• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
My problem with naming Rihanna most influential artist of the decade is the consistency. Same with Beyoncé. Both really front loaded their output towards the beginning of the decade, the last few years both have been rather dormant for them. Artists like Taylor and Drake(who would be my pick for this "award") have a more consistent track record this decade, both didn't go more than like two years without releasing new material.

Oct 25, 2017
My problem with naming Rihanna most influential artist of the decade is the consistency. Same with Beyoncé. Both really front loaded their output towards the beginning of the decade, the last few years both have been rather dormant for them. Artists like Taylor and Drake(who would be my pick for this "award") have a more consistent track record this decade, both didn't go more than like two years without releasing new material.

What do you mean consistency. Beyonce comes out with albums every four years. I don't know how you don't get more consistent than that.

Edit: Actually I'm wrong...it's been either 2-3 years with only one album being 4 but that consistency argument just doesn't hold up. Beyonce is not in that conversation. Taylor has just sold more but that's it.

Last edited:

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
k0g7z2xxbov31.png

Hail the queen.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
When you talk influential you gotta look at the fingerprints, relations and relevance. I can see Rihannas kids all over the place. Where are Taylor's? How many people are doing the singing rap thing like Drake?

Taylor is just big.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
She incorporated country music in her albums all the way through Red, released in late 2012, by which point she was already established in both the country and top 40 world. Her first album that completely shed the country sound of her past was 2014's 1989, an album that is just over five years old. And even then 1989's singles still managed to gain airplay on country radio. She definitely has a hand in this decades country/pop crossover trend.

The Shania Twain point doesn't apply here because she wasn't influential to music released this decade, at least not nearly to the point Taylor was/is. Shania is influential from a 20 year distance, Taylor was influential from a current year distance. She has consistently releasing music the entire decade, to much success and similar emulation.
Still, my point is Taylor Swift can't really be credited for bringing country music to the mainstream. The odd country song has been showing up on the pop charts since before anyone knew who Taylor was, think the Carrie Underwood songs, that Kid Rock song, etc. I don't see how she had any influence on that. And I brought up Shania Twain cause she's done the whole mixing of those two genres ages ago, so it wasn't really something pioneered by Swift.

Looking at the landscape of mainstream music in this decade, you can't really see a presence of Taylor Swift type songs dominating the scene. Sure, there was a mega hit country song this year and many will try to replicate its success, but its got nothing to do with Swift.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
I dont like dubstep but wouldn't Skrillex or someone be the most influential?

For rock music its easily the Arctic Monkeys whose smooth rock style has been adopted by so many of their peers.

For pop music Id give it to Max Martin since he writes the songs for almost every major pop artist and has done so since the 90s.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
When you talk influential you gotta look at the fingerprints, relations and relevance. I can see Rihannas kids all over the place. Where are Taylor's? How many people are doing the singing rap thing like Drake?

Taylor is just big.

Drake is not just "singing rap", either, he basically made "sensitive guy" the dominant persona in rap. He's corny as all get out and wasted his talent, but being the biggest-name jumping-off point for what the biggest genre will probably look like for the next decade is, well, more than Taylor Swift has done.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Drake, Beyonce, or Kendrick Lamar, maybe even Future or Young Thug....are more deserving. Their influence on 2010-2020 music and culture is way more palpable and noticeable on a day to day basis than Taylor fucking Swift. Her music is ephemeral, artificial, soulless, empty, designed in a corporate boardroom to align with industry trends. The trends the artists I mentioned are setting

Rap and hip hop is the dominant genre of this decade

Rap and hip hop is literally everything you described as Taylor Swifts music being as.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
Drake is not just "singing rap", either, he basically made "sensitive guy" the dominant persona in rap. He's corny as all get out and wasted his talent, but being the biggest-name jumping-off point for what the biggest genre will probably look like for the next decade is, well, more than Taylor Swift has done.

