side of the argument here, but, this is kind of a fucked up comparison.

It's not, though. Black Lives Matter isn't just about police brutality. It's about systemic inequities that prevent Black men and women from participating in what white people get to in every aspect of life.

It's only a fucked up comparison if you look at each individual inequity as a single thing and not part of an incredibly fucked up tapestry that creates a whole picture.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
She got slapped also in the game. Did Elena ever get slapped in the series?
Uhh..Elena gets blown up point blank by a grenade and it's honestly astounding that she survived.

The character is straight up based on a real life black actress
Citation needed. Note by UC4 ND would actually go in an scan real life people as the basis for their characters and that actress is on record saying that she was not involved with the project.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Chloe was played by a white actress too
Wasn't Chloe retconned to being half indian (I assume the other half is white Aussie, but I couldn't find any information about the mother's side) . She's pretty much portrayed as a white Aussie in 2 and 3. And Claudia Black has a real distinct voice, I can't imagine how you could recast without significantly changing her voice.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
He's fantastic in everything he does. One of the most consistently talented actors in the voice field.

That makes it worse, not better.

They cast their actors in advance of the characters design. Hence there was a white character in the game voiced by a black woman as far as I remember. Not saying its right though. They should maybe start casting options after finalizing the design and have done a much better job with TLOU Part 2.

Contranova

Oct 26, 2017
NYC
The character originally was not black. They designed the character after casting the voice actor. Not saying they should not have asked Laura to withdraw from the role but it is more nuanced then just wrong casting decision.
Hmm, they should have just made the character latina then, instead of designing her to be black. It's not like her ethnicity/race was detrimental to the story anyway.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You guys need a reality check.
Merle Dandridge(Jap-American) AKA Alyx Vance(Black-Asian)
Terrence C. Carson(Afro-American), Christopher Judge(Afro-American), Antony Del Rio(Hispanic?) AKA Kratos (Middle-eastern/Greek)

I can go on and on but really this isn't worth the time to even discuss, Voice actors are interchangeable depending on the required tonality of the characters, skin color is irrelevant either way.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people keep using this example? Phil LaMarr is a black man.

beceuse people, either out of sheer ignorance, or simply being intentionally disingenous, keep coming at this issue from the standpoint that the playing field is equal. "Well if a block person can play a white role I don't understand why a white person can't play a black role". They are literally using the same logic that racists use when trying to argue that white people should be able to say the N-word, and again, it's going over their head either intentionally or out of pure ignorance.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
It's even worse than that. The character is straight up based on a real life black actress that I'm going to assume they never even approached to play the character(If they did and she declined, ripping off her likeness and hiring someone else who is white to do it would be worse yet):

HZ2xsy0.jpg
Did they do a facial scan for her?

Strikingly similar.

May 17, 2018
It's not, though. Black Lives Matter isn't just about police brutality. It's about systemic inequities that prevent Black men and women from participating in what white people get to in every aspect of life.

It's only a fucked up comparison if you look at each individual inequity as a single thing and not part of an incredibly fucked up tapestry that creates a whole picture.

Yeah, you're right, fair point.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They cast their actors in advance of the characters design. Hence there was a white character voiced by a black woman as far as I remember. Not saying its right though. They should maybe start casting options after finalizing the design.

Here's the thing. If you cast a white actress, don't make the character black after the fact. It's not like her South African ancestry mattered at all to the character in the final script, they just picked an accent because it sounds exotic.

The whole character's just a mess.

Oct 25, 2017
How many actors of all races have done terrible accents in movies. I'm an animator that means I should only animate characters of the same race? Wtf

I have no idea what your second sentence has to do with the topic at hand, but I was disputing your point about ND getting the best actor for the job. Even ignoring the gross digital blackface aspect of the situation, Bailey clearly wasn't the best actor for this role given her performance.

