• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a bit strange to treat VA the same as IRL acting when it comes to things like this. This isn't even a GHOST IN THE SHELL caliber blunder, considering the model was finalized after she was cast. Ideally, I would have loved for a black VA to get the shine that comes from starring in a ND joint, but I'm not going to kill the studio for this.

I hope we get a black lead in a ND game. They're games cross over in a way that so few do, so it would be a great look. IW brought Gaz back as a black British dude and they survived. No more excuses in this industry.

Are you not making excuses by downplaying it? You like to describe this as "bothersome but not egregious". You'd love for it to happen but you can shrug it off regardless. It's not literally a white person putting make up on to become a person of color, but it's a white person taking a POC role from a POC all the same.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't good and while you can follow their thought process in terms of how things unfolded, they should have apologized then and vowed to do better. They sort of doubled down in their reasoning and by doing it again for Lost Legacy. Seems like TLOU2 was a step in the right direction but Nadine in Lost Legacy aside (who was still Laura Bailey obviously), I'd like to see a minority lead in their future games.

Of course, separate from that, I'm finding out how just how deep the rabbit hole goes in terms of seemingly just how much of the gaming community loves playing badass white men.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honest question, would it be better if localized Japanese games have VA's with Japanese ethnicity? Meaning future JRPG's like Persona should have Japanese Americans cast for their dubs?

Should future Persona spinoffs recast their VAs for past games? No more Liam I Brien for Akihiko, Laura Bailey for Rise, etc?
Those are dubs, not the same thing at all. But sure they should make an effort to have diverse casting in general. Since it's a dub you can cast black, asian, latino, Pacific islander, native American, etc. actors all in the same dub with no issues. But no, those dubs are overwhelmingly white because white is considered the default in our society.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it was fucked up back them and it was fucked up now, I supposed the fanbase that this studio has will not change their stance until ND does.

They will do the usual "The Best (White person) got the job, be better blacks", mention Phil Lamarr doing Vamp and maybe imply that bringing up this bs is fue due a coordinated alt right effort to ruin this their favorite exploitaive studio.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I edited my post, but the question has to be why did they suddenly make her Indian? They just make so many head scratching decisions.

Like NinjaScooter said, the entire reason seemed to just be "this game is set in India, let's try and sidestep the white person destroying cultural history thing by making Chloe Indian!"

As progressive as ND tries to be, they're incredibly prone to making stupid unforced errors where representation and cultural issues are concerned.

Nov 8, 2017
Maybe I'm tone deaf, but I played those games in April and had no idea.

Unfortunately don't have much more to add. I see both sides of the argument.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
They corrected the cast on the game released last week.

So this thread has nothing to be discussed other than "fuck ND" and "fans of ND are the worst"
This has literally nothing to do with you or other Naughty Dog fans. Your attachment to this studio has given you a persecution complex. This is about representation and opportunities for minority actors playing minority characters. Stop inserting yourself, you don't matter in this conversation.

Oct 27, 2017
Looked up Laura Bailey's other game roles, she did Kait Diaz in Gears 4+5. I don't know how the Gears universe works tho, but wouldn't this be another instance of this? Plz correct me if I'm wrong. I can't find much about Laura's background.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Laura Bailey said:
"it happened to look… very different than me. And that was difficult. Not because it changed anything about my performance. Nadine was the same woman. But suddenly, because she had a different skin color than I did, there was a chance some would deem my portrayal unacceptable."
As far as I can find out, white people and black people from South Africa do not speak with the same accent, so uhh

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Looked up Laura Bailey's other game roles, she did Kait Diaz in Gears 4+5. I don't know how the Gears universe works tho, but wouldn't this be another instance of this? Plz correct me if I'm wrong. I can't find much about Laura's background.

pretty much. The way the game industry works you'd think there were only like 5 voice actors in the world.

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
In an industry where it's difficult for PoC to get hired for roles even voicing PoCs, it absolutely was a shitty thing for them to do.