I was just dropped a single point my guy. Not that there aren't more. Dude casts a long ass shadow. Longer than most.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Still, my point is Taylor Swift can't really be credited for bringing country music to the mainstream. The odd country song has been showing up on the pop charts since before anyone knew who Taylor was, think the Carrie Underwood songs, that Kid Rock song, etc. I don't see how she had any influence on that. And I brought up Shania Twain cause she's done the whole mixing of those two genres ages ago, so it wasn't really something pioneered by Swift.

Looking at the landscape of mainstream music in this decade, you can't really see a presence of Taylor Swift type songs dominating the scene. Sure, there was a mega hit country song this year and many will try to replicate its success, but its got nothing to do with Swift.
i didn't say Swift brought country to the mainstream, country has been mainstream for a long long time. I said the pop country crossovers of this past decade, the scope of this topic, are in part influenced by Swift and her music. Carrie Underwood is also someone responsible for this, but not to the same scale as Swift not by a long shot.

also did not say Swift pioneered anything or that Shania didn't blend country and pop. Hell fact of the matter is Shania didn't pioneer that either, go back through Dolly and Patsy Cline and even further back. None of that applies to this specific discussion about the level of influence in music of the 2010s though.

you really don't see how one of the best selling artists of this decade who started out as country and continued to incorporate elements of country in her music even as her music increasingly transitioned to pop could possibly have a major influence on other crossover acts? you don't see how Swift possibly allowed for country artists like Lady Antebellum and Maren Morris to score their own top 40 pop hit? You don't see how these artists can make country have appeal to a younger set of people that has no idea who Shania Twain and Dolly Parton are, but do know who Taylor Swift is solely because she's been extremely active in their lifetimes in the last decade(which may or may not in itself lead to them discovering those older artists)?

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
Drake, Beyonce, or Kendrick Lamar, maybe even Future or Young Thug....are more deserving. Their influence on 2010-2020 music and culture is way more palpable and noticeable on a day to day basis than Taylor fucking Swift. Her music is ephemeral, artificial, soulless, empty, designed in a corporate boardroom to align with industry trends. The trends the artists I mentioned are setting

Rap and hip hop is the dominant genre of this decade

Do Drake, Beyonce and Kendrick even have a entirely self written album track between them?
I couldn't see one (after a quick scan), outside of a 16 second 'interlude' by Beyonce.

You'd like to think an "Artist of the Decade" could paint at least 1 picture on their own.

They seem to have about half a dozen writers on each of their tracks these days ("corporate boardroom" applies way more to them than Swift now).

Compare that to Swift, who has a good 20+ entirely self penned tracks on her discography..and the last couple of albums have pretty much just been her and Antonoff (save for a handful of tracks), although she had 3 completely self written songs on Lover.

You can hate Swift's "art", but at least she has shown the ability to paint on her own.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you feel about Swift collaborating with Def Leppard? Because it happened

Indifferent at the time to be honest. It was a good way for Def Leppard to market themselves to a different audience though. I felt they made her songs better live as I'm not a country music fan. Def Leppard were a major influence on modern day pop and country though so it worked well I think.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't agree with this when Beyoncé's Self-Titled and Lemonade came this decade too

But I think people saying she isn't arguably impactful are out of touch. She's one of the most successful musicians ever, from awards, to sales, to streams, to reviews.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
Do Drake, Beyonce and Kendrick even have a entirely self written album track between them?
I couldn't see one (after a quick scan), outside of a 16 second 'interlude' by Beyonce.

You'd like to think an "Artist of the Decade" could paint at least 1 picture on their own.

They seem to have about half a dozen writers on each of their tracks these days ("corporate boardroom" applies way more to them than Swift now).

Compare that to Swift, who has a good 20+ entirely self penned tracks on her discography..and the last couple of albums have pretty much just been her and Antonoff (save for a handful of tracks), although she had 3 completely self written songs on Lover.

You can hate Swift's "art", but at least she has shown the ability to paint on her own.