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
She played a character strawberry shortcake in an animation. Strawberry shortcake is white, my friend is black. I'm saying that according to OP she should not have gotten that job.
The dynamics are different, white people don't have a history of erasure in media. Just look at West Side Story or Aliens where they painted people brown in order to portray dark skinned characters. Combine this with the history of blackface and you can see it's just not the same.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Chloe retconned to being half indian (I assume the other half is white Aussie, but I couldn't find any information about the mother's side) . She's pretty much portrayed as a white Aussie in 2 and 3. And Claudia Black has a real distinct voice, I can't imagine how you could recast without significantly changing her voice.
if they suddenly made her indian, they could've changed the VA.
otherwise don't do it

Nov 1, 2017
The poll results disproportionate to the amount of people posting that they're okay with it with white people being casted for black character roles. Many are willing to hide their opinions anonymously but are too cowardly to be called out on it.
I'll share then, because I absolutely don't doubt that there are many people with the wrong mindset voting "Yes" but I don't agree with what the OP is pitching.

If we consider the reasons people are giving as to why Laura Bailey shouldn't have voiced Nadine the answer is either A) She does a poor job or B) She is not black. In regards to argument A, it's a valid point to recast but it's under the assumption that the replacement would do a better job when there's no guarantee that a replacement (black or otherwise) would do better. Argument B is what everyone should focus on because that pokes at the issue within the industry, that voice actors of color do not have nearly enough representation.

I voted "Yes" because I am of the opinion that (in most cases) your skin tone should not have a bearing on who you voice, that we should get many more POC voice actors regardless of the ethnicity of the characters that they voice. The golden example I can think of is Cree Summer (Freddie from A Different World, Susie from Rugrats, Elmyra from Tiny Toons, Auriel from Diablo) who has an absolutely gigantic list of characters to her name. Seriously, just go through her credits and take a look at how many different characters she's voice. A lot of people are brushing off the argument that Kratos being voiced by a black man is a one-off thing but many POC voice actors end up voicing white characters because there just aren't that many POC characters to begin with. I want more diversity in the characters that we see and I want more diversity in the people that voice the characters but if the existing POC voice actors have shown me anything it's that your skin tone and your characters skin tone often don't have a relationship.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
It doesn't even seem like Troy Baker or Laura Bailey even have to audition to get roles. They just come automatic.

Stook

Oct 30, 2017
Not voting because overall for Nadine I agree they should have figured out the character's background first and not make that mistake again, but I do think she gave a good performance as she's one of the better VAs in the business.
You don't think he should have gotten the Samurai Jack role?
If the voice fits. That's all. I would argue there should be more black, ethnic( I hate that word ) etc characters period. In general Games should be more inclusive of all races. I've worked on games where white black mexican Asian actors played different races and you the player would never know.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because it's not specifically about lynching nor was that the sole inspiration for the game but one of many events in his life hat he noted as inspiration for the themes of the story.
Yeah I'm aware, I'm criticizing the game's use of lynching for shock value, presenting lynching as de-racialized, and doing all of that while saying nothing about lynching. Better to just not have it at all.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people keep using this example? Phil Lamarr is a black man.

You're right I jumped to post too following on a specific post, it was bad and I didn't intend it as a comparison which is why it was on a different line but just as an agreement with the poster above that he was a great casting and that a black man/woman should be cast for more characters any character that their voice fits including like others have said having more black lead characters for them to play as well, but that too completely missed the point of the issue since I didn't read the poll so it was still wrong.

If the voice fits. That's all. I would argue there should be more black, ethnic( I hate that word ) etc characters period. In general Games should be more inclusive of all races. I've worked on games where white black mexican Asian actors played different races and you the player would never know.
That's what I intended to say by saying he was great in the role.

Last edited:

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
white guy looks at white girl doing bad south african accent, proclaims "ahh, that's nadine"

tons of resetera users proceed to not see an issue

Alex2DX

Nov 6, 2017
I mean if its really the case, picking the best voice actress for the part makes total sense, but then don't design the character to be black when the actress isn't. Thats such an odd choice.

Oct 27, 2017
Here's the thing. If you cast a white actress, don't make the character black after the fact. It's not like her South African ancestry mattered at all to the character in the final script, they just picked an accent because it sounds exotic.

The whole character's just a mess.
Also here's the other thing , maybe don't cast the same 5 people in everything and branch out a little bit.

Stook

Oct 30, 2017
The dynamics are different, white people don't have a history of erasure in media. Just look at West Side Story or Aliens where they painted people brown in order to portray dark skinned characters. Combine this with the history of blackface and you can see it's just not the same.
Not the same thing. Nobody is painting anybody's skin. This is not blackface. Go look up Al Jolston, Minstral show to see what blackface actually is.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's one thing if it's a dub where you need a lot of actors to cover a bunch of characters who are presumably not all white(bar instances like FMA) but for a single woman of color in a western made IP? Yeah no I may have defended this a few years ago by they goofed here.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Months): Dismissive trolling in a sensitive thread. Previously banned for trolling.
How is it disingenuous? He's referencing perhaps the most well known type of systemic violence in US history as a source of inspiration and made a game all about personal grudges and vendettas.