I know they finalized her design after casting, but was it before the lines were recorded? If so, I also feel Laura should have stepped up and said something.
I can understand not giving up a role when you're a struggling VA, but Laura Bailey is absolutely not that.

Yeah, really shitty of all involved.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
This has literally nothing to do with you or other Naughty Dog fans. Your attachment to this studio has given you a persecution complex. This is about representation and opportunities for minority actors playing minority characters. Stop inserting yourself, you don't matter in this conversation.

You really don't see any commentary like what I wrote?

I'm not quoting them for you.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely remember. I also remember people on this very board defending it because its Naughty Dog. Maybe you can even find the original topic on this board with all the defenders.

The amount of mental gymnastics people do here to defend Naughty Dog is something else. They're certain that i'd rather not name but they are always in every ND topic defending them.

As always when it comes to games, ERA racism shows because as long as they can enjoy their game fuck everything else. The percentage of Yes in the polls show it.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Didn't know she was white and just loved there was an African woman playing a major role in a AAA game.

Phil LaMarr voices vamp in MGS and samurai Jack
I was literally going to quote that post and mention Phil myself. He voices a ton of roles across multiple media and projects of a variety of races. Hell the cast of Futurama typically play a few dozen characters at different points, the sole exception is Katey Sagal who only ever voices Leela.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
It would have been telling if Bailey turned down the role. To be clear, I am not saying she should have, but c'mon, she isn't hurting for work. Yes, this should have been stopped first by Druckmann, but if only their was some deeper morality for those that are well cemented in their fields. They really have the power to encourage change.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User banned (permanent): dismissing concerns around representation, prior severe ban around gender identity
Also, I dont want to sound defensive about an issue like this (but will probably sound) but the thread title is outright lying.

It feels like OP really want people to get rilled up and hold the internet pitchforks instead of discussing the issue.

First, that was something from 4 years ago and Naughty Dog has proved with their most recent release that their learned their lesson and some. It feels especially out of place now since the team is being the target of internet bigotry for quite some time now because of the progressive nature of TLOU2. In the end it just seems unnecessary and counterproductive. Like: oh yeah they have their new game launching now with a gay main lead having its sexuality fully explored by the story, black characters, a trans character and strong women, BUT WHAT ABOUT that time when they cast Laura Bailey to play Nadine??? I am not dismissing the critique, but we always talk about actions instead of statements, and when they do just that, a weirdly out of place thread like this happens instead of one praising their evolution on the issue.

And of course, yeah... the thread title is literally false since Neil has never said what it suggests.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
I'm bummed they didnt get a woman (or transwoman) to voice a certain character in last of us 2. Let's hope in the future all videogame with pick people of the right ethnicity and right sexual orientation to voice characters.
I'm not trying to be rude but I legitimately don't even know where to begin unpacking this. Because clearly you know enough to know who was cast as that character, but you didn't pick up on that character being a boy. Your hope for the future is nice, but that future can't happen if people aren't educated enough about the things they're trying to speak on.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't ideal but it's pretty a progressive studio that will probably do their best to match race with the characters going forward. i'm not sweating it, personally.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Nah. Same thing happened when the article came out about their crunch practice. Some people just don't care because it's their favorite dev.
That is always going to happen, but the point remains that ND is held accountable on this site as they were on the old site. Regardless of how much some holds this site up in high regards to progressivism there is always going to be outliers. Also, don't count out people who just use polls to troll with. As sad as that is for such topics as this.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Yeah, it was a very wrong decision for them, I only found out about two years after I played the game and I was very disappointed.
But now another point, does the fact that they took the criticism into account and did a correct casting in their next game (TLOU2) does not make bringing up this subject again almost unnecessary? And I don't mean that criticism is unnecessary, because it is(and I'm going to say again, whoever was responsible for this casting is a complete imbecile), but now we are going in circles in this discussion, I feel that we are not going nowhere. Unless the idea is to educate people on this subject, if it's the case then ignore this entire paragraph.
And holy fuck, what is the reason the poll has this result? It was for ''No'' to be an absolute majority wtf

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Sure it is, Chloe is not white. She's played by a white actress. Just because the white actress can do the same accent that Chloe would have doesn't make it OK, just like it doesn't make Nadine OK.

