• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, you don't see what's wrong? or are you just playing stupid to shitpost

I'm so sorry that... someone who signed a contract is bound by it I guess. Also no need for personal attacks.

The conduct of other labels or rights holders isn't really relevant in the discussion of what's happening here.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
When she first got her record deal, she signed an exploitative contract. Which is a pretty common thing that happens to newly signed artists.

Whether her family should have been in the position to get her a better contract or not, my opinion is the same.

It's true that it's completely legal for the new owners of her old record label to own all her old recordings ...but I honestly can't fault Taylor Swift for publicly complaining about scummy behavior that goes on in the record industry, even if it's legal for them to do, and even if the complaining is self serving for her own benefit.

Basically my opinion is if you own someone else's music, expect that they will complain about that fact and just live with it. Treat it as an expected cost of doing business and move on with your life as the new owner of their music. Getting into a feud via the press with the artist doesn't do anything for me.

And I say this as someone who was NEVER really a fan of Taylor Swift, and I think there are other much better pop artists.

Sly Chimera

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
But that is 100% not true due to how copyright law works. That copyright, controlled by who owns the publishing, allows live performance rights. Period. Never in the history of recorded music (* and if Im wrong on this, please cite an example), has a live performance been argued to be a re-recording. Hell, I don't even understand THAT part of it because if she owns the publishing, she should be able to re record at any damn time. The masters are simply the original "physical" versions of the songs on the album, that's it. The underlying compositions are completely separate and that's where the copyright/publishing comes into play. Nowhere have I seen that Scooter owns her publishing, just the masters.
Contract law supersedes copyright law. Is their a copy of this contract?

birdinsky

Jun 10, 2019
The music industry is exploitative, absolutely no argument from me on that. Having said that, her father owned a portion of the record company she signed to. Her family was in a far more privileged and educated position than 99% of upcoming artists and her parents still managed to let greed win out and sign her to a bad contract. That's inexcusable and a shining example of how greed and "I'm gonna make my kid a star!" pie-in-the-sky thinking shoulders just as much blame in this scenario as the toxic music industry does.

That's fair. I don't fault anyone for not feeling BAD for Taylor Swift; I just think that leaving it at "yeah, that's how the industry works" or "yeah, and you agreed to those terms" is still a bad take.

If, say, she were LYING, whether about the terms of the contract or how they affect her (and I really can't tell based on her "letters" which are frustratingly vague), or as it turns out actually millions in debt to the label, or whatever, that's something else. As raised by other posters, it's unclear why, legally, she wouldn't be allowed to perform her songs, to the extent that it feels like spin on her part. And I think it's fair to say, hey, maybe I don't believe what she's saying. But again, not the same as saying "she agreed to that."

Last edited:

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
When you sign a contract you're bound by it.

Also lol at rich people complaining to their fanbase they can't get richer by rehashing old stuff.

I'll have some empathy when you're living paycheck to paycheck but not if you're a multimillionaire.

kiKs__

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 3, 2019
Saving my sympathies for someone other than Taylor fucking Swift lol They bought the masters and can do what they want with them. Telling your fans to harass them won't change a thing.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
People blaming Taylor here are coming off pretty petty.
These contracts young artists are forced to sign are usually horribly lopsided and only benefit the suits.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
I don't exactly trust Taylor Swift as she's made clear in the past that she's willing to embellish the facts to portray herself as a victim but I do think contracts made before adulthood are bullshit to a degree and should have some kind of an out. If that led to less child stars or whatever doomsday scenario then so be it.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017

Also lol at rich people complaining to their fanbase they can't get richer by rehashing old stuff.

I'll have some empathy when you're living paycheck to paycheck but not if you're a multimillionaire.

Cool that you'll throw your morals out the window if somebody isn't poor.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Imagine defending exploitative industry practices with the circular argument that Taylor Swift signed a bad deal, and therefore the terms of the bad deal are justified.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
The TMZ article in here says she owes them 7 million and hasn't paid anything in a year. If that article is true then she is making this bed for herself (at this time, I won't for a second defend record company contracts), they are using the means at their disposal to leverage that money back.

If the article is correct she is also using her fans to pressure, and probably harass, the execs. Which is very shitty

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
The TMZ article in here says she owes them 7 million and hasn't paid anything in a year. If that article is true then she is making this bed for herself (at this time, I won't for a second defend record company contracts), they are using the means at their disposal to leverage that money back.

If the article is correct she is also using her fans to pressure, and probably harass, the execs. Which is very shitty

Didn't see that article. Yeah, shit all around.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
She hasn't paid her debts and is now using her fanbase to harass them. Considering she has a history of misleading i'd rather not cry wolf so she can increase her wealth.

If she were some young artist just getting by this would be a different situation.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
i don't see other artists being banned from singing their catalog despite not owning their music.
It's rare, but something like this has happened before. John Fogerty got sued for sounding too much like himself. And I remember there being a huge issue over Slash vs. GnR and who owned the rights to play their most popular songs live. same iirc with the remnants of Oasis. There have been other cases of bands not being able to print their lyrics on cd re-releases because they didn't own the words they themselves wrote.

Anyway, this is undoubtly a shitty situation for Swift, but definitely not unprecedented. She/her parents probably signed a shitty contract when she was young that gave her original label full control over every master and this is a sad side-effect of that.

Last edited:

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. The amount of corporate bootlickers there are here.