It's disingenuous when you ignore half of the quote and substitute a false interpretation of what he's saying in order to condemn it.

No, I'm not budging on this point. You can't have a character who's a mercenary from South Africa and not even think about how apartheid effected her growing up. If you don't do that, you're a bad writer. Apartheid is too intrinsically tied to South Africa's cultural history to just NOT address.

I don't care how married you are to your incorrect assessment. An author at any time can reexamine their own assumptions about a character they are creating and their past. How do you think Apartheid goes unaddressed? I assume you memorized the entire script in order to support your assertion? Or is it more realistic to think one day while working on the character and seeing the black designs he thought, "well, what if she was black?" and started to work that out in his head and on the page and in his collaboration with Bailey? What must her journey have been like to go from that history to running a successful mercenary outfit only to lose it again? Does it not count unless she starts every sentence with "as a black South African who experienced Apartheid"? Does Ellie need to start every line with "as a confirmed homosexual"?

She didn't even do a good job with the accent, though. They just cast her because she's famous.

If you think accent accuracy is the only thing that matters in a performance, not sure why anyone should trust any of your opinions.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Performance? Yes. Accent? No. Most people aren't even familiar with what that sort of accent sounds like so ofc it would be adequate.

As much as I like Uncharted they absolutely get away with a lot of stuff because they audience is mostly from acountry that doesn't know what it's like for real. Her accent being just one thing.

Standard Hollywood/videogame fare ofcourse, every game out there does it to some extent, but I didn't realise how much till I showed my friend this game (she's from India). Safe to say she had some choice opinions about LL first level.

Back to Nadine though, I've known a couple of women from South Africa and not one of them sounds even close to Nadine. Even that aside it's one f those voices that just isn't natural. Sounds like someone putting on an accent rather than an actual accent

Deleted member 21858

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah they should have recast iconic James Earl Jones after it was revealed that Vader was white in Return of the Jedi

What I mean is... please let the creative director have his own vision for the film/game/whatever else the fuck it is. If you don't like it, don't buy it. It's simple. It's fine to not agree with the casting of a white VA for a black character, but I think it's too far to "demand" the change and even more to call people that don't agree with it racists.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
When this was first brought up years ago, I was of two minds about it. I thought a black actress should be the primary person given the role but then I thought about how so many Asian characters in anime, who share a big voice talent pull with videogames, are voices by white actors and that didn't seem so bad to me. But then I thought Scarlett Johansson being cast in the role of Major Kusanagi in Ghost in the Shell and as Asian person, I thought it was wrong because not only was an Asian character being changed into a white person but also because it was also denying Asian actors a role in a Hollywood blockbuster movie. So image for a lot of people, Nadine is the same way. There are so few black characters in games and few black actresses proportional to their white counterparts. By casting Laura Bailey as Nadine, that took away from under represented community a chance to have a major role in a big AAA game.

Sure, but they don't need to cast the black VAs specifically for black roles. Nadine being voiced by a white VA isn't any more outrageous than Elena being voiced by a white VA.

They (and other devs) need more black VAs but it is a systemic problem, any one casting decision is just a drop in the ocean.

Indeed, a future where you see white characters being played by black VAs and vice-versa is a lot more desirable than a world where we have segregated roles for each race.

So I'm with you if you say "90% of the VAs in gaming are white, and that's bad" or "90% of ND's VAs have been white, and that needs to be fixed." Those percentages need to change. But the problem lies the aggregate numbers, and no individual casting is necessarily at fault. And if, say, 50% of the VAs are white I would want them to take up 50% of the black characters - and vice versa: if 25% of the VAs are black I would expect them to be cast to interpret 25% of the white roles as well. I think this is what we all would like to happen.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
OP
OP
LifeLine

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

its insane they Found actual South Africans to audition for them and still picked the person doing a fake accent

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do the people throwing random black VAs around realize they're doing the, "I have a black friend" shit and sound ridiculously ignorant or nah?