Why would this only apply to black characters and not Indian (or any other non-white) characters?

People were upset Emma Stone played a biracial Asian character in that one movie for a reason.
But again, Chloe is an existing and established character, who had absolutely no reference to being Indian for 8 years. It is categorically a different thing than them hiring a white woman to voice a character who they end up making black.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissive commentary concerning representation. Minorities can continue to bring up issues that affect them.
I don't think the voice actor should be changed if Nadine appears in future games

I also think that ND can do more to ensure that their casting is appropriate.

Like, the game came out 4 years ago. The debate has been had and no one has added anything new in this thread.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They most definitely should've recast after Nadie was redesigned, and Bailey should've stepped away. Now's a bit late I guess. I don't know how these voice actors feel comfortable doing these roles honestly.

May 19, 2020
In an industry where it's difficult for PoC to get hired for roles even voicing PoCs, it absolutely was a shitty thing for them to do.

I know they finalized her design after casting, but was it before the lines were recorded? If so, I also feel Laura should have stepped up and said something.
I can understand not giving up a role when you're a struggling VA, but Laura Bailey is absolutely not that.

Yeah, really shitty of all involved.
If Laura signed a contract and she walked she could open herself up to breach of contract lawsuit and other legal actions. I'm sure she would have survived financially but entangling yourself that way is not good for anyone, even a celebrity VA.

TuMekeNZ

Oct 27, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
While I voted No and gave my input earlier, I think people need to remember this is not just a ND issue but an entertainment industry issue (just focusing on entertainment as we are talking games) that will hopefully get better.
Yes it should have gotten better a long time ago, or never been an issue in the first place, but here we are. Now is the time for change, for the better.

What I'm getting at is there seems to be a lot of posts more focused on ND and Neil (and I mean it seems like, from some of the comments I have seen, people just have an ax to grind with them) than the actual issue, which again is industry wide. Yes they stuffed up and the majority of us agree. Lets hold them to it in constructive ways rather than just spouting hate, because hate is what got us here in the first place.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's an interesting and important post considering your experience.

I'd take that as more valuable than most of the armchair critics posting here.

Plenty of voice actors that are POC have voiced issues with this. One being okay with it doesn't take away from others not being okay with it. But seemingly, your mind is already made up on the matter so long as you found at least one person that agrees with your stance.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Like, I fully support changing Nadine's VA and once they settled for her final design they should've gone back to recast the role, but holy Beelzebub if that thread title isn't some serious misleading paraphrasing/misquotation.

Oct 27, 2017
I see dunking on ND season is still in full flow.
When you see fragile shitposts like this, the poll makes perfect sense.

As always when it comes to games, ERA racism shows because as long as they can enjoy their game fuck everything else. The percentage of Yes in the polls show it.

Especially this.

The anonymous poll is a nice touch. Haven't seen many of them posting in this thread... shocked at that.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Not necessarily, no one ever batted an eye at Troy Baker playing a native american man. I really hope going into next gen devs do better when it comes to casting. SP already is considering that none of the cast of GoT is white. ND has also done a way better job with TLOU2's casting.

? I've definitely seen a lot of criticism of Baker being cast for Infamous.

I agree that Naughty Dog made a big mistake casting Bailey as Nadine. When you're casting such a major character, the character should be already detailed enough that you know if you need to prioritize BIPOC or other marginalized folks in your casting, not "cast Laura Bailey and then later make the character Black." For a major studio like Naughty Dog whose games become career stepping stones in the VO industry, they had a real opportunity to give a Black actress a spotlight and help set expectations for the rest of the industry.

Raven Prime

Oct 31, 2017
one example does not excuse his point. Read into it what you will.