Sure Taylor Swift is a millionaire but the people she's talking about are at least a magnitude richer.

The idea that "oh you signed a contract, live with the consequences" is so stupid.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basically it seems like to me the Scooter Braun guy knows if Taylor Swift re-records her music next year, the value of his masters drops like a rock.

So he's trying to force her into some kind of deal to prevent her from doing that.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

One day you guys are going to need to get over this hate boner for anyone worth millions and understand musicians and novelists, the people that earn those millions by touching the hearts of and connecting with millions of people, are in no way the same as those who earn billions exploiting other people. Corporations and their executives are the enemy, not people who sell millions of copies of their work to millions of people that like it.

It isn't really about the money. This is music she wrote and performed and men who had nothing to do with any of that creative process are telling her she can't perform any of her own songs unless she behaves like a good little girl and does what she's told. You're basically siding with the corporation on this one.

It wouldn't matter if she was an indie artist or The Beatles, that's fucked up.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
She signed a record contract giving them the masters at age 15, and then after her contract ended label offered her the ability to "earn" them back one at at a time as long as she kept working for them for at least another decade, and then just sold them all to Kanye West's manager without ever giving her the option to buy them when she wouldn't play ball.

Unless you think you should also be held to everything you agreed to at age 15 for the rest of your life they're being a little unfair, she's not asking to get them for free lol

This is America, you'd be surprised at just how many people would say yes she should be held to everything she agreed to at 15 with the argument being: she should have researched.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I mean that's how it works. It's not that there are these magical talented people who become stars solely off their talent. There are millions of talented people out there. She sold her music to become popular and famous. To be pushed above the others.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Reminds me of what happened to Poe (the singer). Got screwed by her label/people that bought the rights to her music rights and tied her up in court over it all, not even allowed to sing her own songs or make new ones (though she did under a pseudoname). However it basically killed her career, she was legit at the cusp of stardom and had a good selling album under her belt and opening for Depeche Mode.

I mean:

Some of my favorite 90's songs.

I hope that Taylor can get this worked out and get the rights to her music.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
One day you guys are going to need to get over this hate boner for anyone worth millions and understand musicians and novelists, the people that earn those millions by touching the hearts of and connecting with millions of people, are in no way the same as those who earn billions exploiting other people. Corporations and their executives are the enemy, not people who sell millions of copies of their work to millions of people that like it.

It isn't really about the money. This is music she wrote and performed and men who had nothing to do with any of that creative process are telling her she can't perform any of her own songs unless she behaves like a good little girl and does what she's told. You're basically siding with the corporation on this one.

It wouldn't matter if she was an indie artist or The Beatles, that's fucked up.
YUP

love all the people in this thread (gonna play the odds and say they're 98% men) telling the female musician who's been in this industry literally her entire adult life and knows more about it than all of us combined ever will "well, I mean, that's kinda how it works"

just for once maybe have the smallest shred of empathy. Just a little bit

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
This is a win-win for TS.

- TS sold rights to her masters, made her money, paid her debt.
- TS is about to rerecord EVERYTHING she has done in the past ten years of her career. She owns copyright, so she can do this.
- TS fans about to EAT IT UP and double dip on these rerecordings, pushing her to more platinums than ever before.
- TS documentary on Netflix will be watched by everyone and their mother when it's out because of this added scenario.
- TS makes shit loads of money by 2021. Shit loads. And she will continue making it for the next ten years just rereleasing same old material.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
It's hilarious that people still don't know know exploitative music contracts are for new artists. Like how is this not widely known at this point?

The amount of hate she gets is puzzling.
It's mind boggling that this shit still happens. The movie industry was like this for decades where you'd have to sign an exclusive deal with say Universal for 5 pictures and then get burnt out cause they run you ragged ie Judy garland.

I get a studio/individuals owning the album but a musician is different than other entertainers as your image and voice are your whole livelihood. Your like an independent contractor and so many young people and especially women get screwed by it. You sign a contract at 15 and now they can bar you from your own intellectual property ;that's got to be so frustrating.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So you are ignoring the whole "The argument is that she can, she is being economic with the facts so as to build support and also galvanise her fanbase."

I see.
It's stupid to have to pay for songs that you wrote and sang just because some assholes have power over you.
The whole system is broken. Honestly, she has enough weight in the industry to make permanent change.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
"Yeah, we can let you sing your stuff at the AMA but only if you never re-record your stuff. :) "
It's so fucking shitty. Why is this legal?

Wasn't she 15 when she got signed? Also, the masters were sold in June without her consent, without letting her buy them back.
She signed a record contract giving them the masters at age 15, and then after her contract ended label offered her the ability to "earn" them back one at at a time as long as she kept working for them for at least another decade, and then just sold them all to Kanye West's manager without ever giving her the option to buy them when she wouldn't play ball.

Unless you think you should also be held to everything you agreed to at age 15 for the rest of your life they're being a little unfair, she's not asking to get them for free lol

Not that I care one way or the other but wouldn't it be illegal or impossible to have a minor sign into a contract? Like any there have to be parental consent for that be go through?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure that is not at all how this works.

Someone who holds only the rights to a recording of a song does not get to dictate when and where tsaid song is performed.

You can record an entire album of covers and sell it without permission, so long as you are paying royalties to the original songwriter.

Look up "compulsory licensing", Taylor.