Kendrick has writers? Are you reading the credits as if everyone wrote the main track or something? Even samples from 30 years ago will be credited by name. Doesn't mean they contributed to the main body.

What the hell kind of boardroom speak leads to something like To Pimp a Butterfly?

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ah yes, the old "real music is made by only one person" meme.

Shall we follow it up with an all-time classic, the "real music contains instruments" meme?

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
you really don't see how one of the best selling artists of this decade who started out as country and continued to incorporate elements of country in her music even as her music increasingly transitioned to pop could possibly have a major influence on other crossover acts? you don't see how Swift possibly allowed for country artists like Lady Antebellum and Maren Morris to score their own top 40 pop hit? You don't see how these artists can make country have appeal to a younger set of people that has no idea who Shania Twain and Dolly Parton are, but do know who Taylor Swift is solely because she's been extremely active in their lifetimes in the last decade(which may or may not in itself lead to them discovering those older artists)?
Like you said, country pop has been a thing for quite a while, in fact both Swift and Rascal Flatts achieved crossover success during roughly the same time, just like The Dixie Chicks and Carrie Underwood before them and Lady Antebellum after them. You'd have a point if pop country was all but dead before Taylor, but that's not really the case. The fact that she's the most successful artist who transitioned from Country to Pop doesn't necessarily translate to influence, otherwise the radio will be filled with songs that are heavily influenced by Red and 1989. That argument is a lot stronger in favor of Rihanna and, as much as I hate to say it, Drake.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Biggest pop star of the decade? Absolutely. Artist of the decade? Not a chance.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Like you said, country pop has been a thing for quite a while, in fact both Swift and Rascal Flatts achieved crossover success during roughly the same time, just like The Dixie Chicks and Carrie Underwood before them and Lady Antebellum after them. You'd have a point if pop country was all but dead before Taylor, but that's not really the case. The fact that she's the most successful artist who transitioned from Country to Pop doesn't necessarily translate to influence, otherwise the radio will be filled with songs that are heavily influenced by Red and 1989. That argument is a lot stronger in favor of Rihanna and, as much as I hate to say it, Drake.
The thing with it is it doesn't just have to be her with the influence, but in response to people saying Taylor Swift one of the biggest musicians of the last decade has had no influence whatsoever(which is ludicrous, people really shouldn't let their dislike of a certain artist cloud the over all picture) I bring that specific portion of music up, because she has had an influence in it. You seem to be interpreting what I'm saying as Swift is the only influence in country pop or pop country or what have you, when that is not the case. I am merely bringing up country pop crossover music as an example of music she has had some influence in.

You know who else had influence in this particular subset of music that hasn't been mentioned? Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana.

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
Acceptable winners for this award:
  • Kendrick Lamar
  • Future
  • Young Thug
  • Gucci Mane
  • Lex Luger

I'm not really someone who follows music at all.

I don't like Taylor swift. But I could name probably 20 songs of hers.

I've heard of Kendrick Lamar and Gucci mane. But I could not name a single song.
I've never heard of the others.

If a laymen hasn't even heard of them, are they really that influential?

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019

I've heard of Kendrick Lamar and Gucci mane. But I could not name a single song.

That's really more on you than anything.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
She's inspired a ton of women to pick up a guitar and try to learn music
I'd say that was definitely true for her early work but I don't know if you can say the same of this decade.

I think she was at her peak influence in 2008. This isn't a dig or to say that wasn't meaningful or anything. It's just hard for me to think of 2019 Taylor as impactful or influential in any significant way.

I mean, good for her. It's more music awards than I've ever won. Not hatin, just statin.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Influence =/= popularity. While the two do correlate, to say one is a result of the other is incorrect.

Have you ever heard of Max Martin? Or Cathy Dennis? Or DJ Screw?

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
Taylor has 5 multi platinum pure sales albums this decade. That is why she is the artist of the decade. American Music Awards has always been about sales and billboard performance.