I dislike hyperbole, if anything these discussions require precision of language and thoughtful approaches. Lack of nuance will make it impossible to uncover the deep issues that should be receiving our attention. And just by reading this thread there are at least 2 other examples that have been brought up.

jrb

Nov 9, 2017
If Laura was the best at the casting then ND did well hiring her, they know better than anyone what they are looking for their cast.

Nov 8, 2017
The problem that needs solving is that there aren't enough minority voice actors getting regular work, or at least getting work as prominent characters in games. "Only black people should voice black characters" is a policy you can implement as a mechanism to improve the number of black VOs getting work, so that's fine, but if your game had a diverse cast I absolutely would not be bothered in any sense if the voices didn't match the characters in ethnicity.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But again, Chloe is an existing and established character, who had absolutely no reference to being Indian for 8 years. It is categorically a different thing than them hiring a white woman to voice a character who they end up making black.
It's still having a white actor voice a non-white character. Chloe doesn't somehow get 'grandfathered in'. Either recast the role or don't retcon the race of the character. The end result was still a game starring two non-white women voiced by two white women.

Like if your only point is 'the circumstances leading to it are different' then yeah, true. But the end result is the same and it's still a problem.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Lost Legacy explored Chloe's Indian ancestry and she's played by a white woman too. Why's it always Laura Bailey being called out? Why not the very not-Indian Claudia Black? Both are extremely problematic, but Chloe always gets a free pass for some reason. I thought it was dreadful that ND focused so much Chloe's dealing with being raised abroad and returning to India and her Father issues that came with that, but still no actress of Indian descent. You could say "well they already cast her actress back in UC2"...well why didn't they cast someone else then? So bonkers how they went about it.
Is she Indian? cant remember exactly but i think she is mixed with white, believe her mother is white and father Indian or the other way around.
As for Nadine, leave the previous games as is and recast her going forward.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
It was wrong for them to do so. However it seems they have massively improved on properly matching minority characters (If you know, you know) to voice actors with TLOU Part II.

May 19, 2020
While I voted No and gave my input earlier, I think people need to remember this is not just a ND issue but an entertainment industry issue (just focusing on entertainment as we are talking games) that will hopefully get better.
Yes it should have gotten better a long time ago, or never been an issue in the first place, but here we are. Now is the time for change, for the better.

What I'm getting at is there seems to be a lot of posts more focused on ND and Neil (and I mean it seems like, from some of the comments I have seen, people just have an ax to grind with them) than the actual issue, which again is industry wide. Yes they stuffed up and the majority of us agree. Lets hold them to it in constructive ways rather than just spouting hate, because hate is what got us here in the first place.
It's Naughty Dog's fault, period. Why all this pointless hand-wringing about "hate"? Report actual hateful posts but don't do this thing where you worry over this "hate" bogeyman that does not really seem to be happening in here. It's simply a distraction.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If Laura was the best at the casting then ND did well hiring her, they know better than anyone what they are looking for their cast.

They just hired a popular, famous voice actress because she's popular and famous. She didn't even do that good a job, especially at playing the character they wrote for her. Her accent is really bad.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People keep bringing up that tidbit from this article very disingenuously.
How is it disingenuous? He's referencing perhaps the most well known type of systemic violence in US history as a source of inspiration and made a game all about personal grudges and vendettas. I feel he missed the forest for the trees from a thematic standpoint. Most violence in real life isn't driven by personal quests for revenge, it's a byproduct of larger systems and political structures.

May 18, 2018
I'm not trying to be rude but I legitimately don't even know where to begin unpacking this. Because clearly you know enough to know who was cast as that character, but you didn't pick up on that character being a boy. Your hope for the future is nice, but that future can't happen if people aren't educated enough about the things they're trying to speak on.
I knew the character was a trans which is why I said the character should of been voiced by someone who's a trans man or woman at the very least.(which I found out later is voiced by a transman) Because i got some verbage mixed up doesnt make my point any less valid or "uneducated"